Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,958 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search (25369 Views)

Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business / 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search / 5 Major Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by CrazyMan(m): 7:38am On Aug 15, 2015
Like with mission statements, when writing cover letters and résumés or interviewing for a new position, it's too easy to eagerly conform to what you think others want to hear. This may be due to the fact that you are intimidated by the process itself and have yet to gain the confidence needed to claim your skilled, job-hunting voice.

One of the most overused claims found on résumés is “excellent communications skills,” and this can be detrimental when you demonstrate just the opposite.

Here are five common communication fails that limit job search success:

1. "Dear Sir."

So many people begin cover letters with this outdated and sexist salutation it boggles the mind! You might eliminate the sexist part with, “Dear Sir or Madam,” but that will still sound far too stilted.

Instead, take the time to research who is the hiring manager or human resources staffer in charge of this job requisition. Address your letter directly to him or her by name: “Dear Ms. So-and-So.” If you strike out and can’t find a specific name, begin with “Dear Hiring Manager,” “Dear Recruiter” or “Dear Hiring Team”.

2. “I’m ideally suited (or perfect) for this job.”

Whether in a cover letter or conversation, this statement can be seen as a boast, an assertion or a conclusion. No matter how you see it, it’s a judgment you can’t and shouldn’t make. You don’t know how you stack up against other candidates or the hiring authority’s precise priorities. Plus, more likely than not, this statement will make you look brash or arrogant.

Instead, it’s your role to provide all the facts that demonstrate your value based on your experience, skills, knowledge, certifications and education. In short, you need to make your case in such a way that leads the employer to conclude that you are ideally suited for this job.

3. “Hard working, results-oriented, team player with excellent communication skills.” 

It’s hard to count the number of times hiring managers have encountered constellations of buzzwords assembled into jargon-rich – yet meaningless – self-descriptions at the tops of résumés.

Remember: You are trying from the outset to distinguish yourself from others. Who is going to begin with the opposite? ("I'm a lazy, lone-wolf worker, interested in punching a clock rather than actually producing anything.”) No one, of course!

4. “When it comes to salary, I’m negotiable.” 

When you respond to the “what are your salary requirements” question this way, you can easily be perceived as noncooperative. This is not generally a sought-after quality! Moreover, while you might intend this statement to mean “I’m flexible," it can be heard as just the opposite. You might give someone a false impression that you’ll play salary hardball at the end of the process.

On the other hand, you don’t want to box yourself into a lower salary than you might otherwise receive or eliminate yourself from consideration because you have stated marginally higher expectations than some other candidate. Show a spirit of cooperation by talking about your past or current salary. Calmly explain that while this can provide a measure of guidance, you don’t yet know precisely what would be appropriate for the job in question.

5. “References available upon request.” 

Everyone knows that references are part of the hiring process and that at an appropriate time, you’ll supply them. Have you ever heard of anyone saying the opposite on a résumé? (“I won’t supply references to share with you.”) Of course not!

By eliminating this statement at the bottom of your résumé, you gain a line or two. Use the extra space to add a bit more detail about some relevant accomplishment. Or even an extra line of white space is better than this over-used cliché. 

Happy hunting!

Source

http://insidify.com/discovery/5-cliche-statements-that-can-bomb-your-job-search

18 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by iamsodium(m): 7:39am On Aug 15, 2015
Nicely said

It's iamsodium again
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by espn(m): 7:43am On Aug 15, 2015
Story for the gods..

17 Likes

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by donwise1(m): 7:49am On Aug 15, 2015
Like seriously? The Rules For Getting Job Now Is Higher Than The Number Of Sand In Africa.

If u are a tech addict and like free browsing and latest Gadgets, visit
Wizytechs dot com

34 Likes

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by debque(m): 7:49am On Aug 15, 2015
Mo rii
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by sanandreas(m): 9:09am On Aug 15, 2015
Good
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by chymystique(f): 10:38am On Aug 15, 2015
CrazyMan

Nice and educating alright.

@ your 4th point about salary negotiation? The preferable answer you gave was for experienced job seekers. What of fresh graduates that has never had a job before?

3 Likes

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Mopolchi: 2:30pm On Aug 15, 2015
okay
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by distinguished1(m): 2:32pm On Aug 15, 2015
Orishirishi. A beg make una just give me job. Me I don't tire to dey read this kind posts.
Give me a break.

7 Likes

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by lanre316: 2:34pm On Aug 15, 2015
There is no hard and fast rule that applies in all situations like a general formula.

For instance addressing your prospective employer as dear sir/madam can be more preferable than addressing them as "dear hiring manager".

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with stating that references are available upon request. It's normal and won't affect the chance of securing a job.

Very soon someone will come up with a rule that says job seekers should not write their email address in the first page.

Orisirisi.

It's unfortunate that job seekers are being bamboozled and confused by thousands of rules that may not make any difference in the real sense.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by slimmyjimmy(m): 2:36pm On Aug 15, 2015
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Ayomi088(m): 2:39pm On Aug 15, 2015
Nice Tips
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Damalex4luv(m): 2:41pm On Aug 15, 2015
All this stories! Nigeria of today doesn't put all those things into consideration. All you need is to know someone that could get you the job. So many people wey no fit speak english dey get job self talkless of writing a job application letter.

7 Likes

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Adesiji77: 2:42pm On Aug 15, 2015
Following
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Richman15: 2:44pm On Aug 15, 2015
When U're CONNECTED C.V. Contents becomes Irrelevant. In Naija, What U need is Connection, simple.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by SpeedyConnect(m): 2:44pm On Aug 15, 2015
Just waiting to hear the cliche.....Entrepreneur is the key; even when there is no experience or capital.
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by EbukaMascot(m): 2:45pm On Aug 15, 2015
That's one factor they fail to attend to when they make this kind of post
chymystique:

Nice and educating alright.
@ your 4th point about salary negotiation? The preferable answer you gave was for experienced job seekers. What of fresh graduates that has never had a job before?
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 15, 2015
Bullshiit
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by lanre316: 2:47pm On Aug 15, 2015
Richman15:
When U're CONNECTED C.V. Contents becomes Irrelevant. In Naija, What U need is Connection, simple.

Thank you jare. All these confusing rules and counter-rules are getting just too much.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Dcaliphate(m): 2:47pm On Aug 15, 2015
Stop all these thrash as if we r not in Nigeria, abeg, how many ppl cover letter abi cv don give job?
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by totorimi: 2:48pm On Aug 15, 2015
After all said and done, who do you know in this country matters a lot. I've seen someone who never wrote an application before but has worked in for big banks now in CBN. so the explanations are good for knowledge sake and will remain so.

1 Like

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Rastamann: 2:50pm On Aug 15, 2015
Resume and cover letter templates differs across regions and countries, so it will be good to know what obtains in the countries where you are seeking for the job.

1 Like

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by tspun(m): 2:50pm On Aug 15, 2015
ok
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by akogun7(m): 2:51pm On Aug 15, 2015
How many times person won write and rewrite CV sef. Tip here tip there. I tire o.
Unemployment can make one feel like an eed!0t.
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Fundango: 2:52pm On Aug 15, 2015
@ that first rule why not use SIR or MA if the recruiter is unknown to you.
I give thank to GOD for hit first page thing.
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by anochuko01(m): 2:54pm On Aug 15, 2015
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by SQLmastar(m): 3:00pm On Aug 15, 2015
Rules, Rules, Rules! angry

Gimme ze gaddamn jab already angry angry.
How many times am I gonna modify ma CV?
They say I should change email ; I DID
They say I should change address ; I DID
They say I should change marital status ; I DID

Now this ??

I don tire, joor.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Enki40(m): 3:03pm On Aug 15, 2015
An inspiring and informative piece. Thanks for sharing...

1 Like

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Nobody: 3:06pm On Aug 15, 2015
YOU KNOW ALL THESE AND YOU ARE STILL UNEMPLOYED!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Isn't This The Best Answer On Why You’re Leaving Your Current Workplace? / How Do I Prove To My Employer That I Am A Graduate? / 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.