Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,881 members, 7,806,542 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:01 PM

Igbo Stereotypes - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Stereotypes (27884 Views)

Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 8:47pm On Aug 04, 2015
Ndiigbo are a very diverse group and certain regions have become known for certain characteristics. Do you mind writing some (harmless) stereotypes that you may know

For example
Enugu babes are well educated and calm *in Wizboyy's voice* Nna mehnnn see wife material 50 yards!
But I heard they have frigid tendencies angry

Anambra dudes are the greatest hustlers in all of Africa (and they are disgustingly rich chaiiii)
But I heard they no go school embarassed

Imo state girls are notoriously beautiful and fair
*sings Flavour's Gollibe*
But I heard they too like prostitution lipsrsealed

Abians can make anything. They make fake wey bettah pass original
But I heard that they have a lot of cannibals shocked

Ebonyi people have great farming skills I don't know what to say about this one ooo but its sha good
But I heard no one can understand their dialect cry

My state is included here o so don't come and fight me

cc: gurgle phut adaeze003 igboson1 oremussanctus ecoterrors ihuomadinihu chinenyen
Nnemuka zinachidi

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by brianero24(m): 8:48pm On Aug 04, 2015
anambra dudes been hustling
since1875

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by kennynelcon(m): 8:51pm On Aug 04, 2015
Time
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by BRIGHTTAZ: 8:54pm On Aug 04, 2015
Who be this now? Live ur life and leave we igbo alone.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 8:55pm On Aug 04, 2015
Well, as far as stereotypes go, this is the first time I'm hearing that Enugu girls/people are stereotyped as very educated. The stereotype I've heard all my life is actually the very opposite.

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 9:01pm On Aug 04, 2015
Vanquay:
They are hairy disgusting short Bigoted Gold-Diggas. Manner less Creatures. Drug Traffickers..............#Stereotypes undecided
angry
I said harmless stereotypes. Oga please respect yourself on this thread o

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 9:02pm On Aug 04, 2015
brianero24:
lol grin
At least you laughed. Thank god. Everyone else thinks I'm fighting. It's just supposed to be funny.

BRIGHTTAZ:
Who be this now? Live ur life and leave we igbo alone.
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 04, 2015
Radoillo:
Well, as far as stereotypes go, this is the first time I'm hearing that Enugu girls/people are stereotyped as very educated. The stereotype I've heard all my life is actually the very opposite.
Really? Please explain more. I heard that they are gentle and calm and hate divorce and sabi book like mad wink

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 04, 2015
I don't play by the Rules Mademoiselle undecided
MrsPhyno:

angry
I said harmless stereotypes. Oga please respect yourself on this thread o

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Adaeze003(f): 9:04pm On Aug 04, 2015
Lol... To think I was feeling myself reading the imo part.. then I got to the last part shocked shocked

I like the Anambra hustlers actually, been reading about a few of them. They prove time after time that western education is not what "makes" a man(or woman).

You forgot the most common "igbo girls love money" [size=4pt]which is not too far from the truth tongue[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Young03(m): 9:07pm On Aug 04, 2015
in hype mc's voice....ara ga agba ndi ara n'abania

Mrs phyno ke maka ndi 042
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 04, 2015
Young03:
in hype mc's voice....ara ga agba ndi ara n'abania

Mrs phyno ke maka ndi 042
wink
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 9:10pm On Aug 04, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Really? Please explain more. I heard that they are gentle and calm and hate divorce and sabi book like mad wink

As stereotypes, all true. Except the book part. That stereotype goes to Imo State.

I'm guessing you probably weren't raised in Nigeria, yes?

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Gurgle(f): 9:10pm On Aug 04, 2015
Nnewi women are stubborn. Well all Anambra women are stubborn

Ebonyi and Nsukka people are backward and timid. Don't know how to hustle and scatter wherever they live

Mbaise people are cunning. Kanayo O Kanayo Hm! lipsrsealed although I know hes just acting tongue

Aro people are haughty/arrogant. and also cunning

Owerri people are party animals

Rivers (Ikwerre) people are lazy because of the oil they are enjoying there

Abakaliki people have very hot tempers- the "notherners" of Igboland

Owerri people form a lot- check out the complicated English names they normally answer, chaiiii grin. Victorianna, Seraphinia, or whatever lol

Imo and Anambra women are too "smart" in marriage and quick to divorce. Ebonyi and Enugu women are timid, pushovers and slow to divorce

Port Harcourt people are cunning and somehow wayoish

Ohaofia people are very serious, due to their past occupation as warriors

Enugu people are less corrupt in their dealings. That is, in Enugu state, somebody can come in and expect to get something done without too much wayo attached to it. They are very good record keepers and they are neat with their things. Just driving through Enugu city on a sunny day can make you forget your problems for a while, that place is fine cool

Southern Igbos look down upon northern Igbos as "bush" people

Northern Igbos look down upon southern Igbos as wayo people with fast lives

Aba people are agberos/rogues

Umuahia women are tough, don't take nonsense

Imo state/Owerri ladies marry outside a lot and don't take the guys place too seriously, preferring to to fix their fathers place very well

Ngwa people are cannibals. I think this is actually true but they have stopped the practice

Rivers state people are generally confused in life

Anambra guys don't marry on time. Especially the OMATA kind. And when its time to marry they will dump the girl they have been with for years and take up with one sweet 16 chick from the village, because their "mama said". Imo guys are accused of this too

Ohaofia people sabi build houses pass everybody

Imo state/ Owerri people are light-skinned and/or very good-looking

Ngwa people are short, with muscular build and light skin. eg Nkiru Sylvanus. And they bleach a lot

Enugu/Anambra people have tall stature

Anambra people are industrious. That's true. The list of "notable people from Anambra" on Wikipedia is endless

Well I wasn't going to mention this one but Ihuomadinihu has said it...

Mbaise people will use whatever post they occupy in their workplace to employ all their siblings and the rest of their family in that place...

Remember these are all stereotypes ooo..please nobody report this comment cz I no fit type am again...

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 04, 2015
Radoillo:

As stereotypes, all true. Except the book part. That stereotype goes to Imo State.

I'm guessing you probably weren't raised in Nigeria, yes?
Ah okay.

Mm good guess...
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by bigfrancis21: 9:20pm On Aug 04, 2015
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 9:22pm On Aug 04, 2015
Adaeze003:
Lol... To think I was feeling myself reading the imo part.. then I got to the last part shocked shocked

I like the Anambra hustlers actually, been reading about a few of them. They prove time after time that western education is not what "makes" a man(or woman).

You forgot the most common "igbo girls love money" [size=4pt]which is not too far from the truth tongue[/size]

Imo babes are troublesome! Una get mouth die. I think it's that beauty that's going to you people's head tongue

Any anambra millionaires who are also fine boys dont need an education to approach me. Don't worry I will be educated enough for both of us sha bring money cheesy

If we no like money wetin we go like again? I call that business sense grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Adaeze003(f): 9:30pm On Aug 04, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Imo babes are troublesome! Una get mouth die. I think it's that beauty that's going to you people's head tongue

Any anambra millionaires who are also fine boys dont need an education to approach me. Don't worry I will be educated enough for both of us sha bring money cheesy

If we no like money wetin we go like again? I call that business sense grin grin grin

I'm relatively quiet tho... till you piss me off grin

Lmao @ "educated enough for the two of us" cheesy I tells you...

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 9:31pm On Aug 04, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Ah okay.

Mm good guess... I schooled there tho for sometime. Secondary school.

Oh good.

To the topic: that stereotype about Anambra folk not being educated can pain me eh! cry Heck, we are not far behind Imo in academic achievements and certainly ahead of the other states. angry grin

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 9:39pm On Aug 04, 2015
^ Oh, lookee! A lonely troll trying to get my attention! smiley

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 04, 2015
Radoillo:

Oh good.

To the topic: that stereotype about Anambra folk not being educated can pain me eh! cry Heck, we are not far behind Imo in academic achievements and certainly ahead of the other states. angry grin
Don't let it worry you. You guys still have the reputation for being filthy rich I mean it doesn't really get better than that in terms of stereotypes cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 9:46pm On Aug 04, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Don't let it worry you. You guys still have the reputation for being filthy rich I mean it doesn't really get better than that in terms of stereotypes cheesy

I guess. grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by ChinenyeN(m): 4:49am On Aug 05, 2015
Gurgle:
Ngwa people are cannibals. I think this is actually true but they have stopped the practice.
Lol, how can you think something is true, but then turn around to say that they have stopped the practice. So, even if it were true, you would never have a way of ever truly knowing. Meaning you can never turn around to say that you think it is true, to begin with. But.. if you come my way though, I can help you verify how true the stereotype truly is wink grin

Anyway, I don't know about other groups.. I hear stereotypes for mine a lot. Two in particular, being:
1) Short people - though I'm 6'1" (according to my physician), but maybe I'm just an outlier.
2) Cannibals

I've also heard the one about Abia and their ability to make fake product that turn out to be more in demand than the originals/imports.

Aside from that, I pay practically no mind to the stereotypes. So, I have no real idea what people say about the other groups. The lists are interesting.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Gurgle(f): 5:50am On Aug 05, 2015
ChinenyeN:

Lol, how can you think something is true, but then turn around to say that they have stopped the practice. So, even if it were true, you would never have a way of ever truly knowing. Meaning you can never turn around to say that you think it is true, to begin with. But.. if you come my way though, I can help you verify how true the stereotype truly is wink grin

Anyway, I don't know about other groups.. I hear stereotypes for mine a lot. Two in particular, being:
1) Short people - though I'm 6'1" (according to my physician), but maybe I'm just an outlier.
2) Cannibals

I've also heard the one about Abia and their ability to make fake product that turn out to be more in demand than the originals/imports.

Aside from that, I pay practically no mind to the stereotypes. So, I have no real idea what people say about the other groups. The lists are interesting.

Lol, of course its possible to think its true but they have stopped the practice. Whats wrong with the statement? I heard that from somebody of another generation. Was just trying to be diplomatic since this stereotype is particularly lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed in nature

and Lol not even if you paid me. Chai! Oya come and eat me grin

yeah Aba-made stuff. like OP said they can imitate anything
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by kechywillz(m): 8:01am On Aug 05, 2015
This thread is sentimental. Op u tryna segregrate our ppl
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 05, 2015
kechywillz:
This thread is sentimental. Op u tryna segregrate our ppl
Not at all....

I'm very pan-Igbo ( is that a word grin) just wanted to celebrate our differences a little. We all know that these stereotypes mean nothing. I mean you meet fair girls who are prostitutes from Enugu state and you meet great farmers in Anambra so...... Just stereotypes. Not really true. wink
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by odumchi: 2:26pm On Aug 05, 2015
Hahah, onwa bu asiri beer parlor. grin

I've heard a fair share of these funny stereotypes myself. Apparently it's thought that northern Abians are naturally disposed to violence while Nde Owere hold advanced degrees in iku ngwori and producing umu mperete.

Nde anyi ka anyi chitukwanu onwe anyi ochi!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by ChinenyeN(m): 3:42pm On Aug 05, 2015
Gurgle:
Lol, of course its possible to think its true but they have stopped the practice. Whats wrong with the statement? I heard that from somebody of another generation. Was just trying to be diplomatic since this stereotype is particularly lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed in nature

Lol, I get you. No worries.

Gurgle:
and Lol not even if you paid me. Chai! Oya come and eat me grin
The bolded counts as a written invitation o! And who knows. I may soon come back to remind you and take you up on this offer. Before then however, I must get you to try our various flesh delicacies. After all, it is our local custom to fatten up prime nwamgbede like yourself before consummation go begin.. or abi na consumption lipsrsealed grin

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 05, 2015
odumchi:
Hahah, onwa bu asiri beer parlor. grin

I've heard a fair share of these funny stereotypes myself. Apparently it's thought that northern Abians are naturally disposed to violence while Nde Owere hold advanced degrees in iku ngwori and producing umu mperete.

Nde anyi ka anyi chitukwanu onwe anyi ochi!
Please translate cry
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 05, 2015
Gurgle:

Owerri people are party animals

I've heard this one wellar! Some people consider them like the Yorubas of Igboland if that makes any sense (and in the best possible way ofc )

I think I can guess what state you're from, you this lady......

Why do you think that Enugu and Anambra people 'act' so different and have very different stereotypes when they are the two 'closest' states. Hope you understand my question embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

10 Reasons Why Nigeria Is The Best Country In The World / Most Cubans Originated From Yorubaland – Ambassador / African American Tourists Visit Oba Of Benin (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.