Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,855 members, 7,802,742 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan (42026 Views)

We Are Using Recovered Looted Funds To Finance 2017 Budget – FG / Looted Funds: FG Seeks Extradition Of 311 Powerful Nigerians / You’re Now Wiser After Leaving Office, Obasanjo Tells Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by bvibesblogger: 6:05am On Aug 10, 2015
Former Head of State Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar facilitated President Muhammadu Buhari’s meeting with his predecessor, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, The Nation learnt yesterday.

Thursday night’s meeting at the Villa was at the instance of the 2015 Elections Peace Committee, following complaints by Jonathan that the President was not sticking to the peace accord they signed.

Jonathan also sought for understanding on alleged corrupt practices and mismanagement of funds under his administration, it was learnt.

A source said Jonathan claimed that he was hearing about some of the graft allegations for the first time.

But Buhari was said to have insisted that all looted funds must be returned to the nation’s coffers.

He also restated his pledge that Jonathan had nothing to fear at all, according to a source who pleaded not to be named because of the “sensitivity” of the matter.

The outcome of the session was said to have informed Vice President Yemi Osinbajo’s declaration at the weekend that the Buhari administration’s anti-corruption battle was not targeted at Jonathan.

According to the source, the parley was arranged by Abdulsalami.

Jonathan was uncomfortable that Buhari had moved against his ex-Chief Security Officer (CSO), ex-National Security Adviser (NSA) and some ministers.

The source said Jonathan asked the Abdulsalami Committee to prevail on Buhari not to “rubbish” him.

The source said: “For some weeks, Jonathan has been in the country to iron out some issues on his government.

Based on Jonathan’s complaint, Abdulsalami made efforts – five times- to get in touch with Buhari but the ex-Head of State could not get through on time. I think Buhari already had security reports on Jonathan’s emissary.”

At a point, Abdulsalami expressed his frustration to some former Presidents who also prevailed on Buhari to give the committee a chance to mediate.

The source added: “This was how Abdulsalami succeeded in securing an appointment from Buhari for Jonathan with a caveat that the immediate past President should feel free to bare his mind.”

Giving an insight into the talks, another source said: “Jonathan said he was hearing some of the allegations, especially financial sleaze, against his administration for the first time. He made it clear that he had nothing to do with some of these corrupt practices.

“He said whatever steps or actions the President intends to take; it should be within the framework of the peace accord the two leaders signed. Obviously, he wanted soft landing.

“He also pledged to cooperate with Buhari as much as possible on all steps he is going to take.”

Buhari, it was gathered, restated his pledge that Joanthan had nothing to fear. But he said there was no going back on the recovery of looted funds.

“The President reassured Jonathan that he has no personal agenda against him. But he insisted that whatever was stolen from the treasury must be returned,” the source said.

There were indications last night that ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo’s visit to Buhari was part of moves to “offer advice” to the President on the issues raised by Jonathan.

When contacted, the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the President, Mr. Femi Adesina, said: “I am aware that President Buhari met with ex-President Goodluck Jonathan but it was behind closed doors. I don’t have the details of what they discussed.”

Some of the issues which made Jonathan to seek peace talks with Buhari are:

probe of $2.1billion illegally withdrawn from the Excess Crude Account without recourse to the National Economic Council(NEC);
whereabouts of $4billion taxes and dividends paid by the Nigerian Liquefied Natural Gas Limited between 2009 and 2014;
how the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) spent N3.8trillion in three years;
likely trial of some ex-ministers; and
list of looted funds, banks where they are kept and ex-ministers or government officials affected.
The National Economic Committee (NEC) had on June 29 raised a four-man panel on how NNPC spent N3.8trillion in three years.

The four “wise men” are Governors Adam Oshiomhole (Edo), Udom Emmanuel (Akwa Ibom), Mallam Nasir el-Rufai (Kaduna) and Ibrahim Dankwambo (Gombe).

Awaiting the committee’s report, Governor Adams Oshiomhole joined issues with the immediate past Minister of Finance Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, on how $2.1billion in ECA was disbursed without approval.

He said of the $2.1billion, only $1billion was paid to oil marketers as fuel subsidy and about $1billion used for election purposes.

Although, Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala claimed that the ex-President approved the spending of $1billion, Oshiomhole said Jonathan had no right to do so.

He said any withdrawal from Excess Crude Account ought to be approved by the National Economic Council (NEC).

The Nation had on July 15 published that the ex-President approached the Gen. Abdulsalami National Peace Committee for the 2015 General Election, for protection.

http://thenationonlineng.net/buhari-to-jonathan-looted-funds-must-be-returned/

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by Lattop(m): 6:07am On Aug 10, 2015
Goodmawni NL
The next poster might av something reasonable to postcheesy

6 Likes

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by isbish(m): 6:14am On Aug 10, 2015
Its's simple! Return our stollen money. Stealing is now corruption. God forgive those that remain persistently obstinate in supporting the loot of GEJ's government. God disdains supporters of evil and crime. God help GMB to make Nigeria great again.

165 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by Icecomrade: 6:15am On Aug 10, 2015
Despite the fact that I am a GEJ supporter I don't advocate for corruption.
If GEJ and his ministers stole or mismanaged a reasonable amount of money that should not be over looked, PMB should recover it.

My issue with PMB is that leaving out the likes of the so many other THIEVES like the Old Talkative OBJ who stole his own portion in his time, leaving out Thief-Nubu and Amaechi cos the money they stole was judiciously used to sponsor election in the name of limiting his probe to past government alone leaves a lot to bargain.

He who comes to equity must come with clean hands.

82 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by powerfulsettingz: 6:16am On Aug 10, 2015
Someone will Still say he's slow and steady

Oya dem wailing wailers start oooo

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by Chiefpriest1(m): 6:18am On Aug 10, 2015
Nigeria is bigger than any single individual. All decisions must be taken in the interest of this nation.

Those who looted our commonwealth must return it or go to jail

47 Likes

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by GreenUzzy(m): 6:23am On Aug 10, 2015
What is POTFRON waiting for? Recover our stolen funds from him and Jail.

8 Likes

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by omowolewa: 6:23am On Aug 10, 2015
Since he wasn't aware of the misappropriation, he should allow his ministers dance to tune of the probe.

But the agenda and outcome of such an highpower meeting shouldn't have been made public,are the journalists eavesdropping or GMB is play to the gallery?

13 Likes

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by azimibraun: 6:23am On Aug 10, 2015
But why is GEJ trying to frustrate Mr Buhari's efforts in the cleaning up and recovery effort? Just within 2+ months of leaving a position he held for 6yrs he is back at the Villa begging and distracting the President from doing his job. All this Kurukere & Koro...moves will not help o!

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by OYINBOGOJU(m): 6:24am On Aug 10, 2015
This is my Judgement

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Looted funds must be returned or Risk Jail.

I rise .

16 Likes

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by Mariecakes(f): 6:26am On Aug 10, 2015
azimibraun:
All this Kurukere & Koro...moves will not help o!

I hope so oooo

2 Likes

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by OYINBOGOJU(m): 6:29am On Aug 10, 2015
Icecomrade:
Despite the fact that I am a GEJ I don't advocate for corruption.
If GEJ and his ministers stole or mismanaged a reasonable amount of money that should not over looked, PMB should recover it.

My issue with PMB is that leaving out the likes of the so many other THIEVES like the Old Talkative OBJ who stole his own portion in his time, leaving out Thief-Nubu and Amaechi cos the money they stole was judiciously used to sponsor election in the name of limiting his probe to past government alone leaves a lot to bargain.

He who comes to equity must come with clean hands.

When another opposition party get to aso rock let them prosecute APC fathers too.

That is the beauty of democrazy.

Call it witch hunting or whatever.

Pdp must return substantial amount of stolen wealth.

APC CHANGE.

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by azimibraun: 6:30am On Aug 10, 2015
Where is Reuben Agbati, FFK and Doyin Okupe? People just have opportunities and they play God. See how fast things have turned. The same will happen to Mr Buhari if he relegate God the giver or power to the background and believe in evil men and women. I hope he doesn't make GEJ'S mistakes. OBJ, TINUBU, AMEACHI were all accused of being Corrupt yet they never ran to GEJ for 6yrs to stop any probe. GEJ is a decent Man and the best president Nigeria will ever produce yet see what he is doing running around trying to save himself. Patience Ebele Jonathan's prediction is about to come to past.." The Prison Prediction".

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by ddippset(m): 6:34am On Aug 10, 2015
Ordinarily Jonathan should not be anywhere around the shores today. He should be taking a 'well deserved' holiday somewhere in the Bahamas after 5 years of service. But look what we have here, he's hanging around and sneaking in and out of the villa looking for a good vita foam mattress to land on. But I trust pmb, he will recover every naira from Jonathan and his lieutenants. And for those still hallucinating about amaechi and tinubu, just forget it. Jonathan should have probed them. For now buhari is concentrating on the regime that handed over to him. If every government probed the corrupt members of the opposition party, Nigeria would be free of corruption today.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by midolian(m): 6:36am On Aug 10, 2015
Jonathan said he was hearing some of the allegations, especially financial sleaze, against his administration for the first time. He made it clear that he had nothing to do with "some" of these corrupt practices.

Thank God he said "some". undecided

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by Icecomrade: 6:44am On Aug 10, 2015
OYINBOGOJU:

When another opposition party get to aso rock let them prosecute APC fathers too.

That is the beauty of democrazy.

Call it witch hunting or whatever.

Pdp must return substantial amount of stolen wealth.

APC CHANGE.

You should have just made your comment without quoting me cos what you wrote has no relationship with my comment.
Since you choose to quote me let me ask you

Do you view OBJ and Amaechi government as APC led government?

Should the Fight against corruption be partisan?

Are we not allowing party loyalty to becloud our reasoning and comments against our duty to National interest.

How long will we continue in this vindictive approach to governance where the next government is gearing up a battle against the previous in the name of party affiliations?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by ddippset(m): 6:44am On Aug 10, 2015
midolian:

Thank God he said "some". undecided
lol, nice observation right there.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by Larynx(m): 6:45am On Aug 10, 2015
I won't talk much...... I go just dey observe..... Lagosian till I seize breathe

1 Like

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by ddippset(m): 6:47am On Aug 10, 2015
Icecomrade:

You should have just made your comment without quoting me cos what you wrote has no relationship with my comment.
Since you choose to quote me let me ask you

Do you view OBJ and Amaechi government as APC led government?

Should the Fight against corruption be partisan?

Are we not allowing party loyalty to becloud our reasoning and comments against our duty to National interest.

How long will we continue in this vindictive approach to governance where the next government is gearing up a battle against the previous in the name of party affiliations?

it's not being partisan. He's only reading his handover notes and seeing unimaginable things. Or do you want him to throw away the hand over notes he received?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by aljharem(m): 6:48am On Aug 10, 2015
Probe arrest and lock up, Allison Madueke and Bola Ahmed Tinubu. Opari

Stop all this noise making.

Also probe but don't arrest the 78 million Naira website owner (Fashola)

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by Nobody: 6:50am On Aug 10, 2015
[size=28pt]Daura Dull@rd[/size] chasing shadows since 18BC

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by disloman(m): 7:03am On Aug 10, 2015
USarmy:
[size=28pt]Daura Dull@rd[/size] chasing shadows since 18BC
Hmmmm.Daura is giving u nightmares.Right?keep wailing.

42 Likes

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by Icecomrade: 7:15am On Aug 10, 2015
ddippset:
it's not being partisan. He's only reading his handover notes and seeing unimaginable things. Or do you want him to throw away the hand over notes he received?

Read my initial comment and rephrase your question.

I also asked you vital questions based on your last comment. I didn't see any where you addressed them.

5 Likes

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by stinggy(m): 7:21am On Aug 10, 2015
aljharem:
Probe arrest and lock up, Allison Madueke and Bola Ahmed Tinubu. Opari

Stop all this noise making.

Also probe but don't arrest the 78 million Naira website owner (Fashola)
Alison Madueke as the last Petroleum minister.

Bola Tinubu as who? Should he probe Orji Uzor Kalu, Ahmed Makarfi or Segun Oshoba too?

16 Likes

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by Hope15: 7:30am On Aug 10, 2015
Restitution without the return of unjustly acquired loot is nothing.

CBN is yet to receive any returned loot.....the hangman noose is getting nearer....hurry O ye looters!

3 Likes

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by hazyfm1: 8:04am On Aug 10, 2015
powerfulsettingz:
Still slow and steady

Oya dem wailing wailers start oooo
grin grin grin
Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by seankay(m): 8:08am On Aug 10, 2015
Returning the loot isn't enough, they should also face the law. Nobody should be above the law

2 Likes

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by Demdem(m): 8:08am On Aug 10, 2015
The General is in charge. He will choose who and what to probe. To hell with those who disagree with him. These fools said nothing and supported Jonah-daft when he chose not to probe anyone and allowed thievery and now they are suddenly asking the General to start his probe from 1960. Shameless fools. U are all inconsequential in the current scheme of things. The General gat to do what he wants to do and there is absolutely nothing u lot can do about it.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by pharmagba: 8:09am On Aug 10, 2015
azimibraun:
Where is Reuben Agbati, FFK and Doyin Okupe? People just have opportunities and they play God. See how fast things have turned. The same will happen to Mr Buhari if he relegate God the giver or power to the background and believe in evil men and women. I hope he doesn't make GEJ'S mistakes. OBJ, TINUBU, AMEACHI were all accused of being Corrupt yet they never ran to GEJ for 6yrs to stop any probe. GEJ is a decent Man and the best president Nigeria will ever produce yet see what he is doing running around trying to save himself. Patience Ebele Jonathan's prediction is about to come to past.." The Prison Prediction".
I don't understand this your write up.
Are you praising GEJ that he couldn't prosecute one corrupt official in 6yrs?
That suspected looters where wining and dining with him and he couldn't do anything?
That GEJ didn't know corruption was brewing under his watch?
Now he wants the peace accord to be implemented above the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria which he has sworn to protect?
Although I want a soft landing for him but PLEASE DONT EVER MENTION HE IS THE BEST NIGERIA PRESIDENT because he is the WORST

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by joseph1832(m): 8:15am On Aug 10, 2015
Of course GEJ doesn't know about the financial sleaze that plagued his administration. That's why he's 'clueless'.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Looted Funds Must Be Returned - Buhari Tells Jonathan by free2ryhme: 8:51am On Aug 10, 2015
grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Visits The Collapse Scene, Checked On The Survivors At Hospital - Pics / What Might Happen To Nigeria Currency After Subsidy Removal? / Goodluck Jonathan Celebrates His 63rd Birthday As Family Sings For Him (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.