Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Nupe - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nupe (8996 Views)

Oworo Land: Where The Tongue Includes Igbo, Yoruba Words And Chief Bears Nupe / Nupe Families In Lagos / The Effect Of Nupe Cultural Practice On The Health Of Nupe People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nupe by comfort3: 3:07pm On Mar 23, 2009
Nupe
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article includes a list of references or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. Please improve this article by introducing more precise citations where appropriate. (February 2008)

This article is about the ethnic group. For fraternity members called nupes, see Kappa Alpha Psi. For the British trade union, see National Union of Public Employees.
The Nupe, tradititionally called the Tapa by the neighbouring Yoruba, are an ethnic group located primarily in the middle belt and northern Nigeria and are the dominant group in Niger and an important minority in Kwara State.

Although a version of their history claim that they originally lived in Egypt. The more common tradition traces their origin to Tsoede who fled the court of Idah and established a loose confederation of towns along the Niger in the 15th century. The proximity of Nupe to the Yoruba Igbomina people in the south and to the Yoruba Oyo people in the southwest led to cross-fertilization of cultural influences through trade and conflicts over the centuries. It is said that the famous Yoruba oba or king, Shango (also spelt Sango, and also known across the world as 'Xango, Chango, Nago Shango and Jakuta) who was once an Alaafin of Oyo before being deified following his death, was the son of a Nupe (Tapa) woman.

Many Nupe were converted to Islam at the end of the eighteenth century by Mallam Dendo, a wandering preacher, and were incorporated into the Fulani Empire established by the Jihad led by Usman dan Fodio after 1806.

However, the traditions of Nupe were retained, hence the ruler of Nupe is the Etsu Nupe rather than being called Emir. The city of Bida fell to the colonialist British forces in 1897, the Etsu Abubakar was deposed and replaced by the more pliable Muhammadu (Vandeleur 1898). During the reign of Muhammadu, a Prince named Jimada moved to Patigi, northeast of Bida (not to be confused with near-identically spelt Pategi, southwest of Bida, on the southern and opposite bank of the Niger River) protesting against being ruled by a Fulani (Vandeleur 1898). Now Jimada’s descendants are fighting for the post of Etsu Nupe claiming to be the only existing pure Nupe ruling family.

More detail on the history of the Nupe kingdoms can be found in Burdon (1909), Nadel (1942), Hogben & Kirk-Greene (1966:261-282) and Mason (1981).

[edit] Population and demography
There are probably about 1,5 million Nupe, principally in Niger State. They are primarily Muslims about 90%, although traditional religion still exist but are weak. The Nupe people have several local, traditional rulers. The Etsu Nupe (Bida) is not Nupe and is actually part of the Fula tribe but they came to rule the Bida in the 1806. They have no present capital, although they were originally based at Rabah and only moved to Bida in the nineteenth century.

[edit] Traditions, art and culture
The Nupe people have various traditions. As Muslims much of their culture is adopted from the Arab nations but they still hold on to much of their culture. Many Nupe people often have tribal scars on their faces (similar to an old Yoruba tradition), some to identify their prestige and the family of which they belong as well as for protection, as well as jewelry adornment. But these traditions are dying out in certain areas. Though their continues to be hints of their traditional religion persisting many Nupe claim to be Muslim, although there are also some Nupe Christian's. Their art is often abstract. They are well known for their wooden stools with patterns carved onto the surface.
Siegfried Nadel, whose book, Black Byzantium, remains an anthropological classic.
The Nupe, were described in detail by the ethnographer .
Re: Nupe by tpia5: 10:56pm On Jul 27, 2013
what's the relationship between nupe and the people of delta state?

IBB asserted that I am going to Delta State because of the special love I have for it. . . I am looking forward to going to Delta state because that is my ancestral home. I think that is enough for today

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/04/i-ll-run-for-2011-presidential-poll-says-babangida/
Re: Nupe by tpia5: 11:07pm On Jul 27, 2013
According to notes collected from the King of Illo and his council, the Bussawa formed part of a big migration from the kingdom of Badar, near Mecca, their King Kisira having opposed Muhammad the Prophet. It appears that they journeyed across the Sudan to Asben, where they broke off into many sections - the Bedde (Badr) settling down in Bornu, while others under the leadership of Kisira's descendants came further west and a large body settled under the chieftainship of three brothers at Bussa, Illo and Nikki. Another section, the Yoruba, continued southwards.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~rossjones12/pdfs/History%20of%20Borgu.PDF
Re: Nupe by tpia5: 11:10pm On Jul 27, 2013
At the time before Mahommed had conquered Mecca, Kisra, the king of the Persians, waged a war against Anabinuhu or the King of the Ruma (the Hellenic Romans) who had occupied Egypt. At first Kisra was the conqueror. But then Anabinuhu, who was an ally of the king of the Ruma, was the victor. Then Kisra fled up the Nile and came into the land of the King of Nupeta (Nubia). Kisra said to the King: I cannot return into my own country, because there the king of the Ruma would put me to death. Grant me permission to stay in your country. I have people with wadded armour and mail tunics to fight for you, if you let me remain. Nupata the King said: I will first hold talk with my Jin(spirit), my Jin is the Jin Issa (Jesus). King Nupata spoke with the Jin who told him: Let Kisra depart westwards and subdue all the land and follow him. Your father will keep guard over this country. But you yourself will be a great king in the west.

King Nupata called Kisra and said: Go in front and conquer all the nations in the west. My Jin said that I was to follow you. Kisra said: Thus will I do. Kisra set out with an array of his own warriors and a host of Nupata's men. he came to Borgu after a long journeying (Borgu on the Niger is meant). Nupata followed him at first as far as Gober. There he took unto himself a wife. She bore him a son, from whom all the Goberawa are descended
Re: Nupe by inuyasha01(m): 12:31pm On Jul 30, 2013
Proudly nupe smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nupe by tpia5: 2:13pm On Jul 30, 2013
What do you know of your history?
Re: Nupe by AliyuSIDI(m): 2:37am On Feb 09, 2020

(1) (Reply)

Video, Ohsisi Praising God, Igbo Style. / Do Anambra Men Marry Women From Other States? / Gimi Fulbe (fulani Music)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.