Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,275 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:44 AM

What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? (5101 Views)

Ecclesiastes 9:11 / What Does It Mean That Our Sins Are Washed Away? / How Is Jesus' Death A Sacrifice If He Rose From The Dead ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:15am On Aug 09, 2015
What does it mean that the dead know nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)?
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by sunkoye: 12:41am On Aug 09, 2015
More like limbo. undecided
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Nobody: 7:43am On Aug 09, 2015
They are unconscious.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by taiwo850629: 9:07am On Aug 09, 2015
It means that the body of the person is lifeless. The person (the spirit) has gone out of the body. It means the medium through which the person interacts with the physical world is dead. A dead body knows nothing in contrast to a live body (brain) that knows things. It simply means a dead body knows nothing. The body is dead without the spirit.
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by dolphinheart(m): 7:55pm On Aug 09, 2015
taiwo850629:
It means that the body of the person is lifeless. The person (the spirit) has gone out of the body. It means the medium through which the person interacts with the physical world is dead. A dead body knows nothing in contrast to a live body (brain) that knows things. It simply means a dead body knows nothing. The body is dead without the spirit.

The bible does not support ur explanation. The verse did not mention "body". The verse let's us know that that person knows nothing . He does not know Whatever happens to him after death. Verse ten says "the place to which YOU are going, it did not say "ur body".

In case u feel man is a spirit housed in a body , pls answer the following questions.
Where in the bible is it said that the spirit goes to hell?.
When did your spirit enter ur body?
Where is the spirit when a man is in coma. ?

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 10, 2015
dolphinheart:

The bible does not support ur explanation. The verse did not mention "body". The verse let's us know that that person knows nothing . He does not know Whatever happens to him after death. Verse ten says "the place to which YOU are going, it did not say "ur body".

In case u feel man is a spirit housed in a body , pls answer the following questions.
Where in the bible is it said that the spirit goes to hell?.
When did your spirit enter ur body?
Where is the spirit when a man is in coma. ?

The spirit goes to coma. Lol.

How things bros? Hope u enjoy d jw broadcast?
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by dolphinheart(m): 5:36pm On Aug 10, 2015
JMAN05:

The spirit goes to coma. Lol.

How things bros? Hope u enjoy d jw broadcast?

For some genuine reasons Bro, I've not been able to attend congregational meetings in years . Got a CD from my cousin at bethel but I've not been able to watch it yet, my DVD can't play the format, trying to find a way out .

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:35pm On Aug 10, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten" (Ecclesiastes 9:5).

I've quoted the biblical reference for the OP's question for the benefit of those who would not, cannot and could not be bothered to look up the passage in the Bible. wink
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 11, 2015
dolphinheart:

For some genuine reasons Bro, I've not been able to attend congregational meetings in years . Got a CD from my cousin at bethel but I've not been able to watch it yet, my DVD can't play the format, trying to find a way out .

OK, let's talk thru mail if u don't mind.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by dolphinheart(m): 6:20pm On Aug 11, 2015
JMAN05:

OK, let's talk thru mail if u don't mind.
Nop, I dnt mind

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 11, 2015
dolphinheart:

Nop, I dnt mind

I sent u a mail. U saw it?
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by dolphinheart(m): 6:41pm On Aug 11, 2015
JMAN05:

I sent u a mail. U saw it?

Saw a mail from nairaland stating that you want to send me an email. I replied , but I have not seen any other after that
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Aug 12, 2015
dolphinheart:

Saw a mail from nairaland stating that you want to send me an email. I replied , but I have not seen any other after that

Have u not seen it yet?
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by dolphinheart(m): 3:49pm On Aug 12, 2015
JMAN05:

Have u not seen it yet?
Not sure yet, will confirm from the reply
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by dolphinheart(m): 3:49pm On Aug 12, 2015
JMAN05:

Have u not seen it yet?
Not sure yet, will confirm from the reply
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by CAPTIVATOR: 5:27pm On Aug 12, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

The dead know nothing , dead are dead

" They are dead; they will not live " - Isa 26:14

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by orisa37: 5:54pm On Aug 12, 2015
Reference to Lazarus in Abraham's bossom and the Richman in hell beggining for a drop of water, was a discussion of the spirits in Heaven. The Richman's spirit then asked father Abraham's spirit to send prophet to the earth to recover his relations. Father Abraham's response is sufficient answer to prove that spirits live in Heaven and can only talk to humans on earth on God's own terms and in God's own ways.
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by MizJanet(f): 7:39pm On Aug 12, 2015
orisa37:
Reference to Lazarus in Abraham's bossom and the Richman in hell beggining for a drop of water, was a discussion of the spirits in Heaven. The Richman's spirit then asked father Abraham's spirit to send prophet to the earth to recover his relations. Father Abraham's response is sufficient answer to prove that spirits live in Heaven and can only talk to humans on earth on God's own terms and in God's own ways.

Churchman, see Luke 16:24

" so he called and said : Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my Tongue "

1) your mythical spirits are said not to drink and eat , how come a spirit is begging for water ? A spirit wanna drink and taste worrha? Doesnt it sound absurd that a spirit begs for water ? shocked

2) how come spirit have TONGUE ? I thought they dont eat or taste food grin grin

This is serious

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by dolphinheart(m): 12:41am On Aug 13, 2015
orisa37:

For one lie to stand, it must be surported by other lies. Continue oo!

Abeg, where is the rich mans soul? That one get him own tongue too?
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:22pm On Aug 13, 2015
sunkoye:

More like limbo. undecided

Do you mean purgatory? undecided
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by sunkoye: 10:23pm On Aug 13, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Do you mean purgatory? undecided
nope...am not a Catholic bro.
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by joe4christ(m): 7:43am On Aug 14, 2015
Just one of the inconsistencies in the "Holy Scriptures"...
On a more serious note, we all know the scripture supports life after death in the spirit realm, but this scripture just contradicted that same theory.
Watch and see how they will come here and twist the scripture, fine tuning it to fit their ideology.

What a religion!
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:23am On Aug 15, 2015
joe4christ:

Just one of the inconsistencies in the "Holy Scriptures"...
On a more serious note, we all know the scripture supports life after death in the spirit realm, but this scripture just contradicted that same theory.
Watch and see how they will come here and twist the scripture, fine tuning it to fit their ideology.

What a religion!

You need to change your username as it is noncongruent with your confession.
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:46am On Aug 15, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

Ecclesiastes 9:5 reads, "For the living know that they will die, / but the dead know nothing; / they have no further reward, / and even their name is forgotten." This verse is sometimes used as a proof text for annihilationism, but that concept is not what is being communicated here. The "dead know nothing," but in what way?

First, it is clear from other places in the Bible that this verse cannot mean the dead have absolutely no knowledge. For example, Matthew 25:46 speaks of everlasting consciousness: "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life." Every person will spend eternity with God in heaven or apart from Him in hell. Each person will have feelings, thoughts, and abilities that exist in eternity.

In fact, Luke 16:19–31 offers an example of human capabilities in the afterlife. Lazarus is in paradise in eternal joy, while the rich man is in torment in hell (called "Hades" ). The rich man has feelings, can talk, and has the ability to remember, think, and reason.

Second, Ecclesiastes 9:5 cannot contradict Ecclesiastes 4:2. There, Solomon states that the dead are "happier than the living." However, when a person is dead, the opportunities to enjoy things on earth no longer exist.

The key to understanding the statement "the dead know nothing" is found in the theme of the book of Ecclesiastes. Ecclesiastes is written specifically from an earthly perspective. The key phrase, repeated throughout the book, is under the sun, used about thirty times. Solomon is commenting on an earth-bound life, "under the sun," without God. His conclusion, also repeated throughout the book, is that everything from that perspective is "vanity" or emptiness (Ecclesiastes 1:2).

When a person dies "under the sun," the earthly perspective, without God, is that it’s over. He is no longer under the sun. There is no more knowledge to give or be given, just a grave to mark his remains. Those who have died have "no further reward" in this life; they no longer have the ability to enjoy life like those who are living. Eventually, "even their name is forgotten" (Ecclesiastes 9:5).

Ecclesiastes 9:5 displays a chiastic structure (ABBA format) like this:

A "For the living know that they will die,
B but the dead know nothing;
B they have no further reward,
A and even their name is forgotten."

Lines 1 and 4 are parallel thoughts in the sense that the living know death is coming while those who remain after a person dies quickly forget those who have died. The second and third lines lay down associated ideas in parallel: the dead know nothing, and the dead can no longer enjoy or be rewarded for their activities in this life.

The saying "the dead know nothing" seems to be a negative sentiment, but it is not without a positive message. Solomon encourages his readers to live life to its fullest, knowing life is short. In the end, the fullest life is one that honours God and keeps His ways (Ecclesiastes 12:13–14).

http://www.gotquestions.org/dead-know-nothing.html

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by joe4christ(m): 7:47am On Aug 15, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

You need to change your username as it is noncongruent with your confession.

Will you be kind enough to put me through on how to go about that, you deluded mofo!
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by MightySparrow: 8:08am On Aug 15, 2015
It is not too good to take a scripture ALONE and make a doctrine out of it.
As Solomon is inferior to Jesus: so is his writing, Knowledge, and wisdom.

'The queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with the men of this generation and condemn them, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Solomon is here'. - Luke 11:31

Solomon's revelation is limited and earthly, in fact, lacks spiritual revelation.

And I applied my heart to know wisdom and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also is but a striving after wind. - Ecclesiastes 1:17

Except in Solomon's writing, there is no other place where Bibles says there is no knowledge beyond here. This is not to discard Solomon's writing but to point out its limitations.
However, Jesus claims He is greater than Solomon meaning His authority on a subject sets aside that of Solomon, even Moses or the temple if we consider the rest of the passage in Luke 11.

Moreso, in Revelation of John, we can deduce that the dead are not without knowledge as Solomon opined.
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne. - Revelation of John 6:9
They cried out with a loud voice, "O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before you will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth? " - Revelation of John 6:10
So, souls that are dead can cry unto God for vengeance, they must have carried knowledge from here to beyond.
About rich man asking for water, little is made known to us about beyond but Manna is quoted as angel's food. God is described as a Spirit yet He has a form. So little is told us about spirit life.
I conclude that we study with open mind the scriptures.
"The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law. - Deuteronomy 29:29
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:46am On Aug 15, 2015
joe4christ:

Will you be kind enough to put me through on how to go about that, you deluded mofo!

How about trying joe4satan for instance? cool

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:57pm On Aug 19, 2015
JMAN05:

They are unconscious.

That is not the case.
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:58pm On Aug 19, 2015
taiwo850629:

Well said. smiley
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:03pm On Aug 19, 2015
orisa37:

Good point.
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:04pm On Aug 19, 2015
CAPTIVATOR:

The dead know nothing , dead are dead

" They are dead; they will not live " - Isa 26:14

You cannot take one verse and run away with it. Compare scriptures and read them in context.
Re: What Does It Mean That The Dead Know Nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:07pm On Aug 19, 2015
dolphinheart:

For one lie to stand, it must be surported by other lies. Continue oo!

Abeg, where is the rich mans soul? That one get him own tongue too?

For your information, the soul is of the same shape to the body and spirit of man. Even though the body lies in the grave, the soul/spirit lives on till eternity in heaven or hell.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Antichrist Will Come From The Revived Roman Empire ( Europe) / The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! / Imagine A World Without Muslims!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.