Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,419 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:41 AM

Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) (123672 Views)

My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City / Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. / Mysterious Bat With A Horse-like Face Found In Fish Pond (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 10:03pm On Aug 04, 2015
I am about to construct a 10ftx10ftx4ft concrete pond in Abuja. The ponds are six in numbers and I decide to bring the work done as I kick off tomorrow. Pictures of the site will be constantly drop here to allow room for recommendation and observation. Pls kindly inform the room if any observation is seen. Thanks.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by iyb(m): 5:22am On Aug 05, 2015
Good more grease to your elbow and we will be waiting for your updates

3 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by adewaletb3(m): 7:32am On Aug 05, 2015
Patiently waiting to see your good work.

1 Like

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 8:50am On Aug 05, 2015
Good morning to you all. After making contacts on the labour force, I went straight to the farm to wait for them. Today we will enback on,
1. Site clearing
2. Pond pegging and digging
3. Moulding of 9 inch. Concrete block.

2 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by alakara(m): 11:10am On Aug 05, 2015
Following with Kunu and fried rabbit meat.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Ikegodng(m): 12:37pm On Aug 05, 2015
Nice one and waiting to see more of us post
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 2:11pm On Aug 05, 2015
Digging as been done, what is goin on now is the placing of the pond outlet before casting is done. The concrete mixing is goin on right now as the plumbers are doing what they know best. More update coming soon..........

6 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 05, 2015
Where in abuja is your situated at? Looks like karshi?

1 Like

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Apitch(m): 3:35pm On Aug 05, 2015
I don't know if this info is coming in late but I feel ur 10x10 ponds are small compared to the land size and also are u aware that that size can only take 500 table size comfortably? If u already know so then ride on boss

2 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 8:01pm On Aug 05, 2015
@Apitch, you can not tell the actual length of a pond on an image. Proper measurement was taken before digging was carried out. Don't worry, before friday, you will start to see the wonders been done. 10ftx10ft concrete pond will comfortably accomodate 1000 catfish from fingerlings to adult stage. Though, thanks for the recommendation.

3 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 8:16pm On Aug 05, 2015
Concrete floor has been done. We use sand, gravel, stone dust, with adequate number of cement to cast the floor of the pond. Thank God for today.

2 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Apitch(m): 9:33pm On Aug 05, 2015
Calyb:
@Apitch, you can not tell the actual length of a pond on an image. Proper measurement was taken before digging was carried out. Don't worry, before friday, you will start to see the wonders been done. 10ftx10ft concrete pond will comfortably accomodate 1000 catfish from fingerlings to adult stage. Though, thanks for the recommendation.
My brother please ask questions before u thread, what u read is often not the case when practicing it. That pond size won't take 1000 fishes brother. I used to think so too before but now I know better.

3 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 10:44pm On Aug 05, 2015
Apitch:

My brother please ask questions before u thread, what u read is often not the case when practicing it. That pond size won't take 1000 fishes brother. I used to think so too before but now I know better.
We have standards in pond stocking density, ok? It might interest you to know that I am a fishery graduate. So live that stocking things alone. Those fish go enjoy the pond like die. Thanks though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Whynotthetruth(m): 3:41am On Aug 06, 2015
Calyb:

We have standards in pond stocking density, ok? It might interest you to know that I am a fishery graduate. So live that stocking things alone. Those fish go enjoy the pond like die. Thanks though.

Good job...but plz would you mind adding the costs of various undertakings and reasons for whatever step...just to aid learning here...thanks

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 7:54am On Aug 06, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Good job...but plz would you mind adding the costs of various undertakings and reasons for whatever step...just to aid learning here...thanks
Mr. Whynotthethruth, thanks. So far, two (double) trips of gravel @ 25000 naira each making it 50000 naira, 5 trip of sharp sand @ 13000 each making it 65000 naira, 50 bags of cement @ 2000 each totalling 100000, plumbing material total cost will be 150000 plus workmanship, the digging cost 40000 naira, 7 iron rod. The cost breakdown will be tedious for me to give freely, except it will cost me something. Not withstanding towards the end of the project, I will spell out the cost estimated.

7 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Ikegodng(m): 10:41am On Aug 06, 2015
Calyb:

Mr. Whynotthethruth, thanks. So far, two (double) trips of gravel @ 25000 naira each making it 50000 naira, 5 trip of sharp sand @ 13000 each making it 65000 naira, 50 bags of cement @ 2000 each totalling 100000, plumbing material total cost will be 150000 plus workmanship, the digging cost 40000 naira, 7 iron rod. The cost breakdown will be tedious for me to give freely, except it will cost me something. Not withstanding towards the end of the project, I will spell out the cost estimated.

Nice one brother, please let's see more pics as work goes on. Living your idea. More grace

5 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Apitch(m): 10:42am On Aug 06, 2015
Calyb:

Boss I can't leave it alone o cos I don't want you to make mistakes now than u can correct it, best stocking density is 20liters per fish, u can do 15 if u intend to use aerator or constant flow try but not 10. I advised u to ask questions, theory and practical no dey always be same. Finally I will rest my case if u insist but GOD is my witness I tried to help.
Visit a thread here titled hidden truth on catfish business and ask that question and see what reply u would get.
With that size, ur fish won't grow well and then u would be looking for who to blame or jazz from village to hold responsible
It won't take anything for u to ask practicing farmers the koko and keep theory aside
I rest my case

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Whynotthetruth(m): 10:56am On Aug 06, 2015
Calyb:

Its well bro...kudos
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 11:49am On Aug 06, 2015
Apitch:

Boss I can't leave it alone o cos I don't want you to make mistakes now than u can correct it, best stocking density is 20liters per fish, u can do 15 if u intend to use aerator or constant flow try but not 10. I advised u to ask questions, theory and practical no dey always be same. Finally I will rest my case if u insist but GOD is my witness I tried to help.
Visit a thread here titled hidden truth on catfish business and ask that question and see what reply u would get.
With that size, ur fish won't grow well and then u would be looking for who to blame or jazz from village to hold responsible
It won't take anything for u to ask practicing farmers the koko and keep theory aside
I rest my case
Please don't rest your case yet. You said 20litres per fish is suitable, fine. Have u related it with 10ftx10ftx4ft pond? What are u saying Chairman. Please, I have done every research work both theory and with experience, I don't need to ask this simple question on stocking density. Well, even if I put 10 fish in 10ftx10ftx4ft pond without proper management, then u will have a point. 1000 fish in the said pond is never an overstocking, NB: the depth will be 4 feet. So chill. Thanks you so much.

3 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 12:17pm On Aug 06, 2015
Block laying in progress my observers, correct me quick oooooo, the work is moving with a speed of light. Thanks

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 12:27pm On Aug 06, 2015
@Apitch, u have made strong point concerning stocking density, both in theory and experiment, it is a known fact that overstocking of fish often lead to poor growth rate, due to various factors such as pollution, high competition for feed, etc. But I can beat my chest for you that with proper management, 10ftx10ftx4ft concrete pond will comfortably acomodate 1000 catfish.

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Ikegodng(m): 1:08pm On Aug 06, 2015
Calyb:
Block laying in progress my observers, correct me quick oooooo, the work is moving with a speed of light. Thanks

Nice one, please what's are the functions of the pip standing on each of the spend.
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Tbagwell1(m): 4:46pm On Aug 06, 2015
Calyb:
Please endeavour to mix concrete in side those blocks.

1 Like

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by dondo83(m): 5:09pm On Aug 06, 2015
Tbagwell1:

I know your experienced, what is your take on the 10by10ft size of the pond? @op know one knows everything, so please try and do more research on the size of pond, at this stage you can still make ammends if wrong. best of luck
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 6:53pm On Aug 06, 2015
Tbagwell1:
Noted
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 7:05pm On Aug 06, 2015
Thank God for todays work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Tbagwell1(m): 7:07pm On Aug 06, 2015
dondo83:

I know your experienced, what is your take on the 10by10ft size of the pond? @op know one knows everything, so please try and do more research on the size of pond, at this stage you can still make ammends if wrong. best of luck
10ft by 10ft is d standard pond that can take 1000 fish till maturity bro. But would advise him not to stock them till maturity. He shld try to reduce d number to abt 700-800 when the are 3months. My opinion though. I have a. 10ft by 8ft pond and I stock around 1000 @ fingerlings stage. When they are 3month old I sort and reduce them 2 around 700.

2 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 7:09pm On Aug 06, 2015
dondo83:

What's your own take. I agree with you that no one knows everything.
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Nobody: 8:09pm On Aug 06, 2015
Calyb:

Please your gravel is how many tons? Mean trailer size
And your sand?

Please it's urgent
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by dondo83(m): 9:39pm On Aug 06, 2015
Calyb:

What's your own take. I agree with you that no one knows everything.

i will advice 10by 12 but since the the foundation has been done, i believe you will just be on point with sorting. if you wont start with all the pond at once

1 Like

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 10:01pm On Aug 06, 2015
Please your gravel is how many tons? Mean trailer size And your sand?
Please it's urgent[/quote] 6 tires. Two tones for each trip
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by nikaShow(m): 2:46pm On Aug 07, 2015
Op, great job so far! Experience sharing is awesome.

That stocking density thing though. Even if You are running flowthrough + aeration, be advised to reduce to700/800 max.

True, you can stock your 1000, but their growth wouldn't be optimized.

Signed:
A 'well read and long practicing' fish farmer.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix / How Many Bag Of Feed Do I Need In Rearing 100 Broilers / Just Killed This Animal But Don't Know It's Name.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.