Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,663 members, 7,801,917 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

Igbo Stereotypes - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Stereotypes (27862 Views)

Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 11:22pm On Aug 06, 2015
Gurgle:

Ok. Thanks, noted

do you ever participate in masquerades? Ekpe or otherwise
Lol who got this thread cleaned up? Nice one
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Gurgle(f): 11:22pm On Aug 06, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Lol who got this thread cleaned up? Nice one

...it wasn't me lol

Maybe Vanqu.ay has a conscience after all... lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Afam4eva(m): 12:42am On Aug 07, 2015
MrsPhyno:
Ndiigbo are a very diverse group and certain regions have become known for certain characteristics. Do you mind writing some (harmless) stereotypes that you may know

For example
Enugu babes are well educated and calm *in Wizboyy's voice* Nna mehnnn see wife material 50 yards!
Enugu babes/women are reputed to be calm and collected and make the best wives but never for once has Enugu babes and Education being mentioned. They're just averagely educated like everyone else even stereotypically.
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by PreciousBro: 12:50am On Aug 07, 2015
cool cool

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Afam4eva(m): 1:00am On Aug 07, 2015
There are truths in stereotypes but they don't tell the entire story. Here are common stereotypes that I have heard.

I always think people from Abia especially Ngwa to be short. Of course I've heard about the eating human flesh part and that stereotype was rife when I lived in Port-hacourt. I guess it's due to thebcloseneas.

Anambra people represent the best and worst of Igbos. Actually, most common Igbo stereotypes are analysis of Anambra people. Anambra people are proud and have this superiority aura about them. Even when they dance, they never bend down like we Enugu people do.hey dance by stretching themselves upwards. Their women are also thought to be controllers of men. My cousin once described Anambra women as "Umu nwanyi Anambra, ishi ha na di hot".

Ebonyi people are usually referred to as the Hausas of Igboland owing to their supposed quest for blood and unforgiving spirit. They are also thought to be content with what they have. They don't have that typical stereotypical Igbo quest for material things at all cost. Their women also make good wives.

Enugu people are one group that I've not heard a lot of stereotypes about except recently when I started hearing about how their men are stingy. Don't know how true that is cos I just sent 100k to Mrsphyno's account. Enugu women also make the best wives. They are yhe definition submissive.

Imo people are somewhat different from other Igbos in terms of their lifestyle. I read some people calling them the Yorubas of Igboland. They are thought to be liberal but sometimes they take it to far. They are mavericks and not loyal. Who is that Eastern politician that is most hated in the east. Who are those APC supporters on Nairaland who supports anyone that insults Igbos as long as they support Rochas? But Imo women are pretty and are hardworking.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 1:09am On Aug 07, 2015
Afam4eva:

Enugu babes/women are reputed to be calm and collected and make the best wives but never for once has Enugu babes and Education being mentioned. They're just averagely educated like everyone else even stereotypically.
Oh....
Maybe that was a bit of projection on my part grin
Thanks for your additions. 100k indeed angry grin

Also PreciousBro
So funny! I laughed out loud.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Afam4eva(m): 1:10am On Aug 07, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Oh....
Maybe that was a bit of projection on my part grin
It could be because of the way they carry themselves.
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Gurgle(f): 1:23am On Aug 07, 2015
PreciousBro hahahahaha grin grin
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Gurgle(f): 1:29am On Aug 07, 2015
Afam4eva, I have also heard the one about Enugu guys being stingy. Hope youre not included hahaha

1 Like

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Afam4eva(m): 1:31am On Aug 07, 2015
Gurgle:
Afam4eva, I have also heard the one about Enugu guys being stingy. Hope youre not included hahaha
Just forward your account number to me. As Mrsphyno's grin

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Gurgle(f): 1:31am On Aug 07, 2015
Afam4eva:

Just forward your account number to me. As Mrsphyno's grin

Lol, forwarding. Hope it wont be a meagre amount o angry
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by ChinenyeN(m): 1:44am On Aug 07, 2015
Gurgle:
LOL whats wrong with you

If I ever see you in real life Im going to warn everybody about you..tufiaaa angry sad grin grin

Flesh eater! Hmmm

Although I have to admit, Ngwa music is the bombbb grin Im always playing it

mtcheww See you. Don't act as if you are not intrigued by my proposition. In short, don't just worry. In time.
Which Ngwa music do you listen to sef?
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Afam4eva(m): 1:49am On Aug 07, 2015
Which one is Ngwa Music. I don't know if I've heard any. But I want to believe that most of those Igbo gospel music that my dad used to listen to were of Ngwa musicians.
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Taiwo20(m): 7:05am On Aug 07, 2015
PreciousBro:
Hmmm Stereotypes huh ? lol ok o, I hope no one gets pained o, after all its nothing but just stereotypes,although to me, most or few of these stereotypes are hypothetical facts!! I've got a lot to spill.... smiley igbos are generally individualistic with their approach. The egalitarian nature has its bad and good side with the good of course, presiding over the bad, but the bad is scary,especially on our women!! Yes!! I laugh when we defend them against other ethnic women's infidelity, anybody that doesn't know the average igbo woman can cheat is definitely a lover of lies!!

The fearlessness in our women sparks that knack for self independence and hunger to have an opinion or be heard, this when too much,reflects a vice in our women(that extreme feminism approach to things). Although unlike other women of different ethnic background,ours don't cheat much grin but while others cheat on promiscuity grounds ours cheat on a revenge cause or materialistic need(avarice)/greed! Especially Anambra women tongue this makes igbos generally selfish in their ways and having a survival instinct to things hence our resilience power... We tend to always disagree on matters that concerns tribal sentiments unlike others that know there's strength in unity, sorry we don't. Every man/woman wants to have a say na alaigbo. Moving on...

Abia ! Hmmm ndi n'ri mmadu, Abia men are industrious and foolish lol their women are tasteless and aren't quite good cooks ,they tend to love anything outside igboland, but the Aro communities are,just like the ones in Imo, proud,seemingly educated and boasters, they like quarrels and pity fights, their women gossip, in all the shops situated in aba,umuahia,are filled with gossips from women of Abia extraction.

Anambra! Hmmm ndi ogwu ego . Anambra men are,if not the most successful men in igboland, although they carry weight in all the aforementioned stereotypes of igbos ,being selfish/greedy, proud, sometimes empty,loud,strong-willed too, hungry for wealth whether through good or bad,sha I must make it,even if I have to kill..their women are flirts, stay-at-home-wives' and suck their husbands wealth,they are usually boutique owners,established by their men, very materialistic in nature and can't stay with a broke aSsS-dude lol(never,even when they don't have themselves) grin if their husbands don't provide,infidelity is almost inevitable ,it is known across igbo-land that Anambra people ,no matter how learned or educated they are,they still suffer incurable illiteracy lol . Sorry o!!

Ebonyi. Hmmm ,bush people, hot tempered, easily provoked and uneducated. Industrious and strong-willed,tasteless/classless and wild, emotional and empty lol. Their women are ProSs shocked and emotional,they only know how to farm, they hate schools and people that go there lol

Enugu. Hmm, ndi dibia, every Enugu man must have either a father, an uncle,relation that knows a dibia man lol, although educated but crass and cunning in nature, the entire enugu people are relatives to ndi mbaise in Imo state. You can't do business with them o, forget that slow and silent manner they exude,their women are native doctor visitors,collecting charms to either use for men, put in food,make their children's future bright or whatever.

Imo state!! wink Hmmm, ok I have to admit, these ones can sell you with their mouths o tongue, they perfect in 419ing and are highly intelligent,educated, influential,they like any and everything outside Nigeria. They travel abroad well. They aren't quite industrious like their Anambra brothers but they have their savvy nature going on for them,to either swindle, charm you with their good looks(well igbos generally are good looking),they are proud and can brag o lol (especially people from around my axis of the biggest aro settlement,Aro-ndizuogu,)..their women are fine shaa, put can't settle for less too,high standards,although they have the most successful women in igboland,they are proud and industrious too, fearless and somewhat flirts, they practice feminism the most lol and their sisters up north of igbo land,(Anambra),Imo women like to work,they like to feel among.

So you are from Imo.....which of them would you recommend to your blood.

Btw....are you fair.....
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by PreciousBro: 8:08am On Aug 07, 2015
Taiwo20:

So you are from Imo.....which of them would you recommend to your blood.

Btw....are you fair.....

Which of what ? If you mean which of the State of these stereotypes ,then I'd say, contrary to our opinion here about these stereotypes,Igbos are all loving and kind people with diversified cultural and traditional heritage,they are all similar in many ways beyond stereotype,and Igbo wu Igbo, Igbos are one and are the same,so anyone my sisters/blood wants, I'd accept. smiley

As for my complexion, hmmm lol wetin you wan use am do, although I can only tell you what my preference in complexion for women is, I have weird preferences. They are at peripheral ends, that means two opposite sides lol

I like extremely dark skinned as well as extremely light skinned women(Ndi ocha) grin iwotala ? Basically though, beautiful women!! wink

1 Like

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 8:16am On Aug 07, 2015
Gurgle:
Nnewi women are stubborn. Well all Anambra women are stubborn

Ebonyi and Nsukka people are backward and timid. Don't know how to hustle and scatter wherever they live

Mbaise people are cunning. Kanayo O Kanayo Hm! lipsrsealed although I know hes just acting tongue

Aro people are haughty/arrogant. and also cunning

Owerri people are party animals

Rivers (Ikwerre) people are lazy because of the oil they are enjoying there

Abakaliki people have very hot tempers- the "notherners" of Igboland

Owerri people form a lot- check out the complicated English names they normally answer, chaiiii grin. Victorianna, Seraphinia, or whatever lol

Imo and Anambra women are too "smart" in marriage and quick to divorce. Ebonyi and Enugu women are timid, pushovers and slow to divorce

Port Harcourt people are cunning and somehow wayoish

Ohaofia people are very serious, due to their past occupation as warriors

Enugu people are less corrupt in their dealings. That is, in Enugu state, somebody can come in and expect to get something done without too much wayo attached to it. They are very good record keepers and they are neat with their things. Just driving through Enugu city on a sunny day can make you forget your problems for a while, that place is fine cool

Southern Igbos look down upon northern Igbos as "bush" people

Northern Igbos look down upon southern Igbos as wayo people with fast lives

Aba people are agberos/rogues

Umuahia women are tough, don't take nonsense

Imo state/Owerri ladies marry outside a lot and don't take the guys place too seriously, preferring to to fix their fathers place very well

Ngwa people are cannibals. I think this is actually true but they have stopped the practice

Rivers state people are generally confused in life

Anambra guys don't marry on time. Especially the OMATA kind. And when its time to marry they will dump the girl they have been with for years and take up with one sweet 16 chick from the village, because their "mama said". Imo guys are accused of this too

Ohaofia people sabi build houses pass everybody

Imo state/ Owerri people are light-skinned and/or very good-looking

Ngwa people are short, with muscular build and light skin. eg Nkiru Sylvanus. And they bleach a lot

Enugu/Anambra people have tall stature

Anambra people are industrious. That's true. The list of "notable people from Anambra" on Wikipedia is endless

Well I wasn't going to mention this one but Ihuomadinihu has said it...

Mbaise people will use whatever post they occupy in their workplace to employ all their siblings and the rest of their family in that place...

Remember these are all stereotypes ooo..please nobody report this comment cz I no fit type am again...
Ties wrapper n shakes yansh lol
Hail imo state ohhhh grin nice list

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by odumchi: 10:10am On Aug 07, 2015
Gurgle:

Ok. Thanks, noted

do you ever participate in masquerades? Ekpe or otherwise

I participate in Ekpo, which is another similar masquerade genre. As for Ekpe, not yet.
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Lanceslot(m): 10:32am On Aug 07, 2015
Phut:

Aghotana'm. Mbona.
@ Igba arabanko cheesy
Mbona?!? Are you from Ogbaru?
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Phut(f): 5:28pm On Aug 07, 2015
Lanceslot:
Mbona?!? Are you from Ogbaru?

Anyi na Ogbaru bu nwanne. A bu'm onye Oguta
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Gurgle(f): 5:38pm On Aug 07, 2015
odumchi:

I participate in Ekpo, which is another similar masquerade genre. As for Ekpe, not yet.

lol, you mean you haven't yet been initiated?

Do you want to be the one dancing it? I mean the leopard dance that the Calabar people do. I love that dance

How come you Aro people have no yet uploaded your own Ekpe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu9LLGnitiE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Anioma/Asaba People Are Not Igbo / African American Tourists Visit Oba Of Benin (photos) / Most Cubans Originated From Yorubaland – Ambassador

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.