Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,738 members, 7,802,228 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:19 AM

Any Esan In The House? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Any Esan In The House? (11724 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State / Esan Men / Ishan/esan Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Esan In The House? by mukina2: 2:44pm On May 20, 2009
its Ok now. You people should stop fighting now undecided

Mitch learn to be a mod and ignore, let it go

Tpiah let it go.
Re: Any Esan In The House? by Nobody: 2:46pm On May 20, 2009
mukina2:

its Ok now. You people should stop fighting now undecided

Mitch learn to be a mod and ignore, let it go

Tpiah let it go.

The girl has issues. She has been following me around posting the same thing in every thread I comment in.

Ahahhahahhahahha! IT's hilarious! grin grin
Re: Any Esan In The House? by SeXyBoNE: 7:32pm On May 21, 2009
we dey oh
Re: Any Esan In The House? by akhis: 2:01pm On May 25, 2009
This is the best thread on NL. Ara ibhokhe esan
Re: Any Esan In The House? by Ejadamen(f): 5:07pm On May 26, 2009
akhis:

This is the best thread on NL. Ara ibhokhe esan
Ara to you too. Obokhian!
Re: Any Esan In The House? by sann: 10:52am On May 27, 2009
abeg somebody, anybody, teach me esan pls. cry smiley
Re: Any Esan In The House? by Abbygyal(f): 6:39pm On Jun 03, 2009
love esan haha me wan learn ooo
Re: Any Esan In The House? by kenypumpin: 10:32am On Jun 05, 2009
everybody lamogun ooo, eni wokian??  smiley smiley
Re: Any Esan In The House? by davidif: 4:36am On Jun 24, 2009
good to see that our minority's cultures are not fading away.
Re: Any Esan In The House? by EARLMAGIC: 2:19pm On Oct 18, 2009
Hey guys,
I read this post and decided to join. the Esan names that have been changed also includes places like Irowa now called Irruah, Obiaza now called Ubiaja, Ebhokhinmi now calleds Ewohinmi, ebhoato, now called Ewatto,
Also the names of the LGAs have all been anglicsized. Esan north, Esan southe east ETC. if you got to lagos u still see Mushin LGA, agege LGA, etc why did we Esan people allow this to happen?
Re: Any Esan In The House? by Janeesa: 8:45pm On Oct 18, 2009
Bodiya everyone ,Im esan and proud, dont know many other esan people around where i live, undecided

my grandma is from ekpoma, grandad is ewatto
Re: Any Esan In The House? by chelseabmw(m): 3:55pm On Oct 21, 2009
am an esan man, from uromi
Re: Any Esan In The House? by MyJoe: 5:52pm On Oct 23, 2009
EARLMAGIC:

Hey guys,
I read this post and decided to join. the Esan names that have been changed also includes places like Irowa now called Irruah, Obiaza now called Ubiaja, Ebhokhinmi now calleds Ewohinmi, ebhoato, now called Ewatto,
Also the names of the LGAs have all been anglicsized. Esan north, Esan southe east ETC. if you got to lagos u still see Mushin LGA, agege LGA, etc why did we Esan people allow this to happen?

It's sad Earlmagic. I think the Esan people should a hold a conference and revert everything - Ubiaja to Ubiaza, Ekpoma to Ekuma, Irruah to Uriwa, Ewatto to Ebhoato, etc. But first, next time you are talking to someone and he says Ishan, tell them it's not Ishan, but Esan!

1 Like

Re: Any Esan In The House? by maedan(f): 9:51pm On Oct 23, 2009
Yeah but does it really matter?? Even English Language had to evolve. Let's not let the little things bother us, Ishan/Esan, use what ever to suit your mood wink.
Re: Any Esan In The House? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 24, 2009
I also don't think it matters, it doesn't stop the places from being in Edo States and ESAN Precisely,
Re: Any Esan In The House? by MyJoe: 4:05pm On Oct 28, 2009
@maedan, Donpuzo

First names are often abbreviated and stylised, but not usually surnames. If your first name is Michael it would be ok if a friend called you Mike or Mikey. But it would be inappropriate if he changed your surname Okoloise to Kolly. If he did it would be in an informal context only.  Why? Because surnames rate higher in terms of existentiality. A surname is fixed. Your first name is variable. The name of a people is existential. Typically, it has existed from time immemorial and no one actually knows how it came about. When the Europeans came, they changed so many names - not only in Africa, but wherever they went. Indigenous peoples have since realised the pomposity of this and have since gone to town with brushes and paints, rechristening things. There is a popular columnist in Nigeria who has almost had the Igbo version of fatua placed on his head because he can't stop writing their name is Ibo instead of Igbo. (Igbos have launched this campaign for years and dictionaries made in Western countries now carry Igbo instead of the anglicised Ibo.) Indians have since reverted from Bombay to Mumbai, Madras to Chennai, Calcutta to Kolkatta, etc.

We are not talking about the evolution of a language here. We are talking about the arbitrary change of a town's name. The English imported the parlement from French and anclised it to parliament. Fine. But the Romans who colonised Britannia for centuries did not latinise the name of England or any of its towns.

BTW I don't consider it such an important matter as say, what enibhokhan will eat, and am not launching the brush and paint campaign myself. I only made a suggestion and since Donpuzo and the very brilliant maedan counter that it is not really important, I am trying to explain the reasons some think it is and how far others have gone to change things. Cheers.
Re: Any Esan In The House? by dapachez: 4:02pm On Sep 25, 2010
smiley smiley smiley smiley[color=#000099]hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm comfort your post took the wind off my sails,knocked me off my feets,i am indeed impressed and proud to be from esanland,if you dont mind wiil like to get ,more on this gist,my name is eromosele

Re: Any Esan In The House? by Afanna1: 9:07pm On Sep 26, 2010
Re: Any Esan In The House? by Afanna1: 11:06pm On Sep 26, 2010
Re: Any Esan In The House? by HTownEve(f): 4:47pm On Nov 04, 2010
ibhokhen esan bha bulu o. grin grin grin grin

great job Comfort.

I miss Illushi smoked fish.
My mom used to travel a couple of times a year to the Benue-Esan boundry called Illushi to buy smoked fish in bulk especially just before Christmas and New Year. Wow. Good Memories. tongue grin tongue
Re: Any Esan In The House? by rabzy: 9:54am On Dec 04, 2010
I think i came quite late but gats to register my presence by singing,

Ibho khe esan no dodo elomo se ba feghe, elomo se ba feghe ibho esan no dodo.
Re: Any Esan In The House? by poweredcom(m): 1:56am On Dec 05, 2010
ibhokhen esan bha bulu o.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

great job Comfort.

I miss Illushi smoked fish.
My mom used to travel a couple of times a year to the Benue-Esan boundry called Illushi to buy smoked fish in bulk especially just before Christmas and New Year.  Wow.  Good Memories. 

The folklore and history of Esan are worth revisiting and attempt should be made to research on the various ways that the villages are related to Bini and other groups who may have occupied Ifeku Island many years ago. The Esan heritage is unique despite the variation of dialects

Well I am from Ilusshi but we are not Esans by tribe we are Igalas Ok, The edo people have marginalized that area because it faces the border to Niger river and the people are not Edo Origin, so I am quick to say I am from Kogi state, because by origin. our ancestors,  migrated from Idah Kogi state, to where we are bow in Illushi or OR Ifeku Island which is an Igala community not esan presently but we both intermarry,
Re: Any Esan In The House? by HTownEve(f): 8:09pm On Dec 09, 2010
@ Powerdcor,

Whether you are Esan or not does not matter to me.  I enjoyed the smoked fish from Illushi.
It seams like you don’t like this side of the river Niger or is it river Benue? too bad. 
Illushi is in Edo State and you are from Edo State.  Do you guys speak Igbira? 

When was the last time you were there?  I heard things are changing over there.

Ciao.
Re: Any Esan In The House? by tegsele: 2:14am On Jul 05, 2011
are the esan edo?
Re: Any Esan In The House? by kokekonceptltd: 9:29pm On Jan 16, 2013
I am Francis Ogbeide from Esan. Urohi. The son of late chief J O ogbeide, who pass on the. 5th of may 2012. I appreciate all the good works you people are doing. I will encourage more Esan to sign in.
Re: Any Esan In The House? by chukxie(m): 11:18am On Apr 01, 2013
I rep Ekpon from idumeko area, idemudin quarters. Greetings to everyone in the house.
Re: Any Esan In The House? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Apr 01, 2013
Wa labo labo... Full blooded Esan babe frm Okalo in Igueben LGA.. M presently in d village, any1 around?
Re: Any Esan In The House? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:36pm On Apr 01, 2013
chukxie: I rep Ekpon from idumeko area, idemudin quarters. Greetings to everyone in the house.

Do some people from Ekpon consider themselves to be Ika people?

I know that will sound like a strange question since you came into an Esan thread and pretty much declared that you're an Esan man from Ekpon. But I just want to know if anybody from Ekpon views themselves as being Ika instead of Esan and if so, how widespread such views are there.
Re: Any Esan In The House? by chukxie(m): 8:50am On Apr 02, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Do some people from Ekpon consider themselves to be Ika people?

I know that will sound like a strange question since you came into an Esan thread and pretty much declared that you're an Esan man from Ekpon. But I just want to know if anybody from Ekpon views themselves as being Ika instead of Esan and if so, how widespread such views are there.

Hey! You asked a very nice question. I speak not as a historian but as a layman who understands the community he came from. So pardon any inaccuracies you might find in my response to your intelligent question. Ekpon people are a very interesting mix. The reason is because of our geographical location. We are right at the boundary of the Ika speaking Igbanke and Olijie communities on one hand and Esan speaking communities of Ewosa and Ewokhimi on the other hand. By virtue of our strategic location, our culture and language have been greatly influenced over God knows how many years by our neighbours. A lot of people especially old people in Ekpon are bilingual --they speak fluent Esan and Ekpon (a derivative of Agbor language ). So, to answer your question, a lot of Ekpon people view themselves first and foremost as an integral part of Esan Kingdom and by geographical location, a part of Ika Kingdom.
Re: Any Esan In The House? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:12am On Apr 02, 2013
chukxie:

Hey! You asked a very nice question. I speak not as a historian but as a layman who understands the community he came from. So pardon any inaccuracies you might find in my response to your intelligent question. Ekpon people are a very interesting mix. The reason is because of our geographical location. We are right at the boundary of the Ika speaking Igbanke and Olijie communities on one hand and Esan speaking communities of Ewosa and Ewokhimi on the other hand. By virtue of our strategic location, our culture and language have been greatly influenced over God knows how many years by our neighbours. A lot of people especially old people in Ekpon are bilingual --they speak fluent Esan and Ekpon (a derivative of Agbor language ). So, to answer your question, a lot of Ekpon people view themselves first and foremost as an integral part of Esan Kingdom and by geographical location, a part of Ika Kingdom.

Thanks for this response. It was very informative and definitely answered my question.

1 Like

Re: Any Esan In The House? by chukxie(m): 9:30am On Apr 02, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Thanks for this response. It was very informative and definitely answered my question.
Ni hao ! Wo hen gao xing yin wei wo neng hui de ni de wenti. Wo xian zai xiang qu chi zhongguo de fan.. Hi! I'm glad i was able to answer your question. Now, i'm going to eat Chinese rice.
Re: Any Esan In The House? by Stacyj(f): 7:19pm On Apr 04, 2013
Ejadamen:

@ michelin89, i am positive it is not bitter leaf. I watched my mom prepare this soup when i was little and we never washed it like bitter leaf, rather we blend it, the leaf is a bit peppery not bitter at all. I know bitter leaf,it is definitely not bitter leaf. I have asked my mother for the name of this leaf and she said she doesn't know the name but knows it when she sees it in the market. I think I'll make enquiries at the food section.
Its called scent leave I̶̲̥̅n̶̲̥̅̊ English aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ ebi--alamenghogho I̶̲̥̅n̶̲̥̅̊ ishan

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbo Girls . / The Origin Of Igbanke People In Edo State / Yoruba Astrology & Their Western Equivalency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.