Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,418 members, 7,781,219 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:48 AM

New York Vs London - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / New York Vs London (91925 Views)

Nigerian Man With Valid US Visa Arrested At JFK Airport In New York / Congratulations To Arik Air On Completing First Lagos To New York (jfk) Flight! / New York Vs London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New York Vs London by SeanT21(f): 6:22am On Mar 25, 2009
Plus,Its really diverse.Every Nationality can be found in New York!!

Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 6:24am On Mar 25, 2009
I made the mistake of comparing London with New york, maybe i should have compared london with baltimore.
Re: New York Vs London by SeanT21(f): 6:29am On Mar 25, 2009
@afam

LMAO

Re: New York Vs London by Nobody: 6:30am On Mar 25, 2009
london! ;d
Re: New York Vs London by SeanT21(f): 6:33am On Mar 25, 2009
brooklyn bridge

Re: New York Vs London by Beaumont: 8:36am On Mar 25, 2009
why did London win the right to host the 2012 Olympics

because the IOC recognised its status as the worlds global capital

Olympic voting results:
1 London grin
2 Paris
3 Madrid
4 New York embarassed
5 Moscow

these guys recognise a global superstar when they see one
Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 9:14am On Mar 25, 2009
Beaumont:

Olympic voting results:
1 London grin
2 Paris
3 Madrid
4 New York embarassed
5 Moscow

these guys recognise a global superstar when they see one

Keep quiet, when has being a global city become a yardstick for picking an olympic host.

The hosting of the event was awarded to london because it's been generations since they hosted it, mind you New york was not really interested in the hosting because they had other bordering issues, i bet that if they had been serious about it then london would not have had the slightest chance.
Re: New York Vs London by DeReloaded: 2:28pm On Mar 25, 2009
afam4eva:

Keep quiet, when has being a global city become a yardstick for picking an olympic host.

I wonder.
Re: New York Vs London by Beaumont: 2:42pm On Mar 25, 2009

The hosting of the event was awarded to london because it's been generations since they hosted it, mind you New york was not really interested in the hosting because they had other bordering issues, i bet that if they had been serious about it then london would not have had the slightest chance.
[quote][/quote]

you are SUCH a sore loser - of course new york was desperate for it , naturally they didn't stand a chance against London
Re: New York Vs London by AngieFan(f): 2:47pm On Mar 25, 2009
As I said, London gave birth to New York. So you are really comparing the original to the copy.
It is so obvious that you haven’t been to London hence the reason why you are in here running your mouth like any idiot would.

Not only is London a world class city it is also one the greenest cities in the world. New York didn’t even make the list! The last time I was in New York I could hardly breathe for the lack of trees and fresh air. I was overwhelmed by concrete every where I looked and when I tried to get some oxygen in Central Park the place was crawling with undercover gay men checking out other men.

The first underground travel network in the world was in London. London Zoo is the world’s oldest scientific zoo. London is the home of Tennis. Our ancient buildings and bridges have been standing for centuries and yet show no signs of dilapidation. If that is not a testament to our ingenuity then I don’t know what is. The first London Bridge was dismantled and reconstructed someplace in America and is still standing strong. Didn’t one of your bridges fall down the other day?

In case you didn’t know most places in New York are named after places in London or England; Greenwich, Chelsea, Hudson river named after Londoner, Henry Hudson, Queens, Albany, Hempstead, Westchester…Even New York is named after the British Duke of York the list is endless and it is the same story across America. There are even a few places called ‘London’ in the US so go figure!

New York was part of British America and one original states of America. Some dignified colonial buildings left by the British still exist but now the place is literally a concrete jungle overridden with crime and drugs with a murder rate that is one of the highest in the world. You mention skyscrapers. If you ask me sky scrapers are death traps. What happens when there is a major fire on a lower floor and you are stuck at the top? Don’t ask me, check back to see what happened on 9/11. Countless of people could have been saved but couldn’t because no one had put any thought into how to go about rescuing thousands of people from the hundredth floor of a burning sky scraper.

London will be the only city that has hosted the games three times so your claim about the game not being held there in generations is mute and grossly ignorant to say the least!
Nearly 50% of the people in New York weren’t even born there so your claim about people not getting visas easily again reeks of ignorance. Those who can’t get visas sneak in and try to etch some form of existence illegally. I doubt you have even been to New York because if you had seen Black Africans from all walks of life selling bootleg DVDs and fake designer handbags on the streets regardless of weather. And that’s just the Africans. Go down to Canal Street where every other Asian is probably illegal and dealing in fake goods. That’s desperation for you. I have yet to see that level of desperation in London.

That being said I simply adore New York but London remains the original. Read this and weep!

2 Likes

Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 5:24pm On Mar 25, 2009
AngieFan:

As I said, London gave birth to New York. So you are really comparing the original to the copy.
It is so obvious that you haven’t been to London hence the reason why you are in here running your mouth like any idiot would.

Not only is London a world class city it is also one the greenest cities in the world. New York didn’t even make the list! The last time I was in New York I could hardly breathe for the lack of trees and fresh air. I was overwhelmed by concrete every where I looked and when I tried to get some oxygen in Central Park the place was crawling with undercover gay men checking out other men.

The first underground travel network in the world was in London. London Zoo is the world’s oldest scientific zoo. London is the home of Tennis. Our ancient buildings and bridges have been standing for centuries and yet show no signs of dilapidation. If that is not a testament to our ingenuity then I don’t know what is. The first London Bridge was dismantled and reconstructed someplace in America and is still standing strong. Didn’t one of your bridges fall down the other day?

In case you didn’t know most places in New York are named after places in London or England; Greenwich, Chelsea, Hudson river named after Londoner, Henry Hudson, Queens, Albany, Hempstead, Westchester…Even New York is named after the British Duke of York the list is endless and it is the same story across America. There are even a few places called ‘London’ in the US so go figure!

New York was part of British America and one original states of America. Some dignified colonial buildings left by the British still exist but now the place is literally a concrete jungle overridden with crime and drugs with a murder rate that is one of the highest in the world. You mention skyscrapers. If you ask me sky scrapers are death traps. What happens when there is a major fire on a lower floor and you are stuck at the top? Don’t ask me, check back to see what happened on 9/11. Countless of people could have been saved but couldn’t because no one had put any thought into how to go about rescuing thousands of people from the hundredth floor of a burning sky scraper.

London will be the only city that has hosted the games three times so your claim about the game not being held there in generations is mute and grossly ignorant to say the least!
Nearly 50% of the people in New York weren’t even born there so your claim about people not getting visas easily again reeks of ignorance. Those who can’t get visas sneak in and try to etch some form of existence illegally. I doubt you have even been to New York because if you had seen Black Africans from all walks of life selling bootleg DVDs and fake designer handbags on the streets regardless of weather. And that’s just the Africans. Go down to Canal Street where every other Asian is probably illegal and dealing in fake goods. That’s desperation for you. I have yet to see that level of desperation in London.

That being said I simply adore New York but London remains the original. Read this and weep!

You spit all this rubbish just to state the obvious that london is an acient city, that it existed b4 New york. That's the excuse the british have been using to cover up for their laziness. When other cities are looking for ways to meet up with challenges of the computer age they are busy making noise about how traditional their buildings are and all what not.
Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 5:26pm On Mar 25, 2009
Beaumont:

So do u classify St Louis that once hosted the olympics a global city, guy u're sick just like london.
Re: New York Vs London by Beaumont: 6:05pm On Mar 25, 2009
WOW - what is your problem?

why are u dissing London - its the most modern city in the world. The London Eye, The Gherkin, Millenium Bridge all less than 10 years old. cool

But you probably haven't even heard of these as you are so ignorant.

Congratulations on your research of former Olympic cities by the way  undecided
Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 6:30pm On Mar 25, 2009
Beaumont:

WOW - what is your problem?

why are u dissing London - its the most modern city in the world. The London Eye, The Gherkin, Millenium Bridge all less than 10 years old. cool

But you probably haven't even heard of these as you are so ignorant.

Congratulations on your research of former Olympic cities by the way  undecided

I'm not dissing london, i'm just stating facts.

You're even further insulting london by naming "The London Eye, The Gherkin, Millenium Bridge". Are those the only tourist attractions u have in london?
Re: New York Vs London by DisGuy: 7:29pm On Mar 25, 2009
afam4eva:

I'm not dissing london, i'm just stating facts.

You're even further insulting london by naming "The London Eye, The Gherkin, Millenium Bridge". Are those the only tourist attractions u have in london?

apart from the the tall lifeless buildings you've been talking about, you haven't listed the tourist attractions yourself tongue
there are tourist attractions all over London everyone knows about them with extremely rich history
Re: New York Vs London by SeanT21(f): 8:34pm On Mar 25, 2009
Dis Guy:

apart from the the tall lifeless buildings you've been talking about, you haven't listed the tourist attractions yourself tongue
there are tourist attractions all over London everyone knows about them with extremely rich history

Where can I start,

The empire state building
Museum of Sex
Central Park Zoo
Mars 2112
Central Park
Statue of liberty
Grand Central Terminal
Rockefeller Center
Staten Island Ferry
American Museum of Natural History
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Federal Reserve Bank of New York
Times Square
Broadway
Ellis Island
The Museum of Modern Art - MoMA
Re: New York Vs London by smile4kenn(m): 9:19pm On Mar 25, 2009
In terms of more developed city, tokyo rules,
Re: New York Vs London by AngieFan(f): 12:01am On Mar 26, 2009
@Afam

Yes London is an ancient city which blends the new with the old extremely well.  New Yorkers wish they had ancient buildings like Westminster Abbey. St Paul's Cathedral and The Tower of London

Attractions in London are plenty and more than enough to entertain the tens of millions that visit our 'small' city every year. grin You bleating on about the obvious ones again only highlights your severe foolishness tremendously. grin grin grin

London Tourist attractions.

London Zoo- World's oldest scientific zoo
Kew Gardens - One of the world's oldest and largest botanical gardens.
Wimbledon- The oldest and most respected Tennis tournament in the world.
The Science Museum which holds over 300,000 items including the world's first jet engine, invented by a Londoner.
London Dungeon
The ORIGINAL Madame Tussauds- All the other's around the world are copies with ours being set up in 1836 by Marie Tussaud herself. cool
London Planetarium
London Aquarium
Tower Bridge
World famous London Bridge - Every body sing a long now, 'London Bridge is falling down, '
Westminster Abbey
Buckingham Palace
Imperial War Museum
Sherlock Holmes Museum
Tower of London built in 1076
The London Transport Museum-Find out about the beginnings of one of the earliest public transport systems in the world and of course the world's first subway system.
Trafalgar Square
Shakespear's Globe theatre home of Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth etc
East Street Market- Birthplace and home of funny man Charlie Chaplin.
Millennium Bridge
Harrod's - ties with Macy's NY as the world's largest department store.
St Paul's Cathedral.
The Tate Modern
London's theatreland which has more theatre locations than the whole of New York, including Broadway.If you love the theatre then live musical shows like Mary Poppins, Oliver Twist, Mama Mia, Dirty Dancing, Thriller, Joseph and The Lion King with original music by Londoner's Sir Elton John and Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber plus many more will keep entertained consistently.
The O2 Centre, which is a world class concert venue and seats 20,000. The one and only Michael Jackson will take up residency there from July 2009 to Feb 2010 grin grin grin grin grin grin.

The list is endless with plenty of shopping, fashion, restaurants and foods from every corner of the globe, live music and shows. But of course you and your cohorts wouldn't know that seen as you are only familiar with Peckham and the illegal Nigerians that congregate there in their make believe 'Lagos' they have created there. grin

London as small as it is compared to New York and other major cities around the world stands very tall indeed.

Re: New York Vs London by shotster50(m): 7:51am On Mar 26, 2009
@ Afam,

You cant call other peoples' opinion rubbish simply because they refuse to see things through your perspective. I have gone through the arguements on both sides . Like you stated, you havent even been to London yet but you have already drawn up a conclusion on how it is supposed to be,  I think that logic is flawed because you need to know the two cities to make comparisons.

1 Like

Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 8:16am On Mar 26, 2009
more pics of new york

Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 9:05am On Mar 26, 2009
New York(the city that never sleeps)

Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 9:09am On Mar 26, 2009
new york

Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 9:24am On Mar 26, 2009
This New york is too good to be true

Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 9:30am On Mar 26, 2009
I love new york

Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 9:47am On Mar 26, 2009
More New york Pics

Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 10:17am On Mar 26, 2009
Even MORE!!!

Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 10:22am On Mar 26, 2009
and more

Re: New York Vs London by Nobody: 10:36am On Mar 26, 2009
@poster
Have you been to both London and New York before?
Re: New York Vs London by AngieFan(f): 11:34am On Mar 26, 2009
lol!

The pics of NY are amazing!

Here are some more pics of the fabulous architecture and character that exemplifies London.

Re: New York Vs London by AngieFan(f): 12:30pm On Mar 26, 2009
World heritage sites in 'little' London. New York only has one (Statue of Liberty) by the way, as big as the city is grin

Kew Gardens

Westminster Abbey

Tower of London

Greenwich Maritime

Re: New York Vs London by vanitty: 5:10pm On Mar 26, 2009
Based on beauty and the best place for a tourist to visit alone . . London wins

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Think Well Before You ‘Japa’ — Nigerian Man Shows Homeless People In US (Video) / The Best Bridge And The Best Flyover In Nigeria. PICTURES... / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.