Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,272 members, 7,780,613 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:38 PM

NYSC Mulls Voluntary Service For Graduates - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Mulls Voluntary Service For Graduates (786 Views)

FG Bars Medical Graduates From NYSC / 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary / NYSC May Soon Be Voluntary DG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC Mulls Voluntary Service For Graduates by realtestament(m): 8:46am On Aug 07, 2015
OVERWHELMED by the yearly turnout of graduates from Nigerian universities, the management of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) is considering making the scheme a voluntary one.

This, it is believed, in spite of reducing the number of prospective corps members, would not only save the cost of running the scheme, but would sustain the programme on a continuous basis.

The Director-General of NYSC, Brig-Gen. Johnson Olawumi, who dropped the hint yesterday, when he, alongside other top management officials of the Federal Ministry of Youths Development accompanied the Permanent Secretary, Mrs. Rabi Jimeta, went to brief President Muhammadu Buhari on the activities of the ministry, said the programme was increasingly becoming a heavy burden for the government.

Olawumi, therefore, averred that to make the scheme voluntary would not only reduce the corps members’ population with a view to saving cost, but would make the programme more sustainable.

Meanwhile, the President has pledged that his administration would take all necessary actions to maintain and improve the scheme as a functional vehicle for the promotion of national unity and integration.

President Buhari, who affirmed his confidence and trust in the programme, saying that the objective for which the scheme was established in 1973 was still very relevant for national development now, said: “I firmly believe in NYSC and I think it should remain a national programme to promote integration. This is because whenever I go home to Daura (his home-town), I look out for corps members from Lagos, Aba and other parts of the country.

“I am always thrilled to learn that except for the NYSC scheme, some of them have never left their states of origin to visit other cities in the country.”

Jimeta had told the President that increasing the number of NYSC participants posed a challenge to the scheme due to the dwindling revenue from the national budget to cater for their needs.

Re: NYSC Mulls Voluntary Service For Graduates by philfrey08: 8:57am On Aug 07, 2015
Little by Little.. our NYSC is going into extinction. Who would love to go?

I really enjoyed my service year. I dunno of you
Re: NYSC Mulls Voluntary Service For Graduates by momentum85(m): 9:11am On Aug 07, 2015
Its better d scheme is scrapped than this stvpid 'involuntary whatever'. I wonder why government finds it difficult to sustain youth programmes in this country, which crime did we commit biko!
Re: NYSC Mulls Voluntary Service For Graduates by datigbogirl: 11:18am On Aug 07, 2015
What happens to someone like me who ran away if it is eventually scrapped or made voluntary

momentum85:
Its better d scheme is scrapped than this stvpid 'involuntary whatever'. I wonder why government finds it difficult to sustain youth programmes in this country, which crime did we commit biko!
Re: NYSC Mulls Voluntary Service For Graduates by Lagusta(m): 12:26pm On Aug 07, 2015
momentum85:

You people have failed to realize that the single year in nysc where you receive 19800 stipends is far better than wasting tht same year looking for job.....

Within that nysc year, you can be productive, write professional exams, apply for masters, start your own petty business.... Opportunities abound....

Well, if u want it scrapped

(1) (Reply)

Batch B Stream 1 Bauchi State.. Let Meet Here / Abuja corper needed for immediate employment / Only God Will Judge Nysc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.