Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,497 members, 7,781,492 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:27 PM

The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) (32062 Views)

Cameroonian Girl Can Finally Smile After Surgeons Removed Huge Tumor On Her Face / Her Smile After A Successful Dental Re-arrangement Is Quite Adorable - Pictures / OHAI Africa Campaign Against Noma (cancrum Oris) Disease (Graphic images) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by Vicben(m): 9:21am On Aug 07, 2015
Maryam had been shunned by other villagers because she had cleft lip and could not speak fluently like other kids in the village. She had no friends to play around with. Everyone believes she's bad luck until one day - the day Maryam would never forget. That was the day OHAI AFRICA through its free cleft lip and palate surgery programme came to her neighbourhood changed, changed her story and gave her a new look.

Maryam was birthed at home. There had been no clinic in the village at in Bole in Adamawa state at the time her mother was pregnant with her so her mother could not attend antenatal. She grew up into a world in which the only people in her social life circle were her father, mother and two siblings who were hardly available for her to gist and play with.

Her father, Adamu, a farmer was almost always at the farm tilling the land or out with the cattle for grazing. Her mother, a petty trader, sold cooking ingredients like pepper, onions, okra, salt and other small household necessities at the small village square market. Put together, the family's income was never enough to send Maryam to the city for treatment, not that they would if it had been enough because they never knew cleft lip could be treated. She was condemned to live the rest of her life an outcast for though she was not openly scorned, she wasn't accepted fully.

Her siblings, who had no cleft had a dozen of friends to play around with at the village square living Maryam at home alone. The family was so excited when the OHAI's team of mobilisers arrived at the village and spoke to them about the possibility of a treatment. They received the news with gladness and joy as they never thought their daughter was going to live a normal life like their other children.

Today, Maryam no longer feels like an outcast. She has a lot of friends both at home and at the neighbourhood where her Mum's stall is located. She always has a quick and ready smile for everyone she comes in contact with.

Source: http://www.ohaiafrica.org/the-day-maryam-smiled/

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by Swaggzkid: 9:28am On Aug 07, 2015
Omg.

Help us lord Amen.
And God bless OHAI AFRICA

FTC space for sale, beware of 419

Good morning Dullards

22 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by Vicben(m): 9:31am On Aug 07, 2015
Amen!
Swaggzkid:
Omg.

Help us lord

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by Daniel058(m): 9:47am On Aug 07, 2015
Pawafol!! grin

In other news

I'm that

4th to C

I mean Ftc nah.....

grin grin grin

****still enjoying d remaining soup in my Mama soup pot **ofe egusi a di toooooooo much ooooooooooooooo ****

2 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by damiloladuke: 9:48am On Aug 07, 2015
when I see the good deeds others are doing... I know I must be rich to do same .

meanwhile if you wanna laugh tire today
CHECK MY SIGNATURE TO READ MY FUNNY SECRET DIARY

15 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by jelraj(m): 9:48am On Aug 07, 2015
OK
Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by Seunaj05(m): 9:48am On Aug 07, 2015
OHAI has just giving someone a renewed hope and a reason to live. Nice job

22 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by qualityovenbake(m): 9:48am On Aug 07, 2015
Good work OHAI's team.

4 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by mezebel(f): 9:48am On Aug 07, 2015
Obara chisos!

This will never be our portion ijn

Amen

2 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by ayodiya: 9:48am On Aug 07, 2015
wonderful

2 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by allanphash7(m): 9:48am On Aug 07, 2015
Nice one to the doctors

No one will praise the doctors that made the successful surgery but will rather praise some of their scarmmers MOG

6 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by Thebrightest(m): 9:48am On Aug 07, 2015
Africa and its mentality so because a child has a correctable medical condition, the child is now taken as bad luck. I always weep for Africa because Tradition, Religion, Superstition and believe in non-existing deities is killing us.

4 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by pupsyd: 9:49am On Aug 07, 2015
Wow so beautiful

3 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by Nobody: 9:49am On Aug 07, 2015
Wow@1st pix

1 Like

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by yomalex(m): 9:49am On Aug 07, 2015
great

3 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by Imortal001: 9:50am On Aug 07, 2015
Oghene!

2 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by Donjinks(m): 9:51am On Aug 07, 2015
Philathropism at its best

6 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by adjoviomole(m): 9:52am On Aug 07, 2015
Father lord I thank you for creating me the way I am..even tho I am the ugliest in my family I still appereciate you lord..thank you father kiss

I know som ppl will go and check my pix to see how ugly I am grin... nairalanders n pishor grin

6 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by valandy99(m): 9:52am On Aug 07, 2015
ohia africa thank u guys so much for helping this poor little girl

7 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by VickyRotex(f): 9:52am On Aug 07, 2015
cry wooow. I'm impressed!

God Bless OHAI AFRICA, God Bless the doctors.

adjoviomole:
Father lord I thank you for creating me the way I am..[s]even tho I am the ugliest in my family I still appereciate you lord[/s] ..thank you father kiss

Fixed!!
Bros, that's not how to show appreciation na. If you really wanna appreciate, then you should know "we are wonderfully created"

9 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by phransix147(m): 9:53am On Aug 07, 2015
Thank God for wisdom

4 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by pretydiva(f): 9:54am On Aug 07, 2015
She's so pretty. Thank God she was able 2 get her life back

6 Likes

Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 07, 2015
nnn
Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by punchbabe: 9:56am On Aug 07, 2015
hmmn nawa;meanwhile fp things
Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by Psalmmie001(m): 9:57am On Aug 07, 2015
Eh yah
Re: The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 07, 2015
Quick recovery

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

British Man Dies From Coronavirus In Japan / 'Bug-Chasers' - People Trying To Catch HIV/AIDS / UNICEF Warns Lockdown Could Kill More Than COVID-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.