Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,678 members, 7,801,955 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:52 AM

Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide (19953 Views)

Osinbajo Swears-in Stephen Ocheni & Suleiman Hassan As Ministers (Photos) / Some Ministers Will Have No Portfolios, Buhari Insists. / Ministers Will Be Appointed In September - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by Islie: 4:13am On Aug 15, 2015
By Emmanuel Aziken, Political Editor & Gabriel Enogholase

The jury is still out on whether Matthew Urhoghide has finished paying for his sins of radicalism. After years of unionist struggle that climaxed with his election as president of the Students Union in the University of Benin, his bid to enter mainstream politics in his native Edo State in 1999 was for 15 years laced with several disappointments.
In every election cycle he made all the waves, galvanised the electorate but when it mattered most, he was always left in the cold!

Urhoghide’s fate until his recent election to the Senate was essentially because of his own inclination to walk in the public arena. Many of his associates from his school days like the former journalist, Segun Babatope preferred to work behind the scenes. But not Urhoghide, a man who fought the system from outside as a student’s activist and decided to reform it from inside!
In his first outing in 1999 when he sought the governorship ticket of Edo State on the platform of the defunct All Peoples Party, APP, he was roundly routed despite a popular campaign that galvanised many youths.
He suffered the same stamp of defeat in 2003 in the hands of Senator Roland Owie, who had just left the former Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.
He did not give up and in 2007 instead of seeking state wide office, he now sought the Edo South senatorial ticket of the opposition All Nigeria Peoples Party, ANPP. For the first time he was on ticket for a general election but was overwhelmed by the PDP’s nationwide blitz that year.
Despite his own loss, his formidable political machine was helpful in gathering the election data with which Comrade Adams Oshiomhole used in prosecuting his election petition at the tribunal.
With the Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN in power in Edo State it was believed that Urhoghide’s time had finally come in 2011 when he again sought the Senate ticket of the ACN.
He was surprisingly disappointed by the last minute intrigues that shadowed the emergence of the ACN senatorial candidate in 2011. Urhoghide’s unhidden bid was derailed after Comrade Oshiomhole joined forces with Senator Ehighie Uzamere as a quid pro quo for the latter’s own help. Uzamere had helped Oshiomhole to defeat the PDP’s forces as led by Chief Tony Anenih during the Senate confirmation hearings of the Edo State nominees for the Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC.

Some would have also suggested that Oshiomhole or the Benin electorate was also paying Uzamere a hand of gratitude for his own role in seeing to the first ever appointment of a Bini man as both vice-chancellor of the University of Benin and the Nigerian Institute for Oil Palm Research, NIFOR.
Willy-nilly, Uzamere”s reward became Urhoghide’s loss.
It was, however, a stinging loss for Urhoghide and forced him to leave the ACN. He was immediately welcomed into the PDP which waived away all rules to immediately give him a leading role in the party which was in opposition in Edo State.
It was a sort of irony. Urhoghide was now fighting his former comrades and allies and doing so from the camp of the former enemies.
Urhoghide’s appointment as the Publicity Secretary of the PDP immediately gave verve and vibe to the PDP which had virtually been discredited on account of the stewardship of the state between 1999 and 2007.
It was thus remarkable that in the period leading to the last National Assembly elections that the senatorial ticket of the PDP became his for the taking especially after Senator Uzamere declined a third successive stint.
Confronted with the Oshiomhole machine in the main elections, Urhoghide overcame and eventually banished the stigma.
Having overcome the demons with his Senate victory it is not surprising that those hoping to return the PDP to the Edo Government House would beckon on him. Is he falling for it, he was asked in an interview.
“I am not aware of that. I must say that everything is not about
contest.” He, however, confesses the desperation of the PDP to win back the office, desperation that it is claimed has made the party to zone the office to his Edo South Senatorial Constituency.
“We are desperate in the sense that we are going to do everything legitimate and within the rules of the game to win the election.”
It would, however, seem that neither his stint in the Senate nor his membership of the PDP has lessened his inclination for political fights. A case in point is his stern posture on the campaign against Senator Ike Ekweremadu’s election as Deputy Senate President.

“It is very derogatory to accuse senators of forging the standing rules. It also calls into question the integrity of the Senate,” Senator Uroghidie said as he warns of dire actions against the senators that externalised the issue.
“The business and procedures of doing things are clearly stated. By the constitution, the Senate has the power to decide what it wants to do. There is no other body that can interfere in the affairs of the Senate. So, if you are going to the police or the SSS to look at what we are doing, it then means you have not properly
looked at the necessary laws and statutes. I believe ethics and privileges committee will look at it.”
Even more pointedly, the senator blasts the APC federal administration over its dithering procrastination in forming a government.
“What is more annoying is that they are trying to rationalize this ineptitude rather than apologizing to Nigerians that they have not been able to do certain things because they didn’t have a proper grasp of the workings of government. It is better to say we are understudying government in order to take off.
“By March 29, 2015, Mr. President knew he had won the election. He also knew that there was not going to be any legal tussle as the erstwhile president had capitulated to him completely. So, if after more than four months and he is still telling us that he will submit the list of ministers and make other appointments by September, I’m afraid a lot is wrong. That is six months, 180 days.”
Flaying the seeming stance of the president to run a government of saints as an impossibility, the senator said the administration’s dilly-dallying is hurting the government locally and internationally.
“They keep saying that they are taking their time when the president knew that he would take oath of allegiance two months before he was sworn-in. What are you planning? Are you waiting for agents to descend from heaven before you can draw a list of ministers? Are you going to solve the problems of Nigeria in one day? Are you looking for people you think are too saintly that you want to appoint as secretary to the government or as chief of staff or ministers?”
Pointing at a major flaw in the president’s failure to constitute his cabinet he noted the recent state visit to America where the Nigerian team did not have a ministerial delegation to match that presented by President Barack Obama.
“You can see a betrayal of officialdom and bureaucracy in that. Our own Secretary of State should have met with the American Secretary of State, not the president jumping into a meeting with him. It is an embarrassment to the country.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/buharis-search-for-saints-as-ministers-will-fail-senator-urhoghide/

8 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by delishpot: 4:15am On Aug 15, 2015
Fail ke? When people like me are here? He has not been searching well. If not he would have found me

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by PassingShot(m): 4:20am On Aug 15, 2015
Shameless man. Why not watch and see?

Has PMB said he was looking for saints?

Btw, most Nigerians approve of how PMB is governing. Let the unhappy wailers do the needful.

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by SouthernBreeze(m): 4:35am On Aug 15, 2015
Journey in futility indeed. Bubu is in it for a long tinnnnnn

4 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by ifekemmie(f): 4:59am On Aug 15, 2015
I am d saint
Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by Soskid(m): 5:02am On Aug 15, 2015
K.

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by Gwan2(m): 5:09am On Aug 15, 2015
Pessimist

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by Bishop4bella(m): 5:28am On Aug 15, 2015
Matthew Urhoghide a pharmacist by profess and former Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital (OAUTHC) BOARD chairman.

I can nw understand why he was made the hospital board chairman.

Dedication;

My dedication goes to the CMD Prof Adetiloye, CMAC Dr. JK Olabanji, the DA Mrs Bola Alajo, Mr S.O Fawole DD(Estabs) is not left out and respect to all Estabs Workers most especially Registry Unit. Mr Oyedeji aka bororo I see. All OAUTHC una well done and God crown our effort all.

To the senator, represent urself, family members, the constituency which you represent very and leave mr presido do his best for the country.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by handie(m): 5:45am On Aug 15, 2015
We all know there ain't no saint... U included. He's just trying to make the best from a dire situation. Or do u want him to take Alaymasiehga, Stella Odua, Lucky Igbinedion, Lamido and his two sons, Bode George, nyako and his son, Diezani, James Ibori and other corrupt fellows cause there's no saint?
ajebuter:

Add Tinubu, Ameachi, Okorocha,Kwakwaso,Saraki, Ngige, Obj.. And your list is complete.. Abi these ones are saints and corruption free because they are inAPC?
If only u'll stop being a politician's abobaku and read my post without political blindness. Has any of the individuals you foolishly listed above been indicted for corruption or are u talking cause others are? If only u had not exchanged ur brain for a cup of garri, u would have seen me make mention of Murtala Nyako and his son Abdulaziz. Are those ones PDP members? I only made mention of Diezani cause of Her ineptitude that ran the Nigerian petroleum industry down... Not because of her perceived corrupt practices. Well, stupidity is not a crime so, u're free to go. I'll advice u go for a 40 days fasting and prayer session to ask God to grant u d grace not to show u stupidity in public again.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by Panshow(m): 6:07am On Aug 15, 2015
Wailers gonna wail

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by simp: 6:07am On Aug 15, 2015
PassingShot:

Most Nigerians approve of how PMB is governing. Let the unhappy wailers do the needful.

Needful as in lagoon?

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by PassingShot(m): 6:25am On Aug 15, 2015
simp:

Needful as in lagoon?
Or this:

9 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by ionsman: 6:47am On Aug 15, 2015
He alone NOSE the thrash he is spewing.

7 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by Ciscogod(m): 6:57am On Aug 15, 2015
Buhari can not get saints. Is just like going to Sodom/gomorah to virgin.
Since buhari said politicians and technocrat will make his list. Had it been it was only technocrat I would have said maybe.
But he can turn mr left to mr right. They can change their ways and work for the betterment of nigeria.
China is more corrupt than nigeria before. Just take a look at China today

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by ArmaniUhuru: 7:53am On Aug 15, 2015
I don't tink there's any difference between PDP and apc, bunch of rotten bananas......... Mtchewwwww.

The only saint I know is my crush
St Genevieve.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by Tonniey(m): 7:53am On Aug 15, 2015
Mr Buari, we gat no saint in this country, but we have people of integrity and courage. All wot u need to do is to appoint people that will honour and respect ur opinion and wont be like okono iweala who I heard threnghtend GEJ then that she will resign if he won't listen to any financial advice she gives.

Do u care to reduce your tummy and cut down on excessive fat from your body, click the link below

https://www.nairaland.com/2499520/good-news-now-get-rid

2 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by Firefire(m): 7:53am On Aug 15, 2015
grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by boman2014: 7:54am On Aug 15, 2015
shut up!!!
Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by Nobody: 7:54am On Aug 15, 2015
Fashola is a saint but he has a 72million naira website

Amaechi is a saint but we all remember 21 Trans Amadi where 21.2 billion naira was spent

Fayemi is a Cannonised saint but he bought a bed for 100million naira in govt house

Qn: Who is really a Saint

Ans: We are the saints because we have not committed a fraction of what. Those theives did

11 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by adonbilivit: 7:54am On Aug 15, 2015
he should come get me! I am saint adonbilivit!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by Nobody: 7:54am On Aug 15, 2015
PassingShot:

Has PMB said he was looking for saints?

Btw, most Nigerians approve of how PMB is governing. Let the unhappy wailers do the needful.
This is the nonsense you will type and that nonsense media house will quote you. What made the man shameless? Didn't you hear when PMB said anybody with corruption toga will never make his cabinet.

We are still waiting for PMB's list so that we ll know if he ll make Amaechi and Websiite Fashola ministers

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by Dani4tech(m): 7:55am On Aug 15, 2015
Is it just me...?? Who else n0ticed the (unlike) button ?

3 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by ArmaniUhuru: 7:56am On Aug 15, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
Fashola is a saint

Shoro niyen?............. My dear, no politician is a saint. Know this today, a good girl is a bad girl that has not been caught. Fashola saint ko? Na snake ni.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by WhoBeThisMan: 7:56am On Aug 15, 2015
He dosnt Need saints, but if he send one or two currupt official to 200years jail term, trust me, all their brains will reset to saint mode grin

6 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by laurel03(m): 7:56am On Aug 15, 2015
Nobody is saint but some people just fair and better than other... Eg Buhari is not a saint but better than all other 9ja leaders we know..

4 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by ajebuter(f): 7:57am On Aug 15, 2015
See? PDP is bad and extremely corrupt and wasteful..

Yet, APC is not populated by the 'saintly and corruption free ' ministers buhari desires..

Shitt is real.. grin grin grin
Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by Oildichotomy(m): 7:57am On Aug 15, 2015
Foolishness is when a gullible set of Nigerians still think Buhari is the change they seek after seeing the crass display of cluelessness from him.

Some Nigerians are the problem with themselves.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by Rawani: 7:57am On Aug 15, 2015
Nigeria boasts of many technocrats that have not held public office, who hold principles and values that fuel their integrity.

Of course such people cannot thrive under the foul PDP atmosphere, and therefore sought refuge in Universities, hospitals and other fields where their value would impact humanity.

However with the advent of the PMB administration which is characterized by integrity and an agenda for responsible governance, such people can be coaxed into believing in national service once again and contributing their own quota to our national development.

In my understanding, this is what the President is doing.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Search For Saints As Ministers Will Fail – Senator Urhoghide by simongonner: 7:57am On Aug 15, 2015
rubbish

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Declares 26th, 27th December And 2nd January Public Holidays / Senate Is Confused, It Wants To Be Co-executive With The Presidency – Sagay / It’s A Shame Nigerians Are Celebrating Christmas In Discomfort – Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.