Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas (14333 Views)

Eastern Consultative Assembly Elects Nnamdi Kanu As New Leader / How Trump's Victory Will Benefit Eastern Nigeria By Tony Nnadi / List Of Performing Governors Of Eastern Nigeria At The Moment. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 1:36pm On Aug 12, 2015
I propose we come up with ideas we've had for development of eastern Nigeria on a macro level. I've seen bits of ideas floating around all over the politics section and I thought it would be wise if there's a central place people could chip in ideas. It's kind of tiring constantly fighting over politics, most of us wouldn't care much for politics if things were in place to development to occur or if Nigeria was moving in a right direction, so this should be a kind of shelter away from the usually extensive politics, although you can feel free to add political adivse and so on, but it should be for the concern of welfare and development, not merely seeking and office or an "Igbo president".

These ideas would be for infrastructure, transportation, heath, industry, education and so on. This is meant to be for ideas that can ideally be made, they don't have to be feasible now, they can be part of a wider/extended plan, so if you're talking about a tunnel to Bonny Island you're welcome. You never know who is reading or who has power to put things in place.

I encourage photos for case studies, but if you can provide mock ups or sketches or diagrams of your ideas/ideas for eastern Nigeria you've seen that would be perfect. Please if you're a female, we need you to contribute as well, usually you're not in these discussions.

Please if you have no ideas, do not comment.

4 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Nobody: 1:39pm On Aug 12, 2015
are you no more a one Nigeria campaigner, you should be talking of developing the whole of ur country and not only one region

let those of us gunning for Biafra bother about that, we are more interested in getting Biafra now than sharing developmental ideas with you as they would be jettisoned or sabotaged even before they are embarked upon.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 1:40pm On Aug 12, 2015
Let me start to get the ball rolling, the kind of ideas I was talking about include propose railways and what cities they would ideally run through, for example, I would suggest a east west train maybe linking to a wider West African corridor from Accra, that would run through Kwale and Owerri to Aba and Uyo then down to Calabar to run off to Cameroon, etc. This would be high speed rail, and the models don't have to be top of the range, just good enough to do their job.

[img]http://www.media.wireservice.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/zefiro-electric1.jpg[/img]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 1:41pm On Aug 12, 2015
Please if moderators are on here, I would appreciate hiding nonsense posts.

1 Like

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by PAINGAIN: 1:41pm On Aug 12, 2015
No we ain't saying anything here abeg. U want some "people" to come and copy us. Unless u say whatever u want to say/suggest in igbo. Speak/write in igbo only. Ka chineke mezie okwu.

13 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Nobody: 1:46pm On Aug 12, 2015
PAINGAIN:
No we ain't saying anything here abeg. U want some "people" to come and copy us. Unless u say whatever u want to say/suggest in igbo. Speak/write in igbo only. Ka chineke mezie okwu.
Nice.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Nobody: 1:48pm On Aug 12, 2015
Saying it here won't change much, let's all organize a meeting we NAIRALAND igbos and d rest igbos from d world somewhere with a legit venue and let's deliberate on how to move igbo land forward.

8 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Nobody: 1:48pm On Aug 12, 2015
meaning ?
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 1:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
PAINGAIN:

Well, if copying wouldn't hurt the original project, I don't really see the problem, and besides no one is really saying anything anywhere, there's no plan. I'm tired of flooded cities, and urban disasters. At least put something out there.

Ibaka Sea port

This is a model for the proposed Ibaka Deep sea port. I think it's imperative that everyone who could benefit from this aim to achieve the completion of this. There are several projects that have failed or look like they're failing in eastern Nigeria mostly because there was a lack of focus or people weren't unified enough to fight/protect something that would have potentially benefited all. The Ibaka sea port in my opinion should be the priority of everyone in eastern Nigeria, I believe this is more important than the so called second Niger bridge because the traffic over the Niger is usually carrying money and intellect away from eastern Nigeria. This is actually something that could be done now and it would drastically change the area.

9 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Nobody: 1:57pm On Aug 12, 2015
^^^i knew you were one of the saboteurs . so second Niger bridge is not important or is less importatnt, you are really crazy for making that comment
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Nobody: 2:02pm On Aug 12, 2015
@OP:
Nothing else will do me other than Republic of Biafra. Any developmental ideas within the "Experiment" will be dead on arrival.

See my post called: "My Biafra"
"https://www.nairaland.com/2436973/biafra#35632269"

Many thanks.

5 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by OfBiafra: 2:17pm On Aug 12, 2015
I'm afraid any development ideas now may be putting the cart before the horse.

The difficulty of defining the eastern region these days may tell the extent of this difficulty with the likes of Niger-delta and South-south putting a spanner in the wheels of the discourse.

However, if we take the idea of development loosely, I suppose a discourse on the boundaries of the eastern region which reflects our modern times may be a good start.

OfBiafra.

5 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Nobody: 2:31pm On Aug 12, 2015
aguiyi:
are you no more a one Nigeria campaigner, you should be talking of developing the whole of ur country and not only one region

let those of us gunning for Biafra bother about that, we are more interested in getting Biafra now than sharing developmental ideas with you as they would be jettisoned or sabotaged even before they are embarked upon.
What has developing Nigeria fetch us these past years if not insults and hatred. Let us think home. Afterall, Charity begins at home. Kudos to the likes of Innoson et al who have already started this phase, history will be fair to them. What is left for us now, is to keep bringing up ideas that can bring about that difference we want in our various communities down east. For instance, If I and some folks can start up a Palm oil export venture in my community, don't you think others may follow suit. For every palm oil plantation in the east, we can situate a Cosmetic and Soap manufacturing factory in the locality.
I know the current embargo of using the ports for economic activities in the east may be an hindrance. But, A booming eastern industry will automatically force open the Eastern ports for importation and exportation of raw materials. Yet, let us first start by thinking home. Let's think East, at least to prove to the 'Lagos na Yorubaland' chanters that we are indispensable.

16 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Nobody: 2:38pm On Aug 12, 2015
PAINGAIN:
Nsogbu adighi. Kanyi kwo n'Igbo. Obu na ogha enyi anyi ohere na nzuko ahu.

1 Like

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 2:40pm On Aug 12, 2015
The ideal first line would run like in the attached file, the line would be the main line connected to other urban centers in West Africa.

2 Likes

One thing I believe is missing in the whole of Nigeria are green parks where people can get away from various forms of pollution, it might not be a priority right now, but parks are important for balancing out air pollution and to allow some forms of wildlife to run free. Also greenery beautifies cities.

7 Likes

For more ideas.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 2:41pm On Aug 12, 2015
Right here.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 12, 2015
Chiwude:
What has developing Nigeria fetch us these past years if not insults and hatred. Let us think home. Afterall, Charity begins at home. Kudos to the likes of Innoson et al who have already started this phase, history will be fair to them. What is left for us now, is to keep bringing up ideas that can bring about that difference we want in our various communities down east. For instance, If I and some folks can start up a Palm oil export venture in my community, don't you think others may follow suit. For every palm oil plantation in the east, we can situate a Cosmetic and Soap manufacturing factory in the locality.
I know the current embargo of using the ports for economic activities in the east may be an hindrance. But, A booming eastern industry will automatically force open the Eastern ports for importation and exportation of raw materials. Yet, let us first start by thinking home. Let's think East, at least to prove to the 'Lagos na Yorubaland' chanters that we are indispensable.

the fellow i responded to is not a true igbo , probably another child who became igbo like rochas okorohausa

5 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 12, 2015
aguiyi:

the fellow i responded is not a true igbo , probably another child who became igbo like rochas okorohausa
Chai! Ugbua kam nwotara ihe n'ekwu. Ka obi gi dajuo.

5 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 4:16pm On Aug 12, 2015
aguiyi:

First I was listening to you Biafra guys, now I can see that you guys are actually insane and have no plan at all. And that's dangerous.

The city of Onitsha is the biggest commercial centre, I would suggest that the market should be moved further away from the highway and Bridgehead. Then other stall be moved in the interior of Onitsha, there's more land on the other side near Asaba so if the current Niger Bridge were to be restructured, there could be people moved over there. Currently, Onitsha is really badly structured and if you've been to Bridgehead you'd know how much of a chaotic place that is.

6 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by UncleJudax(m): 4:21pm On Aug 12, 2015
lygn19:
Saying it here won't change much, let's all organize a meeting we NAIRALAND igbos and d rest igbos from d world somewhere with a legit venue and let's deliberate on how to move igbo land forward.
Your head de house. Nice!
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 4:36pm On Aug 12, 2015
aguiyi:
^^^i knew you were one of the saboteurs . so second Niger bridge is not important or is less importatnt, you are really crazy for making that comment

I'm sorry, you do not have proper reasoning skills. What is the purpose of a second Niger bridge? Why is it such an issue to get a second Niger bridge? Is it not so people can run to the village for three days and then run back to live and work and therefore contribute to other regions? Do you know what capital flight is?

There are possibly other ports which could be upgraded and made into stronger ports such as Onne.

5 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 12, 2015
Nice points op:

Locomotive rails for eastern states: yes, eastern governors wanted a specific rail for trains that would run only in the eastern part of nigeria. This was suggested by Sullivan chime. The project was said to be too expensive and was squashed but I hope they revisit the idea after IGR of the eastern states increase.

Green parks: well, have seen green parks in the east especially onitsha. Although they're smallish, they can serve. The zik molouseum (dunno if I spelt that right) @ onitsha is also a green park

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 4:45pm On Aug 12, 2015
liberty300:
Nice points op:
Locomotive rails for eastern states: yes, eastern governors wanted a specific rail for trains that would run only in the eastern part of nigeria. This was suggested by Sullivan chime. The project was said to be too expensive and was squashed but I hope they revisit the idea after IGR of the eastern states increase.
Green parks: well, have seen green parks in the east especially onitsha. Although they're smallish, they can serve. The zik molouseum (dunno if I spelt that right) @ onitsha is also a green park

Nice, I think, as I've said before, the main focus now should be on Ibaka, that way we can start to increase revenue and so on form people coming back home. As for the green parks, I've seen the so called parks, but I think more expansive parks are needed, like to match the area size of Main market, and there should be a lot of nature conservations.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 12, 2015
East is really trying to beautify but they lack the resources and money. I hope in the future when the east is richer, we can upgrade

Below is a picture of the main road at new Haven, enugu: pic 1&2

The other is a tiny space of greeny at onitsha

2 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Omololu007(m): 5:25pm On Aug 12, 2015
If dis wia to b a yoruba thread,u for don c ibos postin nonsense pix
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 5:27pm On Aug 12, 2015
liberty300:
East is really trying to beautify but they lack the resources and money. I hope in the future when the east is richer, we can upgrade

Below is a picture of the main road at new Haven, enugu: pic 1&2

The other is a tiny space of greeny at onitsha

I see what you mean. I'd ideally like to clear a space and just make it a massive open park or even conservatory for animals and plant life.

As for beautifying, one of the biggest problems I've seen aesthetically is the excess use of cement (and therefore i kpuchi all the green areas) and there seems to always be harmattan dust every, if you look at the pictures, there's sand everywhere and everywhere has a brown tinge. I don't know how this can be helped, maybe browner buildings, stop using paint for the outside of urban buildings, but cladding of different materials instead, and the buildings should be built with cheaper but more durable cement grounding, instead of the waste of tiles and other pointless ground covering. And as we develop introduction of street sweepers and regularly maintaining ground coverings and such.

Something like these buildings, you can see not much goes into the cladding, and it's cheaper and sustainable in the long run because you don't have to constantly repaint. The cheaper cement ground cladding can also be seen.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 5:36pm On Aug 12, 2015
I'll suggest case study cities from around the world who have similar characteristics as certain cities in eastern Nigeria.

[size=18pt]Case Study 1: Onitsha | Singapore[/size]

Similarities: Heavy population density with limited space for growth. Some access to water or waterside, heavy commercial centre and (for Ontisha) potential business centre). Independent economy, as in, their economies aren't as tied to other places like some other cities are. Cities grew from villages/fishing communities.

Lessons to be learnt: Population control. Pollution control, including waste management. Transportation and logistics (including manoeuvring international airports and highways). Managing diversity (maybe not so much for Onitsha). Utilising the water not just as an international/national port, but for transportation within the city limits a bit further beyond. Space management and building space saving housing (Onitsha has high rises but they can be upgraded and later on in development skyscrapers can be introduced for financial services, business, and so).
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by yang(m): 5:43pm On Aug 12, 2015
If you allow me to come into the argument, there are short-term and long term solution to problems.

Ibaka and onne and obuaku seaports can be seen as medium to long-term solutions of the problem. . . 5 - 10 years

SNB is a short term solution . . . 3-5 years.

Both projects are very very important.

I used to live in asaba and work in onitsha and it was always a mess coming home from work to cross the bridge every evening due to mad traffic.

This clearly will stop with SNB in the short term

Also in December, the bridge is a major source of worry.

what is clear is that we cannot leave behind to our children, a society which discriminates against them or a society which denies them their basic freedom or a society where they have to trave 800 miles to Lagos to bring in a Krones filler, when they decide to start a company of their dreams.

ezeagu:

I'm sorry, you do not have proper reasoning skills. What is the purpose of a second Niger bridge? Why is it such an issue to get a second Niger bridge? Is it not so people can run to the village for three days and then run back to live and work and therefore contribute to other regions? Do you know what capital flight is?

There are possibly other ports which could be upgraded and made into stronger ports such as Onne.

5 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 5:47pm On Aug 12, 2015
yang:
If you allow me to come into the argument, there are short-term and long term solution to problems.

Ibaka and onne and obuaku seaports can be seen as medium to long-term solutions of the problem. . . 5 - 10 years

SNB is a short term solution . . . 3-5 years.

Both projects are very very important.

I used to live in asaba and work in onitsha and it was always a mess coming home from work to cross the bridge every evening due to mad traffic.

This clearly will stop with SNB in the short term

Also in December, the bridge is a major source of worry.

what is clear is that we cannot leave behind to our children, a society which discriminates against them or a society which denies them their basic freedom or a society where they have to trave 800 miles to Lagos to bring in a Krones filler, when they decide to start a company of their dreams.

Good point. The two issues affect each other, people use the bridge too much because they have to travel to Lagos to do business because of the port. I guess they can be fought for hand in hand, but I think the way things are set up now it has to be one or the other (for now) and I'd go for the seaport. Of course, ideally, both should already be in an advanced stage of construction.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Immortalise My Father, Saraki’s Sister Begs Kwara Gov-elect / Buhari: Cyber Terrorists Causing Anxiety In Nigeria / Senate Passes Criminal Justice Bill, Confirms Nweze Supreme Court Justice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.