Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,827 members, 7,806,321 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:45 PM

Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! (62162 Views)

Strictly Discounted Prices On Solar & Power Inverter Materials. / Ask Me Anything On Solar,come In If You Need Solar Panels, / Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Omotayor123(f): 10:20am On Aug 13, 2015
Thanks..
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by EmmaOgbu(m): 10:20am On Aug 13, 2015
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by YellowBastard: 10:20am On Aug 13, 2015
geesampower:
Yeah, it's Geesam again. Here to make sure you are informed.
In business, PARKAGING and SECRECY are very important in EXploiting consumers
You see a lot of solar power offers especially on online store especially the popular ones here in nigeria. Many are just carefully packaged offers that are nothing what they promise. You get them and develop the notion that solar power is not reliable.

Solar power is Expensive ( but still cheaper than generators anyway) so before you pay for any solar generator, solar power installation, or anything related, here are tips to ensure you get value for the good money you are paying.

Get this right and you will regret wasting money all these years on petrol/diesel generators.

Solar power is reliable, lasts longer than any generator you could ever buy and is a class of it's own.

Solar power is much cheaper than fueling a generator for 10years.

You won't regret investing in one if you get your facts right.

I will answer ANY, I mean ANY question you may have on solar power.

Pls no adverts here and don't ask me for my phone number or mail. Ask your questions here and I will answer here

If you have any challenges or dissatisfaction with your solar power installation, pls bring it here and let me proffer solutions

Thank you.

You really hit the nail on the head! We solar power people find it challenging to sell a good businesses because some people want to cut corners. For your inverters and solar panels contacts us via http://dreamingnigeria..in/2015/06/the-solar-power-solution.html
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by charlesbailey(m): 10:20am On Aug 13, 2015
points noted,, thanks
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by TheBestGovernor: 10:22am On Aug 13, 2015
One thing that the OP mentioned that I like so much is the information on the solar charge controllers. Many people don't this fact, NEVER BUY a PWM charge controller, it will give you a lot of headache, instead, be ready to buy a PMMT charge controller no matter the amount.

PMMT charge controllers may cost 3 times the price of a PWM charge controller, but the benefits are enormous. PMMT charge controllers ensures that you have optimum power conversion from the solar panels. If you are not ready to buy a PMMT charge controller, don't install solar panels

The OP did not mention cable sizing, this also an important aspect you need to consider when installing solar panels especially when distance of termination (connection) points is far apart. Small cables will drop voltages which will eventually affect the overall power delivered to your load(s).

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by sellYourCar: 10:25am On Aug 13, 2015
Brilliant!....very useful information
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by gbenson(m): 10:27am On Aug 13, 2015
europowerng(dot)com you wont regret it.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Marv650(m): 10:32am On Aug 13, 2015
Ok next topic
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by DonXavi(m): 10:33am On Aug 13, 2015
H
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Xmen149(m): 10:37am On Aug 13, 2015
Konnektions146:
The major issue with solar power system as you said is the sellers, installers can just be too greedy.

I also blame customers for failing to be realistic, I have encountered customers that you tell the truth about how much backup power they get with their budget and split all in details and they won't call back, weeks later they come to tell you that they fell into the hands of swindlers or that solar power don't work.

E.g. someone wants a system that will power for 24hrs his 3bedroom flat with 2 ACs and all lighting points and electronics , his budget is 400k. How possible.

Some installers also collect money that would build a very robust and stable system and finally settle for a mediocre .

I always say this to customers, if you need a backup power, its affordable, but if you need a fully independent power solutions, then its a PROJECT.

let's be realistic and considerate

well spoken....i always tell my customers to their face how expensive it is..and show them pictures of brand i deal on yet the will go for cheap stuffs and later call me to come and troubleshoot....same way a man got an installation with batteries that dnt even have its rating printed on it talk of the make...now he is calling me after his installation fail within 3months......if you dont have the money,please dnt go for it,better still get an inverter backup system only and charge with phcn (good products available at good price sef) and save your self the stress

1 Like

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Obeenah(m): 10:40am On Aug 13, 2015
Good you identified some key issues. However you mentioned KVa and not KW. The difference being that generators use KVA while solar uses KW.

The difference being that KW is of a higher rating compared to KVA. Simple reason why a 2kw solar energy system would require a Generator of about 3.5 to 4kva to match up to.

Another thing you identified are the batteries. Standard issues for my company is 2 x 120v 200ah batteries per kilowatts so basically you multiply the batteries who's us 2 x the amount of kilowatts. So example a 1kw system would come with 2 x 120v x 200ah batteries which is 400ah.

The components come with the solar panels, charge controller, inverter, battery pack and rack. That's the real deal anything less us a sham.

Once again thank you for identifying that solar is a far better alternative compared to generators. Ask me any questions on solar. Call 08035125915 or email : victor.nwosu@solynta.com.ng

Thank you

3 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 10:40am On Aug 13, 2015
lalasticlala:

grin
Thanks
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Nobody: 10:41am On Aug 13, 2015
i am thinking of getting solar panel.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 10:43am On Aug 13, 2015
Obeenah:
Good you identified some key issues. However you mentioned KVa and not KW. The difference being that generators use KVA while solar uses KW.

The difference being that KW is of a higher rating compared to KVA. Simple reason why a 2kw solar energy system would require a Generator of about 3.5 to 4kva to match up to.

Another thing you identified are the batteries. Standard issues for my company is 2 x 120v 200ah batteries per kilowatts so basically you multiply the batteries who's us 2 x the amount of kilowatts. So example a 1kw system would come with 2 x 120v x 200ah batteries which is 400ah.

The components come with the solar panels, charge controller, inverter, battery pack and rack. That's the real deal anything less us a sham.

Once again thank you for identifying that solar is a far better alternative compared to generators. Ask me any questions on solar. Call 08035125915 or email : victor.nwosu@solynta.com.ng

Thank you
True and not true. On the dc end it is strictly KW but we don't use DC conventionally so KVA is appropriate as inverters can be rated in kva by multiplying the power (kw) of the inverter by the power factor of the inverter.

Thank you

6 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Xmen149(m): 10:46am On Aug 13, 2015
To make it easier for one,.get inverter backup system first..(you can buy inverter and keep when you have enough money you buy batteries),.and as money comes you can buy pocket friendly rating of pannel and controller(with view of what your final load will be)and add to the setup as on-grid system just to...with time you add more pannels and decide if to go completely off-grid..........you wount feel the pain that much and still get quality too

6 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 10:47am On Aug 13, 2015
lovemko:

oga... u no hear wen d op say no advert?
pls move your post lets us see road!

eh, op pls were are u ohh... some persons have been droping quedtions dat require answers
Thanks
Let's start answering them.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 10:50am On Aug 13, 2015
Emmanuel950:
U will hear nwiiii the day it will rain..
That is why we calculate autonomy. If solar does not work in rainy weather there won't be solar power "farms" powering wholes cities.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by elmajor(m): 10:51am On Aug 13, 2015
geesampower:

Pls no adverts here and don't ask me for my phone number or mail. Ask your questions here and I will answer here.

I appreciate the information ur have provided to someone like me without an electrical background. Geesam, I've got a question.
If I have a freezer, pressing iron, TV set, water-heater and about 20 energy-saving bulbs, all powered on, how many kva solar power is required?
Again, how many 'ah' and 'w' make 1kva?
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Kingsley4all(m): 10:52am On Aug 13, 2015
I like them solar products. I use them in my house ranging form rechargeable lantern to Laptop power bank. They are Good
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by ITbomb(m): 10:55am On Aug 13, 2015
With a guaranteed NEPA light of at least 8 hours every day, do I still need a solar panel?

Can the charge take me through the day with these specs = 2 200aH battery in a carefully managed electric system that will consume less than 1kva (2 laptops, fan, 2 energy saving bulb, home theater, flat screen TV and some small DC charging points
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 10:57am On Aug 13, 2015
DankemzI:
How much solar power can power a 4 storey building with lifts,... Water included
The size of a building does not determine the power requirement, we need to know the actual power consumption/rating of the facilities in the building then a solar power solution can be designed to meet your requirement. When we have that then I give you a design, the components needed and the cost. Thank you

3 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by onelife97: 10:57am On Aug 13, 2015
@op,pls I'd like to know how much can one spend on solar energy to power let's say up to 8 bedrooms,3 large living rooms,3 kitchens,all include up to 5 air conditioners,4 refrigerators,let's say 3 microwave ovens,and other small electrical appliances for a up to 24 hours uninterrupted power supply.

Thx in advance

1 Like

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by dozymars(m): 10:58am On Aug 13, 2015
Check out this Company. They offer good Inverter and Solar Installation Service. www.inverternigeria.com
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 11:00am On Aug 13, 2015
sandrel:
Nice one op,God bless your my dear!
Amen. Thnx
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Xmen149(m): 11:05am On Aug 13, 2015
another resson that results to high cost in solar power design is,..when people hear FREE ENERGY they will want to power everything in the house including their cloth if possible (even the ones they dont need to be on or until phcn supply comes),..the more load you add,.the more your cost.......power what is mostly needed over a period of time
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 11:06am On Aug 13, 2015
femadelim:
@OP, Where can i get a good one with 5kv capacity am in owerri
There are many good store online and offline to get your solar products. As said, we won't be advertising on this thread (though some shameless people are doing that already). The important thing is to use the right products and correct specifications regardless of where u bought them and get installed by someone that knows what he's doing.

1 Like

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by kinzodigital: 11:09am On Aug 13, 2015
geesampower:
You see a lot of solar power offers especially on online store especially the popular ones here in nigeria. Many are just carefully packaged offers that are nothing what they promise. You get them and develop the notion that solar power is not reliable.

Solar power is Expensive ( but still cheaper than generators anyway) so before you pay for any solar generator, solar power installation, or anything related, here are tips to ensure you get value for the good money you are paying.
Hello, thanks for your educative piece.
I want solar power energy supply in my property of 6 Bedroom duplex and twin 3 bedroom flats.
Can you kindly advise and give me a quote of everthing i need to have a hitch-free solar power supply.
The property will have split A/Cs and refrigerators.
Kindly help with the total KVAs,number of panels,inverters, batteries and any other thing required.Recommended trusted brand names will be highly appreciated.Approximate cost for a complete set up can be added as a guide,please.Thanks in advance

Get this right and you will regret wasting money all these years on petrol/diesel generators.

Solar power is reliable, lasts longer than any generator you could ever buy and is a class of it's own.

Pls no adverts here and don't ask me for my phone number or mail. Ask your questions here and I will answer here

If you have any challenges or dissatisfaction with your solar power installation, pls bring it here and let me proffer solutions

Thank you.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by jaz(m): 11:09am On Aug 13, 2015
@ op.

so how much does it cost to set up a 10kva and 20 kva solar alternative, which runs for 24 hours ?
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by xklucvG: 11:12am On Aug 13, 2015
geesampower:

Thank you.
Is 1000 watts inverter same thing as 1kva inverter?
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 11:20am On Aug 13, 2015
kayo80:
OP, pls how much would it cost me to get solar panels/solar power fixed for a 2 bedroom apartment... 1 fridge, 1 freezer, 3 air-conditioning units, and some lighter electrical appliances? And what is the cost of maintenance over the years? Thank you.
Air conditioning means 'money'. The reason is 1hp air conditioner consumes about 1200W so 3 will be 3600W plus 1200w for the fridge and freezer + 1000w for lights, tv and the rest. You will need 10kw system at least (better to over size so that over heating does not damage your inverter).
For a system u won't need to service in 5 to 8years.
This would require at least 16 205ah batteries, 24 250W panels, a 10kw inverter and 80A charge controller. Cost would be about N3m

Without the AC, 3kw system would have been perfect. Starting with N900,000 you can achieve this

2 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by frehage: 11:20am On Aug 13, 2015
TheBestGovernor:
One thing that the OP mentioned that I like so much is the information on the solar charge controllers. Many people don't this fact, NEVER BUY a PWM charge controller, it will give you a lot of headache, instead, be ready to buy a PMMT charge controller no matter the amount.

PMMT charge controllers may cost 3 times the price of a PWM charge controller, but the benefits are enormous. PMMT charge controllers ensures that you have optimum power conversion from the solar panels. If you are not ready to buy a PMMT charge controller, don't install solar panels

The OP did not mention cable sizing, this also an important aspect you need to consider when installing solar panels especially when distance of termination (connection) points is far apart. Small cables will drop voltages which will eventually affect the overall power delivered to your load(s).

Please are the effects of the type of charge controller used limited to solar power or it also affects wind power systems for homes?

And what's the cost of a 5000W pure sine wave inverter?

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Space Crew Return To Very Different Earth / Giant Turtle Crawls Into Man's Compound In Bayelsa State. Photos / Hamza Abubakar Ningi Manufactures A Solar Stove In Bauchi (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.