Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:14 AM

Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality (6455 Views)

US Still Making Moves To Make Nigeria Accept Homosexuality / Buhari Is Not God, Should Accept Criticism, - PDP / People Should Accept The Fact That Nigeria Is Changing. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Nobody: 9:58pm On Aug 03, 2015
Talk about legalizing or at least ignoring homosexuals in Nigeria and the average Nigerian youth will show up online and begin to throw tantrums. The reason for their homophobia is simple, its unnatural for a man to love a fellow man, its against our customs and traditions and it’s a moral ill. So when President Goodluck Jonathan signed the bill criminalising homosexuality, the whole Nigerians commended the “feat”. Of course, the West spoke out and Nigerians, in their usual bursts of inferiority complex, a deep seated fear that they were colonised and 50 years later, they are still dependent on their colonisers, spoke out, saying that America cannot impose its “devilish gay agenda” in Nigeria. Fine and good. Now, let us carefully dissect this situation, at the end, you’ll see that Nigerians are contradicting themselves.

According to the human rights declaration, all humans have the
• Right to self-determination[1]
• Right to liberty[2]
• Right to due process of law[2]
• Right to freedom of movement[3]
• Right to freedom of thought[4]
• Right to freedom of religion[4]
• Right to freedom of expression[5]
• Right to peacefully assemble[6]
• Right to freedom of association[7]

( Ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_rights )

So if we claim that homosexuality is a moral ill, what right have we to choose for another person, his religion? What right have we to decide what is right and what is not about another person’s life? Homosexuality, sex between two people of same sex in the privacy of their rooms and with the full consent of both parties does no harm to anyone, it doesn’t infringe of any of your fundamental human rights so what right have you to judge another human, to castigate another human simply because he chose to love a man his sex? If you claim its against your religion, do you know if his permits it?

Africans, having gone through slavery should be at the fore front of homosexual rights, not its biggest obstacle. In 1959, the police in Virginia arrested a couple, Richard Loving and Mildred Jeter. Their crime? They were married to each other. Richard was a white guy and Mildred a colored lady. If this had happened in 2015, Nigerians would have been online, throwing all manner of vituperations and accusing the United States of supporting racism. But then again, what is the difference between arresting an interracial couple for choosing to love one another and arresting a homosexual couple for choosing to love one another? Nothing! In both cases, the couples are arrested because the chose to be different, not to follow forged paths. At the end, Nigeria’s hostility towards homosexuals would be the greatest hypocrisy there ever was.

Another argument, perhaps, the most ridiculous of them all, is that homosexuality is against our culture and traditions. Then I begin to wonder which “culture” and which “traditions” these people mean. You sleep with a girl before you get married, it’s not against “our culture”, you become a Christian or a Muslim, it’s not against “our culture”, You marry from another tribe, it’s still not against “our culture”, you even go ahead desecrate shrines in the name of Christianity or Islam and it’s still not against “our culture” then, then when somebody speaks of accepting a man who chose to love another man, which by the way, is none of your business and you spring up with the argument that it is against our “culture” the one begins to wonder if you’re being hypocritical or you just decided to close your eyes to reason. Again, Kendall(1990) posited from her research in various African countries, prominent of which is Lesotho, that African culture, though not recognising homosexual marriages, was not homophobic. So I truly wonder where the argument of “culture” and “tradition” stems from and if this “cultures and traditions” cannot be changed by men who made them.

Finally, the sole aim of this piece is not to ask for the legalisation of same sex marriages in Nigeria, it is to ask for the acceptance of homosexuals as normal sane people who are aware of their decisions. It is to ask for the repeal of the law that criminalises same sex association in Nigeria. When we start to grow tolerant of each other and realise that a love affair between two consenting men or women does not hurt you or affect you in any way is when we’ll understand that being Igbo or Hausa does not really matter when it comes to determining the destiny of Nigeria. I am not a homosexual, but having read so much literature on slavery and what the black race has had to pass through to be accepted, I feel we should embrace and accept the LGBT community in our midst.

References:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/may/21/complex-roots-africa-homophobia
http://thisisafrica.me/homosexuality-african-history-roots-criminalisation-homosexuality/
http://nehandaradio.com/2014/03/10/homosexuality-battle-african-conservatism/

NB; I'll only reply to objective criticisms of this piece.

cc: lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by walemoney007(m): 9:59pm On Aug 03, 2015
K

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by hisprinceship: 9:59pm On Aug 03, 2015
Homo on the loose.
Modified*
But then it is our Culture that is against it so No show. What I Enjoy most is our government strigent stance on the matter it shows it is gradually IndiependEnt in its action without fear of external bodies.
On a lighter note there are very rich GAYS who will invest in our Economy if we accept them. For me I don't accept them so we are the olnes to hustle our future and it is gradually paying off.

But some guys sha

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by benedictnsi(m): 10:00pm On Aug 03, 2015
Thunder weh go fire you don d do press-up now...... E go soon strike you @Op

All these sexy nyash dem, scattered all over the country, wetin go down warm am

Make una no let me vex ooo..... You think say this homo or gay stuff, e get as Nigerian girls take like am?

9 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by madgoat(m): 10:03pm On Aug 03, 2015
SO THE OP IS GAY AND IS TRYING TO LOOK FOR FOLLOWERS AND SOME CONSOLATION ON NAIRALAND undecided

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Ufranklin92(m): 10:03pm On Aug 03, 2015
Op better find money enter USA,weedswallower

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Aromas: 10:06pm On Aug 03, 2015
With the comment I see here so far........ God bless u all. For the guy wey carry dis boring topic com, may u continue to.................

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Swaggzkid: 10:07pm On Aug 03, 2015
Op You dey mad! sef

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by alrahmanonline(m): 10:07pm On Aug 03, 2015
@ OP are you for real? you must be joking...
Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Nobody: 10:10pm On Aug 03, 2015
I hate gay

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Swaggzkid: 10:11pm On Aug 03, 2015
Op You dey mad! sef

Your VIP ticket to hell is ready

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Nobody: 10:12pm On Aug 03, 2015
benedictnsi:
Thunder weh go fire you don d do press-up now...... E go soon strike you @Op

All these sexy nyash dem, scattered all over the country, wetin go down warm am

Make una no let me vex ooo..... You think say this homo or gay stuff, e get as Nigerian girls take like am?

So a gay guy sees another gay guy and they say they love each other, how does it affect you?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Nobody: 10:13pm On Aug 03, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
I hate gay

Has a girl kissing a girl ever been responsible for any problem in your life?

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by kosovo(m): 10:15pm On Aug 03, 2015
The irony is that Nigeria and Kenyan ranks top 5 countries who search for gay related images and videos globally..

I wonder who does the searches.. The same people scream on Nairaland in the day and return to their little cubicle to view those gay media in the night..

The hypocrisy of a black man has always been the reason why their inferiority complex is exposed in full glory.

I normally do not comment on homosexuality and I dont expect the OP to get any meaning input from anyone here..

Life is a choice.. To be or not to be.. I still maintain that everything in life can be learned and un-learned. undecided

9 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Nobody: 10:15pm On Aug 03, 2015
Swaggzkid:
Op You dey mad! sef

Your VIP ticket to hell is ready

there are over 5000 religions, which means over 5000 hells, which one am I going to?

Dont forget, your chance of making heaven is 1 in 5000, assuming youre practicing your religion correctly.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by benedictnsi(m): 10:16pm On Aug 03, 2015
MaziKachi:

So a gay guy sees another gay guy and they say they love each other, how does it affect you?

Oh sorry it doesn't really affect me cos I now see you are part of them and their chief advocate

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 03, 2015
MaziKachi:
Talk about legalizing or at least ignoring homosexuals in Nigeria and the average Nigerian youth will show up online and begin to throw tantrums. The reason for their homo phobia is simple, its unnatural to love a fellow man, its against our customs and traditions and it’s a moral ill. So when President Goodluck Jonathan signed the bill criminalising homosexuality, the whole Nigerians commended the “feat”. Of course, the West spoke out and Nigerians, in their usual burst of inferiority complex, a deep seated fear that they were colonised and 50 years later, they are still dependent on their colonisers, spoke out, saying that America cannot impose its “devilish gay agenda” in Nigeria. Fine and good. Now, let us carefully dissect this situation, at the end, you’ll see that Nigerians are contradicting themselves.

According to the human rights declaration, all humans have the
• Right to self-determination[1]
• Right to liberty[2]
• Right to due process of law[2]
• Right to freedom of movement[3]
• Right to freedom of thought[4]
• Right to freedom of religion[4]
• Right to freedom of expression[5]
• Right to peacefully assemble[6]
• Right to freedom of association[7]

( Ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_rights )

So if we claim that homosexuality is a moral ill, what right have we to choose for another person, his religion? What right have we to decide what is right and what is not about another person’s life? Homosexuality, sex between two people of same sex in the privacy of their rooms and with the full consent of both parties does no harm to anyone, it doesn’t infringe of any of your fundamental human rights so what right have you to judge another human, to castigate another human simply because he chose to love a man his sex? If you claim its against your religion, do you know if his permits it?

Africans, having gone through slavery should be at the fore front of homosexual rights, not its biggest obstacle. In 1959, the police in Virginia arrested a couple, Richard Loving and Mildred Jeter. Their crime? They were married to each other. Richard was a white guy and Mildred a colored lady. If this happened in 2015, Nigerians would have been online, throwing all manner of vituperations and accusing the United States of supporting racism. But then again, what is the difference between arresting an interracial couple for choosing to love one another and arresting a homosexual couple for choosing to love one another? Nothing! In both cases, the couples are arrested because the chose to be different, not to follow forged paths. At the end, Nigeria’s hostility towards homosexuals would be the greatest hypocrisy there ever was.

Another argument, perhaps, the most ridiculous of them all, is that homosexuality is against our cultures and traditions. Then I begin to wonder which “culture” and which “traditions” these people mean. You sleep with a girl before you get married, it’s not against “our culture”, you become a Christian or a Muslim, it’s not against “our culture”, You marry from another tribe, it’s still not against “our culture”, you even go ahead desecrate shrines in the name of Christianity or Islam and it’s still not against “our culture” then, then when somebody speaks of giving a man who chose to love another, which by the way, is none of your business and you spring up with the argument that it is against our “culture” the one begins to wonder if you’re being hypocritical or you just decided to close your eyes to reason. Again, Kendall(1990) posited from her research in various African countries, prominent of which is Lesotho, that African culture, though not recognising homosexual marriages, was not homophobic. So I truly wonder where the argument of “culture” and “tradition” stems from and if this “cultures and traditions” cannot be changed by men who made them.

Finally, the sole aim of this piece is not to ask for the legalisation of same sex marriages in Nigeria, it is to ask for the acceptance of homosexuals as normal sane people who are aware of their decisions. It is to ask for the repeal of the law that criminalises same sex association in Nigeria. When we start to grow tolerant of each other and realise that a love affair between two consenting men or women does not hurt you or affect you in any way is when we’ll understand that being Igbo or Hausa does not really matter when it comes to determining the destiny of Nigeria. I am not a homosexual, but having read so much literature on slavery and what the black race has had to pass through to be accepted, I feel we should embrace and accept the LGBT community in our midst.

References:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/may/21/complex-roots-africa-homophobia
http://thisisafrica.me/homosexuality-african-history-roots-criminalisation-homosexuality/
http://nehandaradio.com/2014/03/10/homosexuality-battle-african-conservatism/

NB; I'll only reply to objective criticisms of this piece.
^ Do you really think that this homosexuality nonsense should be a PRIORITY, given all the problems in Africa?

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by deadZONE: 10:21pm On Aug 03, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
I hate gay
are u a guy? this is a topic for guys, am a guy and i love watching two girls make out... its a normal thing try nd get use to the guy stuff....

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Nobody: 10:22pm On Aug 03, 2015
imhotep:

^ Do you really think that this homosexuality nonsense should be a PRIORITY, given all the problems in Africa?

What are the "problems" in Africa if not intolerance? The Famine, the corruption, the wars and everything is just because we are divided across ethnic, religious and social lines. When Africans become tolerant of Each other and work as a cohesive Unit, half of our problems will be solved. Tolerance means accepting a gay guy as your friend even when you are not gay.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by deadZONE: 10:23pm On Aug 03, 2015
I think its high time we make provision for homosexual laws in this country... and put a death penalty on child rape.
Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Nobody: 10:23pm On Aug 03, 2015
MaziKachi:

What are the "problems" in Africa if not intolerance? The Famine, the corruption, the wars and everything is just because we are divided across ethnic, religious and social lines. When Africans become tolerant of Each other and work as a cohesive Unit, half of our problems will be solved. Tolerance means accepting a gay guy as your friend even when you are not gay.
Can you find ANOTHER way of addressing this alleged intolerance, instead of proposing diabolical homosexuality.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 03, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
I hate gay
I hate gayism also. Mtschew.
It is a diabolical movement

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by kosovo(m): 10:28pm On Aug 03, 2015
imhotep:

Can you find ANOTHER way of addressing this alleged intolerance, instead of proposing diabolical homosexuality.

If you didn't have sex before marriage, you may have a slight point..

But if you were testing before marriage, or not married and still testing.. then the word hypocrisy won't be out of place here..

I am just trying to be rational here. I know someone would soon say I am gay.. Which of course, is far from reality..

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by babyfaceafrica: 10:29pm On Aug 03, 2015
@OP ....in as much you have put in a well documented opinion why Nigerians should embrce gay..it aint going to happen...at least for naw!!...dere are three main dominant religion in this country ..none supports it...nigerians are deeply spiritually aalthough dey do not really act it,but am sure dey won't acced to this gy issue.also OP we have cultures and tradition which are in contrast to wht this same sex is aall about..for anybody who wnts to indulge in gay,I vehemently suggest you drop this act,but m not a judge nor am I ur father,so do as you wish but be prepared to receive anything that comes from it...... NB...people should stop busing the OP,you caan simply ignore..thts how mature minds do
Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Nobody: 10:31pm On Aug 03, 2015
i think i can accomodate homosexuality but i find it difficult to understand transgenders.
Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Nobody: 10:31pm On Aug 03, 2015
deadZONE:
I think its high time we make provision for homosexual laws in this country... and put a death penalty on child rape.

This country allows Children to get married to lawmakers, but disallows homosexuality. I wonder which one is the greater evil.
Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Nobody: 10:33pm On Aug 03, 2015
kosovo:

If you didn't have sex before marriage, you may have a slight point..

But if you were testing before marriage, or not married and still testing.. then the word hypocrisy won't be out of place here..

I am just trying to be rational here. I know someone would soon say I am gay.. Which of course, is far from reality..
To HELL with Homosexuality.

If you are not gay, then go an marry some fine lady, and LOOK FOR CREATIVE SOLUTIONS TO AFRICA'S PROBLEMS

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Nobody: 10:37pm On Aug 03, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
@OP ....in as much you have put in a well documented opinion why Nigerians should embrce gay..it aint going to happen...at least for naw!!...dere are three main dominant religion in this country ..none supports it...nigerians are deeply spiritually aalthough dey do not really act it,but am sure dey won't acced to this gy issue.also OP we have cultures and tradition which are in contrast to wht this same sex is aall about..for anybody who wnts to indulge in gay,I vehemently suggest you drop this act,but m not a judge nor am I ur father,so do as you wish but be prepared to receive anything that comes from it...... NB...people should stop busing the OP,you caan simply ignore..thts how mature minds do

I'm not gay. Just a person who hates oppression. I believe i sufficiently addressed the issue of "religion" and "culture and tradition" in the piece.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Nobody: 10:39pm On Aug 03, 2015
MaziKachi:

I'm not gay. Just a person who hates oppression. I believe i sufficiently addressed the issue of "religion" and "culture and tradition" in the piece.
Are you aware that homosexuality is part and parcel of many voodoo rituals?
Better ask your elders about African traditions/realities before you parrot American propaganda.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by Swaggzkid: 10:39pm On Aug 03, 2015
MaziKachi:

there are over 5000 religions, which means over 5000 hells, which one am I going to?

Dont forget, your chance of making heaven is 1 in 5000, assuming youre practicing your religion correctly.

You need Jesus

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by tayoxx(m): 10:40pm On Aug 03, 2015
Werey wo le leyi
Re: Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality by kosovo(m): 10:41pm On Aug 03, 2015
imhotep:

To HELL with Homosexuality.

If you are not gay, then go an marry some fine lady, and LOOK FOR CREATIVE SOLUTIONS TO AFRICA'S PROBLEMS

The last time I checked, Apple's CEO Tim Cook is openly Gay.. I doubt you are smarter than him, because his company has $190b cash that they don't know what to do with.

Either way, your frustration didn't let you answer a simple question...

In the early 80's your type would be put to death for defying a girl who isn't your wife..

I remember then, from stories.. they do make-out on a white bed-sheet. The white sheet is then shown to their families. Blood on it signifies purity while it's absense showed unfaithfulness.

The girl who had blood on her white bed-sheet was celebrated while the one who didn't have was mocked round the village...

What went wrong?. Mr. Moralist.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NASS To Receive Food Hygiene Bill / Lalong Sends Bill Which Will Encourage Ranching To Plateau Assembly / Heavy Tension As IPOB Members Enters Bush Following Kanu Order PICTURES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.