Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,492 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:10 PM

See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From (6559 Views)

Beggars In Kano State Return To Streets / Dele Momodu: "I Don't Care If All Buhari's Appointments Come From Daura" / Shehu Sani Interacts With Beggars In Kaduna (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 8:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
This study was conducted several years ago by two SW academics (see their names and institution below) using Kano, Enugu and Ibadan as typical North, SE and SW cities
Here is the interesting SUMMARY:
A lot of northerners beg in SW and SE
More SEners (2%) beg in SW than SWner (0.8%) in SE. I guess this can be explained by the fact that more SEners (rich and poor) live in SW than SWners (rich and poor) in SE. Anyways, 2 and 0.8 are nearly similar. 0.8 is almost 1 cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Far less (only 0.8%) of the beggars in the North are Igbo as against 17.3% Yorubas begging in the North. This means far more Yorubas in the North are in dire financial straits than Igbos in the North
Much more Muslims are beggars than Christians, even in the SE where there are fewer Muslims (I guess most of these would be the northern beggars in SE)
More of the beggars from SE would not be begging did a calamity not happen to their source of livelihoods.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 8:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
Photos coming

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 8:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
photos

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by Nobody: 8:41pm On Aug 13, 2015
waiting
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by deadZONE: 8:43pm On Aug 13, 2015
sad sad
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by dealslip(f): 8:45pm On Aug 13, 2015
Our God is a good God. I know God won't leave the mental problem you have for you to handle alone. He will send help just be prayerful. Bigots

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by Orfankwagh(m): 8:45pm On Aug 13, 2015
I hope no b research topic?

1 Like

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 8:49pm On Aug 13, 2015
Orfankwagh:
I hope no b research topic?

It has been researched on long ago. I have the entire PDF but I just photographed the key areas
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 8:52pm On Aug 13, 2015
This is the kind of study I like. Let everything in Nigeria be broken down into tribes so that we know who is doing what. If there was a census based on tribe we would have known how many Igbos are in Lagos, Abuja etc. Now everything those Igbos own are counted for Lagos and Abuja, to the detriment of Igboland

After all, in the USA, there is no govt form you would fill without putting your race (Black, white, Latino Asian, etc). So why not Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 9:01pm On Aug 13, 2015
Some of the Igbo beggars in Enugu are those handicapped by the civil war. I have seen them personally begging along Oji River Axis of the Enugu-Onitsha Road. So without the civil war, these ones would probably not be begging

1 Like

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by AnambraDota: 9:02pm On Aug 13, 2015
Begging started in Igboland during Abacha regime, throughout my teen age I didn't see any beggar in onitsha or Enugu.

I started seeing beggars when I was in JSS 3 during France 98 in Onitsha having gone to buy past question papers, I was marveled.

Most of the beggars in East are Northerners shaa with sizeable number of SWners and few Easterners.

3 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 9:02pm On Aug 13, 2015
AnambraDota:

Most of the beggars in East are Northerners shaa with sizeable number of SWners and few Easterners.

That is not exactly what the study proved; most beggars in Igboland are Igbos
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by emmalexabl(m): 9:08pm On Aug 13, 2015
A TYPICAL BIAFRAN WOULD NEVER BEG EVEN IF HIS LIFE DEPENDS ON IT UNLIKE OTHER TRIBES WHO ARE LAZY AND DERIVE PLEASURE FROM BEGGING...

6 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 9:16pm On Aug 13, 2015
Igbo beggars are neater (44.1%) in appearance than their northern (37.9) and SW (40.4%) counterparts
At the same time Igbo beggars are less dirty (55.8%) in appearance than their northern (62.1%) and SW (59.5%) counterparts

3 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 9:37pm On Aug 13, 2015
emmalexabl:
A TYPICAL BIAFRAN WOULD NEVER BEG EVEN IF HIS LIFE DEPENDS ON IT UNLIKE OTHER TRIBES WHO ARE LAZY AND DERIVE PLEASURE FROM BEGGING...

Who is a typical Biafran? Those wounded soldiers begging in Enugu are not typical Biafrans? Dude, there are beggars in every tribe, it is just a matter of scale
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 9:43pm On Aug 13, 2015
Note that this was a 2005 research; things would have changed now, especially for North. See an example

Boko Haram: Residents panic as Hausa beggars take over Owerri

http://dailypost.ng/2012/08/25/boko-haram-residents-panic-hausa-beggars-take-owerri/
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 9:45pm On Aug 13, 2015
Note that this was a 2005 research; things would have changed now, especially for SW. See another example

Emerging trend of social almajiri in Yorubaland
By Hakeem Jamiu

https://www.nairaland.com/149827/emerging-social-almajiris-yorubaland
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by coolebux(m): 9:49pm On Aug 13, 2015
You guys can't accept ordinary proven fact

#tufiakwa_unu.

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by totit: 9:58pm On Aug 13, 2015
igbobuigbo:
This study was conducted seceral years ago by two SW academics (see their names and schools below) using Kano, Enugu and Ibadan as typical North, SE and SW cities
More SEners (2%) beg in SW than SWner (0.8%) in SE. I guess this can be explained by the fact that more SEners (rich and poor) live in SW than SWners (rich and poor) in SE. Anyways, 2 and 0.8 are nearly similar. 0.8 is almost 1 cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Far less (only 0.8%) of the beggars in the North are Igbo as against 17.3% Yorubas begging in the North. This means far more Yorubas in the North are in dire financial straits than Igbos in the North
Much more Muslims are beggars than Christians, even in the SE where there are fewer Muslims (I guess most of these would be the northern beggars in SE)
More of the beggars from SE would not be begging did a calamity not happen to their source of livelihoods.

cheesy
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by scholes0(m): 10:22pm On Aug 13, 2015
Just post the link to the study , and we can all go check it out, instead of posting snippets of it here.

1 Like

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by scholes0(m): 10:24pm On Aug 13, 2015
igbobuigbo:
This study was conducted several years ago by two SW academics (see their names and institution below) using Kano, Enugu and Ibadan as typical North, SE and SW cities

The reason why there are more Yoruba beggars than Igbo beggars in the North is simply because part of Yorubaland is in the Northern Nigerian region. Simple. has nothing to do with financial straits or whatever ..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 10:30pm On Aug 13, 2015
scholes0:

The reason why there are more Yoruba beggars than Igbo beggars in the North is simply because part of Yorubaland is in the Northern Nigerian region. Simple. has nothing to do with financial straits or whatever ..
This is Kano which is not Yorubaland. Are you an illiterate?

4 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 10:35pm On Aug 13, 2015
scholes0:
Just post the link to the study , and we can all go check it out, instead of posting snippets of it here.

Sorry. I ONLY have a PDF version. You can use the author names to search for the article online. I got no time for that.
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by scholes0(m): 10:35pm On Aug 13, 2015
igbobuigbo:

This is Kano which is not Yorubaland. Are you an illiterate?

They travel there - that is the largest city in their region... Duurh!
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 10:41pm On Aug 13, 2015
scholes0:

They travel there - that is the largest city in their region... Duurh!

There are more Igbos in Kano than Yorubas. Again Kano is not a yoruba region. Maybe Kwara.

3 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by scholes0(m): 10:44pm On Aug 13, 2015
igbobuigbo:

There are more Igbos in Kano than Yorubas. Again Kano is nor a yoruba region. Maybe Kwara.

When did you do the census?
Yorubas in kano can blend in, Igbos there mostly can't.
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 10:45pm On Aug 13, 2015
scholes0:

When did you do the census?
Yorubas in kano can blend in, Igbos there mostly can't.

And you know that how?

3 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by scholes0(m): 10:49pm On Aug 13, 2015
igbobuigbo:

And you know that how?

Because unless a Yoruba muslim in Kano tell you specifically that he is a Yoruba, you mostly wouldn't know.
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 10:50pm On Aug 13, 2015
scholes0:

Because unless a Yoruba muslim in Kano tell you specifically that he is a Yoruba, you mostly wouldn't know.

I would, they are different in features.

You would not accept this truth, wouldn't you? Lol.

3 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by scholes0(m): 10:59pm On Aug 13, 2015
igbobuigbo:

I would, they are different in features.

You would not accept this truth, wouldn't you? Lol.

You only think... but in reality you cant
Here are Kwara state people... point out their tribes.... And how is this different from what is obtainable in Kano?

Anyways.... your thread just has no point.

3 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 11:04pm On Aug 13, 2015
scholes0:

You only think... but in reality you cant
Here are Kwara state people... point out their tribes.... And how is this different from what is obtainable in Kano?

Anyways.... your thread just has no point.

We are talking Kano here not Kwara. In any case Kwara is not a typical yorubaland per inhabitant tribes. Duh! The study was conducted by SWners not me.

3 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by totit: 11:05pm On Aug 13, 2015
igbobuigbo:

Lol

Yoruba population is higher than Ibo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate Queries Shortchanging Of Hajj Pilgrims By Travel Agents / MAN, LCCI Fault Yari’s Call On Govs To Prepare For Possible Recession / Nasarawa Protesters Hurl Stones At Jonathan’s Convoy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.