Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,258 members, 7,807,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible (10402 Views)

Man Takes Poison After Son Caught Him Attempting To Rape Daughter / Chinese Arrested For Attempting To Rape Nigerian Girl In Lagos / Driver Kills Teenage Girl While Trying To Rape Her In School Bus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by firdaus4us: 6:25pm On Sep 28, 2006
Christians follow the laws of the Bible only. All of their religious sources, laws and verdicts come straight from the Bible (if we were to have true Christian countries where Church would rule over the State), except for Roman Catholics where they have other Volumes written by Church Fathers and Popes. But most Christians in the world have no religious resources other than the Bible.Therefore, let us look at what the Bible says regarding this issue:

Rape is a big crime that could actually take the woman's or the victim's life away.
Let us examine how Christianity deals with the rapist: "If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives. (From the NIV Bible, Deuteronomy 22:28)"

Although this Verse from the Bible only talks about virgins, but its the only verse in the entire Bible that talks about raping single women. Not to be biased or anything, but the Bible seems to have quite weird things in it that are quite irrational and quite ridiculous.

Deuteronomy 22:28 forces the raped woman to marry her rapist. My question to the writers of the Bible is why in the world would any raped female victim want to be in the same town, not the same bedroom !! with her rapist?.

Also, the Bible seems to promote raping of single women: "But if out in the country a man happens to meet a girl pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. (From the NIV Bible, Deuteronomy 22:25)"

This is quite an interesting verse. We see in Deuteronomy 22:28 that if a man rapes a single woman then she will be forced to be his wife, while if a man rapes a married woman or a woman who is spoken for, in Deuteronomy 22:25, then he shall be put to death.

There is absolutely no punishment for the rapist of a single woman in the Bible. For those Christians who think that they don't have to follow the Old Testament, well my answer to them is this:

The Old Testament prohibits for the brother to marry his sister, or for the son to marry his mother. The New Testament doesn't even talk about it. Does that mean that a Christian brother can marry his sister? or a Christian son can marry his mother? Jesus himself anyway ordered his followers to follow the Old Testament, so their argument is totally invalid.

Question to Jews and Christians: How is the Bible supposed to prevent some loser from stalking the most beautiful single woman in town, rape her, and then sue her in court to become his wife so he can continue raping her for the rest of her life?!
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by TayoD(m): 6:50pm On Sep 28, 2006
@firdausus4us,

Question to Jews and Christians:   How is the Bible supposed to prevent some loser from stalking the most beautiful single woman in town, rape her, and then sue her in court to become his wife so he can continue raping her for the rest of her life?!
The answer to that is very simple.  Romans 13:1-6 tells us how societal lawlwssnes should and is meant to be handled: 
Romans 13:1-6 1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. 2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: 4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. 5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake. 6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

The rule of law that governs that society is meant to handle such cases.   The Bible also provides for us the 3 branches of Government (as practiced in most democracies) and how each is meant to work.  When these branches do their jobs as required, then every evil doer like a rapist will face the judgement for such actions.

There is more to those verses that you read and I just don't have the time to go into it with you now. But first, maybe you should read all the chapter and find out what the Bible compares a rape to and tell me if you feel the Bible encourages rape.

1 Like

Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by Backslider(m): 7:35pm On Sep 28, 2006
Firdaus4them,

I have read what you said and I was expect this retaliation in your hearts of Hearts. you know Christians and Jew (Isreal) are not the same people.

We follow Christ teaching of Love and holiness in the power of The Holy Ghost. You must Know That The law was trying to correct the Moral WRONG IN A JEWISH STATE.

Xtianity can be made a religion of State. BUT THE FOLLOWERSHIP OF CHRIST HAS NO BUSINESS IN GOVERNMENT YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE.

YOU SEE IN THIS MORAL LAW OF THE STATE OF ISREAL THERE WAS PUNISHMENT CORRECTION LOVE PROTECTION. BUT WITH SOME OTHER BOOKS I KNOW THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THIS.

CHRIST DID NOT COME TO CREATE A JEWISH STATE OR CHRISTIAN STATE.

THE BIGGEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD IS A SECULAR ONE CHINA.
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by ishmael(m): 7:48pm On Sep 28, 2006
Why una dey answer that craze man sef?? What does he know about christianity and the Bible?? Just quoting verses that he cannot explain nor understand.
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by goodguy(m): 8:02pm On Sep 28, 2006
ishmael:

Why una dey answer that craze man sef?? What does he know about christianity and the Bible?? Just quoting verses that he cannot explain nor understand.

Put him in the know, mister!

FOD
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by Nobody: 9:24pm On Sep 28, 2006
firdaus4us:

Also, the Bible seems to promote raping of single women: "But if out in the country a man happens to meet a girl pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. (From the NIV Bible, Deuteronomy 22:25)"

Is the above quote not ludicrous? How can you claim the bible "promotes" rape when it expressly states the penalty for rape as DEATH? Is it just cut and paste that you know? At least read before you paste!

Besides these laws related expressly to a JEWISH state, no where did Christ make those laws as general laws for all mankind!

So sad to see you so desperately grasping straws just to prove the bible is on the same plain as that your manual of hate!
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by kiki(f): 10:02pm On Sep 28, 2006
when readin d bible u got to also apply ur brains to it u got to think outside d box u are suppose to read it and understad well since u didn't get it wat does that mean u r dumb
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by Aggressa(m): 10:51pm On Sep 28, 2006
@ firdau4u:
(1) The laws in the books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy etc in old testaments were the laws to the nation of Israel in those days. The laws are not the laws of Bible for Christians as you are trying to claim; - ignorant and hare brainbed as always. grin
(2) The coming of Jesus Christ has removed all the need for the laws of the old testament because we , I mean Christians, are now under the dispesation of GRACE and not of Law. We have a New Covenant in Jesus Christ; that is contained in the New Testaments for CHRISTIANS, my dear.
(3) As you can see from the biblical quotation from the book of Romans by TayoD, Christians are to live in obedience to the laws of the land while faith and believe in Jesus Christ, his words, teachings and life is to create the renewal of the mind, because righteousness is from the Lord through faith in Jesus Christ. Even the present day of Israel do not operate those laws of leviticus and deuteronomy now.
(4) You are probably trying to 'retaliate' for the recent exposure of all sorts of atrocities permitted in Islam as written in the Quran, unfortunately you've made a very big fool of yourself by showing you do not understand what you read. Rather than ask for help with understanding, the spirit of anti-christ in you is closing you eyes and heart. You can compare this with your Sharia nations and states who are trying to attain righteousness by Sharia law, there glaring failure is evident for all to see. Gov. Sani Yerima has just been described as one of the topmost looters in Nigeria. Captain of Sharia law. See the futility of law as a way to righteousness?

@All;
Kindly remember this guy firdau4u in your prayers; according to the epistels of John 1, 2 and 3, the spirit of Anti-christ is one that rejects the divinity of Jesus and incarnation of Jesus as God in flesh and this spirit is in the world now. It is this spirit that you we are seeing in firdau4u and his fellow 'jammat' and Gnostics and even those/any christian groups that tries to lower the divine status if Jesus.
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by izoneb(f): 11:07pm On Sep 28, 2006
Since thats what you are researching in the Bible you de try.
Keep it up you will soon see more than what u bargained for.For good though.Goodluck!!!!!
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by mrmayor(m): 11:10pm On Sep 28, 2006
Havila and Davidylan,

If these laws in the Old Testament are meant for the Jewish Nation as you guys have stated,why then do Christians insist on Paying Tithes or do you choose what part of the Bible to accept?

No hating please,just asking a question.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by Aggressa(m): 11:30pm On Sep 28, 2006
Dear MrMayor,
Thanks for your question and no hating too. As per tithes,the 2 part questioin is What did Bible say about it? and to whom? In old testeament, it was a command of God to the nation of Israel no doubt (Malachi 3:10), however the instruction to the people of God now is to give cheerfully and generous and according to your capability toward the work of God and men of God under whom you learn (The book of Ephesians). It is true that the concept of tithes and giving generally as been abused in many churches today, and some peoples have become disenfranchised wth giving in general; however, faith cometh through hearing and hearing by the word of God. That is why it is important for christian s to have understanign by reading the bible.
Whether you give 2%, 5%, 10% 50% or 100% of your income is your decision; as long as you give your best according to your capability, cheerfully with no grudge or hesistation and in all humility to God. Giving of offering or thites is not buying blessing from God, it giving in appreciation to God. He first loves us before we loved him and this is demostrated by the sending of His only begotten son to die for our sins; in the same vein, he has first blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places, and giving is our way of showing appreciation, not buying blessing from God. Hope that is helpful, looking forward t other contributions.
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by Ugwumba(m): 12:22am On Sep 29, 2006
The true translation from the original Hebrew of DEUT 22:28 is:

If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, that is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;

The two Hebrew words used here are: 'taphas' - to lay hold & 'shakab' - to lie down with, which have been erroneously translated to 'rape' in some English translations of the OT.

The word for 'rape' used extensively and almost exclusively in the Hebrew OT is 'chazaq' - forces to lie with in DEUT 22:25 and GENE 34: 1 -7.

I leave those who can read Hebrew with the original scripts to confirm this.

כִּי-יִמְצָא אִישׁ, נַעֲרָ בְתוּלָה אֲשֶׁר לֹא-אֹרָשָׂה, וּתְפָשָׂהּ, וְשָׁכַב עִמָּהּ; וְנִמְצָאוּ. DEUT 22:28

וְאִם-בַּשָּׂדֶה יִמְצָא הָאִישׁ, אֶת-הַנַּעֲרָ הַמְאֹרָשָׂה, וְהֶחֱזִיק-בָּהּ הָאִישׁ, וְשָׁכַב עִמָּהּ:  וּמֵת, הָאִישׁ אֲשֶׁר-שָׁכַב עִמָּהּ--לְבַדּוֹ. DEUT 22:25
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by Nobody: 12:41am On Sep 29, 2006
Ugwumba:

If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, that is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;

The two Hebrew words used here are: 'taphas' - to lay hold & 'shakab' - to lie down with, which have been erroneously translated to 'rape' in some English translations of the OT.

The word for 'rape' used extensively and almost exclusively in the Hebrew OT is 'chazaq' - forces to lie with in DEUT 22:25 and GENE 34: 1 -7.

כִּי-יִמְצָא אִישׁ, נַעֲרָ בְתוּלָה אֲשֶׁר לֹא-אֹרָשָׂה, וּתְפָשָׂהּ, וְשָׁכַב עִמָּהּ; וְנִמְצָאוּ. DEUT 22:28

וְאִם-בַּשָּׂדֶה יִמְצָא הָאִישׁ, אֶת-הַנַּעֲרָ הַמְאֹרָשָׂה, וְהֶחֱזִיק-בָּהּ הָאִישׁ, וְשָׁכַב עִמָּהּ: וּמֵת, הָאִישׁ אֲשֶׁר-שָׁכַב עִמָּהּ--לְבַדּוֹ. DEUT 22:25

Ugwumba to the rescue and threadstarter has been disgraced. grin
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by donjazzie(m): 1:40am On Sep 29, 2006
na wah oh.
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by biomic(f): 1:41am On Sep 29, 2006
na serious wa
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by Aggressa(m): 1:51am On Sep 29, 2006
MORE THAN 2000 YEARS AGO, JESUS CHRIST MADE A PUBLIC SHOW AND DISGRACE OF THE DEVIL, TODAY, THE HOLY SPIRIT HAS MADE A PUBLIC SHOW AND DISGRACE OF THE SPIRIT OF "THE ACCUSER OF BRETHREN" THAT RESIDES IN THE STARTER OF THIS THREAD. HOWEVER, REMEMBER TO PRAY FOR HIM, BECAUSE IT IS NOT HIM ACTING BUT THE ANTI-CHRIST SPIRIT IN HIM. REMEMBER HIM IN YOUR PRAYERS, HIS NAME IS FIDAU4U,,,,,,,,,OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by leketoye(m): 9:16am On Sep 29, 2006
Ugwunmba's knowledge of the Bible has shown the light and darkness has fled. There's one lesson in this for me. I gat to study my Bible real good.
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by Coco29(f): 10:04am On Sep 29, 2006
that is not what
Ugwumba:

וְאִם-בַּשָּׂדֶה יִמְצָא הָאִישׁ, אֶת-הַנַּעֲרָ הַמְאֹרָשָׂה, וְהֶחֱזִיק-בָּהּ הָאִישׁ, וְשָׁכַב עִמָּהּ: וּמֵת, הָאִישׁ אֲשֶׁר-שָׁכַב עִמָּהּ--לְבַדּוֹ. DEUT 22:25

i try so hard not to have discussion on religion, then some thing like this come up, the bible has been translated so many different times that we have lost the true meaning of some of the words of the most high.

the meaning is, if a man and a woman were found having sex, if she was a virgin then the man should marry her, it is said to be rape because women were seen as vulnerable, not necerserally meaning the were raped.

it would be the equivilent today as having sex before marriage.
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by Seun(m): 10:11am On Sep 29, 2006
Ugwumba understands Hebrew language better than the Christians behind the NIV translation. Wow!
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by mrmayor(m): 2:47pm On Sep 29, 2006
Ugwumba,

Ugwumba:

Its interesting to hear that a passage has been mis-translated to give the wrong meaning to the writers original intention,what else has been mis-translated or misinterpreted?
I would be happy if you could be kind enough to give more examples of these errors.

Cheers
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by izoneb(f): 3:51pm On Sep 29, 2006
mrmayor do with the truth u know for now and don't go fishing errors.Goodday bro!
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by hannydarl(f): 8:51am On Nov 05, 2006
Mr Bile hater you see why unspoken girls are given in marriage to their rapist was because no other man will want to marry a raped girl in those days so to compensate her father her rapist was made to marry her. You complain as if your religion is any better probably you guys will encourage the poor girl to drink poison. Any way i believe all sex laws are made solely for guys to enjoy sex if not the plight of the poor girl would have been considered what do you expect of a society where a man wants to marry ten wives in his life time while the girl is expected to marry as a virgin to a man with four wives already. The mans job is just to make money and sleep with as many women as he want in the name of marriage men should be made to live modestly like women Thats why i like CHRIST in his world no cheating one man one wife.
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by Seun(m): 12:13pm On Nov 05, 2006
For the record I do not believe Ugwumba's "correction" of the NIV bible translation. What are his credentials?
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by Ugwumba(m): 8:13pm On Nov 05, 2006
@ Seun, here are my credentials (as you choose to call them) - some relevant, others not.

1. Apart from my over 7-years as a University teacher in Nigeria (1984 - 1991, when you were clearly a toddler), I have studied basic Aramaic and Hebrew on my own and the transliterations I have given are spot-on.
FYI, I do not claim to be the first person to have spoken on this issue, as this 'rape of virgins' issue has been discussed several times over the years on Christian websites.

2. Although I have not authored any Christian books, I have been asked to, and did write a preface to a book by a respected Nigerian Pentecostal pastor, on the Trinity. Most of this, based on my knowledge of the ancient texts of the OT.
However, giving more info on this thread will require my giving out my identity, which I treasure jealously. You may however choose to mail me directly and I will share this with you.

3. I do not lay claims to any holiness, simply knowledge of my material, be it religious (I have also read the Quran, front to back - and still own an English version), scientific (taught Theoretical Nuclear Physics at undergraduate and graduate level at ABU Zaria and Imo State Universities) or business management (you are not the only entrepreneur you know - before leaving Nigeria in 1999, I had started up an oil services firm in 1994 - 1996 with some investors).

Do not assume that all those who use your site are young (I am 44) and inexperienced  (I have over 23-years working experience, post graduation in UNIFE in 1983).

1 Like

Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by goodguy(m): 9:01pm On Nov 05, 2006
Seun:

Ugwumba understands Hebrew language better than the Christians behind the NIV translation. Wow!

And what is this supposed to mean? Because he did not add "Professor" or "Genius" to his username does not make him less intelligent than those behind the NIV translation. Or perhaps, you find it difficult to believe that a Nigerian is capable of attaining such feat of intelligence.

Seun, you seem to forget this is a public forum you created and anyone can join. Please do not underrate people simply because they are posting on your forum. Do you really think everyone that browses your forum is just "one jobless individual"?
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by segoye2(m): 1:10pm On Jan 12, 2007
@ Topic
Deuteronomy 22:28 forces the raped woman to marry her rapist. My question to the writers of the Bible is why in the world would any raped female victim want to be in the same town, not the same bedroom !! with her rapist?.

Threads are meant to be informative, educative and should be something one could make use of in his / her day to day activities, but this very one, is really trash. Work on your thoughts, bring out something that will yield positive impact, and not distruction.

Are you asking to know or asking the Author of the Holy Scripture? If I may ask you, are you a follower of Christ? if yet? Who is the Author of the Bible?

My opinion on this is you should change your topic to God encourages the Raping of Virgin Girls,

Meanwhile, stop leading people to the path of distruction.
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by Nobody: 1:48am On Jan 15, 2007
For those who do not know firdaus4them is a muslim who had been beaten black and blue on the religious threads regarding the pedophilic,physically abusive,murderous and womanizing ways of hs prophet mohammed who also raped and advocated rape of captured female slaves.
He started this thread quoting old testament to "get even".

I was waiting on him on another thread for us to compare the life and legacy of Jesus to that of Muhammad but he disappeared to Mecca and Medina.
Still searching for him.
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by oluode: 4:35pm On Jan 16, 2007
There are basically three things that you need to know. Firstly, the bible is not in support of rape. You must understand the generic use of language to correctly interprete the bible. The Word "If" is conditional as against "When". When gives the freedom to do something, while If is an eventuality. Basically, Deuteronomy 22:28 was given to correct something that was wrong among the Isreaelites. There were cases of rape in those days, and God gave that injunction that if any man rapes a woman, he would marry the woman.

Secondly, Deuteronomy 22:28 is the old testament, from which other religion evolved from. The bible clearly states that the old testament is faultyas recorded in Hebrews 8, from Verse 7 to 13 as below:

7For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.

8But God found fault with the people and said[b]:
"The time is coming, declares the Lord,
when I will make a new covenant
with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah.

9It will not be like the covenant
I made with their forefathers
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they did not remain faithful to my covenant,
and I turned away from them, declares the Lord.

10 This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.

11 No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,'
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest.

12 For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more."[c]

13 By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

The old testament did not stop men from committing their sin, it was only a temporary measure. Sin can only be conquered through Jesus Christ.

Thirdly and finally, Christians never lived during the times of Deuteronomy 22:28 or during the old testament days. Those that lived under those periods include the jews and the idol worshippers. The first set of people to be called Christians are group of disciples that gathered in Antioch, and they were so called because ever y one saw Christ in them, that is Christ like. Therefore, Christians are different, but because of what God did through His Son Jesus Christ on the cross of Calvary.

For further information, contact me through my e-mail: ayodele_82@yahoo.com
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by Pomoh: 7:48am On Jan 21, 2007
Guys stop abusing each other
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by Pomoh: 7:50am On Jan 21, 2007
Stop abusing each other.pls
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by Seun(m): 8:17am On Jan 21, 2007
The NIV translation and similar translations are created by teams of bible scholars.

No matter how knowledgeable you are, you can't claim to know more than a team of knowledgeable people like you.
Re: You Are Free To Rape Virgin Girls Says The Bible by agnesoseka: 8:52am On Mar 19, 2007
abi

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Officer Detained For Allegedly Killing Farmer In Akwa Ibom / Blood Bath In Ijebu Ode As Imam, Wife, 4 Children Assassinated / Nigeria Ranks 146th On Global Peace Index, 8th Least Peaceful In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.