Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market (39402 Views)

FG Uncovers 925 Hard-to-fill Vacancies In Labour Market / Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? / Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by nobleens(f): 9:54am On Aug 07, 2015
With the high rate of students graduating from the Nigerian institutions, what is the hope of a 2.2, third and pass holder in the Nigerian labour market?

Opinions please..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by XTROVAT: 10:00am On Aug 07, 2015
The hope/chance there is is like the eye of a needle.
Without the having the right network of connections, 'hmmm' is the case.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by dayo23(f): 10:35am On Aug 07, 2015
nobleens:
with the high rate of students graduating from the Nigerian institutions what is the hope of a 2.2,third and pass holder in the Nigerian labour market? 0pinions pls
cc lalasticlala
XTROVAT:
The hope/chance there is is like the eye of a needle.
Without the having the right network of connections, 'hmmm' is the case.
bros none is a guaranty for you oo, carry 2.1 for head say you go get automatic employment till your head go full with white hairs nothing go show. If God dey your side na sure banker, nothing man fit do, If you get conection baba your own don better, Nigeria now is who you know. Am saying this base on experience.

98 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by atama27(m): 11:04am On Aug 07, 2015
[quote author=nobleens post=36697549]with the high rate of students graduating from the Nigerian institutions what is the hope of a 2.2,third and pass holder in the Nigerian labour market? 0pinions pls

cc lalasticlala [/quote. Your grades don't matter my dear, all that matters is God's grace, so many people I knw with Pass are doin well,better than most first class graduates.

12 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by khassy(m): 12:02pm On Aug 07, 2015
yes

learn a trade or get professional certificate

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by klem93(m): 12:02pm On Aug 07, 2015
there is hope.... the hope is called #CONNECTION

7 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by damiloladuke: 12:03pm On Aug 07, 2015
little hope.... but develop yourself psychologically and build your confidence then your communication skills and look good... u stand a chance

meanwhile if you wanna laugh tire today
CHECK MY SIGNATURE TO READ MY FUNNY SECRET DIARY

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by brightballer(m): 12:03pm On Aug 07, 2015
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by hardywaltz(m): 12:03pm On Aug 07, 2015
No
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Youngzedd(m): 12:04pm On Aug 07, 2015
You're paid for what you can do, not what you know.

16 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by olasha1(m): 12:04pm On Aug 07, 2015
h

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by philusaau(f): 12:04pm On Aug 07, 2015
If no hope then there is God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by metrosexual: 12:04pm On Aug 07, 2015
Below are words of a successful 2:2 graduate;

"First and foremost I'd like to unequivocally state that a 2:1 gives you an edge over the 2:2 graduates especially for shortlisting
purposes. Most graduate trainee programs have a minimum of 2:1 as their requirement.

Now to 2:2 graduates, I'd advise folks in this
category to add a proven competency other than your 2:2 grade to make you shine in the eyes of an employer. I'd use myself as an example, I polished my writing skills, my diction and communication skills.

Weeks before finishing NYSC, I wrote a
proposal to a top multinational firm, attached my CV and a cover letter, I got an invite for an interview, just minutes into the interview the HR manager said... "I love your diction!" ...Your proposal was an excellent idea, I just wanted to hear you talk."

And as you guessed right, I got the job! Mind you, I graduated with a 2:2 and my start up salary was close to six digits.

Apart from your 2:1 or 2:2, every employer respects "IDEAS" over a certificate. I have a very good job today because I sold an idea to my employer.

Another option for 2:2 graduates is to add
professional certifications to your certificate to give your CV some shine, go for Internationally recognised certifications in your profession, the likes of CISA, CISCO, NEBOSH, Prince 2, etc.

If that's far reached you can go for certification from Nigerian Institutes, the likes of Institute of Chattered Accountants of Nigeria, Nigerian institute of Management, Chattered institute of Personnel Management and others. And mind you, you must not read Accounting in University to get an ICAN certification. I had a friend who read Statistics and in final year he registered for ICAN, before finishing NYSC he got his ICAN certification and works in a multinational corporation now, and mind you, he graduated with a 2:2.

I bet you that a 2:2 with CISA or ORACLE 11g would beat a 2:1 graduate to a job.

A 2:2 graduate with ICAN before hitting age 27 would give you a job almost anyplace you apply.

A 2:1 just gives you a better chance over the 2:2 graduates for the case of Graduate Trainee programs, but how many jobs do Graduate Trainee Programs offer? VERY FEW!"

My last words to everyone is this ... Hustle hard!! If you made 2:1 make sure it works for you, if you got a 2:2 acquire extra skills and competences to convince an employer that you are competent enough. All the best everyone!!!

135 Likes 9 Shares

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 07, 2015
The ones wen get 2.1 still dey find am difficult self, na con 2.2.

Branch into business and be an employer of labor rather than be an employee. The first few years will be difficult and you might feel frustrated seeing your mates receiving the perks of paid jobs but as time goes by and your business develops, there's no way you can regret it. That's if you know what you're doing though!!

Nothing like being self employed. Just find your niche and build your world. As for capital, start with what you have now in your pocket.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by bendutch(m): 12:04pm On Aug 07, 2015
No hope. The lagoon is better for you.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by sojiboy(m): 12:04pm On Aug 07, 2015
Hope
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by chynergy1(m): 12:04pm On Aug 07, 2015
MMM
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 07, 2015
yes Music industry .

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by sigiyaya(m): 12:04pm On Aug 07, 2015
they should just hit the street with their laptops grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by deebsman1(m): 12:05pm On Aug 07, 2015
Gods favor, thou its tough, but with God all is possible. Among my own circle of friends, the 1 that is doing well the most as of now is 1 with 3rd class in a top telcos. SO what matters after favor, is self development in all sense, maybe learning a trade, professional cert, masters, connections, managing a lil job or what have you. Its not easy, but nobody should just be sitting idly, wake up every morning and try to do something, one day God's favor will find you #alubarika

7 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by yorke1: 12:05pm On Aug 07, 2015
Yes there is...even someone with pass has hope. With God anything is possible. What you become in life is not tied to a common piece of paper. Once you are connected to God, nothing shall be impossible.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Nobody: 12:05pm On Aug 07, 2015
Yes!!! An emphatic YES!!! You have hope.
Let me start with the bad part. The ugly part is that you may not be able to get invited for bank recruitment exercises or other organizations in that "web" but there are tons of international, reputable companies with solid plans and finance that will not look at your degree if you have what they want.

Any one who graduates with a 2:2 from the university has an equal shot at blazing the trail and reaching the peak in life successes with anyone who graduates with a 2:1 and 1st class. In fact, it means nothing.
Yes, this 2:1, and 1:1 could bring opportunities but your passion, skills, character, vision, composure, self-actualization and worth can bring you life successes with your 2:2 as well.

Do you even need education to survive? NO!!! Education will give you a day job but will never make you utilize your innate skill and potential to becoming a millionaire.

You are made for more in life and you just need to study more and wide, grow, think differently, do things differently and believe in yourself to achieve what great minds achieve.

Every one with a good life starts with the regeneration of their minds.
Think positively, think possibilities.

To be factual, for me, this topic is a "No Topic"

Get on my site; www.nairamode.com on how to contact me for insights.

12 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Coolcash1: 12:06pm On Aug 07, 2015
There is hope. Holders of this grade should support it with professional certification relevant in their field and have requisite skills that will make them employable.

When I am to recruit, I don't restrict 2.2 graduates from applying for the job. In this era that private universities have turned first class into pure water (and coupled with what I have seen so far in practice), then I will be doing my employer disservice if I limit myself to this category only.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by daimlerbenz: 12:06pm On Aug 07, 2015
Humble advice, go in for your masters immediately. Do well, pray, you might just see a prof build interest in you. He gets you a lecturership, you obtain your PhD and then become a prof. Finally enter politics.

nobleens:
With the high rate of students graduating from the Nigerian institutions, what is the hope of a 2.2, third and pass holder in the Nigerian labour market?

Opinions please..

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Nobody: 12:06pm On Aug 07, 2015
I have 2:2 with considerably good job nw.! Its not about what u scored but what u can do. Thou am running my M.Sc nw to improve it

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Icon4s(m): 12:06pm On Aug 07, 2015
Op to tell you tthe truth. With a 2:2 u are screwed up bt nt completely.
The Nigerian system has it that after school u go looking for job. The easiest way to stand out of d crowd of millions of fresh graduates is to make atleast a 2:1 bc this puts u at d higher 10% percentile and increases ur chance of being shortlisted for aptitude tests.

Ur 2:2 puts u in d popular basket where most graduates fall into making u having to compete with almost every graduate for d few available position.In this case ur chance of getting that job becomes slimmer.

Peeps have come here shouting it doesnt matter," what u need is connection", "Grace of God", "Go for ur masters", "become self employed", "go for certifications"," what employers look at is skills & nt result". Yes it works for some. But note it that:

-Not everybody has d necessary connections. Some pple bc their uncle is a gate man in a company feel they have connection.

-God rewards hard work with excellence. U didnt play ur part as a student and at d end of d day expect God to come and work wonders. Miracles are nt common that is y they are called miracles.

-U are adviced by some to go for masters.Note that in most cases what will still give u dat job is ur first degree. Masters changes little or nothing. U are still goinf back for more theories with little or no industry experience. If u graduate at 21 or 22yrs better for u. But when u graduate at 26-28yrs and then go for master by d time u are out u are already over 30yrs and that further compound ur woes bc most companies put a maximum age of 24-27.

-Some say become self employed. Note dat it is nt everybody that has d entrepreneural skills.If u study a course dat u can use to practise better for u. Eg: Architecture, Civil Engineering, Pharmacy, mayb Law. Bt for some causes d Nigerian situation cannot allow u practise except u seek employment.

-Some say get certifications.If u like get 100 certifications, the first thing employers use to select candidates for fresh graduate position is 1st degree.

-Some say companies focus more on skills or what u can do. This can only apply for experienced positions. What employers need for graduate trainee applicants is that paper degree ceritificate.

The advice i can give to a graduate with 2:2 depends on:
-The person's age
-The course studied
-Location of residence among others.

However, remember i said a person with 2:2 is screwed up bt nt completely. I am implying dat it is bad bt u can still help ur self. Jst dat u have to work extra hard and in most cases nt likely to get a job as quickly as 1:1 & 2:1 graduates.

Students that still have d opportunity should learn from this thread.

I dnt want to talk abt pple with 3rd class and pass.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Awwal1st(m): 12:06pm On Aug 07, 2015
Which Course? Just Pray and start your business
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by freshness2020: 12:06pm On Aug 07, 2015
Why not!
Since the word "HOPE" is still in the "Bible". You have no cause to be scared!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by funmilade4real(m): 12:06pm On Aug 07, 2015
As long as you have God.
I have a third class colleague who is earning 3ce salary of a 2.1 person

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Adesiji77: 12:07pm On Aug 07, 2015
Plenty...provided you have something to offer.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application / Ptdf Oil And Gas Field Training Programme / Canada Desperately Looking To Fill 430,000 Vacant Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.