Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,047 members, 7,807,141 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search (25373 Views)

Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business / 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search / 5 Major Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by engrrichie92(m): 3:07pm On Aug 15, 2015
Dcaliphate:
Stop all these thrash as if we r not in Nigeria, abeg, how many ppl cover letter abi cv don give job?

Many

1 Like

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 15, 2015
6.When you Refuse To Dance to 'Shakebody' grin
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by engrrichie92(m): 3:08pm On Aug 15, 2015
engrrichie92:

Many..quit being a pessimist sir,it won't help
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by davidayn(m): 3:14pm On Aug 15, 2015
Holyfield1:
Today is my birthday...Nairalanders show some love
A thousand likes is just enough to make me happy
Thanks mod for moving this to FP
Nairalanders..Haba e never reach Ik na

U no dey tire , na every thread wey I open I don dey see u since , infact today na my birthday sef am 2minutes older , lol,... Happy birthday bro !

1 Like

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by ndcide(m): 3:22pm On Aug 15, 2015
I don't agree with 2 & 4

For 2, nothing wrong in stating how you are best suited for the job. The idea is to sell yourself not the other person.

For 4, it's not safe comparing you present salary to what you'd like to earn. It's a manipulation. My guy is with one Indian company earning / angrily managing 50k. His friend is on 130k with their competitor they both do the same kind of job. If you go by this logic my guy may not get up to 100k after an interview because he is presently under paid. While his other colleague have the chance of going beyond 200k.

It's not easy, I must say.
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Holyfield1(m): 3:24pm On Aug 15, 2015
davidayn:

U no dey tire , na every thread wey I open I don dey see u since , infact today na my birthday sef am 2minutes older , lol,... Happy birthday bro !
Thanks o...No money for celebration....na in make me take to ''nairaland'' to enjoy my day
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Krisddon: 3:30pm On Aug 15, 2015
With all this 5 or 10 things to say or not to say everyday in the job search, one wonders if the writers or the hiring managers are looking for graduates that schooled in Mars or Pluto.
Permit me to ask, were these so-called hiring managers not once fresh graduates?
Take my advice: try your best and pray fervently, you must get a job. Just believe God!

1 Like

Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by CrazyMan(m): 3:34pm On Aug 15, 2015
chymystique:

Nice and educating alright.

@ your 4th point about salary negotiation? The preferable answer you gave was for experienced job seekers. What of fresh graduates that has never had a job before?
As a fresh graduate, you must first find out if there's a standard salary for the position you're apply for. (Most companies have standard salaries for fresh graduates) if there isn't, then find out what the general range is.

Once you've discovered that, you've succeeded in arming yourself with enough information to negotiate in line with the company's standard.

Hope I answered your question?
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Nobody: 3:39pm On Aug 15, 2015
Mtcheew. All this crazy rules sef. Just because people dey find work. Nonsense.
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by chymystique(f): 3:54pm On Aug 15, 2015
CrazyMan:

As a fresh graduate, you must first find out if there's a standard salary for the position you're apply for. (Most companies have standard salaries for fresh graduates) if there isn't, then find out what the general range is.

Once you've discovered that, you've succeeded in arming yourself with enough information to negotiate in line with the company's standard.

Hope I answered your question?

Yes.

BUT;

Question: “what are your salary requirements”

Answer: “When it comes to salary, I’m negotiable.”

You said the above answer is wrong. Okay Lets assume am the interviewer and you are the applicant and I ask you the above... I would like to know YOUR appropriate answer to the question assuming the coy doesnt ve a fixed salary for its fresh graduates?? Thanks
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by muyentinadek(m): 4:06pm On Aug 15, 2015
All this talk about different rules here and there. Truly speaking all these do not count in many recruitment processes. Some will just pay attention to little details and that will be all...... Do you wanna tell us that the recruitment going on for MTN call center agents will need all these rules. If you dont knw, they only need your number, your email address and your age and am sure the peculiarity of different firm will also determine what they really wanna see in the cv or cover later. ABOVE ALL CONNECTION NA E BE D KOKO!!!!!!!
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by engrjacuzzi: 4:16pm On Aug 15, 2015
your name "crazyman" should ought to have been edited because no employer will like to have a craze man in his organization.
for this nice copied article you gat, I need to stone you with some green bottles at aso rock.
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by CrazyMan(m): 4:35pm On Aug 15, 2015
chymystique:

Yes.

BUT;

Question: “what are your salary requirements”

Answer: “When it comes to salary, I’m negotiable.”

You said the above answer is wrong. Okay Lets assume am the interviewer and you are the applicant and I ask you the above... I would like to know YOUR appropriate answer to the question assuming the coy doesnt ve a fixed salary for its fresh graduates?? Thanks
You must make enough research about the coy before applying.

See the thread below.

www.nairaland.com/2501236/5-ways-should-research-employers

Your research should be able to tell you how many staffs the coy can boast of, how its being run, if their staffs are under paid, an estimate of their entry level salary...etc.

With that, you should be able to answer that question.

So to your question...I'll respond based on my research on the coy.

Being open to negotiations simply tells your employers that you have little or no information about their pay package.

So you might end up being under priced. Or your price might be too high for the coy, thereby making them choose other candidates at your expense.

The rule of the thumb is to have enough information of the coy before going for your interview. With that you wouldn't be caught off guard.
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by karkinase(m): 5:06pm On Aug 15, 2015
Na wa oooo.....different rules every day....Jobseekers don suffer 4 dis country ooo....GOD go help him children
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by lyman720(m): 5:31pm On Aug 15, 2015
lanre316:
There is no hard and fast rule that applies in all situations like a general formula.

For instance addressing your prospective employer as dear sir/madam can be more preferable than addressing them as "dear hiring manager".

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with stating that references are available upon request. It's normal and won't affect the chance of securing a job.

Very soon someone will come up with a rule that says job seekers should not write their email address in the first page.

Orisirisi.

It's unfortunate that job seekers are being bamboozled and confused by thousands of rules that may not make any difference in the real sense.

Abi ooooo,I concur Broda. God super bless U.
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by ezighi: 5:41pm On Aug 15, 2015
Yes God will help job seekers. I think is immaterial trying to craft the dos and donts of interview. A critical analysis shows that most of these things are subjective. It borders on the manning gaps of the organization and the requisite skills. For instance, a financial institution that urgently need to grow it deposit base will be interested in how much deposit you can mobilise which you will use to fine tune your bargaining power for your level and pay not all those grammars in your CV. Of most importance, is your bio data, to see if it meets the organization recruitment policy.
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by emitheo(m): 5:54pm On Aug 15, 2015
na wa oh....RULES,RULES & RULES!
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by CrazyMan(m): 6:24pm On Aug 15, 2015
engrjacuzzi:
your name "crazyman" should ought to have been edited because no employer will like to have a craze man in his organization.
for this nice copied article you gat, I need to stone you with some green bottles at aso rock.
Lol...this got me laughing.
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by butanep(m): 6:56pm On Aug 15, 2015
Another rule again...

How long will this continue?
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by erubamidele(m): 7:16pm On Aug 15, 2015
Richman15:
When U're CONNECTED C.V. Contents becomes Irrelevant. In Naija, What U need is Connection, simple.
finally
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by bummyla(m): 7:30pm On Aug 15, 2015
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by just2simple: 8:06pm On Aug 15, 2015
cheesy Am only guilty of point 3 if its even true cheesy
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by BeauHomme: 8:13pm On Aug 15, 2015
Nicely written. Although writers of job search tips often contradict one another

Nice points all thesame
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Chigorkizz(m): 8:29pm On Aug 15, 2015
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by gseph(m): 8:37pm On Aug 15, 2015
Nice 1, this is helpful.
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Nobody: 12:13am On Aug 16, 2015
Everything I did on my CV is opposite of everything here oh! Abeg , I will open my own thread after I receive my first salary. Like my LIKE and tap into my anointing grin
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by mikkypel(m): 11:11am On Aug 16, 2015
Comments cracking my ribs, to get a job in Nigeria is even a job, rules here and there, waa it not last week I saw brother Ahmed in a filling station as a petrol attendant, haaa, brother Ahmed who have MSC in his hand, Nigeria, where are you headed?
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 16, 2015
We trouble ourselves alot. most recruiters are olodo and what one recruiter hates is what another recruiter wants.
Re: 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search by kponkedenge(m): 1:11pm On Aug 16, 2015
CrazyMan:
Like with mission statements, when writing cover letters and résumés or interviewing for a new position, it's too easy to eagerly conform to what you think others want to hear. This may be due to the fact that you are intimidated by the process itself and have yet to gain the confidence needed to claim your skilled, job-hunting voice.

One of the most overused claims found on résumés is “excellent communications skills,” and this can be detrimental when you demonstrate just the opposite.

Here are five common communication fails that limit job search success:

1. "Dear Sir."

So many people begin cover letters with this outdated and sexist salutation it boggles the mind! You might eliminate the sexist part with, “Dear Sir or Madam,” but that will still sound far too stilted.

Instead, take the time to research who is the hiring manager or human resources staffer in charge of this job requisition. Address your letter directly to him or her by name: “Dear Ms. So-and-So.” If you strike out and can’t find a specific name, begin with “Dear Hiring Manager,” “Dear Recruiter” or “Dear Hiring Team”.

2. “I’m ideally suited (or perfect) for this job.”

Whether in a cover letter or conversation, this statement can be seen as a boast, an assertion or a conclusion. No matter how you see it, it’s a judgment you can’t and shouldn’t make. You don’t know how you stack up against other candidates or the hiring authority’s precise priorities. Plus, more likely than not, this statement will make you look brash or arrogant.

Instead, it’s your role to provide all the facts that demonstrate your value based on your experience, skills, knowledge, certifications and education. In short, you need to make your case in such a way that leads the employer to conclude that you are ideally suited for this job.

3. “Hard working, results-oriented, team player with excellent communication skills.” 

It’s hard to count the number of times hiring managers have encountered constellations of buzzwords assembled into jargon-rich – yet meaningless – self-descriptions at the tops of résumés.

Remember: You are trying from the outset to distinguish yourself from others. Who is going to begin with the opposite? ("I'm a lazy, lone-wolf worker, interested in punching a clock rather than actually producing anything.”) No one, of course!

4. “When it comes to salary, I’m negotiable.” 

When you respond to the “what are your salary requirements” question this way, you can easily be perceived as noncooperative. This is not generally a sought-after quality! Moreover, while you might intend this statement to mean “I’m flexible," it can be heard as just the opposite. You might give someone a false impression that you’ll play salary hardball at the end of the process.

On the other hand, you don’t want to box yourself into a lower salary than you might otherwise receive or eliminate yourself from consideration because you have stated marginally higher expectations than some other candidate. Show a spirit of cooperation by talking about your past or current salary. Calmly explain that while this can provide a measure of guidance, you don’t yet know precisely what would be appropriate for the job in question.

5. “References available upon request.” 

Everyone knows that references are part of the hiring process and that at an appropriate time, you’ll supply them. Have you ever heard of anyone saying the opposite on a résumé? (“I won’t supply references to share with you.”) Of course not!

By eliminating this statement at the bottom of your résumé, you gain a line or two. Use the extra space to add a bit more detail about some relevant accomplishment. Or even an extra line of white space is better than this over-used cliché. 

Happy hunting!

Source

http://insidify.com/discovery/5-cliche-statements-that-can-bomb-your-job-search
Good write up av learn a lot

(1) (2) (Reply)

Isn't This The Best Answer On Why You’re Leaving Your Current Workplace? / Ondo State Board Of Internal Revenue Recruitment! / How Do I Prove To My Employer That I Am A Graduate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.