Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas (14355 Views)

Eastern Consultative Assembly Elects Nnamdi Kanu As New Leader / How Trump's Victory Will Benefit Eastern Nigeria By Tony Nnadi / List Of Performing Governors Of Eastern Nigeria At The Moment. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 5:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
I'm glad to see actual brains coming out on this thread, this will not be in vain, I know this. Ishilove, Seun, whoever, please, can you hide some of the disruptive posts on this thread? Thank you.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by vicenzo(m): 5:51pm On Aug 12, 2015
aguiyi:
^^^i knew you were one of the saboteurs . so second Niger bridge is not important or is less importatnt, you are really crazy for making that comment

All second Niger bridge will do is to increase our people's dependence on Lagos ports and the attendant industries ports attract,leaving our region drained of industries and the employment opportunities that comes with them.

One Niger bridge is enough to connect the western Igboland to the Eastern Igboland, for now, that should be the main function of Niger bridge.

The money to be spent on second Niger bridge is better spent building a sea port in the East, I prefer Obuaku port for obvious reasons, but I will have no problem if it is spent on Ibaka.

An Eastern port will see a major industrial and commercial re distribution and a population re distribution towards the East, which will in turn reduce the traffic in the Niger bridge.

We should be expanding towards Central and East Africa, that's our traditional route, not towards West Africa.

6 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 5:53pm On Aug 12, 2015
vicenzo:
We should be expanding towards Central and East Africa, that's our traditional route, not towards West Africa.

If we could do both, why not? A jula ego. Asaba - Frankfurt case study coming.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by vicenzo(m): 6:01pm On Aug 12, 2015
ezeagu:

If we could do both, why not? A jula ego. Asaba - Frankfurt case study coming.

Sure we can always spread our tentacles East, West, North and South.

But I expect a very competitive Odua, having a geographical advantage over us, in terms of the western expansion.

We have a geographical advantage towards central Africa. It would be more profitable to work towards our comparative advantage.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 6:03pm On Aug 12, 2015
[size=18pt]Case Study 2: Asaba | Frankfurt[/size]

Similarities: A more 'relaxed' commercial centre that's part of a heavy industrial metropolitan area that is Asaba-Onitsha-Nnewi-Awka. Frankfurt is in the Frankfurt Rhine-Main Metropolitan Region. Asaba can be a potential airport centre like Frankfurts airpot, one of the busiest airports in Europe. Asaba is also a centre of business, and can become more of a financial district than Onitsha I suppose.

Lessons to be learnt: Transportation, including airport expansion and handling excess air and road traffic from international destinations and the local region around. As with all the case studies, Asaba can learn from urban planning and also using the Niger River to its advantage, perhaps ferry's and well built civilian water carriers can be used as an alternative to road travel across the river. A possible Niger tunnel could be built in the more distant future.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 6:05pm On Aug 12, 2015
vicenzo:

Sure we can always spread our tentacles East, West, North and South.

But I expect a very competitive Odua, having a geographical advantage over us, in terms of the western expansion.

We have a geographical advantage towards central Africa. It would be more profitable to work towards our comparative advantage.

I think you're right. And historical eastern Nigeria has always faced eastwards. I think those of eastern Nigeria descent should start using their advantage in places like Gabon and Equatorial Guinea, eastern Nigerian already have foothold in those places and even down to Kinshasa, in fact, the whole of Africa really.

2 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by vicenzo(m): 6:14pm On Aug 12, 2015
The major issue we currently have in the East is the dearth of credible and Informed leaders with foresight,leaders that burn with desire to uplift the socioeconomic condition of the region.

Its obvious these leaders abound within us. The problem is, how do we identify and elect them to bring about this transformation we seek.

Behind every great country are great leaders who burned with desires to will that which was in imagination, into reality.

Without this, nothing can be achieved, we will only end up exactly where we started.

1 Like

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by abagoro(m): 6:22pm On Aug 12, 2015
ezeagu:
I propose we come up with ideas we've had for development of eastern Nigeria on a macro level. I've seen bits of ideas floating around all over the politics section and I thought it would be wise if there's a central place people could chip in ideas. It's kind of tiring constantly fighting over politics, most of us wouldn't care much for politics if things were in place to development to occur or if Nigeria was moving in a right direction, so this should be a kind of shelter away from the usually extensive politics, although you can feel free to add political adivse and so on, but it should be for the concern of welfare and development, not merely seeking and office or an "Igbo president".

These ideas would be for infrastructure, transportation, heath, industry, education and so on. This is meant to be for ideas that can ideally be made, they don't have to be feasible now, they can be part of a wider/extended plan, so if you're talking about a tunnel to Bonny Island you're welcome. You never know who is reading or who has power to put things in place.

I encourage photos for case studies, but if you can provide mock ups or sketches or diagrams of your ideas/ideas for eastern Nigeria you've seen that would be perfect. Please if you're a female, we need you to contribute as well, usually you're not in these discussions.

Please if you have no ideas, do not comment.

The ideas and capabilities are there but the most important is peace and unity. As for now every village wants to be everything at the same time and the preachers never see any good in synergy.

Nothing will come out of your proposal without we 1st of all seeing ourselves as one and equal and mapping out our boundaries.

1 Like

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 6:24pm On Aug 12, 2015
vicenzo:
The major issue we currently have in the East is the dearth of credible and Informed leaders with foresight,leaders that burn with desire to uplift the socioeconomic condition of the region.

Its obvious these leaders abound within us. The problem is, how do we identify and elect them to bring about this transformation we seek.

Behind every great country are great leaders who burned with desires to will that which was in imagination, into reality.

Without this, nothing can be achieved, we will only end up exactly where we started.

I know why in Nigeria we like state, but I honestly believe in Nigeria as a whole we have too many state, the Imo and Abia for example should be one state, same from Akwa Ibom and Cross River, and Enugu and Anambra or Enugu and Ebony. Why I'm saying this is because when there are more people or a group of people it's been proven that people feel less accountable for anything that goes wrong, if we had less LGA's less states and the like we would have less people to hold accountable and they'd be put under a little more pressure. Also, for example, if there was a really good governor they would be elected to look over a larger area than they can today.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 6:25pm On Aug 12, 2015
abagoro:

The ideas and capabilities are there but the most important is peace and unity. As for now every village wants to be everything at the same time and the preachers never see any good in synergy.

Nothing will come out of your proposal without we 1st of all seeing ourselves as one and equal and mapping out our boundaries.

Well, it's not really me proposal, your proposal is part of the proposal. So if that is a step you think is needed for progress (and I agree with you) then we should ideally tackle it.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by abagoro(m): 6:26pm On Aug 12, 2015
vicenzo:

We have great leaders, astute businessmen, distinguished technocrats and credible academicians but they just like all of us can never work together. If only we can work together, I alone can make a big contribution without seeking profit.

1 Like

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by nwadiuko1(m): 6:28pm On Aug 12, 2015
Seeing that in eastern Nigeria every state has its selling point or edge above others.....I say we take advantage of such selling points in siting industries or facilities........take calabar (in cross river) for example....it will be placing round pegs in square holes to build manufacturing industries there knowing fully well that the place is "un paradisee sur terre" (hope I got that right) a paradise on earth....and best suited for tourism, hotels, ranchs and stuffs....
Enugu and cross river shares same qualities
Abia, anambra ( trade, manufacturing etc)
On and on and on.......hope someone understands what am saying

4 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 6:37pm On Aug 12, 2015
nwadiuko1:
Seeing that in eastern Nigeria every state has its selling point or edge above others.....I say we take advantage of such selling points in siting industries or facilities........take calabar (in cross river) for example....it will be placing round pegs in square holes to build manufacturing industries there knowing fully well that the place is "un paradisee sur terre" (hope I got that right) a paradise on earth....and best suited for tourism, hotels, ranchs and stuffs....
Enugu and cross river shares same qualities
Abia, anambra ( trade, manufacturing etc)
On and on and on.......hope someone understands what am saying

We understand. That's why I'm making case studies for different cities. Calabar is a sort of Miami-Cannes-Havana kind of place.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by vicenzo(m): 6:42pm On Aug 12, 2015
ezeagu:

I know why in Nigeria we like state, but I honestly believe in Nigeria as a whole we have too many state, the Imo and Abia for example should be one state, same from Akwa Ibom and Cross River, and Enugu and Anambra or Enugu and Ebony. Why I'm saying this is because when there are more people or a group of people it's been proven that people feel less accountable for anything that goes wrong, if we had less LGA's less states and the like we would have less people to hold accountable and they'd be put under a little more pressure. Also, for example, if there was a really good governor they would be elected to look over a larger area than they can today.

You see, Agbachakwa egwu, ona n'ukwu.

There is something fundamentally wrong with Nigeria. And this is why it will never be a great country. Nigeria needs restructuring, but to do that, you will strike at the very thing that made some people yearn for "One Nigeria".

The demand for more states and the reason we have many states is because of lack of fiscal federalism, the amount of state you have determines the amount of Senators, LGAs, house of rep members you have, it also determines how much you get from the FG monthly and appointments into civil service, ministers, Ambassadors even things like NDA admission, siting of federal institutions like Universities / University teaching hospitals, and FMCs.

If every region is allowed to manage her resources on her own, no monthly "bambilala" to Abuja, equal representation at the national assembly, etc.
People will see more reason to unite and save the cost of governance, but with the way Nigeria is structured, it will be stupidity to merge states in your region, you will lose out.

1 Like

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by 2sex(m): 7:34pm On Aug 12, 2015
A wise man would build his house for the rainy day as he knows not when he shall be very needy of it.

OP, may your days be long. This is what I have been saying. It's shame , as this thread has shown, that those clamoring for BIAFRA's disintegration have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to offer... Because they have nothing to lose.

I read the first few post from fools who think that their entourage would soon clamp down on this thread and disrupt the whole place with their usual Biafra chants.

My suggestion in a few weeks discussion sometime back is EXACTLY what you have done here.

But the fools who have no direction of sort didn't see anything good... How could they when they practically have NOTHING to offer?

BIAFRA BIAFRA... How can you build the biafra, they can't answer.

It leaves me shamefully wondering if IGBOS are arrogant lots? Who are these hydrA-headed babarians? I ask myself.

The Nnamdi Kanu has not in anyway sponsor a single brother in order to make them have a better taste of life, but he is about to use them to wreak havoc.

We have education of the head and of the heart, clearly, Nnamdi Kanu is not heartily educated.

I said why don't we build our home FIRST and turn it into the Japan or Dubai of the future. So that when we decide to the leave. The world will give us a NOD!

Of course we do not need a federal government to attain this. Everybody who dream of a better biafra has their quota to contribute. This isn't the civil war era... This 2015 and we should act out times intelligently.

God bless you OP.

7 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by chinology: 7:49pm On Aug 12, 2015
I don't know where you are getting your gibberish but Onitsha is among the few most planned/structured cities in Nigeria. I don't know when last you visited Onitsha Headbridge because if you have been there in the last few months you will see that it has been transformed into a serene welcoming green park with its good road networks, the same with Upper Iweka, Zik's Junction and most part of the city. The urban renewal is presently ongoing in all parts of city. Below is the Headbridge and some google earth structure of the city.

ezeagu:

First I was listening to you Biafra guys, now I can see that you guys are actually insane and have no plan at all. And that's dangerous.

The city of Onitsha is the biggest commercial centre, I would suggest that the market should be moved further away from the highway and Bridgehead. Then other stall be moved in the interior of Onitsha, there's more land on the other side near Asaba so if the current Niger Bridge were to be restructured, there could be people moved over there. Currently, Onitsha is really badly structured and if you've been to Bridgehead you'd know how much of a chaotic place that is.

2 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 12, 2015
First, I am not from Eastern Nigeria but if I see something commendable, I must commend it.

Mr. Ezeagu you have done a great job on this thread. Your plans are great. My advice to you is to compile them and send them to the office of the president. A group of young northerners did exactly that and the President commended them and promised to "use" some of their ideologies. This is how nations are built. Please ignore those okrika selling illiterates making noise about biafra.

2 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 12, 2015
chinology:
I don't know where you are getting your gibberish but Onitsha is among the few most planned/structured cities in Nigeria. I don't when last you visited Onitsha Headbridge because if you have been there in last few months you will see that it has been transformed into a green park, the same with Upper Iweka, Zik's Junction and most part of the city. The urban renewal is presently ongoing in all parts of city.

The flowers and green grasses at Onitsha Headbridge and Upper Iweka does not make them green parks. Go seek education.

2 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by asha80(m): 8:02pm On Aug 12, 2015
vicenzo:

You see, Agbachakwa egwu, ona n'ukwu.

There is something fundamentally wrong with Nigeria. And this is why it will never be a great country. Nigeria needs restructuring, but to do that, you will strike at the very thing that made some people yearn for "One Nigeria".

The demand for more states and the reason we have many states is because of lack of fiscal federalism, the amount of state you have determines the amount of Senators, LGAs, house of rep members you have, it also determines how much you get from the FG monthly and appointments into civil service, ministers, Ambassadors even things like NDA admission, siting of federal institutions like Universities / University teaching hospitals, and FMCs.

If every region is allowed to manage her resources on her own, no monthly "bambilala" to Abuja, equal representation at the national assembly, etc.
People will see more reason to unite and save the cost of governance, but with the way Nigeria is structured, it will be stupidity to merge states in your region, you will lose out.

what you just wrote is the biggest problem we have both in the east and nigeria..some dont even understand why one should generate their own resources

1 Like

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by chinology: 8:02pm On Aug 12, 2015
I think you need the education more. Green park is green park, but what you should be talking about is the size of the green park compare to the ones as seen in UK or US and other advanced countries.

NaijaTalkTown:
The flowers and green grasses at Onitsha Headbridge and Upper Iweka does not make them green parks. Go seek education.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 8:11pm On Aug 12, 2015
chinology:
I don't know where you are getting your gibberish but Onitsha is among the few most planned/structured cities in Nigeria. I don't when last you visited Onitsha Headbridge because if you have been there in last few months you will see that it has been transformed into a serene welcoming green park with its good road network, the same with Upper Iweka, Zik's Junction and most part of the city. The urban renewal is presently ongoing in all parts of city. Below is the Headbridge and some google earth structure of the city.

Straight roads are different from planning. That Onitsha was built on a grid plan doesn't mean it's automatically better planned. London is not a grid system but has better infrastructure than New York. If Bridgehead is truly being restructured, then that's great, but I still think there's a lot of drastic restructuring to take place taking the market people into account. And a central reservation with some grass is different from an actual park.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by chinology: 8:13pm On Aug 12, 2015
If you like use semantics from the moon or the ionosphere that is your business but it does not change the fact that Onitsha is among the few most planned/structured cities in Nigeria. London has better infrastructure than New York?? This is the same reason why Yorubas are making mess of some of you i.diots everyday on NL.

ezeagu:

Straight roads are different from planning. That Onitsha was built on a grid plan doesn't mean it's automatically better planned. London is not a grid system but has better infrastructure than New York. If Bridgehead is truly being restructured, then that's great, but I still think there's a lot of drastic restructuring to take place taking the market people into account.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by Nobody: 8:15pm On Aug 12, 2015
chinology:
I think you need the education more. Green park is green park, but what you should be talking about is the size of the green park compare to the ones as seen in UK or US and other advanced countries.

Green grass is not green park. Can you host a picnic in the so called green park at upper iweka? Does it attract tourists? Does it combat the pollution from near by areas? Nwoke go educate yourself. If you no gree nwannem gbawa door. I no send you.

1 Like

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by asha80(m): 8:16pm On Aug 12, 2015
ezeagu:

Straight roads are different from planning. That Onitsha was built on a grid plan doesn't mean it's automatically better planned. London is not a grid system but has better infrastructure than New York. If Bridgehead is truly being restructured, then that's great, but I still think there's a lot of drastic restructuring to take place taking the market people into account. And a central reservation with some grass is different from an actual park.
sure about London having better infrastructure than new York?..i still think the issue of exclusive list should be revisited for any meaningful thing to happen...the country at the moment is structured for consumption and sharing rather than wealth creating and development
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 8:17pm On Aug 12, 2015
chinology:
If you like use semantics from the moon or the ionosphere that is your business but it does not change the fact that Onitsha is among the few most planned/structured cities in Nigeria.

Chino, you're very belligerent, and if you're not being paid for it, your obsession with defending all things Anambra to the point of tearing down other parts of eastern Nigeria is very strange, so I'm going to let you have this one for the sake of moving on this thread. I hope you oblige.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 8:19pm On Aug 12, 2015
2sex:
A wise man would build his house for the rainy day as he knows not when he shall be very needy of it.

OP, may your days be long. This is what I have been saying. It's shame , as this thread has shown, that those clamoring for BIAFRA's disintegration have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to offer... Because they have nothing to lose.

I read the first few post from fools who think that their entourage would soon clamp down on this thread and disrupt the whole place with their usual Biafra chants.

My suggestion in a few weeks discussion sometime back is EXACTLY what you have done here.

But the fools who have no direction of sort didn't see anything good... How could they when they practically have NOTHING to offer?

BIAFRA BIAFRA... How can you build the biafra, they can't answer.

It leaves me shamefully wondering if IGBOS are arrogant lots? Who are these hydrA-headed babarians? I ask myself.

The Nnamdi Kanu has not in anyway sponsor a single brother in order to make them have a better taste of life, but he is about to use them to wreak havoc.

We have education of the head and of the heart, clearly, Nnamdi Kanu is not heartily educated.

I said why don't we build our home FIRST and turn it into the Japan or Dubai of the future. So that when we decide to the leave. The world will give us a NOD!

Of course we do not need a federal government to attain this. Everybody who dream of a better biafra has their quota to contribute. This isn't the civil war era... This 2015 and we should act out times intelligently.

God bless you OP.

Thanks. We need foresight, I was actually hesitantly listening to these Biafra guys at first, then I saw there was no plan except for shouting down other parts of Nigeria and I was convinced this was not the way. Looking out for development is far more important than any show of ego.

1 Like

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by chinology: 8:19pm On Aug 12, 2015
Hmmm! Go and kill yourself clown but you need education in your life..daft! LOL

NaijaTalkTown:
Green grass is not green park. Can you host a picnic in the so called green park at upper iweka? Does it attract tourists? Does it combat the pollution from near by areas? Nwoke go educate yourself. If you no gree nwannem gbawa door. I no send you.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by ezeagu(m): 8:21pm On Aug 12, 2015
asha80:
sure about London having better infrastructure than new York?..i still think the issue of exclusive list should be revisited for any meaningful thing to happen...the country at the moment is structured for consumption and sharing rather than wealth creating and development

Well, it doesn't beat London's transport. How would the country realistically be restructured?
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by chinology: 8:22pm On Aug 12, 2015
Think whatever you want I am not interested but if you wanna discuss and proffer ideas that can take the region to the next level be my guest. You started well by talking about speed train etc

ezeagu:

Chino, you're very belligerent, and if you're not being paid for it, your obsession with defending all things Anambra to the point of tearing down other parts of eastern Nigeria is very strange, so I'm going to let you have this one for the sake of moving on this thread. I hope you oblige.
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by nwadiuko1(m): 8:24pm On Aug 12, 2015
NaijaTalkTown:
pls no insults......its brothers discussing......
Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by asha80(m): 8:26pm On Aug 12, 2015
ezeagu:

Well, it doesn't beat London's transport. How would the country realistically be restructured?
simply allow states to have the rights to be in charge of every available resources within its domain..state and fg can agree on the taxes to be remitted to fg to take care of foreign affairs,military and the likes..problem however is that unlike in usa and Germany states here were created by FG rather than coming together to form a country like the earlier countries I mentioned

2 Likes

Re: Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas by investnow2013: 8:45pm On Aug 12, 2015
What about linking the whole states in the east with better road connections which I think is much cheaper than other ideas!.Let take for instance Enugu & Anambra State can be linked in about six different areas by road!.This can open their local economics!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Military Coup Thwarted Shagari's Planned Handover To Ekwueme- Obiano / Coronavirus: INEC To Shift Edo, Ondo Governorship Elections / North-East Govs Bemoan Inability To Try Boko Haram Suspects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.