Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,880 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:17 AM

Submission In Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Submission In Marriage (14139 Views)

Men In Marriage: How To Play The In-law Politics! / 61-Year-Old Woman Gives Birth To Triplets After 40 Years In Marriage. Photos / What We Men Really Pray For In Marriage (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 2:05pm On Aug 16, 2015
Hello peeps

I sometimes stumble on old threads and go through them again and picked on this 'submission' stuff again.

This thread is mainly for single 'feminists', 'feminazis' and ladies who cringe at the word submission.

Now I am referring to it as used in the Bible and not Nairaland's /Nigerian definitions and assuming the man in question knows what it is to love so this will be to ladies

Someone once defined it as 'loyalty'... that's a nice one.

Loosely defined, i will say it is all about learning what your man wants and doing it & pleasing your man. Now I do not care about what 'men' want but there is one man whose like and dislikes matter most to you as a lady. It is not being 'controlled' or 'treated like a slave' or having no say in your affairs. You also do not have to be a man's inferior or unequal to submit.

Infact, the dynamics of submission happens in every relationship including those with your friends. You know that your best friend you bend backwards for, always what to do what makes her happy, give her your loyalty and faithfulness.... translate that to your husband or boyfriend on a higher level.

Now it is your duty to enter a relationship/marriage with the right person. That way, it flows naturally as you always want your man to be happy and learn to be intuned with his needs. (No one is perfect and it is a process which you can start today cheesy)

So I say ladies... go and be found by your soul mate kiss (If you are interested in getting married).

P.S.: I believe submission should start from a relationship (My personal opinion)

I will 100% appreciate we stick to the topic.

It is common knowledge I am a feminist and believe men and women are equal. I do not want anti-feminists rants on this thread.

Happy Sunday to everyone.

7 Likes

Re: Submission In Marriage by Nobody: 2:06pm On Aug 16, 2015
Submission is also a sign of being respectful.

Buh these days, men take dat 4 granted!
U dnt expect me to do something i'm not comfortable with all in d name of submission!

This submission thingy shouldn't be over stressed.

Op, nice thread.

7 Likes

Re: Submission In Marriage by ladyF(f): 2:06pm On Aug 16, 2015
Both parties should submit. Husbands submit to your wife too.

3 Likes

Re: Submission In Marriage by freecocoa(f): 2:09pm On Aug 16, 2015
I do understand your angle but I don't agree that's what submission means according to the bible and you do have to be unequal to submit but anyways, nice advice.grin

1 Like

Re: Submission In Marriage by micronut(m): 2:09pm On Aug 16, 2015
in Ephesians 5, the apostle Paul explains to Christians how to live the Christian life: "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ" (verse 21).

The word submit is surely one of the most difficult, disliked, and divisive words in the Bible. But Paul says to these Christians,"Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." Whatever the word submit means, it's something Paul thinks every Christian can and should do. He then illustrates how to submit by giving three examples from relationships in his day—wives and husbands, children and fathers, and slaves and masters.

In each example, one person has more power, and one person has far less power.

3 Likes

Re: Submission In Marriage by Caracta(f): 2:13pm On Aug 16, 2015
You have to be humble before you can be submissive.

Over the years, submission has been re-defined. You abuse your spouse and expect submission. You expect him/her to shiver at your presence and worship you. Submission is not fear. This is where the mix-up lies.

From love to humility to submission. Not fear.

11 Likes

Re: Submission In Marriage by donholy28(m): 2:13pm On Aug 16, 2015
ladyF:
Bible says d wife should submit and d husband should love and cherish
Re: Submission In Marriage by Richiy(f): 2:14pm On Aug 16, 2015
What men want is respect. Just give it to them and you would find him trying so hard to please and protect you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Submission In Marriage by Caracta(f): 2:15pm On Aug 16, 2015
This thread is mainly for single 'feminists', 'feminazis' and ladies who cringe at the word submission.

Oh...how did I miss this part?

Have fun ladies cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 2:16pm On Aug 16, 2015
freecocoa:
I do understand your angle but I don't agree that's what submission means according to the bible and you do have to be unequal to submit but anyways, nice advice.grin

Thanks

That's what it means....

Christians are to submit to Christ yet you don't see anyone living like slaves or brainless chickens.

Christians are also called to submit to each other... except that means all Christians are 'inferior'/'unequal' to each other.
Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 2:17pm On Aug 16, 2015
Caracta:

Oh...how did I miss this part?

Have fun ladies cheesy

You are none? grin

You are still welcome. I just saw a lot of 'submission' = slavery i wanted to correct
Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 2:19pm On Aug 16, 2015
Caracta:
You have to be humble before you can be submissive.

Over the years, submission has been re-defined. You abuse your spouse and expect submission. You expect him/her to shiver at your presence and worship you. Submission is not fear. This is where the mix-up lies.

From love to humility to submission. Not fear.

Nice one

You have to be humble... It helps put a lot of things in perspective\

Thanks

Don't go anywhere else i will e-drag you back grin
Re: Submission In Marriage by freecocoa(f): 2:20pm On Aug 16, 2015
bukatyne:

Thanks

That's what it means....

Christians are to submit to Christ yet you don't see anyone living like slaves or brainless chickens.

Christians are also called to submit to each other... except that means all Christians are 'inferior'/'unequal' to each other.
And this is the point, no one christian or not, can submit to anyone without having to do what the other wants at all times, how many christians do you know that do exactly what the bible/God instructs?

1 Like

Re: Submission In Marriage by Caracta(f): 2:21pm On Aug 16, 2015
bukatyne:

You are none? grin

You are still welcome. I just saw a lot of 'submission' = slavery i wanted to correct

Yeah. I'm not a feminist, feminazi, neither do I cringe at the word 'submission'.

Nice thread btw.

2 Likes

Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 2:22pm On Aug 16, 2015
micronut:
in Ephesians 5, the apostle Paul explains to Christians how to live the Christian life: "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ" (verse 21).

The word submit is surely one of the most difficult, disliked, and divisive words in the Bible. But Paul says to these Christians,"Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." Whatever the word submit means, it's something Paul thinks every Christian can and should do. He then illustrates how to submit by giving three examples from relationships in his day—wives and husbands, children and fathers, and slaves and masters.

In each example, one person has more power, and one person has far less power.

If Submission is only amongst people with higher/lower power, are all Christians more powerful/less powerful than themselves?

1 Like

Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 2:22pm On Aug 16, 2015
Caracta:

Yeah. I'm not a feminist, feminazi, neither do I cringe at the word 'submission'.

Nice thread btw.

Thanks
Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 2:25pm On Aug 16, 2015
freecocoa:
And this is the point, no one christian or not, can submit to anyone without having to do what the other wants at all times, how many christians do you know that do exactly what the bible/God instructs?

Babes,

Christians are the worst examples of submission lipsrsealed shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

If you are married to the right person and spent your courtship well, there will be little things he will want that will not sit well with you. It is now left for you both to discuss/negotiate/sacrifice and see what's best for all.

1 Like

Re: Submission In Marriage by Caracta(f): 2:25pm On Aug 16, 2015
freecocoa:

I disagree at the emboldened. Submission isn't saying YES to everything. It's saying NO humbly and respectfully encouraging your partner to see from your own perspective. We can't say YES to everyone and everything. We all have minds of our own and we are all different in a unique way.

We just need to learn to accommodate and understand one another.

6 Likes

Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 2:26pm On Aug 16, 2015
lagmostkuit:
Hmmmm

Talk na grin

ladyF:

Men are called to love even if they do mean same thing in principle.
Re: Submission In Marriage by zicoraads: 2:27pm On Aug 16, 2015
Caracta:

I disagree at the emboldened. Submission isn't saying YES to everything. It's saying NO humbly and respectfully encouraging your partner to see from your own perspective. We can't say YES to everyone and everything. We all have minds of our own and we are all different in a unique way.
Caracta:

Nice thread btw.
kiss grin grin kiss
Re: Submission In Marriage by Caracta(f): 2:29pm On Aug 16, 2015
zicoraads:
kiss grin grin kiss

I see you everywhere tongue

1 Like

Re: Submission In Marriage by zicoraads: 2:31pm On Aug 16, 2015
A thread for feminists, by feminists and for feminists grin cheesy
Am just here to stalk Caracta and read comments embarassed

4 Likes

Re: Submission In Marriage by Chidoks(f): 2:31pm On Aug 16, 2015
Richiy:
What men want is respect. Just give it to them and you would find him trying so hard to please and protect you.

You've just hit the hammer on the head! The moment you let the man know he's the boss, hmnnnnn.you will be in control but he won't even know.nothing appeals to a man like meekness and respect.this is the ticket to stress free marriage

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Submission In Marriage by micronut(m): 2:32pm On Aug 16, 2015
bukatyne:

If Submission is only amongst people with higher/lower power, are all Christians more powerful/less powerful than themselves?

If it's not submission, then it's "Respect". You can respect someone and not submit to his or her will but when you submit, you respect and submit.

Check the examples i gave above, Husband (More superior) to Wife, Parents (More superior) to Children and Masters (More Superior) to Slaves.

A general saying says, Respect is reciprocal but submission is not. In short, submission is giving all of an individual to another in exchange for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 2:33pm On Aug 16, 2015
zicoraads:

Please don't derail

Tenk
Re: Submission In Marriage by Caracta(f): 2:35pm On Aug 16, 2015
zicoraads:

Stalker

Chidoks:

You've just hit the hammer on the head! The moment you let the man know he's the boss, hmnnnnn.you will be in control but he won't even know.nothing appeals to a man like meekness and respect.this is the ticket to stress free marriage

I agree. There is a way you can 'run' a man and he wouldn't even know what you are doing to him. Women always underestimate the power they have.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 2:36pm On Aug 16, 2015
micronut:

If it's not submission, then it's "Respect". You can respect someone and not submit to his or her will but when you submit, you respect and submit.

Check the examples i gave above, Husband (More superior) to Wife, Parents (More superior) to Children and Masters (More Superior) to Slaves.

A general saying says, Respect is reciprocal but submission is not. In short, submission is giving all of an individual to another in exchange for nothing.

Ok, thanks
Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 2:37pm On Aug 16, 2015
Caracta:

Stalker

I agree. There is a way you can 'run' a man and he wouldn't even know what you are doing to him. Women always underestimate the power they have.

Chidoks:

And why do you want to run a man/ be in control?
Re: Submission In Marriage by zicoraads: 2:37pm On Aug 16, 2015
bukatyne:

Please don't derail

Tenk
Sorry ma embarassed
Re: Submission In Marriage by freecocoa(f): 2:37pm On Aug 16, 2015
Caracta:

I believe we all know there is a generally accepted definition of words so let's not start giving our different versions, if we are talking about the word submission, it has no other meanings than the followings.

"The action or fact of accepting or yielding to a superior force or to the will or authority of a superior person"

"The action of presenting a proposal, application, or other ducument for consideration or judgement."

Now it's obvious we are talking about the first, so pray tell, how you can say no in submission? .

I am not saying people don't have minds of their own, I am only saying that, in submission or with submission, you have to forget your own mind or will, there's no room for persuading anyone to see your perspective and should you persuade and he agrees, then it's no longer submission but him compromising.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 2:39pm On Aug 16, 2015
zicoraads:
Sorry ma embarassed

No P

A plate of Nkwobi for you grin
Re: Submission In Marriage by Richiy(f): 2:39pm On Aug 16, 2015
Chidoks:

But many ladies don't know this. In their bid to be "equal" and not sidelined, they get it wrong. Respect a man and he will get the whole world for you.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bride’s Relative Steals Dowry In Kano / Help Find Missing Ayobami Jaiyeola!!!! / Can You Marry Someone You Don't Love?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.