Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,135 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident (165416 Views)

100 Slangs You Should Know When You Are In LAGOS. / Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos / Revealed: Top 10 Lagos 419 Tricks You Should Never Fall For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by ahamonyeka(m): 11:57am On Aug 14, 2015
Sha ooko. Meaning smoke hemp
Oti yo meaning one is drunk
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by shadrach77: 12:07pm On Aug 14, 2015
Iamsynord:
Stop Sebe
Ojo - Police
Irin Tutu - Gun
Olosho- Prostitute
Ilefo
Igara
Buate
E be like say na motor park tout you be grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Nobody: 12:10pm On Aug 14, 2015
Nice but most of the slangs are tied to yoruba langua unlike benin where I come from we can use an English word to mean a lot e.g "

Tidy: I dey Tidy the guy matter: I am correcting his error (treat him fuckup)

who dey Tidy that babe? : who's her bf?

who dey Tidy the work? : used by G men : that could mean who is your offshore or the last man handling the work b4 payment.

That babe no sabi Tidy : she has a bad character.

Its almost always used in same way as "Package"

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Amazo: 12:11pm On Aug 14, 2015
smsshola:

https://www.naij.com/516397-top-10-slangs-used-lagos-can-save-life.html

Please feel free to add urs...

If an armed assailant asks whether you want to eat biscuits, well,
Biscuit = bullet grin
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by kenobi007(m): 12:11pm On Aug 14, 2015
Yomieluv:
What about the currency denominations..

Faiba--#5
Shandy-#20
White-#50
Awo-#100
Oloye-#1000.

zik -#500, sky -#50.
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Amazo: 12:22pm On Aug 14, 2015
kwencypresh:

Lagos dey learn slangs for whr warri dey

Ridiculous assumption angry! Virtually all Nigerian tribes have representation in Lagos. Tell us how many Nigerian tribes are in Warri that will make it have the kind of cultural diversity and variegated colloquialism that is unique to Lagos. Warri indeed undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by simdam500(m): 12:22pm On Aug 14, 2015
Don't be surprise; I reside in Lagos and not all the above listed slang have I heard
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by nicolas247(m): 12:27pm On Aug 14, 2015
Yomieluv:

Faiba--#5

Shandy-#20

White-#50

Awo-#100

Oloye-#1000.

Addition
January means #200
February means #500 they coded slang used by ikorodu council tax force or council area boys
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by shadrach77: 12:34pm On Aug 14, 2015
Let me add some

Ma Kana = don't worry / don't slack
Ko jo = no way
Ma jeju e = I'll deal with you
Ma teju mi mole = don't treat me badly
Tarmac = base / meeting point
Gbagbe Oshi = leave the matter
Sempe = retire
Igboro aiye = public
Mama e = my mum
Ebe = money
Westie = Western Union
Lappy = laptop
Te si lara = shoot him

I sabi plenty. Make I relax for now grin grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by takleboy(m): 1:08pm On Aug 14, 2015
baba ijebu
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 14, 2015
This slangs is for some residents who live in a ghetto or an average citizen resident,guys living at banana island or vgc maynot familiar with these.
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Spybradd: 1:29pm On Aug 14, 2015
AAHHHHHHHH.........
grin
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by cactuscee(m): 1:32pm On Aug 14, 2015
abangaLEE:
someone tell me the meaning of "olobe"
Olobe means some one that is not sharp

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by cactuscee(m): 1:33pm On Aug 14, 2015
takleboy:
baba ijebu
Na awof money be dat ke. You any awof for me?
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by takleboy(m): 1:41pm On Aug 14, 2015
cactuscee:
Na awof money be dat ke. You any awof for me?

Yes o jawe...... 18 34
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by lafakale(m): 2:06pm On Aug 14, 2015
dancok:
This slangs is for some residents who live in a ghetto or an average citizen resident,guys living at banana island or vgc maynot familiar with these.

The slangs are not to the exclusive of anyone as far as you live, move around and use the highways in Lagos. The slangs are what a resident must arm himself with irrespective of your status. It is not necessary you should use them but your understanding their meaning can save you a lot of headache and untoward pain.
Wo egbe e for example mean literally to look at your side. This can mean be careful the way you drive your car or that you can endanger yourself by remain in that same position standing by the roadside. Now tell me, who is that a banana islander who want his car bashed, his side mirror broken or his leg bruised because he failed to learn a slang he considered derogatory to his status? If you're in Lagos, you must be lasgidi!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Olayinka777(m): 2:18pm On Aug 14, 2015
Faiba is #10 while #5 is kala

Faiba--#5

Shandy-#20

White-#50

Awo-#100

Oloye-#1000.

[/quote]
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by missmary(f): 2:32pm On Aug 14, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Aaaaaaah!!!

When you are in a heated arguement with another Lagosian especially conductors or those agberos and it looks very likely that a physical fight is on the way, just shout the word 'Aaaaaaah!' 3 times and end with by screaming the word 'Emi, emi, emi, wa ku leni!' angry
Say this and you would immediately notice a look of panic on the other guy's face. grin
Oga just chant this to the leader of Eiye Group... I pray hes the quiet type, your own don pieces
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Samguine: 2:57pm On Aug 14, 2015
deehusby60:
Shandy was brought out of "green sand shandy" that old school non alcoholic drink in Lagos. #20 note is green in colour
Thanks for the explanation cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by iamkingzlee(m): 3:03pm On Aug 14, 2015
vickerz:
wat of "sneh", skibo.. ,askari !

wat of "sneh", skibo.. ,askari !

Sneh : to lay emphasis on somethin, it also means "on point" eg nairaland sneh, farano sneh, etc

Skibo : im not sure of the meanin.. lil kesh uses it alot

Askari :means someone with craze, ie someone that shud not be fvcked with /pissed offf

Goobe : trouble

Poron : means dick

Gbana : weed

Shisha : weed

Skunk / Sk : an advanced type of weed

Tiny : cocaine

Omo Aiye ; sure guy, or my guy

Abete : a place where street boys meet and convene

Kpoli: : weed

Mhen, i miss lasgidi

KPOLI!!!! cool you be Sabi boi..
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 14, 2015
missmary:

Oga just chant this to the leader of Eiye Group... I pray hes the quiet type, your own don pieces
You do know I was joking, right? undecided

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by iamkingzlee(m): 3:06pm On Aug 14, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Aaaaaaah!!!

When you are in a heated arguement with another Lagosian especially conductors or those agberos and it looks very likely that a physical fight is on the way, just shout the word 'Aaaaaaah!' 3 times and end with by screaming the word 'Emi, emi, emi, wa ku leni!' angry
Say this and you would immediately notice a look of panic on the other guy's face. grin
lmao.. this is sooo true!

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by missmary(f): 3:25pm On Aug 14, 2015
FriedPlantain:
You do know I was joking, right? undecided
undecided[ Hope you know i was completing the jokeundecided[

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by missmary(f): 3:26pm On Aug 14, 2015
dancok:
May not familiar ko.. Doesnt familiar ni...Park well, Not evryone knows that buhari is president

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by nathpope(m): 3:52pm On Aug 14, 2015
Yomieluv:

Faiba--#5
Shandy-#20
White-#50
Awo-#100
Oloye-#1000.

faiba: #10. Tenfaiba: #100 twentyfaiba: #200
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 14, 2015
missmary:

undecided[ Hope you know i was completing the jokeundecided[
Go and sleep joor! angry tongue
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by priscaoge(f): 4:13pm On Aug 14, 2015
obaty:
as in eh, dey will be speaking pidgin and you will be like "na pidgin dis guy dey speak?"

I de tell u cheesy cheesy
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by missmary(f): 4:18pm On Aug 14, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Go and sleep joor! angry tongue
Sidown there dey drink frozen goat milk.. Y all the vexing
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by jozef4links: 4:26pm On Aug 14, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Aaaaaaah!!!

very very true
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by cabaliciouscabal: 4:57pm On Aug 14, 2015
OGA ADE......meaning u should not behave like a dunce

FILEE FUN......meaning free him

MA LOUD E......meaning u should keep d secret within d inner caucus

YOUR SIDE.....parlance usually use by conductor to ask his driver to roll out

MA DULL ARA E......don't be naive

ARSENAL MA JE LO WO CHELSEA......meaning chelsea will beat arsenal in a football match

OMO AIYE......meaning u belong

OLENU.......meaning u av a say in d matter

OKA.......meaning an informant

OJOO.....police

OLOOSHE KO SE.....meaning Bad Luck

YA RA E NI BRAIN.......meaning u should use ur right senses

KO SI EYIN.......meaning won't foment trouble

ORI E WA NI BE......u ar recognized

EGUN.......bribe

MA GO RA E OOO.....don't be hindered

These and Many More Are Wat is keeping Lagosians moving day in, day out.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by anigold(m): 5:02pm On Aug 14, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Aaaaaaah!!!

lol... Ahahahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Thatitan234(m): 6:00pm On Aug 14, 2015
Yomieluv:

Faiba--#5

Shandy-#20

White-#50

Awo-#100

Oloye-#1000.

faiba/fibre means 10naira

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Offer Of Advice For Interest In Studying In Czech / Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission / DV LOTTERY 2014 Preparations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.