Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,898 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

FG To Increase VAT To 10% - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Increase VAT To 10% (23753 Views)

Adeosun: 55% Of Nigeria’s VAT Is From Lagos / IMF Loan Wahala Continues: VAT To Double To 10%!! / FG To Increase VAT From 5% To 10% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by kulobyno: 9:09pm On Aug 07, 2015
SenseiX:

Ghana has a VAT Of 17.5%

Chai
*runsbacktonigeria*
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by yinchar(m): 9:11pm On Aug 07, 2015
This is the best for this country, no country can sincerely be successfully with VAT less than 10%....honestly

1 Like

Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by karimhuu: 9:12pm On Aug 07, 2015
I disagree
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Young4jose: 9:16pm On Aug 07, 2015
writetopoker:
confused govnment, rubbing peter to pay paul. Stressing d already weak economy. Is dis d employment?, secuirity?, 5k unployed payment? N1to$1? Gud roads? Etc idiotic presdo, confused pedophila
. U r a big Fool I swear........!
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by OmoNwa: 9:19pm On Aug 07, 2015
Nigerians need to imbibe the culture of payment of tax so that we can hold d govt accountable since it's our sweat
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by bigtt76(f): 9:24pm On Aug 07, 2015
UK is 20% grin

kulobyno:
What d fvck. The 5percent has been an issue to biz men like me when applying for Tax Cearance. When you calcukate Vat for customers they scream. now 10 percent is nightmare.
#ishouldbeinghana

Chai!!!
*runsbacktonigeria*
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by wiseoneking: 9:25pm On Aug 07, 2015
januzaj:
okOloriburuku omo ................it's your region that is zoo in Nigeria......you people are Animals............Indonesia.. Malaysia.... China... are killing you guys....buh ....you keep on pushing drugs....only Animals behave the way you do....especially goats...if a goat is punished for doing something bad....it ll still come back to do that same thing
Angry man is a hungry man.
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by wiseoneking: 9:28pm On Aug 07, 2015
Flye:
I'm a big fan of change, but I don't support this unless the 10% is going to be on luxury goods and services, supper rich and already strong industries. Otherwise industries are already folding up in large quantity, last year MAN lost 20% of her members in just a year.
The only sensible burari worshipper. Not just yes ma follower.

1 Like

Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by musicwriter(m): 9:28pm On Aug 07, 2015
Freemanan:
Nigeria plans to double the value-added tax rate to 10 per cent this year to help shore up government revenue eroded by the declining price of oil, the country’s main export, the Federal Inland Revenue Service said.

“The plan is to increase to 10 percent this year, but we have to consult first with relevant stakeholders,” Sunday Ogungbesan, Acting Executive Chairman of the FIRS, told reporters.

Nigeria depends on crude exports for about 70 per cent of government revenue and more than 90 percent of foreign exchange. The price of Brent crude has dropped by more than half since peaking in June last year, undermining President Muhammadu Buhari’s ability to deliver on his election promises since he took office in May.

FIRS will put more effort in meeting targets after its collection of 1.97 trillion naira ($9.9 billion) in revenue in the first half fell short of a goal of 2.29 trillion naira, Ogungbesan said.

“If we achieve our revenue targets, to a great extent government deficits will be reduced,” he said. “Our plan is to bring every business into the tax net, this economy can survive outside oil,” he noted.

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/fg-to-increase-vat-to-10/

Of course, we can do without oil. Japan have no oil, yet it's the 3 largest economy in the world. But, they did it by embracing science not by raising taxes!.

Until we do the same, we'll not be free from the oil curse.
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Spybradd: 9:35pm On Aug 07, 2015
ladyF:
Nooo impossible. The economy is hard enough for the common man already. Fuel price never come down. We go still buy fuel for gen and transport. Big NO.

[size=20pt] LadyF [/size] and nairalanders strongly object.
u gotta be kidding,yall voted for change and change is what yall getting-10% vat increment and for u and other change elements who wants to object to this,yall must be high on Lady F's gaseousness...
grin
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Spybradd: 9:40pm On Aug 07, 2015
januzaj:
okOloriburuku omo ................it's your region that is zoo in Nigeria......you people are Animals............Indonesia.. Malaysia.... China... are killing you guys....buh ....you keep on pushing drugs....only Animals behave the way you do....especially goats...if a goat is punished for doing something bad....it ll still come back to do that same thing

"ABC...OF HOW TO FOAM IN THE MOUTH"
grin grin grin
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Happiness87(f): 9:40pm On Aug 07, 2015
BlackBaron:
Nigerians don't like to pay tax but want good roads, schools and hospitals?

Even at 10%, it's one of the lowest in the world!

stop comparing Nigeria to other nations,

those nations have better facilities and infrastructure and they don't have 18500 as minimum wage.

Salaries have not increase, expect prices of goods to increase by 15-35%.

Companies are struggling esp manufacturing sector and they are the ones to be worst hit by the policy.

government can raise IGR through other means not impoverishing the masses, any government policy that does not benefit the people is wrong, no matter how good it seems, the government was instituted because of the people.

when NLC embarks on strike, we will start complaining that they are wicked
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Happiness87(f): 9:42pm On Aug 07, 2015
bigtt76:
UK is 20% grin

Nigerians are not enjoying the kind of facilities that are in UK.

don't compare us with other countries

2 Likes

Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by vislabraye(m): 9:45pm On Aug 07, 2015
EgunMogaji:
I'm a Nairalander and I'm not objecting.

What Buhari needs to ensure is that the hole where the resources goes into are plugged so that the common man with a vision can see gains in the future.

The government needs money to operate, they need money to do all these things that we are asking for, good roads, healthcare, education, etc

If they stopped corruption and makes each department heads accountable for their budgets then I'm good.

We all have a part to play in this play. Sunday Ogungbesan must make sure that he doesn't live beyond his salary, doesn't have millions in his account, and other frivolous stuff like that.
But I thought these guys are going to recover looted funds to run the govt. How long should we wait until these monies are repatriated ? If Buhari can recover our money abroad, it should be enough to run the government at least for a while.
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Dbboy(m): 9:45pm On Aug 07, 2015
And we would do anything to avoid paying it
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 07, 2015
vislabraye:

But I thought these guys are going to recover looted funds to run the govt. How long should we wait until these monies are repatriated ? If Buhari can recover our money abroad, it should be enough to run the government at least for a while.

We can't wait for that money before we can start to turn this ship around.

That money may come back in time for the next government to continue the work but this government needs money to operate.

It is the duty of all of us to pay adequate tax.

When I get paid I paid up to 35% in employment taxes, then when I spend the rest I get taxed on 10% on grocery, gasoline, clothes, etc

This is what makes the economy here what it is that everybody wants to come here.

Anyways we can't wait for that money. Maybe when the money comes we can get a refund individually.
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 07, 2015
Sai Dull@rd.

Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by vhykeeytor(m): 9:52pm On Aug 07, 2015
I sincerely hope the federal government of Nigeria is also thinking of increasing workers salary from 18k to 50k monthly. Its only when this is done that I will take this government serious.
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Nobody: 9:52pm On Aug 07, 2015
yinchar:
This is the best for this country, no country can sincerely be successfully with VAT less than 10%....honestly

Thank you Sir.

This will also slow down excess spending by certain idiots of the society. When you're going to build/buy a mansion of N100,000,000 and you know there is a tax of N10,000,000 due then they'll know what's up. The local government that gets N10,000,000 better provide good roads for that area grin

1 Like

Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by yorke1: 9:53pm On Aug 07, 2015
Buhari is a f00l. So he has no plan on how to generate revenue. He was busy running his smelling mouth during campaign for vote. 5% vat is still a major challenge and the silly man that called himself the president is thinking of increasing it to 10%. This man is a dullard indeed!

1 Like

Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by atlwireles: 9:54pm On Aug 07, 2015
10% on whom? Sorry lagosians, this a tax on you people. I hope the govs oppose it. Instead states should be allowed to increase the VAT and spend all themselves. Another scheme to transfer wealth from producers to takers. angry angry angry angry
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by BlackBaron: 10:01pm On Aug 07, 2015
Happiness87:
stop comparing Nigeria to other nations,

those nations have better facilities and infrastructure and they don't have 18500 as minimum wage.

Salaries have not increase, expect prices of goods to increase by 15-35%.

Companies are struggling esp manufacturing sector and they are the ones to be worst hit by the policy.

government can raise IGR through other means not impoverishing the masses, any government policy that does not benefit the people is wrong, no matter how good it seems, the government was instituted because of the people.

when NLC embarks on strike, we will start complaining that they are wicked
Lady, VAT is tax on goods! This is the only part of the world where the citizens think only oil would give them the standard of living they aspire.

Fine, don't pay it! Kontinu...with your shabby roads, electricity, no water and expect that a massive oil windfall would fall to give Dubai's standard of living. You all need exposure man!

No one's fault that most of you never knew there was something called 'Value Added Tax'. Other countries pay minimum 15% VAT but my fellow countrymen want to almost commit riots over taxes.
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Nobody: 10:04pm On Aug 07, 2015
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Happiness87(f): 10:12pm On Aug 07, 2015
BlackBaron:

Lady, VAT is tax on goods! This is the only part of the world where the citizens think only oil would give them the standard of living they aspire.

Fine, don't pay it! Kontinu...with your shabby roads, electricity, no water and expect that a massive oil windfall would fall to give Dubai's standard of living. You all need exposure man!
you need more exposure than you think.

Did Dubai raise tax to develop the nation ?? did they use tax to build their cities
no one is saying Taxes are not good, the timing is wrong, there should be a long term plan and how the effects will be cushioned, you don't need to raise taxes to construct roads.

For your information bulk of your IGR are used to pay salaries and allowances of political office holders, dont allow them to deceive you.
Let them cut cost of running the nation , cut off useless allowances/ merge none functional ministries and govt agencies, Block leakages and wastage.

Government can invest money in other sectors and raise IGR.

Stop dancing because its APC thats is power if it was GEJ or PDP govt, you will start occupy Nigeria campaigns
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Happiness87(f): 10:19pm On Aug 07, 2015
BlackBaron:

No one's fault that most of you never knew there was something called 'Value Added Tax'. Other countries pay minimum 15% VAT but my fellow countrymen want to almost commit riots over taxes
see how foolish you are.....

lecture us what you know about VAT, do you think you are talking to kids or fools.

Grow up and mind the words you use online

1 Like

Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Flye: 10:20pm On Aug 07, 2015
wiseoneking:
The only sensible burari worshipper. Not just yes ma follower.
We are reasonable people not wailers who criticise because of tribal/ethnic prejudice. If wailers can be reasonable why will everybody not say the truth but when we have wailers who sing praises to someone who messed up the whole nation and criticises innocent man who is trying to clear the mess of their hero.
It is obvious some people are hell bent on create hatred for for PMB by twisting fact and changing history with lies and propaganda, it is necessary for the people that love the nation to stand up to them and support the man through thick and thin.
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 07, 2015
Mogidi:

Wow!
Nigeria is nothing without the Niger Delta, the goose that lay the golden egg.
nigeria is as good as a shit hole without the niger delta presently...

I cant believe that the government wants to turn on us to wedge the economy..what ever happeneed to slashing the salaries and allowances of government officials to the lowest point?...what ever happened to diversifying our useless economy from the niger delta oil?... angry angry..rubbish...

1 Like

Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Nobody: 10:31pm On Aug 07, 2015
IzonOwei:
nigeria is as good as a shit hole without the niger delta presently...

I cant believe that the government wants to turn on us to wedge the economy..what ever happeneed to slashing the salaries and allowances of government officials to the lowest point?...what ever happened to diversifying our useless economy from the niger delta oil?... angry angry..rubbish...
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 07, 2015
Expect people that doesn't pay tax to show up here and support these shitt.

All we do in this country is pay and pay and get nothing in return.
Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by philips70(m): 10:42pm On Aug 07, 2015
Nice move, FG needs money to pay the N5000 TANoids have been disturbing for ever since. They have to get frequent data to keep the weeping, wailing, mourning and gnashing of teeth till 2019.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by BlackBaron: 10:44pm On Aug 07, 2015
Happiness87:
see how foolish you are.....

lecture us what you know about VAT, do you think you are talking to kids or fools.

Grow up and mind the words you use online
Lol

UAE is rich enough to afford no VAT so also Saudi. Have you checked their oil revenues against their population? Besides now, with low oil prices they are considering introducing... Show me one developed country without a tangible money spinner that has even 5% VAT. I'll be waiting! I want the GDP and Per Capita too so we can start drawing up a pattern.

Nigeria's oil revenues would never carry 170 million of you. FACT!
SO tell me Einstein, what other revenue source would be open to build up the country. Don't mention Agriculture, etc

All you are thinking is your pockets, how you'll use the rest for makeup and not pay tax on it. Do you know the kind of taxes people pay alone then VAT added. Must be the only country where citizens don't want to sweat but want roads to fall from heaven.

End of this discussion. Like I have said, when you gain a bit of exposure and knowledge! Come back.

1 Like

Re: FG To Increase VAT To 10% by Brightology2(m): 10:51pm On Aug 07, 2015
E-cow
CR77:
Ode tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari Should Make Jonathan’s Mistakes, Says Omokri / EFCC Threatens To Jail Patience Jonathan / Fashola: Oil Prices Drove Nigeria’s Growth Under Jonathan’s – NOT His Policies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.