Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? (4412 Views)

Body Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China, Lands In Lagos Airport / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig / Obama To Honour Ooni Ogunwusi As NYC Declares Yoruba Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Orimili(m): 9:37pm On Aug 07, 2015
Title says it all. I was born here, and never learned to speak. I'm in my late 20s and, for the past few years, I've been struggling to find resources that would help, with no results. I would ask others to help me learn, but the response usually ranges from dismisal, to general non-seriousness, to ridicule for not having mastered the language and culture at a young age.

I will not go into detail about my upbringing, because the end result is that I don't know much. I'm at the age where I should be thinking about starting a family, but I am uncomfortable with it, as I have become more aware of the rich igbo culture in which I came from in the past few years, and I want to be able to raise a family in that culture. I want to speak Igbo to my future wife and children. I want my children to have Igbo names and be proud of their heritage.

The problem is that I don't know where to start. The only cultural center I found in NYC seems to have been closed down for years now. Books I've found have only scratched the surface and do not begin to go into great depths of the many complexities of the language. Not one person I've met takes me seriously when I discuss wanting to learn.

Is there anyone, or anywhere I can go to in this city, or even within the US that can help me start on this journey?

2 Likes

Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by chudidonas(m): 9:54pm On Aug 07, 2015
It is important. Start with making Igbo friends over there. They can help
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Orimili(m): 9:59pm On Aug 07, 2015
chudidonas:

I love this idea. The question is where is a good place to start making friends? I have Igbo friends. Of those, the ones who actually do speak Igbo aren't serious about teaching me. I would ask them to speak exclusively in Igbo to me, but that's usually met with laughter and dismissal. The others, even those born and raised in Nigeria completely abandon the culture in exchange for assimilation into American culture.

2 Likes

Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by chudidonas(m): 10:03pm On Aug 07, 2015
Orimili:

I love this idea. The question is where is a good place to start making friends? I have Igbo friends. Of those, the ones who actually do speak Igbo aren't serious about teaching me. I would ask them to speak exclusively in Igbo to me, but that's usually met with laughter and dismissal. The others, even those born and raised in Nigeria completely abandon the culture in exchange for assimilation into American culture.

Is there anything like language tutor app over there for teaching languages lke spanish etc?
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Gurgle(f): 10:41pm On Aug 07, 2015
You have to save money and go back and stay in your village for a while, its the only way

1 Like

Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by chudidonas(m): 10:54pm On Aug 07, 2015
Gurgle:
You have to save money and go back and stay in your village for a while, its the only way

LOL..smh
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Gurgle(f): 10:55pm On Aug 07, 2015
chudidonas:

LOL..smh

why are you shaking your head, its true

if hes in an environment where his Americanism cant help him he will learn quickly, no?
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Orimili(m): 10:59pm On Aug 07, 2015
chudidonas:

Is there anything like language tutor app over there for teaching languages lke spanish etc?

I have an old PDF and mp3s of the FSI language course. It hasn't been updated since the 1960s, but its a start. There are apps that barely cover common Igbo phrases, and do not go any further in depth. They all lack the vast content comparable to resources that teach most European languages. If there were a good and decent set of books or apps, I would pay good money for them, but, as far as I know, they are nonexistent.
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 07, 2015
hmmm this is my problem exactly.

1 Like

Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by chudidonas(m): 11:04pm On Aug 07, 2015
Gurgle:

why are you shaking your head, its true

if hes in an environment where his Americanism cant help him he will learn quickly, no?

True.... If only one Igbo brother or sister can identify this problem and open a language school to solve the Ops need and people alike...
I see a good business opportunity
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Orimili(m): 11:05pm On Aug 07, 2015
Gurgle:

I wish I could do this, and that work would allow me an extended leave for it. Have many people tried this with success?
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Gurgle(f): 11:07pm On Aug 07, 2015
chudidonas:

True.... If only one Igbo brother or sister can identify this problem and open a language school to solve the Ops need and people alike... I see a good business opportunity

They have it where I am but im not really interested, just want to go back
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by chudidonas(m): 11:10pm On Aug 07, 2015
Gurgle:

They have it where I am but im not really interested, just want to go back

Ok, so you can't speak too?
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by chudidonas(m): 11:11pm On Aug 07, 2015
Orimili:

I have an old PDF and mp3s of the FSI language course. It hasn't been updated since the 1960s, but its a start. There are apps that barely cover common Igbo phrases, and do not go any further in depth. They all lack the vast content comparable to resources that teach most European languages. If there were a good and decent set of books or apps, I would pay good money for them, but, as far as I know, they are nonexistent.

I really wish I can help. Keep searching for a personal tutor, you will find one
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Gurgle(f): 11:12pm On Aug 07, 2015
Orimili:

I wish I could do this, and that work would allow me an extended leave for it. Have many people tried this with success?

Yeah that's the problem, you have to be there at least 6 months to settle in.

I don't know but I just think that if youre in the village and you need the bathroom, and you cant speak Igbo, people cant even understand your accent, with time you will definitely learn how to ask "where is the bathroom?" and never forget grin

Anyway there are Igbo apps you can download onto your phone

And Nollywood movies in Igbo with English subtitles. The subtitles are improving these days

what state are you from by the way?
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Gurgle(f): 11:12pm On Aug 07, 2015
chudidonas:

Ok, so you can't speak too?

No I cant. Can you?
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by chudidonas(m): 11:18pm On Aug 07, 2015
Gurgle:

No I cant. Can you?

*chuckles* Yes, fluently.
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Masterclass32: 11:21pm On Aug 07, 2015
I suggest you make Igbo friends wherever you may be. Sincerely ask them to teach you the language. Tell them you are serious. I believe you'll find at least one or two that may help out. My friend in the US actually speaks Igbo to her two boys who were actually born there. What's more? They are learning the language. She even gave them Igbo names.

When in Nigeria, you may wish to visit the east more often. Set apart periods of time when you must hold conversations with your friends in Igbo. With time you go pick up like pick-up van.
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Gurgle(f): 11:22pm On Aug 07, 2015
chudidonas:

*chuckles* Yes, fluently.

lol stop laughing, its not my fault

im guessing youre in Nig? because if your parents had given birth to you in any other place, I guarantee you wouldn't be able to speak Igbo
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by chudidonas(m): 11:26pm On Aug 07, 2015
Gurgle:

lol stop laughing, its not my fault

im guessing youre in Nig? because if your parents had given birth to you in any other place, I guarantee you wouldn't be able to speak Igbo

Lol. That's true. U made mention of returning to Nig soon. Is this lang difficulty part of thereason to the decision?
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Gurgle(f): 11:27pm On Aug 07, 2015
chudidonas:

Lol. That's true. U made mention of returning to Nig soon. Is this lang difficulty part of thereason to the decision?

Partly but mostly I need a holiday
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by bigfrancis21: 11:32pm On Aug 07, 2015
chudidonas:

Chudidonas! How far?

Does my moniker sound familiar to you? wink
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by chudidonas(m): 11:33pm On Aug 07, 2015
Gurgle:

Partly but mostly I need a holiday

Alright! We(Nig) will definitely be nice to you whenever you come down . Goodnight
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by chudidonas(m): 11:37pm On Aug 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Chudidonas! How far?

Does my moniker sound familiar to you? wink

I am good mate.. Yes, somehow familiar. Pls pm me
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by bigfrancis21: 11:39pm On Aug 07, 2015
chudidonas:

I am good mate.. Yes, somehow familiar. Pls pm me

Ok.
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Orimili(m): 11:42pm On Aug 07, 2015
Gurgle:

what state are you from by the way?

Anambra State, and thank you for the information you provided. There is a cultural center in NYC, but it seems to have been inactive for some time. I will attempt to visit again, but I don't expect the situation to be different.
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Orimili(m): 11:46pm On Aug 07, 2015
Masterclass32:
I suggest you make Igbo friends wherever you may be. Sincerely ask them to teach you the language. Tell them you are serious. I believe you'll find at least one or two that may help out. My friend in the US actually speaks Igbo to her two boys who were actually born there. What's more? They are learning the language. She even gave them Igbo names.

When in Nigeria, you may wish to visit the east more often. Set apart periods of time when you must hold conversations with your friends in Igbo. With time you go pick up like pick-up van.

Believe me, I've asked around. I will tell my igbo coworker if he has time to help. As far as visiting Nigeria, I only wish to go to the east. There is so much that I never got to learn or be exposed to.
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Gurgle(f): 12:56am On Aug 08, 2015
chudidonas:

Alright! We(Nig) will definitely be nice to you whenever you come down . Goodnight

Lol thank you Sir. and youre also welcome to the UK at any time!
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Gurgle(f): 1:04am On Aug 08, 2015
Orimili:

Anambra State, and thank you for the information you provided. There is a cultural center in NYC, but it seems to have been inactive for some time. I will attempt to visit again, but I don't expect the situation to be different.

Yeah there are a lot of you guys around grin if you recognize anybody using any Anambra state like phrases then maybe you could follow them on here and read their posts, because they cant really go 5 minutes without speaking Igbo grin

Have you got an Anambra State Union? Anyway let me check

Have you heard of any of these?

Igbo Organization of New York (718) 527 – 5659·

Igbo Community Organization of Rhode Island (ICORI)

Anambra State Association of New York

You may be able to connect with more people there. and it will be better for you since theyre your statesmen so you can pick up some words, cultural things, you know

Do you know the name of your hometown? Awka, Nnewi, Onitsha? because Anambra state people are quite numerous abroad they tend to split into their own town unions rather than the state because they have more in common with them
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Nobody: 2:23am On Aug 08, 2015
Gurgle:

Lol thank you Sir. and youre also welcome to the UK at any time!

Is this invitation extended to me as well or nah angry
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Orimili(m): 2:33am On Aug 08, 2015
Gurgle:

Yeah there are a lot of you guys around grin if you recognize anybody using any Anambra state like phrases then maybe you could follow them on here and read their posts, because they cant really go 5 minutes without speaking Igbo grin

Have you got an Anambra State Union? Anyway let me check

Have you heard of any of these?

Igbo Organization of New York (718) 527 – 5659·

Igbo Community Organization of Rhode Island (ICORI)

Anambra State Association of New York

You may be able to connect with more people there. and it will be better for you since theyre your statesmen so you can pick up some words, cultural things, you know

Do you know the name of your hometown? Awka, Nnewi, Onitsha? because Anambra state people are quite numerous abroad they tend to split into their own town unions rather than the state because they have more in common with them

The Igbo organization of New York is the closest to me, but it seems to be inactive. the phone number is also disconnected.

I'll look into the Anambra Association of New York. hopefully, that will get me somewhere.

ICORI is about 2 hours away, but I will check it as well.

My father's village is closer to Onitsha, and my mother's village is outside of Nnewi.
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Phut(f): 3:38am On Aug 08, 2015
Orimili:
Title says it all. I was born here, and never learned to speak. I'm in my late 20s and, for the past few years, I've been struggling to find resources that would help, with no results. I would ask others to help me learn, but the response usually ranges from dismisal, to general non-seriousness, to ridicule for not having mastered the language and culture at a young age.

I will not go into detail about my upbringing, because the end result is that I don't know much. I'm at the age where I should be thinking about starting a family, but I am uncomfortable with it, as I have become more aware of the rich igbo culture in which I came from in the past few years, and I want to be able to raise a family in that culture. I want to speak Igbo to my future wife and children. I want my children to have Igbo names and be proud of their heritage.

The problem is that I don't know where to start. The only cultural center I found in NYC seems to have been closed down for years now. Books I've found have only scratched the surface and do not begin to go into great depths of the many complexities of the language. Not one person I've met takes me seriously when I discuss wanting to learn.

Is there anyone, or anywhere I can go to in this city, or even within the US that can help me start on this journey?

August is chockfull for me but I could help you, starting September. I could point you to the resources that I know and you could also practice speaking with a native speaker i.e. me (via skype).

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Is The Most Beautiful Among This Ethnic Groups? (pictures) / Do You Really Need So Much To Help Your NEIGHBOUR? / ARTWORK by Artist YINKA SHONIBARE MBE on display in TRAFALGAR SQUARE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.