Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,194 members, 7,780,328 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:32 PM

Chigozie Obioma's 'The Fishermen' Listed For 2015 Man Booker Prize - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chigozie Obioma's 'The Fishermen' Listed For 2015 Man Booker Prize (12777 Views)

George Saunders Becomes 2nd American To Win Man Booker Prize / Short Notes On Chigozie Obioma’s “the Fishermen” / 'Stay With Me': Ayobami Adebayo Listed For UK Baileys Women's Prize For Fiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chigozie Obioma's 'The Fishermen' Listed For 2015 Man Booker Prize by DonDiego(m): 3:03pm On Aug 11, 2015
slap1:

Achebe won the Man Booker too.

If Achebe won it, with what book did he do so, biko?
Re: Chigozie Obioma's 'The Fishermen' Listed For 2015 Man Booker Prize by DonDiego(m): 3:05pm On Aug 11, 2015
wiseoneking:
I hope you are not so uninformed. CHINUA ACHEBE HAS WON IT BEFORE

Achebe never won this type of Booker. His was merely honorary. This type is actually for a specific work.
Re: Chigozie Obioma's 'The Fishermen' Listed For 2015 Man Booker Prize by slap1(m): 4:51pm On Aug 11, 2015
DonDiego:

If Achebe won it, with what book did he do so, biko?
He won it in honour of his literary achievement, not with a particular book.
Re: Chigozie Obioma's 'The Fishermen' Listed For 2015 Man Booker Prize by Deltagiant: 4:59pm On Aug 11, 2015
deebsman1:
Good for him, good for Nigeria.
Something like this a classic case of how we should b viewing individuals, he's igbo, but the outside world won't know him as igbo but rather, a Nigerian thus bringing pride to the nation as a whole. Guess, its high time we stop celebrating pettiness and focus on real issues.
Am not igbo, but it seems the ibo's have a fine way of written and using words hence people from that extraction always making wave even outside nija in the area of literature, kudos to them for that.
i hate nobody, i am firstly an offa man, then yoruba man, then nigerian and then a peace loving world citizen.
#peaceout

It all depends on how we configure our minds. Firstly, I don't like to identify with 'Nigeria' for obvious reasons

Therefore, the Igbo gift you mentioned was rather an African heritage, which i'm more comfortable with

It belongs to all of us. The Igbos do it for Africa, regardless of whether you're Igbo, Zulu, Ijaw, Idoma, Ashanti, Yoruba...

What's so important about 'Nigeria'

1 Like

Re: Chigozie Obioma's 'The Fishermen' Listed For 2015 Man Booker Prize by imsuboi(m): 5:02pm On Aug 11, 2015
ThisDumebi:
I can't help you if you missed the neutrality of my comment!

You & I know your comment is far from being neutral.
Re: Chigozie Obioma's 'The Fishermen' Listed For 2015 Man Booker Prize by deebsman1(m): 6:47pm On Aug 11, 2015
I will agree as u put it, that's its an african thingy but why not want to identify with Nigeria?
I detest what is happening day-in, day-out in the country like yourself, but we don't have any other place to call home. Nigeria is still and will always be our heritage, even Obama have to still recognize kenya even he wasn't born there, that tells us your root is your root, let's love and pray for what's our own.....but once again i detest what happens daily in Nigeria, i hope and pray it gets better.
Deltagiant:

It all depends on how we configure our minds. Firstly, I don't like to identify with 'Nigeria' for obvious reasons

Therefore, the Igbo gift you mentioned was rather an African heritage, which i'm more comfortable with

It belongs to all of us. The Igbos do it for Africa, regardless of whether you're Igbo, Zulu, Ijaw, Idoma, Ashanti, Yoruba...

What's so important about 'Nigeria'
Re: Chigozie Obioma's 'The Fishermen' Listed For 2015 Man Booker Prize by Nobody: 7:54pm On Aug 11, 2015
lawanson44:
Igbo Kwenu.

Ewedu Eaters won't like this. grin grin grin

In spite of the Igbo name, the guy is an'Ewedu Eater', a Yoruba boy. cheesy

cheesy Yes I said it. And the entire story was set in Akure, the capital city of Ondo State where he was born and grew up. Yoruba land nutured him, the sum total of his formative experiences is Yoruba.

Eat your heart out. tongue
Re: Chigozie Obioma's 'The Fishermen' Listed For 2015 Man Booker Prize by Nobody: 10:22pm On Aug 11, 2015
ziddy:

In spite of the Igbo name, the guy is an'Ewedu Eater', a Yoruba boy. cheesy

cheesy Yes I said it. And the entire story was set in Akure, the capital city of Ondo State where he was born and grew up. Yoruba land nutured him, the sum total of his formative experiences is Yoruba.

Eat your heart out. tongue

Oh...una wan claim this one now abi? Swerve inside gutter abeg. That he lives in Ondo does not mean he eats your slimy soup
Re: Chigozie Obioma's 'The Fishermen' Listed For 2015 Man Booker Prize by bummyla(m): 12:19am On Aug 12, 2015
Congratulations Bros! http://www.bummyla.com
Re: Chigozie Obioma's 'The Fishermen' Listed For 2015 Man Booker Prize by simdam500(m): 9:24pm On Aug 20, 2015
Good for him

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Current Most Celebrated African Author / What Lies Beneath / Nigerian Girl Living In The UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.