Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,816 members, 7,802,619 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance (26346 Views)

List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 11:47pm On Jan 14, 2016
tpiah2:
Hausas tend to look more like the Sahelian groups is what she means.

That's because a lot of Nigeria is in the Sahel. Sahel is also in Cameroon, Chad, Niger Republic, etc.

Again, I reiterate, no such thing as looking Nigerian. People can't just use 1 or 2 ethnic groups and say "This is how Nigerians look". There are 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 1:19am On Jan 15, 2016
tpiah2:
Hausas tend to look more like the Sahelian groups is what she means.

True.
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 1:20am On Jan 15, 2016
Fulaman198:

That's because a lot of Nigeria is in the Sahel. Sahel is also in Cameroon, Chad, Niger Republic, etc.

Again, I reiterate, no such thing as looking Nigerian. People can't just use 1 or 2 ethnic groups and say "This is how Nigerians look". There are 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria.

You're right, each ethnic group has their own unique characteristics, be it physical or cultural.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by gundie(f): 2:04am On Jan 15, 2016
lol Fulaman there is believe me...
tell me u have never been for example say in foreign land (out of naija) and managed to identify nigerians without talking to them

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 2:24am On Jan 15, 2016
@gundie It's off topic, but you're gorgeous.
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 2:51am On Jan 15, 2016
gundie:
lol Fulaman there is believe me...
tell me u have never been for example say in foreign land (out of naija) and managed to identify nigerians without talking to them

There is no Nigerian look. There are 170 million Nigerians. How would a non-Nigerian know about how Nigerians look. Nigerian physical attributes are based on their resurrecting m respective regions. There are Nigerians that look Senegalese, there are Nigerians that look Nilotic, there are Nigerians that look Amazigh, there are even indigenous Nigerian Arab groups.... So what are you saying?
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 2:51am On Jan 15, 2016
aim5:

You're right, each ethnic group has their own unique characteristics, be it physical or cultural.

Yeah thanks bro
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 3:57am On Jan 15, 2016
Fulaman198:

There is no Nigerian look. There are 170 million Nigerians. How would a non-Nigerian know about how Nigerians look. Nigerian physical attributes are based on their resurrecting m respective regions. There are Nigerians that look Senegalese, there are Nigerians that look Nilotic, there are Nigerians that look Amazigh, there are even indigenous Nigerian Arab groups.... So what are you saying?

Unfortunately everywhere you go people tend to have these conceptions about how Nigerians should look. Where I am right now whenever I or any of my cousins tell them were Nigerians they say we don't look or act Nigerian, just a day ago a Pakistani was asking me why I'm so different from other Nigerians and I can remember entering a cab with my cousin and the cab driver starting to rain insults on Nigerians that they're ruining other Africans. This mostly results in a very long lesson on Nigeria and it's diversity.

2 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 7:36am On Jan 15, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

Unfortunately everywhere you go people tend to have these conceptions about how Nigerians should look. Where I am right now whenever I or any of my cousins tell them were Nigerians they say we don't look or act Nigerian, just a day ago a Pakistani was asking me why I'm so different from other Nigerians and I can remember entering a cab with my cousin and the cab driver starting to rain insults on Nigerians that they're ruining other Africans. This mostly results in a very long lesson on Nigeria and it's diversity.

I agree my brother, you are absolutely correct about that. Why people have these conceptions about how Nigerians should look really does not make any sense whatsoever to me.

Where are you currently located? the U.K.?
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 8:01am On Jan 15, 2016
Fulaman198:

I agree my brother, you are absolutely correct about that. Why people have these conceptions about how Nigerians should look really does not make any sense whatsoever to me.

Where are you currently located? the U.K.?

Naah mahn, i think the people in the UK are more familiar with nigerians and understand that theyre different ethnic groups.
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 4:06pm On Jan 15, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

Naah mahn, i think the people in the UK are more familiar with nigerians and understand that theyre different ethnic groups.

Oh ok, what country are you in if you don't mind me asking.
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jan 15, 2016
Fulaman198:

Oh ok, what country are you in if you don't mind me asking.

no offense but that i cant answer. with the things ive said on this forum i'm a little paranoid.
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 4:55pm On Jan 15, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

no offense but that i cant answer. with the things ive said on this forum i'm a little paranoid.

None taken

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by tpiah2: 7:05pm On Jan 15, 2016
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by tpiah2: 7:06pm On Jan 15, 2016
Fulaman198:

that means you're not familiar with what Nigerians look like, or you refuse to admit there are differences between people.

The fact is, northern Nigerians have more of a Sahelian look (Hamitic if you prefer), while southern Nigerians have their own unique features.
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 7:20pm On Jan 15, 2016
tpiah2:

that means you're not familiar with what Nigerians look like, or you refuse to admit there are differences between people.

The fact is, northern Nigerians have more of a Sahelian look (Hamitic if you prefer), while southern Nigerians have their own unique features.

No, that means you refuse to accept the ethnic differences that is Nigeria. There is no "Nigerian" look there are Nigerian looks represented by each ethnic group in Nigeria. A Fulani man from Nigeria will have a lot in common from a phenotype PoV with a Fulani man from Mali, Niger republic, Senegal, Guinea, etc. A Kanuri man will have a lot in common with Kanuris from Chad, Niger Republic, Libya, etc

As aforementioned, Nigeria is a nation comprised of multiple black Phenotypes based on both climate and diet.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by tpiah2: 7:38pm On Jan 15, 2016
Fulaman198:

No, that means you refuse to accept the ethnic differences that is Nigeria. There is no "Nigerian" look there are Nigerian looks represented by each ethnic group in Nigeria. A Fulani man from Nigeria will have a lot in common from a phenotype PoV with a Fulani man from Mali, Niger republic, Senegal, Guinea, etc. A Kanuri man will have a lot in common with Kanuris from Chad, Niger Republic, Libya, etc

As aforementioned, Nigeria is a nation comprised of multiple black Phenotypes based on both climate and diet.

we'll just have to accept the differences between northern and southern Nigerians, that's all.

You have more in common with people of other countries, not everyone identifies with that although a lot of southern Nigerians are trying to be the same way.
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 7:44pm On Jan 15, 2016
tpiah2:

we'll just have to accept the differences between northern and southern Nigerians, that's all.

You have more in common with people of other countries, not everyone identifies with that although a lot of southern Nigerians are trying to be the same way.

Same can be said with some Southern Nigerian Groups. From my understanding, there are indigenous Yoruba groups in Benin Republic and Togo. Are you telling me Yorubas from those countries look different from Yorubas in Nigeria?

What I'm saying is that since Nigeria is a West African country, one can safely say that there are groups in Nigeria today that will have similarities with the same ethnic groups in different countries. Thus, there is no Nigerian look. Nigeria is a multi-faceted nation with many looks and identities. Northern and Southern Nigeria are not two different countries like many Southerners try to make it. It's one nation with multiple ethnicities.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by tpiar: 11:34pm On Jan 15, 2016
Fulaman198:

Same can be said with some Southern Nigerian Groups. From my understanding, there are indigenous Yoruba groups in Benin Republic and Togo. Are you telling me Yorubas from those countries look different from Yorubas in Nigeria?

yes, i knew you would bring up Benin rep and Togo immediately.

Can you explain why I have to refer to those two countries, why must they be a point of reference.

What I'm saying is that since Nigeria is a West African country, one can safely say that there are groups in Nigeria today that will have similarities with the same ethnic groups in different countries. Thus, there is no Nigerian look. Nigeria is a multi-faceted nation with many looks and identities. Northern and Southern Nigeria are not two different countries like many Southerners try to make it. It's one nation with multiple ethnicities.

Our viewpoints are different because our experiences are different.

Nigerians are easily recognizable anywhere, however, northern Nigerians do not have the same features as southern ones, hence they blend in more easily with non-Nigerians and are not easily recognized as Nigerian when outside the country.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 7:18am On Jan 16, 2016
tpiar:

yes, i knew you would bring up Benin rep and Togo immediately.

Can you explain why I have to refer to those two countries, why must they be a point of reference.

Our viewpoints are different because our experiences are different.

Nigerians are easily recognizable anywhere, however, northern Nigerians do not have the same features as southern ones, hence they blend in more easily with non-Nigerians and are not easily recognized as Nigerian when outside the country.

Really Tpia? You are speaking as if people from the Northern Part of the country are not Nigerians, when we are just as Nigerian as everyone else. Nigeria is not just certain parts of Nigeria. Nigeria is the entire nation as a whole.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by tpiah2: 12:09pm On Jan 16, 2016
Fulaman198:

Really Tpia? You are speaking as if people from the Northern Part of the country are not Nigerians, when we are just as Nigerian as everyone else. Nigeria is not just certain parts of Nigeria. Nigeria is the entire nation as a whole.

that's your projection of my post, not what I was actually saying.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Tequilah: 11:31pm On Jan 16, 2016
Fulaman198:

Gbam! Gbam!! Gbam!!! Well said!! cool Chop knuckle, my guy! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 6:12am On Jan 17, 2016
Tequilah:

Gbam! Gbam!! Gbam!!! Well said!! cool Chop knuckle, my guy! cheesy

Thank you my brother, we are all Nigerians and proud to be Nigerian. However, people need to realise that their own particular part of Nigeria is not representative of everywhere in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by tpia100k: 7:34am On Jan 17, 2016
so who said it is?

You seem to be projecting.

I have been on majority of the Fulani threads, many of the Hausa threads, but strangely its just now you are claiming some people's part of Nigeria is representative of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 7:40am On Jan 17, 2016
tpia100k:
so who said it is?

You seem to be projecting.

I have been on majority of the Fulani threads, many of the Hausa threads, but strangely its just now you are claiming some people's part of Nigeria is representative of Nigeria.

Haba! all I'm saying is simple. There is no one Nigerian look. There are multiple Nigerian looks respective of the Multi-ethnic Nation that is Nigeria. We are all blacks don't get me wrong, but Blacks are not monolithic. Blacks have different looks moreso than any other skin colour group.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Ihuomadinihu: 8:44am On Jan 17, 2016
scholes0:

lol, what a load of bullshit....
Until you explain to the world the difference between these fair skinned, hairy, strong and light eyed igbos:

And these very dark, short, bootylicious Yoruba people:

Then you are only demonstrating your stewpidity to the world.
If a non Igbo had answered this question you would have replied differently without throwing insults on that individual.
I don't seem to understand the unnecessary resentment of Igbo people on nairaland. Instead of addressing the Ops questions,you decided to unleash personal attacks on her.
It will be ridiculous if we pretend not to notice the obvious physical differences amongst Nigerian ethnic groups. Whether they come off as steroetypes of not,it is interesting to note that people associate certain physical characteristics with different ethnic groups.
In the East,a very Curvy and Plump woman is said to be like Yoruba/Calabar women irrespective of her ethnic group. A very tall lanky guy is said to look like Fulani people. If you are looking for a girl for a fulani part in a movie,we all know the type of features that will be looked out for. When you meet a Nigerian with green eyes or so,there are higher chances that the individual is Igbo.
More often than not, Keke and Motor cycle operators from Akwa/Calabar region that reside in the East have a rather short stature. Igbos, Niger Deltans and certain groups from the north are mostly associated with light skin and coloured eyes and we can't pretend we don't notice that. Even in West Africa, Ghanaians are known to darker and buffer than Nigerians,it doesn't mean there are no natural light skin Ghanaians These things are visible to the naked eyes.

We may call this stereotypes put there are elements of truth which may not be applicable in all situations.
This 2016,make a resolution to attack the issue at hand not the individual. Calling people stewpid doesn't make you intelligent.
Those random pictures doesn't make sense. I expected clear pictures of popular igbo and yoruba figures for proper comparison. Even Nollywood igbo, Hausa and Yoruba would show you that we manifest different features. wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Ihuomadinihu: 8:54am On Jan 17, 2016
aim5:

I know some Yoruba girls at my university who are light without bleaching.. so I guess that stereotype is smashed.
Nothing has been smashed. Even Yorubas will tell you that Igbos tend to come in lighter skin and eye colour. It doesn't mean there are no light skin yorubas.
If you are assumed to be Igbo then there are features you exhibit which is commonly associated with Igbos.
The problem is that you are obsessed with Igbos and their light skin. This is probably the 1000th time you are discussing igbo features and skin tone. That you saw some light skin yoruba girls doesn't mean anything. Apart from some Northern Nigerian groups, people in the East/south are more or less known to exhibit interesting physical features.

3 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 10:11am On Jan 17, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

Nothing has been smashed. Even Yorubas will tell you that Igbos tend to come in lighter skin and eye colour. It doesn't mean there are no light skin yorubas.
If you are assumed to be Igbo then there are features you exhibit which is commonly associated with Igbos.
The problem is that you are obsessed with Igbos and their light skin. This is probably the 1000th time you are discussing igbo features and skin tone. That you saw some light skin yoruba girls doesn't mean anything. Apart from some Northern Nigerian groups, people in the East/south are more or less known to exhibit interesting physical features.

Why are you quoting me from August? This is a dead topic, so move on.
Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Ihuomadinihu: 10:58am On Jan 17, 2016
aim5:

Why are you quoting me from August? This is a dead topic, so move on.
This is on the culture front page. Anyway,you pay so much attention to mundane issues,so move on. I will still catch you on same issue.

3 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Fulaman198(m): 11:02am On Jan 17, 2016
How is Igbo women feet like? Are they beautiful?

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Nobody: 11:16am On Jan 17, 2016
Fulaman198:
How is Igbo women feet like? Are they beautiful?

i dont even want to know how your first night with your wife is going to be. grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance by Ihuomadinihu: 2:47pm On Jan 17, 2016
What is igbo women feet kwa? There is nothing i wouldn't see here.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chuogo Okoye Slumps And Dies (Eze Ndigbo Of Agege, Lagos) / Top 5 Places That Tell The History And Reveal The Culture Of The Igbo. / Oluwo Akanbi Visits House Of Representatives Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.