Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,848 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? (4782 Views)

Simple Steps To Cook A Sweet Egusi Soup / See What Ghanaian Egusi Soup Looks Like, Nigerians Comment. (screenshots) / How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by BlackGirlLost(f): 12:36am On Aug 05, 2015
Hello Nairaland!

I made Egusi soup and eba yesterday for the first time.

I used the following: Hot pepper, ground egusi, dried crayfish, stock fish, dried fish, beef tripe, beef chucks, stock cube and spinach.

My love said it was good, but that is because he loves me. His cousin also said it was good but that I'm missing some type of seasoning that he doesn't know the name of. What do you put in your soup?

1 Like

Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by Gboliwe: 1:02am On Aug 05, 2015
Since you get the mind to list out all the various type of meat and fish you used, let me help you out:

Salt
Red Oil
Daddawa (ogiri)
Next time use Ugu instead of spinach, it tastes better.
Water grin

3 Likes

Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by enoqueen: 1:39am On Aug 05, 2015
Give us the step wey u use make we no how we go come in cos egusi na step by step, no be asepo.
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by boboLIL(m): 1:57am On Aug 05, 2015
U r missin me to taste it..... It looks jadi jadi

1 Like

Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by BlackGirlLost(f): 1:58am On Aug 05, 2015
Gboliwe:
Since you get the mind to list out all the various type of meat and fish you used, let me help you out:

Salt
Red Oil
Daddawa (ogiri)
Water grin

Oh boy o... I used palm oil, water and salt but what is ogiri?
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by BlackGirlLost(f): 1:59am On Aug 05, 2015
boboLIL:
U r missin me to taste it..... It looks jadi jadi

Well they ate it almost all and I made a big pot, but they said it was missing something
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by tpia6: 2:00am On Aug 05, 2015
I guess you mean maggi.
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by BlackGirlLost(f): 2:02am On Aug 05, 2015
tpia6:
I guess you mean maggi.

I used both of these

Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by BlackGirlLost(f): 2:03am On Aug 05, 2015
Gboliwe:

Salt
Red Oil
Daddawa (ogiri)
Water grin

Ugu is pumpkin leaf?

1 Like

Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by Gboliwe: 2:35am On Aug 05, 2015
BlackGirlLost:

Google is free

1 Like

Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by Gboliwe: 2:35am On Aug 05, 2015
BlackGirlLost:

Ugu is pumpkin leaf?
Yes
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by BlackGirlLost(f): 2:41am On Aug 05, 2015
Gboliwe:

Google is free

Apparently, so were your school fees also free

1 Like

Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by nikkyshyne(f): 6:56am On Aug 05, 2015
Gboliwe:

Google is free
Not nice.
Gboliwe:
Yes
So why didn't you respond as above. Not cool ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by Gboliwe: 8:10am On Aug 05, 2015
BlackGirlLost:

Apparently, so were your school fees also free

SMH, let's see how you'll ever learn with this attitude. Keep waiting for me to spoon-feed you with knowledge.

Mcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

3 Likes

Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by CoCoLav(f): 8:19am On Aug 05, 2015
Its preferable to use Knorr Chicken cubes, it brings out a better taste. I usually use bitter leaf and uziza cos that's how my dad likes it. You could also use Ugu leaves alone. From the image, its obvious the egusi isn't hand peeled (I personally prefer hand peeled). Use enough ugu (the egusi is more than the vegetable) and remember to use enough salt and pepper. I don't use ogiri.

4 Likes

Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by breadplanets(f): 6:22pm On Aug 05, 2015
Gboliwe:

SMH, let's see how you'll ever learn with this attitude. Keep waiting for me to spoon-feed you with knowledge.

You know the answer you tell her if you dont know you just ignore. Or you know and you dont want to tell her you still ignore. I dont know when it became a crime to ask questions again. Thought you were better than this anyway

9 Likes

Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by stonecoldcafe: 10:24pm On Aug 05, 2015
BlackGirlLost:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogiri

By the way sh.it has a yeye smell but it makes your soup taste nice. I dont use it for egusi though. I personally use it for oha soup alone.

A lot of folks use it for traditional soup its just like local maggi. Here are some pictures that may help you. The first is how ogiri looks when it is sold. The second is when you unwrap the leaves. Its the black stuff in the middle that is called ogiri. Dont do JJC and use the leaves like me (true story I did that the first time i used ogiri) undecided lipsrsealed
I just couldn't imagine using the black stuff, i believed the leave had to be the ogiri - ermmmmmmmmmmmmm no. That was error.com for me.

Personally since we cant taste your food, we may find it hard to judge what is missing but merely looking at the soup, i think it lacks leaves. i.e ugu leaf and perhaps bitterleaf (I use that sometimes but just a tiny weeny bit, more of ugu)

3 Likes

Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by Sleekbaby(f): 1:17pm On Aug 06, 2015
[quote author=stonecoldcafe post=36650124]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogiri

By the way sh.it has a yeye smell but it makes your soup taste nice. I dont use it for egusi though. I personally use it for oha soup alone.

A lot of folks use it for traditional soup its just like local maggi. Here are some pictures that may help you. The first is how ogiri looks when it is sold. The second is when you unwrap the leaves. Its the black stuff in the middle that is called ogiri. Dont do JJC and use the leaves like me (true story I did that the first time i used ogiri) undecided lipsrsealed
I just couldn't imagine using the black stuff, i believed the leave had to be the ogiri - ermmmmmmmmmmmmm no. That was error.com for me.

Personally since we cant taste your food, we may find it hard to judge what is missing but merely looking at the soup, i think it lacks leaves. i.e ugu leaf and perhaps bitterleaf (I use that sometimes but just a tiny weeny bit, more of ugu)

I don't think is this ogiri dt d person was referring to, the ogiri pple used in preparing egwusi soup is ogiri okpi or ogiri Nsukka, is black in colour b4 u use it u roast it small for the aroma to come out then u pound it together with pepper or crayfish.
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by stonecoldcafe: 3:16pm On Aug 06, 2015
Sleekbaby:
I don't think is this ogiri dt d person was referring to, the ogiri pple used in preparing egwusi soup is ogiri okpi or ogiri Nsukka, is black in colour b4 u use it u roast it small for the aroma to come out then u pound it together with pepper or crayfish.
Op shebi you hear oh. I nor know say different kind of ogiri dey oh.
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by BlackGirlLost(f): 1:41pm On Aug 07, 2015
Gboliwe:

So am I to take your snide comments as knowledge?

You stated "Google is free" ... so is this post on NL. What was the point or purpose? Was it helpful to me? No. I prefer to talk to people instead of machine search engines.

Abeg your forgiveness

5 Likes

Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by tpiander: 2:54pm On Aug 07, 2015
You should probably just google some recipes and try those.

1 Like

Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by aolatunde00: 11:35pm On Aug 08, 2015
Visit dooney"s kitchen.its an online blog.
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by jashar(f): 9:03am On Aug 12, 2015
[quote author=Sleekbaby post=36669146][/quote]

that one is popularly known as DAWADAWA smiley
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by Nobody: 11:01am On Aug 12, 2015
The garri is poor shocked
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by iyawomide(f): 11:50pm On Aug 13, 2015
It does look a little somehow...maybe people from different regions make it differently but I was taught to make it with tomato, red onion and red peppers blended...let that simmer; add palm oil, seasonings (all the ones you listed plus thyme and curry), and then the rest was pretty much the same. My MIL sent me shoki seeds which we grew and I use that instead of spinach - which is too soft or doesn't really have bite to it. But you tried...the eba looks a little too soft. But the most important thing is that your guy enjoyed it. A good resource is youtube. You can find a ton of naija recipes with step by step help. Good luck!

2 Likes

Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by worksmart(m): 5:39pm On Aug 31, 2015
Madam OP,
How could you expect us to tell us what is missing without tasting. The important thing is if it taste good to you and your husband.
Your cousin's preference may not taste as good to you.

The photo is making me hungry undecided
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by armyofone(m): 6:40pm On Aug 31, 2015
Blend your egusi with tatashe if you are in Nigeria.

It gives your egusi soup rich color and taste.

Use ugu only or spinach and bitter leaf.
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by favouredon(f): 1:30pm On Sep 01, 2015
CoCoLav:
Its preferable to use Knorr Chicken cubes, it brings out a better taste. I usually use bitter leaf and uziza cos that's how my dad likes it. You could also use Ugu leaves alone. From the image, its obvious the egusi isn't hand peeled (I personally prefer hand peeled). Use enough ugu (the egusi is more than the vegetable) and remember to use enough salt and pepper. I don't use ogiri.
Pls educate me more. How did u detect the hand peeled Egusi from the picture? I only know thru d level of neatness when I want to buy in market
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by UjSizzle(f): 11:01pm On Sep 04, 2015
favouredon:
Pls educate me more. How did u detect the hand peeled Egusi from the picture? I only know thru d level of neatness when I want to buy in market
The hand peeled isn't as "neat" as the machine peeled and it costs more. You can ask your local food vendor for it when next you go to buy-- they usually have both.
Also use uziza seed (I don't know the English name) and dawadawa. They're both local seasonings and they do wonders to egusi soup. Ugu too is a definite or try properly washed bitter leaf.
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by UjSizzle(f): 11:10pm On Sep 04, 2015
favouredon:
The hand peeled isn't as "neat" as the machine peeled and it costs more. You can ask your local food vendor for it when next you go to buy-- they usually have both.
Also use uziza seed (I don't know the English name) and dawadawa. They're both local seasonings and they do wonders to egusi soup. Ugu too is a definite or try properly washed bitter leaf.
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by Nobody: 2:09am On Sep 05, 2015
Re: What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? by UjSizzle(f): 2:18am On Sep 05, 2015
Nonso23:

Happy Birthday!
100 more years to go! grin
More successes , achievements down the road...
Plus personal fulfilment too..
September pikin cheesy

All the best today and always.
Fancy seeing you today smiley
Amen
Thank you dearest

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unique, Affordable, Classy Food Packaging, Paper Bags and Food Boxes Lagos / How Sacred Is Your Kitchen / Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.