Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,812 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips (36994 Views)

Open Letter To Second Class And Third Class Graduates / A Third-class Graduate Now Turning Down Job Offers From Multinationals / Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by LaurelP(m): 9:39am On Aug 08, 2015
Ramos16:
So far, am the only one in my family with a 2:1, my other siblings have 2:2, but they are all working and doing very very well, when I saw the other post asking if there is hope for 2:2 and pass, I ignored it because I felt the person just wanted to create his own thread.

I have never looked as 2:2 or pass as a problem at all, I do not even know why people complain, if you attended a school like Ahmadu Bello University, then you will know that 2:2 is really a first class in disguise, as a matter of fact for Biochem graduates, Pass is glorious.

U have sense bros..
It all depends on the school u got the 2:2
If u made a 2:2 from UNN, my brother u tried!

3 Likes

Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by missKiffy(f): 9:39am On Aug 08, 2015
Nonybb:
This Op is clueless. Whether 2.1 oOO, 2.2 oOOO, 3.1 oOOO, 4.1 ooOOO, 5.1 ooOOO OR 6.1 oooOO na God grace and na Godwin!. I know a guy working in NLNG Oil and Gas bonny Island and he is 3rd Class. Op na Godwin and not him!
Did u read the post? You are saying the same thing the op said
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by cmax16: 9:39am On Aug 08, 2015
PDPwayoo:

Bill gate didn't have 2.2

First class will not make Nigerian to Invent reasonable thing neither will first class make our so called engineers to fix their own cars.
First class engineers will not stop patronizing road side illiterate mechanic.

Standard of education in Nigeria is zero irrespective of the grade.

This made me laugh, but yet so true.
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Hidentity(m): 9:40am On Aug 08, 2015
This is one of the most practical and intellectually engaging piece here. I also suggest that people should improve their orison through constant research. You may be a linguist, but nothing precludes you from reading on Occupational utility of labour, Lina Medina, Laws of Thermodynamics etc.

Learn a language (foreign or local)
Learn to play a musical instrument
Invest, no matter how little
If you can, learn chess
Be vast in the knowledge of your religion books I.e Bible or Quran
Develop a good personality, you don't have to need favour before you put up a smile. People don't have to be around before you do good.
On social media, watch your remarks and how you comment on issues
Avoid pseudo names on your Facebook page, it might be the avenue through which you will be contacted for something.
Avoid relationships that would wear you off psychologically- when you build yourself, all things will fall through.
Be known for something outside your field. You are an accountant, Yes... But think about an accountant that plays saxophone or writes poems. That is a plus.

Finally, success is one of the cheapest commodities you can get in the market of life as long as you have the right negotiating skills.

All the best.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by elgizzyuplifted(m): 9:40am On Aug 08, 2015
Na Dem dey blow pass sef
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by rozayx5(m): 9:41am On Aug 08, 2015
rubbish

all this for pennies called jobs

better go find something useful to do undecided

your mates are taking the world. your looking for job undecided

keep dreaming oil company . dont go an get a valuable skill

keep searching you go tire
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Femistico(m): 9:44am On Aug 08, 2015
Good write ups

I knew u've really helped some alot
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Certifiedkomo: 9:46am On Aug 08, 2015
Okay.
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by samdon12(m): 9:50am On Aug 08, 2015
This piece struck me, I love it. Op you are so on point
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Etizz: 9:58am On Aug 08, 2015
The way some people take dey rate d 2.2 eh... He be like say nor be result, me wit my 2.2 I dey receive something at d end of d month, even some 2.1 don't get what I get at d end of d month, trust me wen I say it's God favour and personal effort.

3 Likes

Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Icon4s(m): 9:59am On Aug 08, 2015
The Op has said d obvious facts. But how many of the so called 2:2, 3:1 & pass graduates can tow that path? The attitude dey put in while in school will still over shadow their sense of reasoning.

1 Like

Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Etizz: 10:02am On Aug 08, 2015
The way some people take dey rate d 2.2 eh... He be like say nor be result, me wit my 2.2 I dey receive something at d end of d month, even some 2.1 don't get what I get at d end of d month, trust me wen I say it's God favour and personal effort. So there is always hope.
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by kenoz(m): 10:05am On Aug 08, 2015
Nice
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Dkemirate4: 10:09am On Aug 08, 2015
Nnaeb:
I intended to share this on this platform at a later date but, the thread I saw yesterday prompted me to do this now. I feel very deep inside of me that I have a solution to someone’s challenge. It mustn’t be everybody.

The thread was asking if there is any hope for a 2.2, third class and pass graduate in the Nigerian labor market.

The answer is an emphatic YES. There is hope, opportunity and there is grace for them. As a matter of fact I know a handful of persons that have good jobs (not business) without a degree. So what are you saying? The truth is that it does not guarantee to be an easy ride, but I sure guarantee you that you will find it interesting and adventurous. It will be an experience and a discovery of the ability that God embedded in you.

You have to understand that Failure is the best backdrop upon which success is painted. No one should make you fill you have not gotten a job because of your ‘poor’ grade in school. No. there are still quite a number of first class and 2.1 students roaming the streets searching for jobs. So many factors contributes to this unemployment rate. Top most of them all is the fact that the jobs are scarce to an extent, then secondly, a high percentage of our graduates has learnt absolutely nothing.

I conduct interviews on a monthly basis, so I can confidently tell you this. The essence of the 2.1 benchmark recruiters or employers place on job adverts is just to reduce traffic and make their job a bit easier. Nobody is blown away by your grade during the interview, it is not even up for discussion. That is why at the end of the day, the best candidate is taken from amongst them and the rest goes home. So below are 5 difficult steps to land your dream job as a 2.2 and third class grad.

1. Decide on the kind of job you want

I understand there could be numerous justifiable and funny reasons why you couldn’t make first class or 2.2. Probably you lost interest in your course of study and did not give it your best shot. It could also be that you gave it your best shot, but your efforts were frustrated by your ‘wicked lecturers’ or by some ancestral or village deity (lol).

For some others you were just clueless and careless in your first year in school, but by the time you sat up in subsequent years, the damage has been done already and you really wished you can turn the hands of time. For some folks even, you deserve not to even succeed in life considering the way you conducted yourself on campus that landed you here. But whatever is your own story, just put that behind you and take a decision. Life has never been fair. Life does not give people what they deserve but what they demand for. Decide on the kind of job you want and attract it. This life you see is more spiritual than it is physical.

2. Enlarge your capacity

What can you do? You must be able to answer this million dollar question. Your answer to this question in the face of opportunity could be the game changer for you. You know your grade is poor already. So you just don’t have something to prove but everything. Right now you don’t have a choice but to be the best at something. Acquire a skill that is relevant in your job choice. Get a professional certification (forget about masters for now), work on your communication skill and professional poise, work on your personal branding. Image and perception is everything. Exude the confidence and aura of a Harvard MBA grad.

3. Don’t apply for advertised jobs

Don’t wait for a vacancy to be advertised before you apply for a job. It limits your chances. As a matter of fact some of the adverts has already place a 2.1 benchmark on the qualification. So what do you do? Even when there is not bench mark, the recruiting firm or HR has a lot of 1.1 and 2.1 CVs to contend with. So yours won’t get anybody’s attention. So you don’t have to be applying for advertised jobs. God gave us the ability to create. Where there is no vacancy, you can create one. How? See no. 4

4. Proposals not CVs

Improve your business writing skills. Learn how to write proposals because that is what you will be needing, not CV. Start selling yourself and the value you can bring to the system. The private sector is result and productivity driven. Do a convincing proposal to the company, stating how you can contribute in improving either their bottom line, accountability, security, maintenance and operations, image, communication and market expansion. This is what consultants do and most of them don’t do anything special. Do a good proposal and attach your CV to it.

5. Networking

Start building a strong network. No matter the grade you graduated with, a strong network can help you land your job. Like I said in my last article, one good contact is worth more than a hundred CVs submitted at random. Seek to meet with Business owners, by pass Recruitment agencies and HR. build relationships with people that have decision making ability. They are in your churches. You can meet them in clubs. Just focus on building strategic relationship with industry executives. Do things for people without being paid. Volunteer to serve on different platforms where your ingenuity will be felt. Don’t be in a hurry to brandish your CV or inundate people with calls because you are looking for a job. Employers are interested in what you can do and what you have the potential of achieving. By pass the long queue and seek for employer’s attention.

Like I said, you don’t just have hope. You have grace.

Nice say

http://jobtrends.com.ng/job-hunting-tips-for-2-2-and-third-class-job-seekers/
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 08, 2015
Ramos16:
So far, am the only one in my family with a 2:1, my other siblings have 2:2, but they are all working and doing very very well, when I saw the other post asking if there is hope for 2:2 and pass, I ignored it because I felt the person just wanted to create his own thread.

I have never looked as 2:2 or pass as a problem at all, I do not even know why people complain, if you attended a school like Ahmadu Bello University, then you will know that 2:2 is really a first class in disguise, as a matter of fact for Biochem graduates, Pass is glorious.
yes...2.2 is really first class in disguise in some dept in some schools.... chemistry dept @ eksu (unad) is hell...I mean hell

1 Like

Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Nobody: 10:21am On Aug 08, 2015
Icon4s:
The Op has said d obvious facts. But how many of the so called 2:2, 3:1 & pass graduates can tow that path? The attitude dey put in while in school will still over shadow their sense of reasoning.
which attitude are u talking abt? I hope u dont mean every 2.2 or 3rd class grad was unserious as an undergraduate?
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 08, 2015
OP .. I do not agree with you.
I know one certificateful person, Prof. Yemi Osibanjo serving under a certificateless person, Pres. Muhammadu Buhari....that aside.
I even have 3 friends who made 2.3, 3.3, 6.3 and are gainfully employed.
Its God's grace that is NEEDED.

1 Like

Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by saipn: 10:23am On Aug 08, 2015
Hope kee?i thought it has already been finalized on nairaland that only 2;1 graduates and first class can get a job in nigeria?the remaining grades can go into farming or start a businesssss
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Icon4s(m): 10:31am On Aug 08, 2015
justified19:
which attitude are u talking abt? I hope u dont mean every 2.2 or 3rd class grad was unserious as an undergraduate?

YES! 90% of 2:2 & 3:1 graduates had d wrong attitude which was largely responsible for d result they got. I went through d school system I know what I am talking abt. Most of them laziness and non-challancy did nt make dem prapare adequately for tests & exams.

Some will come here & start blaming lecturers. U have 8-10 semesters to prove ur self and u couldnt. I know how i was personally tounted by my mates for being too serious in school. There was no form of names they didnt call me. Well, i got d result i wanted and thank God for where I am today.

U cannot sow ground-nuts and expect to reap yams.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by UnimkeAk(m): 10:37am On Aug 08, 2015
A thread where 2.2 peeps come to masturbate grin

3rd class ' aint nobody got time for that tongue

Lol

If you need validation frm somebody b4 u tink u can be successful ; then success isn't 4 u.

2.1, 2.2 they are no jobs pple.

I hv plenty smart 2.1 frnds witout jobs.

Networking is key if u like call it connections that's ur own
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by uboneak: 10:41am On Aug 08, 2015
Though writing from a different environment, I graduated last year with 3rd class from a UK uni and got a job in a multinational pharmaceuticals here in UK just abt 4 months after graduation. Within dis period, i had abt 10 interviews..and still had 2 that i cancelled after securing the job. Thing is i learnt from every failed interview. My 1st/2:1 mates were struggling to even get 1 interview. I always say if you dont get an interview, its probably not your fault because ders damm too many people and your chances are like 0.1%. But if you get to an interview and you dont make it, then its your fault. For whatever reasons, you just missed an 80% chance to showcase amongst the very few choosen. My secret? I looked at the job description/key responsibilities and knew what I had matching exactly what they need(even if not in full, I made it look full on a well written 3/4 page cover letter). I made them want to hear more from me. My cover letter ended like "realising the limitations of a written page, I would welcome an interview opportunity with you so I can discuss in more details how I meet your person specification". I also deliberately removed my grade from my CV (you know why). On the interview, the hiring manager was basically looking for sum1 with good communications skills, attention to details, team player. I worked at a call centre part time while in uni hence I wasnt short of examples. I explained at de interview that communication is not only ability to write/speak good english. You need to be in constant touch with your manager/team on any progress/setbacks. In terms of attention to details, I had an internship yr in a hospital doing abt 30% role similarity with the vacancy (I think its 5months in Naija..and I encourage undergraduates to make it a MUST to secure an internship place). I gave them examples of my daily task where my attention to details where constantly on guard (any flip na to inject wrong drug for patient be that ohh). I even went further to mention the trouble(s) I found myself in when I failed to pay attention to details during my internship and how I learnt/recovered from them (offcourse no one is perfect and you need to demonstrate that part of you. Be careful, dont expose too much). Some damages are manageable..and can be understood..not the types that soil the company's or your reputation. And after a week of interviewing other candidates, gbam, I was called and offered the job(along with a work visa). Some of my naija 1st class and 2:1 mates returned home or went on to masters or are still hunting (in frustration). Some sent me thier CV's to tweek it for them. Theres a thin line between being smart and intelligent fellas. Maximise your smart potentials and you will make it. Look around the top nocths(sp) around you and you will see its the simple truth.

6 Likes

Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Icon4s(m): 10:41am On Aug 08, 2015
Fairgodwin:
Interesting. I really love this.
Though I've never at any point in my life placed emphasis on [my] certificate or degree, because I have always seen so many opportunities in so many other places and sectors apart from the 'corporate world' or 'offices.' It is just all about embracing these 'opportunities.'
Yes, I was able to win a few awards as well as competitions in the academic world, and even most of my course mates see me as one of the best students in not just my department, but my school - they even think I would be graduating (this year) with either a First Class or nothing less than a 2.1 (though I know I am likely to be graduating with a 2.2), but I've never allowed (for once) the thought of getting a job with my certificate bother me. I have other plans and other dreams.
So what is my point, exactly? I am telling you, yes you; that whether you graduate with a 2.2 or Third Class, HAVE OTHER PLANS AND OTHER DREAMS! YOU MUSTN'T GET A JOB WITH YOUR CERTIFICATE! Your going to school isn't all about a job! Delve into other things, and I assure you, the sky would be at your toe!
I, Otis, humbly rest my case!

Ok u have nt graduated yet. Wait until u graduate & face realities of life before u can advice on this pls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Nobody: 10:43am On Aug 08, 2015
Icon4s:

YES! 90% of 2:2 & 3:1 graduates had d wrong attitude which was largely responsible for d result they got. I went through d school system I know what I am talking abt. Most of them laziness and non-challancy did nt make dem prapare adequately for tests & exams.

Some will come here & start blaming lecturers. U have 8-10 semesters to prove ur self and u couldnt. I know how i was personally tounted by my mates for being too serious in school. There was no form of names they didnt call me. Well, i got d result i wanted and thank God for where I am today.

U cannot sow ground-nuts and expect to reap yams.
ur opinion but I accept not.

all I knw is education in nigeria is crazy, especially in state universities.. I cant judge any graduate based on grades...dia are so many 2.1 candidates who cant eve defend it.

I judge on what u can offer, not what u grad with.

2 Likes

Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Icon4s(m): 10:45am On Aug 08, 2015
justified19:
yes...2.2 is really first class in disguise in some dept in some schools.... chemistry dept @ eksu (unad) is hell...I mean hell

Hu cares abt whether Chemistry in eksu or whatever is hell. Write that on ur CV if u want.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by chuklesley02(m): 10:47am On Aug 08, 2015
[quote author=Nnaeb post=36727911]I intended to share this on this platform at a later date but, the thread I saw yesterday prompted me to do this now. I feel very deep inside of me that I have a solution to someone’s challenge. It mustn’t be everybody.

The thread was asking if there is any hope for a 2.2, third class and pass graduate in the Nigerian labor market.

The answer is an emphatic YES. There is hope, opportunity and there is grace for them. As a matter of fact I know a handful of persons that have good jobs (not business) without a degree. So what are you saying? The truth is that it does not guarantee to be an easy ride, but I sure guarantee you that you will find it interesting and adventurous. It will be an experience and a discovery of the ability that God embedded in you.

You have to understand that Failure is the best backdrop upon which success is painted. No one should make you fill you have not gotten a job because of your ‘poor’ grade in school. No. there are still quite a number of first class and 2.1 students roaming the streets searching for jobs. So many factors contributes to this unemployment rate. Top most of them all is the fact that the jobs are scarce to an extent, then secondly, a high percentage of our graduates has learnt absolutely nothing.

I conduct interviews on a monthly basis, so I can confidently tell you this. The essence of the 2.1 benchmark recruiters or employers place on job adverts is just to reduce traffic and make their job a bit easier. Nobody is blown away by your grade during the interview, it is not even up for discussion. That is why at the end of the day, the best candidate is taken from amongst them and the rest goes home. So below are 5 difficult steps to land your dream job as a 2.2 and third class grad.

1. Decide on the kind of job you want

I understand there could be numerous justifiable and funny reasons why you couldn’t make first class or 2.2. Probably you lost interest in your course of study and did not give it your best shot. It could also be that you gave it your best shot, but your efforts were frustrated by your ‘wicked lecturers’ or by some ancestral or village deity (lol).

For some others you were just clueless and careless in your first year in school, but by the time you sat up in subsequent years, the damage has been done already and you really wished you can turn the hands of time. For some folks even, you deserve not to even succeed in life considering the way you conducted yourself on campus that landed you here. But whatever is your own story, just put that behind you and take a decision. Life has never been fair. Life does not give people what they deserve but what they demand for. Decide on the kind of job you want and attract it. This life you see is more spiritual than it is physical.

2. Enlarge your capacity

What can you do? You must be able to answer this million dollar question. Your answer to this question in the face of opportunity could be the game changer for you. You know your grade is poor already. So you just don’t have something to prove but everything. Right now you don’t have a choice but to be the best at something. Acquire a skill that is relevant in your job choice. Get a professional certification (forget about masters for now), work on your communication skill and professional poise, work on your personal branding. Image and perception is everything. Exude the confidence and aura of a Harvard MBA grad.

3. Don’t apply for advertised jobs

Don’t wait for a vacancy to be advertised before you apply for a job. It limits your chances. As a matter of fact some of the adverts has already place a 2.1 benchmark on the qualification. So what do you do? Even when there is not bench mark, the recruiting firm or HR has a lot of 1.1 and 2.1 CVs to contend with. So yours won’t get anybody’s attention. So you don’t have to be applying for advertised jobs. God gave us the ability to create. Where there is no vacancy, you can create one. How? See no. 4

4. Proposals not CVs

Improve your business writing skills. Learn how to write proposals because that is what you will be needing, not CV. Start selling yourself and the value you can bring to the system. The private sector is result and productivity driven. Do a convincing proposal to the company, stating how you can contribute in improving either their bottom line, accountability, security, maintenance and operations, image, communication and market expansion. This is what consultants do and most of them don’t do anything special. Do a good proposal and attach your CV to it.

5. Networking

Start building a strong network. No matter the grade you graduated with, a strong network can help you land your job. Like I said in my last article, one good contact is worth more than a hundred CVs submitted at random. Seek to meet with Business owners, by pass Recruitment agencies and HR. build relationships with people that have decision making ability. They are in your churches. You can meet them in clubs. Just focus on building strategic relationship with industry executives. Do things for people without being paid. Volunteer to serve on different platforms where your ingenuity will be felt. Don’t be in a hurry to brandish your CV or inundate people with calls because you are looking for a job. Employers are interested in what you can do and what you have the potential of achieving. By pass the long queue and seek for employer’s attention.

Like I said, you don’t just have hope. You have grace.

http://jobtrends.com.ng/job-hunting-tips-for-2-2-and-third-class-job-seekers/[/quote Nice write-up had to read it again n again n again.
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Icon4s(m): 10:50am On Aug 08, 2015
justified19:
ur opinion but I accept not.

all I knw is education in nigeria is crazy, especially in state universities.. I cant judge any graduate based on grades...dia are so many 2.1 candidates who cant eve defend it.

I judge on what u can offer, not what u grad with.

jst like there are too numerous 2:2 graduates that dnt even know what their courses are all abt. Do u know that it is 2:2 graduates dat cheated and sorted most in school?

The op has said d obvious facts.If u know u graduated with 2:2 u better commit to thing ge said to work. The 2:1 & 1:1 graduates are taking most of d advertised jobs.
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Nobody: 10:54am On Aug 08, 2015
Icon4s:

U cares abt whether Chemistry in eksu or whatever is hell. Write that on ur CV if u want.
it is not just wat u write on ur CV dat gives u d job....it is what u can offer d company dat ur employer is looking for..
y do we av plenty of 2.1 graduates who still roam d street without a job. if u like grad wit 1:1 or 1/2:1, if u av nothing to offer u are OYO
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Nobody: 10:58am On Aug 08, 2015
Icon4s:

jst like there are too numerous 2:2 graduates that dnt even know what their courses are all abt. Do u know that it is 2:2 graduates dat cheated and sorted most in school?

The op has said d obvious facts.If u know u graduated with 2:2 u better commit to thing ge said to work. The 2:1 & 1:1 graduates are taking most of d advertised jobs.
I have a frnd dat graduated with 2:1...he has attended more dan 50 interviews dis yr alone...still jobless.
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Icon4s(m): 10:59am On Aug 08, 2015
justified19:
it is not just wat u write on ur CV dat gives u d job....it is what u can offer d company dat ur employer is looking for..
y do we av plenty of 2.1 graduates who still roam d street without a job. if u like grad wit 1:1 or 1/2:1, if u av nothing to offer u are OYO

U need to get that 2:1 or 1:1 first before they will even consider looking at what u have in that CV.
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by chuklesley02(m): 10:59am On Aug 08, 2015
uboneak:
Though writing from a different environment, I graduated last year with 3rd class from a UK uni and got a job in a multinational pharmaceuticals here in UK just abt 4 months after graduation. Within dis period, i had abt 10 interviews..and still had 2 that i cancelled after securing the job. Thing is i learnt from every failed interview. My 1st/2:1 mates were struggling to even get 1 interview. I always say if you get get an interview, its probably not your fault because ders damm too many people and your chances are like 0.1%. But if you get to an interview and you dont make it, then its your fault. For whatever reasons, you just missed an 80% chance to showcase amongst the very few choosen. My secret? I looked at the job description/key responsibilities and knew what I had matching exactly what they need(even if not in full, I made it look full on a well written 3/4 page cover letter). I made them want to hear more from me. My cover letter ended like "realising the limitations of a written page, I would welcome an interview opportunity with you so I can discuss in more details how I meet your person specification". I also deliberately removed my grade from my CV (you know why). On the interview, the hiring manager was basically looking for sum1 with good communications skills, attention to details, team player. I worked at a call centre part time while in uni hence I wasnt short of examples. I explained at de interview that communication is not only ability to write/speak good english. You need to be in constant touch with your manager/team on any progress/setbacks. In terms of attention to details, I had an internship yr in a hospital doing abt 30% role similarity with the vacancy (I think its 5months in Naija..and I encourage undergraduates to make it a MUST to secure an internship place). I gave them examples of my daily task where my attention to details where constantly on guard (any flip na to inject wrong drug for patient be that ohh). I even went further to mention the trouble(s) I found myself in when I failed to pay attention to details during my internship and how I learnt/recovered from them (offcourse no one is perfect and you need to demonstrate that part of you. Be careful, dont expose too much). Some damages are manageable..and can be understood..not the types that send that soil the company's or your reputation. And after a week of interviewing other candidates, gbam, I was called and offered the job(along with a work visa). Some of my naija 1st class and 2:1 mates returned home or went on to masters or are still hunting (in frustration). Some sent me thier CV's to tweek it for them. Theres a thin line between being smart and intelligent fellas. Maximise your smart potentials and you will make it. Look around the top nocths(sp) around you and you will see its the simple truth.
Guy nice 1, pls reach me on vaLchuks02@gmail.com. I will appreciate it
Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Icon4s(m): 11:00am On Aug 08, 2015
justified19:
I have a frnd dat graduated with 2:1...he has attended more dan 50 interviews dis yr alone...still jobless.
I know over 50 pple that graduated with 2:2 that were jobless for over 3yrs. Some eveb till now.

Atleast dat ur friend had 50chances to prove himself bt 2:2 graduates hardly have up to 1/10th of such chances.Coupled with d fact dat they fall under d popular free for all category.

1 Like

Re: YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips by Kazrem(m): 11:03am On Aug 08, 2015
My best line: Where there is no vacancy, you
can create one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Army Recruitment Shortlist: What I Noticed. / Jobberman's 2013 - 100 Best Companies To Work For In Nigeria. / 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.