Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,337 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

Plight Of A Left-hand User In A World That Legalize Only The Use Of Right Hand - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Plight Of A Left-hand User In A World That Legalize Only The Use Of Right Hand (897 Views)

Quiet: The Power Of Introverts In World That Talks Too Much / The Widow's Plight / The Plight Of A Barren Woman In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plight Of A Left-hand User In A World That Legalize Only The Use Of Right Hand by smartsamuel(m): 4:17pm On Aug 11, 2015
AUTHOR: Smart Samuel
TOPIC: The Plight of a Left-hand User in a World that legalize Only the Use of Right Hand OR
An Article That Criticizes The Bias Approval Of Right Hand To Left Hand In The World Made Up Of Both hand users

AIM/OBJECTIVE: To tell the world about a set of forbidden people and their yearning for freedom, liberty and a right
TABLE OF CONTENT
a. Introduction
b. (An Observation) A world that belongs only to the right hand users and How left-handers see the world
c. How left-handers write
d. How left-handers interpret numbers
e. Place of left-hand users in today’s society
f. Psychological reason why left-handers behave the way they do
g. Endnote

Introduction:
I was born a left-hander, commonly known as (LEFTEE) i.e. A person who uses majorly, the left hand to do virtually every job a hand does. As I metamorphose into an adult, I remember now how grown-up use to yell at me then for using my left hand to do virtually every act the hand is meant to do. I was rebuked each time I used my left hand. I remembered then as a child, one lady, Miss Chinedu. She was our next door neighbor. She took my left handed nature personally and so served as an ambassador against my use of left hand so very much to a point that among other ill treatments, began to use broom as an instrument of correction i.e “cane” to lash me whenever I used my God given left hand. She emphasized that the use of broom as a correction instrument will cleanse and deliver me from the evil plough of the spirits behind the use of left hand. She and others reprimand me that it was evil to use the left hand to wash, write, sweep work or do anything worthwhile. The use of left hand was tag “evil” as it was superstitiously believed to bring bad luck.
Scolding and constant punishment changed me then I succumbed, gradually, I began learning to use my right hand for all works and inherited the same believed that the use of left hand was not just wrong but also a taboo.
Just like Miss Chinedu and others treated me with aversion, over my use of left hand, so also does the world we live in today, government and majority of people unknowingly, unintentionally and indirectly degraded and converted the use of left hand and every activity that pertain to the left direction to the right. One might not really feel the push toward this changes because the topic seems too meager and intangible to be considered but taking a closer look into the subject matters broadens the mind to understand that such threat is being perpetrated on a daily basis but just in a subtly approach ranging from changing the drivers seat position in a car from left to right to placing the computer mouse on the right hand direction rather than the left. Clocks and watched moving clockwise to the right to even practicing to write from the left through to the right to mention but a few
As an inborn left-hander (leftee) I have discovered that there is a bias legalization by majority over the use of right hand against left hand use and the effect of placing things to the right hand from left hand must be reviewed.
This article gives you a firsthand glimpse into the beautiful world of the left-handers (leftee) and open up the eye of your mind into how unique lefthanders are, their ideology and the way they see the world very different from the known way all right hand users see the world
Enjoy the reading………………..
(An Observation)A world that belongs only to the right hand users and how left-handers see the world
The left-handed man sees the world as a place that alters their originality. We look at the wall clock or the wrist watch and it movement goes from the “left to the right” suiting the right handed man. For God’s sake, what about us; the left handed people?, we asking. Why cant there be a setting where the clock also moves from the “right to the left” so as to suit our very own left handed nature too? The clock movement is tag “clockwise” but its movement in reverse appears to be a sin and is tagged “anti-clockwise”. Did u see that? The “ANTI”! meaning (AGAINST) and why is anyone not saying anything against this bias behavior toward the (leftee) the left handed people? While the right hand man gets what suits him, the left hand man should also get what suits him too. we the lfet-handers (leftee) are forcefully made to accept inventions and events that suits the right hand man and we are made to inherit right handed nature which goes against the default setting of our brain and minds which originally has been programmed by God to see, move and interpret things and event from the right through to the left

How we write
After carefully evaluation of myself and observing little children born as left-hander i.e (leftee) and privileged to use their left hand to learn how to write, I had discovered that majority of left-handers (leftee) tend to write in opposite direction to the way the right-handers do. We tend to write in reversed. Holding the pen on the left hand, we start writing from the right hand side of a book or paper through to the left. Just as the Arab people do. This is so because the brain of the left hand man operates from the right through to the left. This nature exhibited by a left-hander should rather be embraced and seen as a virtue instead of vice. Since left-handers reversed method of writing can be understood by all who can read and write, the lefthanders must be encouraged and provided with a platform where their writing pattern is generally acknowledge and approved for both formal and informal activities as it expresses their own perspective as human.

How we interpret numbers
All left-handers (Leftee) interpret numbers in a reversed manner. Though this quality may not appear too obvious to all lefthander but its very apparent to those of us that are into professions which involves working with numbers e.g lefthanders that are banker, programmers or journalist those who work in a profession that uses numbers a lot can testify that we at most cases mix up numbers that looks alike reading them from the right to the left e.g A banker,
Programmer or journalist that is a left hander (leftee) see a number like
722 will interpret, see or read it out as 227
411 as 114
335 as 533
866 as 668 etc
We interpret numbers from right to the left just as our brain and mind is programmed to. This call for cautiousness for all or most lefthander (leftee) to pay more attention when working with numbers so as to avoid such errors

Place of left-hand users in today’s society
The place of the left hander (leftee) in today’s society is that of mimicry where the left hander is forced to operate in a particular manner of the right handed man strange to his own system or make-up. He is made to learn and act not in his own perspective rather, in a manner authority deems fit as a standard for him. Hence, limiting the left-hander from expressing originality which in-turn limits human expansion and development to that of only one sided system the right handed man’s method.

Psychological reasons behind left-handers behaviour

ENDNOTE
We must begin to embrace left hand use/users as part of the general populace, view the world from their own telescope, just the same way we view the world from the right handed man’s perspective.
I speak for their right, we must respect their left handed pattern of thought, their nature and existence without forcefully altering the left handed man’s nature to embrace/mimic the right hand man pattern.
THE END………….
Re: Plight Of A Left-hand User In A World That Legalize Only The Use Of Right Hand by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 11, 2015
@OP,nice write-up there, am left-handed and also hav a left-handed sis, my mother tried evrytin to change us..Bt she ended us changin ma sis bt am still leftie..yea, right hand to da ass; left hand to da mouth grin .Team Leftie gringrin

1 Like

Re: Plight Of A Left-hand User In A World That Legalize Only The Use Of Right Hand by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 19, 2015
smiley
Re: Plight Of A Left-hand User In A World That Legalize Only The Use Of Right Hand by D9ty7(m): 1:54pm On Aug 20, 2015
I was born left-handed but some forces greater that I am changed it. Right from the time I started writing in school, I started using my right hand, but left for other things including eating. The only thing I do with my right hand is to write which affected my handwriting.
But as I stand today, I can write with both hands legibly, but still doesn't change the fact that I have been forced to change from a 'leftee' to a 'rightee' cos I write more often with my right hand.

(1) (Reply)

Southy Needs Help With Pidgin English / Peace And Love By Lamidi Abdulrazaq Opeyemi And Aisha Ezionu Abigail / STORYBAZE; Make Money Posting, Writing And Reading Stories For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.