Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,052 members, 7,807,162 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal (14551 Views)

Why Do People Deny Power Of God? / The Power Of Choice / Eckhart Tolle Spiritual Healing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jan 19, 2016
MizMyColi:
Meditation helps develop a calm, clear, well-trained, self-observant mind. The Buddha accurately claimed that this is the basis for insightful decision-making and action. Where we differ from the Buddha is in the purposes for which we now use it.

Nowadays we use meditation for relaxation and sleep; for stress, anxiety and health; for thought-control and emotional restraint; for concentration and decision-making; for self-knowledge and body-awareness; for sports performance and achieving goals; for aesthetic pleasure, philosophic understanding and much more. A calm, clear, well-focused mind is useful for virtually anything we do. Most Westerners who meditate even within a Buddhist context are likely to do so for these non-Buddhist reasons.

Buddhism deserves respect as a religion and it has given its meditation practices to the world. Other than that, its moral credentials are average. Its indifference to charitable works makes it less compassionate than Christianity or even Western governments. Its psychology is antagonistic to the individual. Its reliance on karma, reincarnation and a duality of body and mind make it quite unscientific. I am grateful to Buddhism for its meditation practices but I am happy to leave the rest behind.

http://www.perthmeditationcentre.com.au/articles/buddhist.htm
cc: Akathriel cheesy

Actually Buddhism is not even a religion. This is where people get it wrong. And Christianity is very far from being compassionate. grin
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 4:19pm On Jan 19, 2016
Mindfulness:

Actually Buddhism is not even a religion. This is where people get it wrong. And Christianity is very far from being compassionate. grin

Hehehehe

So Akathriel "accuses" me of becoming a born again Buddhist and it sounds weird to me.
And I'm thinking if it has anything to do with my whatsapp status update which he saw or a time when I casually mentioned meditation.

smiley
You might wanna read up the link though.
Quite elucidative.

I'm kinda averse to religion. Like you, I enjoy cherry pickinggrin
My utterances lately seem to give off the Buddhist vibe. Even My You-Know-Who cool thinks I'm an Eckist cheesygrin
So I quite share the sentiments of that partial piece I shared.

While it's true that today's brand of christianity and indeed most world religions are anything but compassionate, I believe that at the core; before stuff got muddled up as a result of the urge for control and supremacy....in it's truest and purest form, religion is enshrined in compassion.

And as my friend, Spiritsize would say...
"This lost pure form of religion is what our hearts are yearning for now"
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 4:24pm On Jan 19, 2016
Mindfulness:

I think Buddhism is being refined.
Same way some Christians will boldly tell you that they do not practice religion.

As for megrin
Spreading light and joy, Being and then showing love and compassion, nurturing, being in a state of peace and tranquil, and acknowledging the uniqueness/divinity of the human life is my religionsmiley
When I coin a name for it, I'll let you in on it first grincheesy
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jan 19, 2016
MizMyColi:

Same way some Christians will boldly tell you that they do not practice religion.

No, it is not the same. Buddha never claimed to be a God or to represent God. There is no God in Buddhism.

As for megrin
Spreading light and joy, Being and then showing love and compassion, nurturing, being in a state of peace and tranquil, and acknowledging the uniqueness/divinity of the human life is my religionsmiley

Cool cheesy

Give me a job in your "church" then and let us collect money from our worshippers so that we can get a private jet. grin
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by analice107: 6:52pm On Jan 19, 2016
O my God. Satan is very clever. I was reading this Eckhart stuff here. Mismycoly was sounding like Christian and the same time evasive. I decided to check Tolle out. Lol.
What is he really writing About? Where did get his inspiration from?
After the experience in his home in the night when he wanted to commit suicide, all of sudden joy overflows, can he say that joy is of the Lord?

then two years he became homeless. While on the streets, he started writing this book, how did he get the book deal.
This guy is just going about picking scriptures, twisting them up and making them say what he wants them to say.
If you are Christians, then be weary of the Eckhart scam. There's the devil in the details. Very subtle. And the Queen of Satanism is the one who blew this Tolle guy above board.
Be weary.

Patiently read the links below.
Could Oprah be Wrong? - CBN.com
www1.cbn.com/.../could-oprah-be-
http://www.google.com.ng/url?q=https://www.eckharttolle.com/article/Spirituality-And-The-Christian-Tradition&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi-wunGubbKAhWHVxQKHflgBlkQFgg-MAw&usg=AFQjCNEJz29rLyRc1HrVM6xYUjzYOupNMg
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 7:32pm On Jan 19, 2016
Mindfulness:

No, it is not the same. Buddha never claimed to be a God or to represent God. There is no God in Buddhism.

hmmm
But they have these images and pictures depicting God's. Or is that Hinduism?

Cool cheesy

Give me a job in your "church" then and let us collect money from our worshippers so that we can get a private jet. grin

Hehehehehe
Looool

Errrmm, the church is an exclusive preserve for Christians.
I don't want no one suing megrin
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jan 19, 2016
MizMyColi:

hmmm

Yeah, it is Hinduism. Buddhism is considered to be a religion by some people but it actually is not. You can argue that it is if you go by the second definition though.

[uncountable] the belief in the existence of a god or gods, and the activities that are CONNECTEDwith the worship of them, or in the teachings of a spiritual leader

[countable] one of the systems of faith that are BASED on the belief in the existence of a particular god or gods, or in the teachings of a spiritual leader

However, it is a non theistic belief system / philosophy.

Hehehehehe
Looool

I don't want no one suing megrin

Ok, then we will build a temple. I am the Goddess of Fun and Joy. grin cool grin
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 8:18pm On Jan 19, 2016
Mindfulness:

Yeah, it is Hinduism. Buddhism is considered to be a religion by some people but it actually is not. You can argue that it is if you go by the second definition though.

[uncountable] the belief in the existence of a god or gods, and the activities that are CONNECTEDwith the worship of them, or in the teachings of a spiritual leader

[countable] one of the systems of faith that are BASED on the belief in the existence of a particular god or gods, or in the teachings of a spiritual leader

However, it is a non theistic belief system / philosophy.

I don't know much about Buddhism religion though.

Mine is Love...and like my friend says:

Love has the capacity to believe anything

It's not restricted to any particular type of sect or believe system

It's with arms open wide without any judgement or prejudice

It embraces all and let's all come and go
You come into the realization of something, take it, understand it, learn the lessons it has for you then let it be and move on.
Holding unto anything as the only absolute is mankind's greatest undoing

Ok, then we will build a temple. I am the Goddess of Fun and Joy. grin cool grin

Okay, this got me literally laughing out loud.

Welcome a-future-board ma'am
gringringringrin
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jan 19, 2016
MizMyColi:

You come into the realization of something, take it, understand it, learn the lessons it has for you then let it be and move on.

Love is the most beautiful feeling and I am full of love. Life is beautiful. smiley

gringringringrin

cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 6:51am On Jan 20, 2016
MizMyColi:
Meditation helps develop a calm, clear, well-trained, self-observant mind. The Buddha accurately claimed that this is the basis for insightful decision-making and action. Where we differ from the Buddha is in the purposes for which we now use it.

Nowadays we use meditation for relaxation and sleep; for stress, anxiety and health; for thought-control and emotional restraint; for concentration and decision-making; for self-knowledge and body-awareness; for sports performance and achieving goals; for aesthetic pleasure, philosophic understanding and much more. A calm, clear, well-focused mind is useful for virtually anything we do. Most Westerners who meditate even within a Buddhist context are likely to do so for these non-Buddhist reasons.

Buddhism deserves respect as a religion and it has given its meditation practices to the world. Other than that, its moral credentials are average. Its indifference to charitable works makes it less compassionate than Christianity or even Western governments. Its psychology is antagonistic to the individual. Its reliance on karma, reincarnation and a duality of body and mind make it quite unscientific.

I am grateful to Buddhism for its meditation practices but I am happy to leave the rest behind.

http://www.perthmeditationcentre.com.au/articles/buddhist.htm
cc: Akathriel cheesy
5As by fat and as by oil, my soul will grow fat, and with the lips of praise my mouth will praise you.
6I have remembered you upon my bed and in the nights I meditated upon you
7Because you have been a helper to me and in the shadow of your wings I shall triumph!
- Psalm 63:5-7

I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways
- Psalm 119:48

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart,
be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer
- Psalm 19:14

1How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
2But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night.
3He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season And its leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers
- Psalm 1:1-3

This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth;
but thou shalt meditate therein day and night,
that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein:
for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success
- Joshua 1:8
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 6:52am On Jan 20, 2016
Mindfulness:
Actually Buddhism is not even a religion
Why isnt Buddhism a religion?

Mindfulness:
This is where people get it wrong.
Where and how are people getting it wrong?

Mindfulness:
And Christianity is very far from being compassionate. grin
Why and what makes you post saying Christianity is very far from being compassionate
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 6:52am On Jan 20, 2016
MizMyColi:
Hehehehe

So Akathriel "accuses" me of becoming a born again Buddhist and it sounds weird to me.
And I'm thinking if it has anything to do with my whatsapp status update which he saw or a time when I casually mentioned meditation.

smiley
You might wanna read up the link though.
Quite elucidative.

I'm kinda averse to religion. Like you, I enjoy cherry pickinggrin
Cherry pick with James 1:27

Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means
caring for orphans and widows in their distress
and refusing to let the world corrupt you
- James 1:27

MizMyColi:
My utterances lately seem to give off the Buddhist vibe. Even My You-Know-Who cool thinks I'm an Eckist cheesygrin
So I quite share the sentiments of that partial piece I shared.

While it's true that today's brand of christianity and indeed most world religions are anything but compassionate, I believe that at the core; before stuff got muddled up as a result of the urge for control and supremacy....in it's truest and purest form, religion is enshrined in compassion.

And as my friend, Spiritsize would say...
"This lost pure form of religion is what our hearts are yearning for now"
The nostalgia for God is what the heart is yearning for
Without agape, pure form of religion which the Father approves of, as in James 1:27, is an elusive concept
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 6:53am On Jan 20, 2016
MizMyColi:

As for megrin
Its called the James 1:27 kind
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 6:53am On Jan 20, 2016
MizMyColi:
hmmm
First, religion(s) doesnt necessarily need a deity(ies)
Second, Buddhism hasnt got a worshipping deity
Third, yes you're right, Hinduism have images and pictures depicting gods

MizMyColi:
Hehehehehe
Looool

I don't want no one suing me grin
The church aka ekklesia, are ''the called out'' has no exclusivity
it is an open door policy and welcoming hands invitation to all and sundry

Now, one church, is organic whilst the other church, is an organisation
Backlash or suing might come from the latter one
By the way and just you know, you wont find anywhere in the Bible, of the Apostles, disciples of Jesus, early believers call, address or refer themselves as Christians
MizMyColi:

gringringringrin
Which love please?
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 6:58am On Jan 20, 2016
Mindfulness:
Love is the most beautiful feeling and I am full of love. Life is beautiful. smiley cheesy cheesy
Which sense or expression of love are you here, talking of?
Is it agape, philia, storge, pragma, eros, tough, philautia or ludus?
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jan 20, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
Which sense or expression of love are you here, talking of?
Is it agape, philia, storge, pragma, eros, tough, philautia or ludus?

Agape, philia, eros and philautia. I don't know the meaning of the other ones.
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by nynbrada: 4:14pm On Jan 20, 2016
MizMyColi:

There is no spiritual truth that you will be told now, that deep within you, you do not know already.
What anyone can do is to remind you of that which you have long forgotten.

Hmmm...................what a delusion of grandeur!
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 4:27pm On Jan 20, 2016
nynbrada:

Hmmm...................what a delusion of grandeur!

What's up deariee.
Good afternoonsmiley

Why do you think it's a delusion?
It's okay if you think so though.

Be safewink
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by nynbrada: 5:46pm On Jan 20, 2016
MizMyColi:

What's up deariee.
Good afternoon

Can't complain my beautiful and intelligent sister. And gud evening to yu.

Why do you think it's a delusion?
It's okay if you think so though.
wink

Guess reading through your entire post.
And of course from the spiritual hieght upon which i'm standing, it will be safe if i came to such conclusion.

Well if yu doubt me, i'll like to pose a little question to you.
........can yu raise the dead?

Haha, i' ll be waitng for an answer.

P.S Stumbled into yu last year in the politics section. Love your political thought and leaning.

[b]Edited - [b/] Sorry if my question offended your sensibility.

Had to ask it though.
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizyB(f): 6:40pm On Jan 20, 2016
hello muttleylaff, can i send u a pm?
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 8:00pm On Jan 20, 2016
nynbrada:

Can't complain my beautiful and intelligent sister. And gud evening to yu.

Guess reading through your entire post.
And of course from the spiritual height upon which i'm standing, it will be safe if i came to such conclusion.

Well if yu doubt me, i'll like to pose a little question to you.
........can yu raise the dead?

Haha, i' ll be waitng for an answer.

P.S Stumbled into yu last year in the politics section. Love your political thought and leaning.

[b]Edited -[b/] Sorry if my question offended your sensibility.

Had to ask it though.

Thank Yousmiley
This is the first I've come across your moniker though...

I'll be speaking from the Christian POV.

If that spirit that raised Christ from the dead be in you...

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

For whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world

Whatsoever you bind is bound.

Ye shall decree a thing and it shall come to pass.

For too long, we have read these passages without grasping the power and esence they contain. It is not impossible for me to raise the dead, physically...but I know it's only a matter of time before that starts happening too....the circle of awareness, awakening and consciousness is growing.

All we need to do is Believe.
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by nynbrada: 8:43pm On Jan 20, 2016
MizMyColi:

Thank Yousmiley
This is the first I've come across your moniker though...

I'll be speaking from the Christian POV.

If that spirit that raised Christ from the dead be in you...

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

For whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world

Whatsoever you bind of bound.

Ye shall decree a thing and it shall come to pass.

For too long, we have read these passages without grasping the power and esence they contain. It is not impossible for me to raise the dead, physically...but I know it's only a matter of time before that starts happening too....the circle of awareness, awakening and consciousness is growing.

All we need to do is Believe.

Wow!.........what a beauty of an answer.

Sincerely i wouldn't want to derail your thread with further questions or to keep harping on this same issue.

Have yu on my good books - yeah yu may not understand this line, never mind.

Will wait and see how things pans out.

Take good care.

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 9:24pm On Jan 20, 2016
smiley
nynbrada:

Wow!.........what a beauty of an answer.

Sincerely i wouldn't want to derail your thread with further questions or to keep harping on this same issue.

Have yu on my good books - yeah yu may not understand this line, never mind.

Will wait and see how things pans out.

Take good care.
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by nynbrada: 10:16am On Jan 21, 2016
[quote author=MuttleyLaff post=42146603][/quote]

Just a point of correction.
Yu said the early christians and apostles never called themselves christians.

Well i actually think that the reverse might be the case. As we can see from the following verse of scripture.

1 Peter 4:16 - Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on his behalf.
KJV

I've been enjoying your post though.

God bless.
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by nynbrada: 10:46am On Jan 21, 2016
MizMyColi:
smiley
Good morning.

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 7:23am On Jan 22, 2016
MizyB:
MizyB, hi, yes, of course you can
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 7:24am On Jan 22, 2016
nynbrada:
Just a point of correction.
You said the early christians and apostles never called themselves christians
Yes, I posted that early christians and apostles never called themselves christians
and you ought to have known better not to use 1 Peter 4:16 for shoring your stance

nynbrada:
Well i actually think that the reverse might be the case. As we can see from the following verse of scripture.

1 Peter 4:16 - Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on his behalf.
KJV
You may think you're right, but you arent
as for this issue, 1 Peter 4:16 doesnt give a leg to stand on

Lets take a trip down memory lane,
the word ''Christian'' in Acts 11:26, in 1 Peter 4:16 and in other places, particularly such as in Acts 26:28, is/was not an endearing word
a word given by the Gentile in derision, to the Apostles, disciples of Jesus, early believers etcetera intended to make them seem of little importance or value

And it came to pass that for a whole year they gathered themselves together with the congregation {Gr. ekklesia – called out ones} and taught many people.
And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch
- Acts 11:26

Then Agrippa said to Paul, "Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?
- Acts 26:28

Little poetic licence about going on here,
as I am adding a fictitious detail (i.e. nigger) to 1 Peter 4:16 to make it more interesting
and hoping to make a point, as you give the edited version some serious thought or consideration:

Yet if any man suffer as a nigger, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on his behalf
- 1 Peter 4:16 edited version

Nigger is/was a troublesome word, a slur word, a word used to insult etcetera given to Blacks
Blacks never called themselves niggers,
and on a similar vein, the Apostles, disciples of Jesus, early believers etcetera never called themselves Christians
It was the people at Antioch, out of bewilderment and slighting
who in a contemptuous ridicule and mockery manner, started and/or first called the Apostles, disciples of Jesus, early believers etcetera called Christians

The Apostles, disciples of Jesus, early believers etcetera suffered as Christians (e.g. ridiculed, fed to the lions, burned at stakes etcetera)
and Blacks had some form of discrimination too and suffered as niggers during/in the Slavery and/or Racial Segregation era

nynbrada, saying if you suffer as a nigger, or as a Christian, isnt calling oneself or anyone else, a nigger or christian

Peter knew early believers are likely to have or be subjected to bad or unpleasant experience by a section of the society that calls and/or called them Christians (i.e. a derogatory term)
so he in effect penned that 1 Peter 4:16 verse, implying ''take it on the chin'' IF YOU SUFFER AS A CHRISTIAN
(e.g. if maltreated as a nigger christian, take it in stride)

People sufffer as niggers, get badly treated as niggers, but they dont necessarily go around and outrightly calling themselves niggers

27Jesus and his disciples went on to the villages around Caesarea Philippi. On the way he asked them, "Who do people say I am?"
28They told Him, saying, "John the Baptist; and others say Elijah; but others, one of the prophets."…
29"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"
- Mark 8:27-29

Know who you are and not what others call/called you
Never allow yourself to be defined by the world's someone else's opinion of you

nynbrada:
I've been enjoying your post though.

God bless.
As it happens, it turns out, you've echoed my thought about yours and every other contributor too, so far on this thread
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jan 22, 2016
Sis, you should listen to The Wise Heart by Jack Kornfield (youtube). smiley kiss I am looking forward to your response. cheesy

MizMyColi, where are you?
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 9:16pm On Jan 22, 2016
MizyB:

MuttleyLaff:
MizyB, hi, yes, of course you can

Holler at me here: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizyB(f): 10:08pm On Jan 22, 2016
MuttleyLaff:

Holler at me here: tuslaluled@thrma.com
thank u so much for your attention and approval sir.
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 7:37am On Jan 23, 2016
MizyB:
thank u so much for your attention and approval sir.
Madam I've responded back twice
(i.e. via Nairaland and also directly straight to your mail address)
Shalom

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Are My Tithes Acceptable Unto God Even Though I Don't Go To Church / Has Your Pastor Ever Preached From Songs Of Solomon? / The Untold Story of Job By Johnydon22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.