Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,398 members, 7,781,140 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:37 AM

Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? (61618 Views)

Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? / Fish Farming Vs Poultry Farming / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by mekybabe1: 11:01pm On Aug 25, 2015
Kk. Just read ur mail trail. Thanks. A very educative topic.
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by world1(m): 11:01pm On Aug 25, 2015
Type of Soil For Snail Farm

Snail’s major habitat is the soil and soil contains some of the components and chemical substances that it needed to survive.

However, not all soils are suitable for snail rearing. The shell of the snail is mainly calcium and it derive most of them from the soil.

Snail also lay it’s eggs on the soil and drink water out of the soil.

Hence, the suitable soil for snail farming must contain these elements. Must be balanced, not waterlogged, not too dry, and must not be acidic.

The most desirable soil for snail is sandy-loamy soil with low water holding capacity.

Clayey soil and acidic soil must be avoided.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by cococandy(f): 11:13pm On Aug 25, 2015
sukkot:
grasscutter ? or you mean rat farming. that thing looks like a rat. yuck. must the black man eat everything that has a pulse ?
asians eat worse.
And they live longer

4 Likes

Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by Obaf16(f): 11:28pm On Aug 25, 2015
sukkot:
grasscutter ? or you mean rat farming. that thing looks like a rat. yuck. must the black man eat everything that has a pulse ?
Go nd sleep,it is grasscutter not rat
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by Obaf16(f): 11:32pm On Aug 25, 2015
world1:
Type of Soil For Snail Farm

Snail’s major habitat is the soil and soil contains some of the components and chemical substances that it needed to survive.

However, not all soils are suitable for snail rearing. The shell of the snail is mainly calcium and it derive most of them from the soil.

Snail also lay it’s eggs on the soil and drink water out of the soil.

Hence, the suitable soil for snail farming must contain these elements. Must be balanced, not waterlogged, not too dry, and must not be acidic.

The most desirable soil for snail is sandy-loamy soil with low water holding capacity.

Clayey soil and acidic soil must be avoided.
op u r blessed

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by TheUnbeatable(m): 11:45pm On Aug 25, 2015
Good work @Op.
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by world1(m): 11:55pm On Aug 25, 2015
Obaf16:
op u r blessed
Amen
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by Ndipe(m): 1:14am On Aug 26, 2015
Ebola?
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by Goshen360(m): 3:14am On Aug 26, 2015
I'm a big time Grasscutter farmer while I was home. I started a small scale Grasscutter farm as a family business back in 2000. Today, we operate one of the Grasscutter mega farm in Badagry, Lagos State, Nigeria.

I know snail farming is lucrative but Grasscutter farming is more profitable than snail. I'm a living witness. I'll add more to the OP's information later.
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by sukkot: 4:17am On Aug 26, 2015
cococandy:
asians eat worse.
And they live longer
see your life cococandy. so na rat peppersoup you dey eat for snack abi ? walahi talahi you done fall hand ooo shocked
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by sukkot: 4:19am On Aug 26, 2015
Obaf16:
Go nd sleep,it is grasscutter not rat
see your life ? na rat soup you dey use eat your eba ? undecided

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by sukkot: 4:21am On Aug 26, 2015
Mcowubaba:

Wise up bro
Grasscutter is not Rat undecided
it is a very lucrative business. My snr Cousin does it, nd he is comfortable.
Same with Snail farming, even Dog breeding
Times have changed bro. Don't live in the past
Agriculture Rocks!
why not try salmon farming ? clean meat.
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by cococandy(f): 5:11am On Aug 26, 2015
sukkot:
see your life cococandy. so na rat peppersoup you dey eat for snack abi ? walahi talahi you done fall hand ooo shocked

I actually don't eat that stuff.
In fact I'm a very very picky eater.
There's a long list of stuff that I don't eat but I'm just saying your claim that black people eat everything is not true.

Asians are worse.

It was in an Asian restaurant that I first ate octopus. And I used it be like ewwww about it but now I eat it grin
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by Jesusbaby6(f): 6:20am On Aug 26, 2015
teewhydope:

Please swerve to the right undecided undecided how many people have died from eating snails in Nigeria?? Tell me undecided

The giant African land snail may fit in the palm of your hand, but it is posing a big threat to Florida residents.

State officials are worried because the snails carry disease and eat most of the agricultural crops grown in the state, an official said.

When the Florida Department of Agriculture first discovered the current outbreak in Miami-Dade County, they found "massive amounts of these snails at every property we visited," said Mark Fagan, a spokesman.

Barely more than 18 months later, Fagan estimated officials have captured more than 120,000 snails. The largest had a 6.1 inch shell.

"We have a staff of 50 that's dedicated to nothing but snail hunting," Fagan said.

Giant African land snails carry rat lungworm, which the Centers for Disease Control said is the most common cause of human eosinophilic meningitis. The snails often contract the worms by eating rat feces.

Florida's food supply is threatened too, said Fagan.

"They eat 500 different plants," he said.

Florida has more than 9 million acres of farmland. The Florida agriculture industry employs 750,000 people and contributes more than $100 billion to the state's economy.

At least 20 neighborhoods are battling the snails.

According to Fagan, the snails can produce 100 eggs per month and live more than 8 years.

"It's a perfect environment for them here in South Florida," state entomologist Dr. Ian Stocks told ABC News station WPLG.

Fagan said the giant African land snails first came to South Florida in the 1940s as overseas military equipment returned home. Even today, he added, "they're hitchhiking on cargo."

That could mean they're coming in on something as small as a potted plant.

"When they're really small, they're easily undetected," Fagan said.

People usually spot giant African land snails in their backyards and on the sides of homes. In addition to leaves, the snails also eat stucco and concrete searching for calcium.

"Last week, when it rained, I came out and I saw so many that I took a plastic bag and I had more than 40 of them," Reinaldo Rodriguez, a local resident, told WPLG in an April 2012 interview.

It can be difficult to tell the giant African land snail apart for other kinds of snails. It gets easier as they grow larger.

"The stripes on their shell are a dark, caramel brown, with vertical rather than horizontal stripes," Fagan said. "They have a definite spiral."

According to WPLG, workers returned several times to leave bait and collect the snails.

Agriculture officials are treating snail outbreaks with the same compounds found at home and garden supply stores.

If you spot one in your backyard, Fagan said, don't smash or otherwise destroy it. Rather, he recommended calling an agricultural official to dispose of them. He added that officials are making headway in their battle against the giant African land snail.

Read the bolded wella... undecided
The major specie that is a major pest and disease carrier is the achatina fulica specie. So in rearing them, care must be taken to avoid rats entering their pen. But I prefer the achatina achatina specie

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by King44(m): 7:55am On Aug 26, 2015
azimibraun:
^^ When Ebola came some people made comments like me, some people reacted to it just like you. The rest is history. I just tried as much as I can to give a warning and I left it open ended by asking that folks do research and know the true position. Little did I know I was committing a crime. No wahala. I know my country and I know how they respond late to warnings in Nigeria. I just learnt that part of the reason for destroying giant African snails is that they carry parasites and can cause meningitis. If you advice a young Nigerian to take a loan or use his savings to start a snail business and just a week or month later there is a "Red Alert" from Federal ministry of health asking that snails farms should be destroyed? I am only just beign concerned.
sorry o!! bt 15 centuries frm now I do not think that such would happen, Africans have been consuming snail before u were born and when u eventually die someday d consumption of snail will continue besides must we always follow d whites, they are white we are black thus one mans' meat is another mans' poison and if eventually if such disease occur surely one day d disease go go and we will keep consuming God bless the farmers

3 Likes

Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by Yeecar(m): 7:55am On Aug 26, 2015
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by JJKADRY(m): 8:05am On Aug 26, 2015
See, i don't really know how much u know about snails but, i hav one problem wit my snails; once they hav little crack on their back shell, they'll be struggling to come out from out from out frm dat crack and hence, they hang and died.
my question is;which type of infection is that pls? this infection has killed almost 12 of my snails...
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by o42austino(m): 8:20am On Aug 26, 2015
JJKADRY:
See, i don't really know how much u know about snails but, i hav one problem wit my snails; once they hav little crack on their back shell, they'll be struggling to come out from out from out frm dat crack and hence, they hang and died.
my question is;which type of infection is that pls? this infection has killed almost 12 of my snails...
they lack calcium
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by King44(m): 8:20am On Aug 26, 2015
Pig is liable to carry twice as much parasites and disease snail could carry bt does that stop it consumption no!! what I discovered in a write up ahead of me was that giant african snails in florida are becoming pest as a result of low consumption of snail over there and that could replicate in any part of the world where snail consumption is very low so y should we should we africans take panadol for other peoples' headache

3 Likes

Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by Mcowubaba: 8:49am On Aug 26, 2015
sukkot:
why not try salmon farming ? clean meat.
lol,
clean meat ke...or na fish
Salmon na 'Ocean fish'/ freshwater ... Na oyibo fish...it will be 'expensive nd tasking' to grow in Nigeria...esp by an individual with low capital... Even Catfish that is being grown here in nigeria, is very tasking nd a bit expensive....
Unless there are species favourable to Nigerian Climate...
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by lexy91: 8:50am On Aug 26, 2015
I have being into fish farming for the past few years. I ventured into small poultry and snail farming about a year ago. I started the snail with about 60 pieces, today i have over 600 snails.Just last week i did sorting i picked over 250 pieces of small snail which i have to transfer to another pen.

As regards Grasscutter, i just picked my first colony (family) about two months ago. They are doing fine

Based on my observation, both the snail and Grasscutter requires patient, they are not the kinds of business you rush to in order to make quick money. Snail farming is not like our fish or poultry that you can start selling from 3 months. Likewise the Grasscutter it takes a year or more to attained the market size.

The pictures were taken last week when i did the sorting.

Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by kentochi(m): 9:08am On Aug 26, 2015
lexy91:
I have being into fish farming for the past few years. I ventured into small poultry and snail farming about a year ago. I started the snail with about 60 pieces, today i have over 600 snails.Just last week i did sorting i picked over 250 pieces of small snail which i have to transfer to another pen.

As regards Grasscutter, i just picked my first colony (family) about two months ago. They are doing fine

Based on my observation, both the snail and Grasscutter requires patient, they are not the kinds of business you rush to in order to make quick money. Snail farming is not like our fish or poultry that you can start selling from 3 months. Likewise the Grasscutter it takes a year or more to attained the market size.

The pictures were taken last week when i did the sorting.

good one
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by TIDDOLL(m): 9:17am On Aug 26, 2015
Sir,please how much can I get a family of grass cutter..nd how can I contact you?...already into snails.
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by stillchris: 9:20am On Aug 26, 2015
azimibraun:
To be honest I don't want to offend or discourage any hard working person but last I saw a documentary on snails on Aljazeera they are being destroyed in Florida because they have been declared not good for humans. I don't have details but I know they are searching for snails and destroying them. If you love snail then search for more info about this.

bro, please not everything america does is worth copying. where is our sense of pride?

the same americans will chose junk food over nutritious ones. does that mean junk is better?

3 Likes

Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by ginison: 11:47am On Aug 26, 2015
@Goshen360 pl pm me ur phone number, I want to start Grasscutter Farming and I needs some Vital info before I start, I want to start on a Large scale. Anybody that is ready to assist with info I will appreciate
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by crookes(m): 11:49am On Aug 26, 2015
nice meat but i dont eat snails...puking tinx

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by nonyedoris: 12:05pm On Aug 26, 2015
How long does it take for bith to get to maturity and havesting stages, pls educate more on this am interested on the business.
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by sukkot: 12:05pm On Aug 26, 2015
cococandy:

I actually don't eat that stuff.
In fact I'm a very very picky eater.
There's a long list of stuff that I don't eat but I'm just saying your claim that black people eat everything is not true.

Asians are worse.

It was in an Asian restaurant that I first ate octopus. And I used it be like ewwww about it but now I eat it grin
Na octopus na hin you dey chop now abi ? walahi you need colonic irrigation grin
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by markchidex: 1:14pm On Aug 26, 2015
all of them are good but grasscutter is more expensive
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by hurlar2014(m): 2:11pm On Aug 26, 2015
Bro i I've in badagry and i want to learn the trade of grasscutter too pls what is the procedure and ur
Goshen360:
I'm a big time Grasscutter farmer while I was home. I started a small scale Grasscutter farm as a family business back in 2000. Today, we operate one of the Grasscutter mega farm in Badagry, Lagos State, Nigeria.

I know snail farming is lucrative but Grasscutter farming is more profitable than snail. I'm a living witness. I'll add more to the OP's information later.
Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by BOUNTYDOG(m): 3:56pm On Aug 26, 2015
danchuzzy:
grass cutter and snails...

the difference is clear nah...

While Grass Cutter is fassssssssssttttttttt, Snail is slowwwwwwwwwwww angry angry angry angry

The way u stressed the sssttttt and the oowww I'm sure u must be speaking in Usuofia's voice lol

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? by BOUNTYDOG(m): 4:12pm On Aug 26, 2015
world1:

The animal reproduces very quickly and in good numbers. A fully grown female Grasscutter after gestation, carries the pregnancy for 140 – 150 days and deliver about twice a year.

Each pregnancy produces average of four to seven young ones per birth. Sometimes up to ten, that means one female Grasscutter could produce 8 – 20 other Grasscutters in a year

It grows big and very fast too. Grasscutter is one of the biggest rodent in Africa. A fully mature female or male that is ready for market weighs between 3.5kg for the female and 4.5kg for the male.

While measuring 45cm to 60cm in body length. The standing height is between 25 to 30cm. The body size of a fully grown male is about the size of a nine inches block.

A good number of Grasscutter is consumed yearly but most of them still comes from the wild through hunters who goes into the bush to hunt for them but usually not easy to catch, making the animal meat very scarce in the market.

Wow God is great 140- 150 days for rodents,while cannines do 63days wow

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

This High-rise Tower In China Isn't A Housing Block, It's A Pig Farm / These Animals Were Killed While Ploughing My Farm Yesterday / The Joystick Shape Of This Cassava Tuber Will Shock You- Ladies Beware.. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.