Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,385 members, 7,808,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Do Certificates Matter When Employing A Programmer? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Do Certificates Matter When Employing A Programmer? (1078 Views)

I Need A Programmer For My Project. / . / 15 Characteristics You Should Watch Out When Employing A Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Certificates Matter When Employing A Programmer? by larisoft: 12:04am On Aug 08, 2015
From experience; anytime a programmer fronts a lot of certificates; its a sign that he figured he would never become a good programmer; and sought to hide his incompetence in a sea of papers. Being a developer myself; i know no one can learn programming from school. But still; the Nigerian mentality is so certificate conscious that I wonder if this really affects the way coders are employed.

Please, the experiened coders in the house; has your possession or lack of a certificate aided or impeded you in securing a job in the industry?

Employers; when would you employ a developer who has no certificate but has an impressive portfolio?
Re: Do Certificates Matter When Employing A Programmer? by Raypawer(m): 12:32am On Aug 08, 2015
Brother to some extent... Imagine getting a direct job from a firm Like Exxon mobile? they will want to know how far Education wise and Past Project wise, am talking from a personal experience; but one thing is certain, what matters most is your skill cos you will still be accepted but the pay and preference may not be that high compared to the man with skills and papers! so get the skills and the papers naija or abroad! you may not be as lucky as Bill Gates!

As it is, i will employ coder without papers as far as the skill is there, but i will prefer the man with papers and skill

1 Like

Re: Do Certificates Matter When Employing A Programmer? by Fulaman198(m): 1:45am On Aug 08, 2015
I think having a degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, etc. definitely attracts more attention to you, but I wouldn't say it's the end all be all determinant of landing that dream job of yours.

1 Like

Re: Do Certificates Matter When Employing A Programmer? by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 08, 2015
Certificates do not actually matter in any area of life. What's important is the shit you can get done. But certification means validation, so most people feel 'safer' wielding certificates. Me, I would hire a programmer who doesn't even have a SSCE but knows his shit over someone who has accumulated all the certificates in the world. But that is just me.
Re: Do Certificates Matter When Employing A Programmer? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Aug 08, 2015
SirChotas:
Certificates do not actually matter in any area of life. What's important is the shit you can get done. But certification means validation, so most people feel 'safer' wielding certificates. Me, I would hire a programmer who doesn't even have a SSCE but knows his shit over someone who has accumulated all the certificates in the world. But that is just me.

poo? Lol grin
Re: Do Certificates Matter When Employing A Programmer? by larisoft: 1:50pm On Aug 08, 2015
Thanks, guys. Your answers were really informative
Re: Do Certificates Matter When Employing A Programmer? by Nobody: 8:46am On Aug 09, 2015
It's that certificate that has held me down, coy would prefer to see ur paper before they will be willing to try u out. So am gonna get me a Java professional certificate very soon.
Re: Do Certificates Matter When Employing A Programmer? by umaryusuf(m): 10:43am On Aug 09, 2015
My view is thus :
~ Freelance => skills
~ Employment => certificates

2 Likes

Re: Do Certificates Matter When Employing A Programmer? by larisoft: 4:52pm On Aug 09, 2015
Wow:: thanks guys. Very interesting
Re: Do Certificates Matter When Employing A Programmer? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Aug 12, 2015
Although skill is very important, knowing how to properly execute (client) projects to suit the requirements is just as important e.g Agile, Waterfall
Re: Do Certificates Matter When Employing A Programmer? by chim14(m): 5:47am On Aug 13, 2015
Certificate is a camouflage. The most important tin is ur Onion.

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need House Advice / A Talented Woman With A Very Inspiring Story / Network Programmers Help Is Highly Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.