Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,805 members, 7,798,717 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

This Zoo Must Fall - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / This Zoo Must Fall (1475 Views)

Tears In The Zoo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Zoo Must Fall by flow1759: 6:00pm On Aug 05, 2015
Last time it almost fell
But saved by a bell
Way down the lane of history
The result saw many lifeless housed in cemetery

Where the sun rises
Rose the unrest
And the longing for freedom
Freedom almost saw them

So where is Heaven?
Heaven is not here
But trust me it isn’t there
It isn’t where they searched too
They wished their beloved nation split into two

Their nation isn’t hell yet
No, not yet
What else? A tribe that never dies
A tribe that defines Industrious in Nature
A tribe of mine.

I wish my brothers never awake now
I wish they never awake to fight for their freedom now
No, not now
They say change arrived now
But it never traveled
Will the Zoo ever fall?

2 Likes

Re: This Zoo Must Fall by Jetjacky(m): 6:00pm On Aug 05, 2015
Nice smiley
Re: This Zoo Must Fall by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 05, 2015
sharap!!!!

^^the guy above is lipsrsealed
Re: This Zoo Must Fall by flow1759: 6:03pm On Aug 05, 2015
crotonite:
sharap!!!!

Is that what you have to offer
Re: This Zoo Must Fall by kossyablaze(m): 6:06pm On Aug 05, 2015
Amen

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Zoo Must Fall by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 05, 2015
flow1759:

Is that what you have to offer

sshh i said shut it.

||gives him a slap with myeft hand.|||
Re: This Zoo Must Fall by Ramwab94(m): 10:22am On Aug 08, 2015
Damn. I hate reading poems, don't just know why. But anyway, oga flow, kudos to una.
Re: This Zoo Must Fall by flow1759: 6:19pm On Aug 09, 2015
Ramwab94:
Damn. I hate reading poems, don't just know why. But anyway, oga flow, kudos to una.

I am happy you like it
Re: This Zoo Must Fall by sgtslotter(m): 6:55pm On Aug 09, 2015
Very intrigue poem,I feel am bro
Re: This Zoo Must Fall by gnykelly(m): 9:16pm On Sep 03, 2015
flow 1759 though I hate the idea of Biafra. but I love your write ups.
Re: This Zoo Must Fall by Ahmadgani(m): 6:46am On Sep 06, 2015
The zoo shall not fall Ammagedon shall rise When the forsaken Are forsaken again There would be an uprising From the dungeon of guilt Something needed to be done For unity is what we want
Re: This Zoo Must Fall by flyingsnail(f): 9:51pm On Sep 07, 2015
cheesy
Re: This Zoo Must Fall by flow1759: 6:13pm On Sep 09, 2015
Ahmadgani:
The zoo shall not fall
Ammagedon shall rise
When the forsaken
Are forsaken again
There would be an uprising
From the dungeon of guilt
Something needed to be done
For unity is what we want

I Love you all, my fans!

I submitted my eatery for the mobile book shelf write and win competition. i need your votes desperately.

Here is it..........

THE MASTER
Captain Odache is the kind of Army officer that wears a gloomy look all the time, worst of while sleeping. His face? Well, his face could make a smiling baby cry. The stands six foot plus, huge, shoulder high, hardly smiles except when he hangs out with his friends to drink his favorite local brand “Brukutu”.
Anyone that hasn’t heard of “CO” in the cantonment could be pardoned for two reasons; one is that maybe the person is hard of hearing, or maybe the person is deaf out right.
“CO” is a lyric that sends shivers down the spines of inhabitants of the cantonment. He uses few words, works hard but drinks harder, better put; he is married to the bottle. In drums, his wife stores her tears every night because she couldn’t hold them back.
Mrs Helen Odache is the most dexterous Nurse in the cantonment’s Medical Response Service; a hospital for military personnel living in the cantonment, she loves her job as much as she loves her husband, but in turn, her husband loves “Booze” more than he loves her.
Festus met Helen his beautiful wife while he was in training as a cadet. The point of contact came when Festus sustained a major injury in training ground and was rushed to the clinic in camp. Helen took good care of him, fed him well, and made sure he never missed his drugs; little did she know that that same man would propose to her six months later after being commissioned as an Army Officer.

Eight years in marriage yet no Issue, Helen Odache held strong and was fervent in prayers. She so loved her maker that she was appointed the “Maama” of Christian Mothers Association in the Catholic Church, the same church her husband attends services only during Easter Sundays.
The Man Captain Festus Odache pledged to serve his beloved nation in sickness and in health, in lack and in riches, in weakness and in strength, till death path he and his job.
And that he was able to achieve so far Ten years in service.

Helen Odache wasn’t the best of wife to her husband, but she pledged to be the best to her children yet unborn if CO would let her. On nights CO decides to return early from his “drinking school”, Helen was beaten Blue black and at some other time Red blue. Misty eyes, she cries every night to heaven, but it seems heaven frowns back at her.
When they met back in the training camp Festus and Helen got so fond of each other that Festus “Frog jumped” almost every night because he was always caught chatting at a corner with Helen. At some point the punishment swayed to Helen who was suspended from taking care of cadets for two week and later on banned from the camp out right.

What pregnant Helen longed for was for the fetus she carried to see the light.

THE WORD
Lieutenant Colonel Musa Gambo commandant of 421 battalion that was stationed in Yolo Military cantonment where CO was the administrative officer as well as the self acclaimed “field officer”, was a dogged commander, his kind was indeed a hard nut to crack.
CO aside being the Admin officer of 421 battalion crowned himself the Field Officer of the cantonment; a position that before CO never existed.
“Attention!! At ease!” Lieutenant Colonel Gambo commanded parade himself that morning.
“It has been brought to my attention that some Officers go about extorting money from inhabitants of the cantonment and brutalizing them!” Lt Col. Gambo’s voice was loud enough and could be heard by all.
CO stood eyeballing and if wishes were Horses he would had wished a bulldozer ran over Lt Col. Gambo as he spoke.
“I will advise all involved to desist, and anybody caught would be punished, Officers inclusive! Am I clear?” Lt Col. Gambo ended his long sermon.
“as if you can!” CO said to himself.

As CO sat in his office he thought what he would do next to take over power from Lt Col. Gambo; a man he hated with a passion.
“what have I not done to put this Gambo of a boy to shame and render him powerless?”
“what have I not done yet?” CO said to himself, “he seems to be a hard nut to crack”
“I know what to do next!”
“If Adolf Hitler can do it, Yes I can do it” The assured himself as he stared unending at the portrait of the Adolf Hitler hung on the wall.

“morning sir!” Corporal Sabi saluted.
CO turned with a frown, “yes! What have I to do with you?” His thoughts blurred his eyes that he couldn’t see clearly to figure out who stood in front of him.
His mind returned and his first clear sight saw “Corporal Sabi” inscribed in the name tag hung in Sabi’s chest.
“Morning Corporal Sabi! Sit down!”
“any development?” He couldn’t wait for Corporal Sabi to settle.
“Yes sir! There is a development!” the nodding style of Corporal Sabi told CO that the development was negative.

ONE FOR THE MASTER, ONE FOR THE BOY
Earlier, CO had promised his “boys” good reward for their labour so far, and he had assured them lucrative positions should he become the cantonment commandant.
His boys, spare headed by Corporal Sabi has been responsible for extorting money from shop owners in the cantonment’s general market known as Mammy Market. Amongst their numerous mischiefs is receiving of bribe from dealers of illegal wares sold in the cantonment.

“where I is going?” Dogo yelled at an old woman about to enter the cantonment.
Dogo, a rather comic character in the cantonment was forty percent of the time always on duty manning the cantonment gate. He was the kind of soldier that couldn’t even spell his name not to talk of another person’s name, yet they gave the obligation to always call out roster of soldiers on duty to man the cantonment gate. Widely gap toothed yet always smiling, a slap from Dogo could make the one that received the slap confess the earth wasn’t spherical but square.
“going?” The rather surprised old woman lost words.
“no! coming!” Dogo yelled, “where I dey go!!”
“I” to Dogo meant “you” eighty percent of the time, and that confused the old woman that seems to be new in the cantonment.
“I say where I is go?” Lt Col. Gambo had warned severally that all Soldiers on duty must always speak good English. To obey that singular command was such a herculean task to our Dogo. The draconian punishment for defaulters when caught was to be locked up in the Military guard room. Dogo since enlisted in the Army has never spent a second in the guard room not to talk of a night; he has promised we would never be locked up in the guard room, not for breaking any law.
“I?”
“yes! Where is I going to?” Dogo erred confidently.
“I….I…… I” The old woman stammered.
“Talk!!!” Dogo thundered.
“I…….I….. I is going to sell for market” She spoke pidgin English.
“sell wetin?” Dogo yelled, “I think is all of una go to the market to sell Indian head abi?”
“me?”
“yes you! Are you not a Indian head dealer?” Our Dogo erred again.
“which one be Indian head again? See my head here na!” The rather confused old woman said.
“Oya I want to see your bag!” Dogo dragged the heavy sack the woman carried from her head.
“there is nothing there!” The woman returned.
“will you leave that old woman alone!” A voice was heard from afar.
The fearless Dogo turned to see who the “bloody civilian” was.
Bloody civilian the person was indeed; but more powerful than the dreaded Dogo.
“Morning ma!” Dogo saluted.
“Ma I just searching her bag!”
“ehennnnn! was that why you almost pushed her down?”
“no ma! I did not push her down!”
“common shut up! So I am lying now!”
“yes ma!” Dogo answered without thinking, “I mean! No ma!”
“will you leave her alone!”Aishatu, Lt Col. Gambo’s wife ordered.
“Madam please come let me drop you off” Aishatu offered.
Few hours later CO arrive the cantonment gate with so much pageantry, then he headed for his office after signaling Dogo that he needed to see him.

“morning sir!” Dogo saluted.
“Dogonyaro!! Sit down!” He beckoned, “how was today?”
“today was fine sir! But something happened………..”
“……that reminds me, has Corporal Sabi recovered from the ailment that struck him?”
“yes sir but he was giving two days off to recover well!” Dogo announced.
“haaaa! Two days is too much fa! Can’t he recover within 24 hours?” CO frowned, “who signed his off days?”
“Captain Udeme sir!” Dogo answered.
“ehnnnm! Udeme! That boy again!”
“ehennn! What did you say happened today?” CO asked.
“oga is Aishatu Gambo the commandant’s wife!”
“what happen to her? Has she carried out her threats?”
“she saw me in the gate disciplining a woman, and she shouted at me for me to leave the woman, and I tell her say the woman carry Indian head oh!”
“ehnnnen! Dogonyaro! Dogonyaro!!” CO smiled.
“yes oga!”
“which one is Indian head again?”
“indain head oga!” Dogo looked surprised, “don’t you know Indian head? That thing that all this small-small boys use to smoke”
“Dogo!” CO face changed gloomy.
“sir!” Dogo giggled lightly.
“come closer, I want to tell you something!” CO sounded casual.
As Dogo drew closer to CO, a thundering knock landed on Dogo’s head.
“aaaahh!! sir wetin I do?”
“you must be stupid for asking me that!”
“How many times will I tell you it is not Indian head but Indian hemp?”
“Indian heeeemppp!” it was a mouthful for Dogo.
“thank you for the correction sir!”
“so what did Aishatu do?”
“she said I should leave the old woman, that I am a stupid man!”
“really?”
“yes oga!”
“what did you do when she insulted you!”
“me? Oga I no do anything oh, she be commandant wife na!”
“and so what?” CO stood up abruptly.
What Dogo awaited was for another knock to land on his head, so he positioned well.
“oga I am just a Lance Corporal na! I no want make them sack me comot for Army!”
CO thought for a while and said: “don’t worry I know how to handle that woman!”
“so how much did you and the boys get today?”
“Oga e no plenty oh!” Dogo brought out the content of his pockets.
“how much?” CO needed to know.
“Is Forty thousand Naira sir!”
“what? Just Forty thousand naira?” CO frowned, “what have you been doing since morning?”
“sir many shop people no gree pay the gate-pass money oh!”

“lemme have it!” The frown in CO’s face turned smile on feeling the texture of the money.
“oga as Corporal Sabi no dey nahim make we no too make money today!”
“so Sabi must be around before you make good money?”
“yes sir! Sorry I mean.. No sir!”
After counting the money, CO said; “today the money you delivered is small, what do you want me to give to you in appreciation?”
“anything sir!”
“ok you know me na!!” He split the money.
“One for the Master……..”He pocketed a greater bulk of the money with him.
“…… And one for the boy” Giving Dogo the few left.

THE PLOT
CO did all he could to render the efforts of the cantonment commandant useless, sometimes he failed and at other times he succeeded. Lt Col. Gambo on his part knew who his enemy was yet he stayed put; the best he could do was to forward letters to the Army secretariat for CO to be posted out of the unit and very far from Yolo cantonment. All these letters were either ignored or not delivered at all, Lt Col Gambo’s best bet was that since CO’s Cousin was the chief of Army staff, CO’s consent needed to be sought after before he is been posted anywhere.

Weeks Later
“I think when I work out my posting to Saduna for peace keeping, you will go about sleeping with your numerous boyfriends without fear of been caught!!” CO slammed the door to his house after beating his wife Helen mercilessly again.

Months Later
“guys I was posted to Saduna for peace keeping!” CO announced as he and his friends sat drinking.
“really!” Abdul a Major was surprised.
“CO! CO!! I know when you return you be a really big boy” Amos a Captain said.
“no be small big boy oh! I will be paid in hard currency! You know as my cousin is the chief of Army staff, I am not going to Saduna to do anything” CO said, “I am going there to drink, chase after girls and club!”
“hahaha! You be correct jor!” Abdul laughed.

Three Months Later
Saduna was not as easy as CO thought it to be, he commanded a battalion of Paratroops that monitored from the skies for rebels attacking. His commander Major General Lawal was so draconian with anything that had to do with CO making him do the most herculean of tasks.
CO’s plan was that he was coming to Saduna to cool off, that peace had returned to the country; little did he know that the rebels were attacking full blown. CO was not the type that read the tabloid he would had known that two weeks before the troop landed in Saduna, the Rebel broke. But again, what was he to do? His name was already out at the Defense head quarter amongst those to be sent on peace keeping to Saduna in September.

Two Months Later
Back home rumor had it that the almighty CO was dead. Market women and shop owners jubilated and threw party in celebration of the falling of a mighty Iroko tree; the only tree a tough wind couldn’t toss.................................................. Continue reading here http://mobilebookshelf.com/one-for-the-master-and-one-for-the-boy-by-eke-ugochukwu-peter-flow1759/

And vote here! http://mobilebookshelf.com/poll/

You vote this way:
1. Like our facebook page (by clicking on the like button or visiting the page directly www.facebook.com/mymobilebookshelf )
2. Vote for any three authors of your choice by checking three names and click “vote”
3. Fill the contact form, then submit.

Thats all! Thank you!!! wink

STILL I FLOW

1 Like

Re: This Zoo Must Fall by silverdam(m): 8:58pm On Dec 18, 2015
flow1759 bro please I'm begging for your permission to copy your story on my blog. Ibo Boy Wey Like Yoruba, please bro, I love that story. I will surely credit you as the writer. Please say yes flow1759
Re: This Zoo Must Fall by flow1759: 5:30pm On Jan 07, 2016
silverdam:
flow1759 bro please I'm begging for your permission to copy your story on my blog. Ibo Boy Wey Like Yoruba, please bro, I love that story. I will surely credit you as the writer. Please say yes flow1759

I say NO!

(1) (Reply)

Time After Time / Making Love Out Of Nothing At All / Sorry, You Don't Know Me At All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.