Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:26 PM

NNPC Retires 1000 Staff - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / NNPC Retires 1000 Staff (46161 Views)

Nigeria Customs Fires 61 & Retires 16 Officers Over Certificate Forgery / Ecobank sacks 1000+ Staff / Cyril Stober Of Nta Retires From Service At Nta, Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by FUCKINGNIGAZ: 11:44am On Aug 17, 2015
LAUDATE damburuba, dambanza sege waka yafada. you are a stupid Southerner worker, I hereby command you to be subservient to Buhari and all his northern cohort walahi. Inshalla u shall learn that the north shall make Nigeria great again. I will search you i.p. address and when I catch you I will turn you into suya and sell to your canibal southern brothers. walahi.
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by laudate: 11:47am On Aug 17, 2015
Setaje:

... The biggest problem nnpc has is government involvement. The other day, El rufai said a nnpc should be scraped. Ignoramus were saying yes it should. Bla bla bla. I have it on good authority that El rufai said that because his brother was denied a slot to be importing fuel. His brother is not an oil marketer but he wanted to use his influence for his brother and he was refused. Days later he came out to say nnpc should be scrapped.

Any rich and influential man that knows his onus should never venture into Nigerian politics because they will rubbish u the way they have rubbished okonjo. Anybody that wants to run Nigeria effectively must come wiv clean hands. If he thinks he can install his family members there. Everything is being documented. I know nnpc like a plate of rice.

I may not understand every single thing you have said nor even agree with it, but one fact I do know which you rightly stated is this: "Government involvement" is a big problem in NNPC.

It ranges from undue interference from govt appointees, external sources /people trying to corruptly enrich themselves at NNPC's expense, diversion of NNPC's funds to political campaigns etc. Sad! sad
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by obailala(m): 11:48am On Aug 17, 2015
kay9:

I don't mean to defend laudate's demands for "proof", but the very fact that the new GMD hasn't even been in office for up to TWO WEEKS [/b]and already plans to sack 1,000 people... bros me, something is NOT being properly done.

Yes, NNPC is over-bloated with lots of "white elephant" personnel, but you can't tell me that in just a little over 1 week, Mr. Kachi has done a comprehensive appraisal of all concerned staff AND identified all those that are under-performing. C'mon, let's be realistic here. It was also mentioned that people due for retirement [b]by December 2016
will be laid off as well. Like seriously?? Eziokwu?? Please someone should inform the new boss that doing that is actually a crime, and that the laid-off workers will have a VERY solid case in court. So unless his real motive is to sink the NNPC into an even bigger mess, he should re-think his strategies. And what about disengagement packages? Or, does he intend to sack and continue round 2 in settlement courts?

Anything worth doing is worth doing well; the NNPC needs downsizing, yes, but it must be done right - fairly and equitably, on the basis of low performance indices and non-qualification for the given role - not by a knee-jerk pronouncement.
laudate:

Thank you for actually taking out time to read, digest and understand my post. Those are the right words: "fairly & equitably". wink
Don't you guys think you 'might' be the ones prematurely jumping into conclusions?.... @kay9, you claim the GMD hasn't been in office for up to 2 weeks hence it is too early for him to make such a decision. @Laudate claims due process may have not been followed. From your arguments, the both of you have instantly concluded that this retrenchment exercise is a brainchild of the new GMD. Have you imagined that this could be a process that has been on for a long time even before the appointment of Mr Kachi?... Have you both given it a thought that a thorough investigation may have been conducted in past and this recommendation may have just been lying on the desk of the previous GMD and president without action?...

I personally do not know the details, but I'm almost sure this exercise is not totally the handwork of the new GMD; the new GMD may just be a man of hard balls who's just implementing the recommendations of an investigative panel which was concluded in the past. Let's seek more information before we dive into the arguments.

3 Likes

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by graciandubuisi(f): 11:49am On Aug 17, 2015
Yungwizzzy:
1000 dropped to employ 5000 of their relatives and friends

Just like they dropped 10,000 workers and employed 25,000 in Imo. Hehehehehe grin

1 Like

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by laudate: 11:49am On Aug 17, 2015
FUCKINGNIGAZ:
LAUDATE damburuba, dambanza sege waka yafada. you are a stupid Southerner worker, I hereby command you to be subservient to Buhari and all his northern cohort walahi. Inshalla u shall learn that the north shall make Nigeria great again. I will search you i.p. address and when I catch you I will turn you into suya and sell to your canibal southern brothers. walahi.

Numb.skull! angry Go and seek psychiatric help, first. Have you finished dealing with the Boko Haram guys that are busy finishing off your people?/ shocked

1 Like

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by Setaje(f): 11:56am On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:

I may not understand every single thing you have said nor even agree with it, but one fact I do know which you rightly stated is this: "Government involvement" is a big problem in NNPC.

It ranges from undue interference from govt appointees, external sources /people trying to corruptly enrich themselves at NNPC's expense, diversion of NNPC's funds to political campaigns etc. Sad! sad

2 Likes

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by Nobody: 11:59am On Aug 17, 2015
tsdarkside:

are you sure of your statement??....its a company...companys are about profit...and believe me,a company would rather employ 50 robots than 5`000 human-workers,to make profit.......

And you think most of those civil servants have any contribution to their 'company'?

They just go there and collect free salary

It will never affect the pocket of nnpc

1 Like

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by ephi123(f): 12:02pm On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:

Very funny! sad Provide proof please, that the entire 1,000 people were incompetent. This is one problem with Nigeria. You guys will shout blue murder if the affected people are your kinsmen, but as long as they remain faceless... you really do not care. There is something called professional experience, institutional memory etc. All these will be lost in a single day, because some clowns sat down and decided to lay off 1,000 people in one fell swoop instead of taking time out to conduct a thorough investigation, then gradually phase out those who are not pulling their weight, within the system. A well-structured handover and succession process would then be instituted, as these people gradually wind down, and leave the system. Was that done in this case?? Kindly let us know. shocked

And where are the more competent people that are to be employed? Is it from the pool of unemployed graduates on our shores, that do not even know how to write a single business case or memo?? undecided

A man takes over as GMD of NNPC and in just one week decides that the first thing to do, is sack 1,000 people. It is not as if any process was automated, that made these people redundant. It is not that a new process or structure was instituted, that did not require the presence of so many people. It is not as if any major departmental function was outsourced. So what was the criteria used in laying off this huge number of staff? sad

What is the total number of staff employed by NNPC that would justify laying off 1,000 people? And do they even have enough money to pay off their terminal benefits in a timely manner?? undecided

"About 800 others are those that will attain the mandatory retirement age of 60 years or 35 years in service in the next one and a half years."

These people would have left the service in a maximum of 2 years in any case
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by ephi123(f): 12:03pm On Aug 17, 2015
Eruditor:
Laudate,

I am not sure you read the article well. Or maybe your primordial dislike for his background or ideologies is tainting your understanding of some of his actions.

The article said 2 things.

1. About 800 of the 1000 were already on their way out due to AGE and years of service.

2. That he is not responsible for the lower cadre retrenchments. He only handled that of the GEDs, GGMs and GMs and he has delegated the responsibility of weeding out redundant, unproductive, overaged and overworked staff to those below him.

It is also important to take note that there is an ongoing recruitment process for EH and GT that I am sure will be used to replace some of the redundant workers in due time.

Exactly, I don't think people take time to read before commenting. Or maybe comprehending is the issue, really don't know.

1 Like

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by spartan07(m): 12:05pm On Aug 17, 2015
Am a graduate of Petroleum Engineering and surely I support the drive to flush out redundant staff out of the system permitted it would give graduates like me an opportunity to get into the system.
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by shaddoww: 12:11pm On Aug 17, 2015
I believe it shouldn't just stop at the NNPC alone, we should start running most of our revenue generating agencies like a corporate organization instead of civil service stuff, n let people know dat once u are there, u aren't like everyother civil servant n there is strict rules, ones u mess up, u are shown d way since there are thousands to replace u, and I believe by so doing, alot will cum into d government pocket outside d oil revenue, LASAA in Lagos is a case study, dey generate in a month more dan some states IGR in 5 months........ Just imagine hw customs, Firs, Frsc, Nimasa, Npa, and others will bring in..
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by OneDemola: 12:13pm On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:

Madam, am not aggrieved with the restructuring, provided it is done in a proper and ethical manner. And am not an official of NNPC, so kindly stop the conjecture.

I do not need to have an audience with Kachikwu to make any feelings known to him. His actions already portray the kind of person he is. Don't forget that "by their fruits, ye shall know them."

How about you take a position of "look and see, and if you are proved correct, we will all come and apologize to you, ok?"

The fact remains, as someone said earlier, mediocrity cannot continue, and if you have over 1000 staff that are at retirement age, and/or not providing value to the corporation, but rather just waiting on end of month salary (which is made up of all our commonwealth FYI)
My objections have to do with the blind defence of any silly action that any top govt official carries out, in this country.

We are all so quick to hail any action without thinking it through, or looking at the pros and cons of those actions as well as the resultant effects on the system. Yet, when things end up not working properly, we turn round to blame others for the misfortune that arises, from the consequences of such actions. angry

We cannot keep doing the same thing over and over again, yet keep expecting a different result. Other GMDs have tried this approach in the past and it yielded nothing, but failure! Other parastatals have also embarked on the same course of action in the past, only to end up with greater problems than those which initially existed. shocked

We need to look beyond just the implementation of any action, and research the consequences of such actions on the system, the processes, the staff, the corporation and even the country, itself. There is something called "Change Management," and it is a process that every parastatal fails spectacularly, in this country.

Your GMD has started the process. Let us all wait and see how it turns out in the coming months. undecided
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by laudate: 12:16pm On Aug 17, 2015
obailala:

Don't you guys think you 'might' be the ones prematurely jumping into conclusions?.... @kay9, you claim the GMD hasn't been in office for up to 2 weeks hence it is too early for him to make such a decision. @Laudate claims due process may have not been followed. From your arguments, the both of you have instantly concluded that this retrenchment exercise is a brainchild of the new GMD. Have you imagined that this could be a process that has been on for a long time even before the appointment of Mr Kachi?... Have you both given it a thought that a thorough investigation may have been conducted in past and this recommendation may have just been lying on the desk of the previous GMD and president without action?...

I personally do not know the details, but I'm almost sure this exercise is not totally the handwork of the new GMD; the new GMD may just be a man of hard balls who's just implementing the recommendations of an investigative panel which was concluded in the past. Let's seek more information before we dive into the arguments.

Kindly point us to that section of the article, where the GMD said 'this exercise was not totally his handiwork'.

If he was just implementing the recommendations of an investigative panel, how come he did not say so and there was no press statement alluding to such an exercise?? undecided
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by obailala(m): 12:21pm On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:

Kindly point us to that section of the article, where the GMD said 'this exercise was not totally his handiwork'.

If he was just implementing the recommendations of an investigative panel, how come he did not say so and there was no press statement alluding to such an exercise?? undecided
So because it was not mentioned in the article, you have assumed the rest?.... C'mon, it's not everything they have to mention to you.
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by kay9(m): 12:23pm On Aug 17, 2015
obailala:

No sir, I do not think I am jumping to conclusions at all (in fact, I think you are the one doing that).

Mr. Kachi made a public announcement, so please, how is it a "premature conclusion" when I'm just commenting on something he actually said? Secondly, your own argument is terribly flawed; first you ask if I have "imagined" that "this could be a process that has been on for a long time..."; then you go on to say "I'm almost sure this exercise is not totally the handwork of the new GMD". If you are a simple and straight-forward person like me, then you will admit that your statements are all based on imagination and conjecture (assumption).

Yes, I certainly did NOT imagine that this process may be something else bigger or whatever, because I have no FACT or VERIFIABLE REASON to imagine so. As for the whole thing not being the GMD's handwork (as you put it), well if that is so, then I'm sorry for him. I don't go around trying to guess or imagine or assume or presume... A man's word should be his bond.

And mind you, if there is indeed a previous recommendation lying around that Mr. Kachi simply acted upon, then laudate's initial demands for "proof" becomes justified!

1 Like

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by laudate: 12:24pm On Aug 17, 2015
obailala:
So because it was not mentioned in the article, you have assumed the rest?.... C'mon, it's not everything they have to mention to you.

Guy, what assumptions did I make? shocked You are the one who claimed it was not totally his handiwork! sad

How do you know this??! shocked
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 12:26pm On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:

Very funny! sad Provide proof please, that the entire 1,000 people were incompetent. This is one problem with Nigeria. You guys will shout blue murder if the affected people are your kinsmen, but as long as they remain faceless... you really do not care. There is something called professional experience, institutional memory etc. All these will be lost in a single day, because some clowns sat down and decided to lay off 1,000 people in one fell swoop instead of taking time out to conduct a thorough investigation, then gradually phase out those who are not pulling their weight, within the system. A well-structured handover and succession process would then be instituted, as these people gradually wind down, and leave the system. Was that done in this case?? Kindly let us know. shocked

And where are the more competent people that are to be employed? Is it from the pool of unemployed graduates on our shores, that do not even know how to write a single business case or memo?? undecided

A man takes over as GMD of NNPC and in just one week decides that the first thing to do, is sack 1,000 people. It is not as if any process was automated, that made these people redundant. It is not that a new process or structure was instituted, that did not require the presence of so many people. It is not as if any major departmental function was outsourced. So what was the criteria used in laying off this huge number of staff? sad

What is the total number of staff employed by NNPC that would justify laying off 1,000 people? And do they even have enough money to pay off their terminal benefits in a timely manner?? undecided
OGA retirement is not sack!

2 Likes

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by kay9(m): 12:29pm On Aug 17, 2015
FUCKINGNIGAZ:

laudate:

Numb.skull! angry Go and seek psychiatric help, first. Have you finished dealing with the Boko Haram guys that are busy finishing off your people?/ shocked

grin
Relax, the guy was just being silly. I know a tongue-in-cheek tease when I see one.
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by kishimi8(m): 12:42pm On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:

Madam, don't just post corporate double-speak online. Provide proof, that the criteria was used in sending those 1,000 people packing. Is that so hard to do?? You are jumping to GMD's defence without knowing the true story of the matter... simply because in your own words, 'people said' or you know 'people who said' ..... na wah, oh!. Like I asked you before.... "What proof do you have that those people who were laid off, did not add any value to NNPC?? shocked shocked

OK had to come in, I believe the article said retirement right, they have already spent the 35 years allowed, thats why they had to go!!!!

1 Like

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by obailala(m): 12:43pm On Aug 17, 2015
kay9:

No sir, I do not think I am jumping to conclusions at all (in fact, I think you are the one doing that).

Mr. Kachi made a public announcement, so please, how is it a "premature conclusion" when I'm just commenting something he actually publicly said? Secondly, your own argument is terribly flawed; first you ask if I have "imagined" that "this could be a process that has been on for a long time..."; then you go on to say "I'm almost sure this exercise is not totally the handwork of the new GMD". If you are a simple and straight-forward person like me, then you will admit that your statements are all based on imagination and conjecture (assumption).

Yes, I certainly did NOT imagine that this process may be something else bigger or whatever, because I have no FACT or VERIFIABLE REASON to imagine so. As for the whole thing not being the GMD's handwork (as you put it), well if that is so, then I'm sorry for him. I don't go around trying to guess or imagine or assume or presume... A man's word should be his bond.

I did not in any way jump into conclusions because I did not even come to any conclusions from my statement, I only stated the likely possibilities and did not pass any judgement. In my final statement where I used the phrase "I'm almost sure," that is only a probable statement depicting a high likelihood, it was not a conclusion.

Like I just mentioned earlier, it is highly unlikely that the whole retrenchment exercise commenced just last week when the new GMD assumed office. It's not every single detail they would relay to the public in these announcements so you cannot just assume you have heard the whole story based on a single public announcement.
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by Crativjosh(m): 12:44pm On Aug 17, 2015
Way to go... its about time. I am forced to believe there are several ghost workers in NNPC....CHANGE!!!

1 Like

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by obailala(m): 12:46pm On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:

Guy, what assumptions did I make? shocked You are the one who claimed it was not totally his handiwork! sad

How do you know this??! shocked

I only suggested you hear the full story before making your conclusions. I personally do not know the full story but it is 'unlikely' that the entire retrenchment exercise started just last week after Mr Kachi assumed office.

1 Like

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by Mypeople2(m): 12:48pm On Aug 17, 2015
Thank You Father. That means the young ones can now come in
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by mkoabiola: 12:49pm On Aug 17, 2015
Does sacking or firing of staffs makes d corruption tower retain it creidbility.
Is d mass sacking justified?
They ar more to it
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by laudate: 12:52pm On Aug 17, 2015
kishimi8:

OK had to come in, I believe the article said retirement right, they have already spent the 35 years allowed, thats why they had to go!!!!

Which of the articles are you making reference, to? Is it the Daily Trust article posted by the OP or is it the Premium Times article posted by Miranda11?

If it is the Daily Trust article, it said that those people were due to retire in December 2016 not now, which means they are being shoved out much earlier than scheduled. They are not due for retirement until Dec 2016.
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by Bizibi(m): 12:55pm On Aug 17, 2015
Setaje:

Hmmmmn. Kachikwu would wish at the end of the day that he did not get this job. Nnpc is almost like an hausa company. It's like the hausas baby. So many unqualified nematodes are there. People who read islamic religious studies. I am talking from experience not hear say. A guy got appointment because he was always cleaning the mosque where nnpc staff used to pray at falomo. At a time in nnpc, u enter the bathroom to use the toilet. U hardly see tissue. U see kettle because of the muslims. I can go on and on. I would not advise my enemy to work there. Nnpc is a glorified ministry. A graduate earns 130 or 140k. Compare that to their counterparts in shell. How about nnpc staff cornering all contracts to their families.
you got it there,it is an Hausa corporation....many nigerians don't know that

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by erico2k2(m): 12:57pm On Aug 17, 2015
Miranda11:

I don't need to provide proof, the GMD has said it that performance reviews will be used where it is possible to retrain staff for them to be more efficient then such staff will be kept, but where there is no value in doing so they will be let go. This is the criteria that is being used. If u know anybody that works in NNPC and who can be honest with you about the reality of the situation then you won't say this. I know pple who work in NNPC and they complain bitterly about the incompetence of the staff there who were employed simply on a man know man basis, they come to work do not add value and get the intelligent junior staff to do all the work. How can NNPC continue to survive like this and unfortunately this is the case throughout the Ministry of Petroleum Resources.
it says retirement??/ 60 yrs above and 35 service years, make any sense
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by Nobody: 1:00pm On Aug 17, 2015
WhiteTechnology:
Some of them voted for Change
APC
grin

An old truckers adage, "one life for twenty".

In any change there has to be sacrifices.
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by kishimi8(m): 1:10pm On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:

Which of the articles are you making reference, to? Is it the Daily Trust article posted by the OP or is it the Premium Times article posted by Miranda11?

If it is the Daily Trust article, it said that those people were due to retire in December 2016 not now, which means they are being shoved out much earlier than scheduled. They are not due for retirement until Dec 2016.

does not really make much difference though, , they would still. Get full benefits regardless,

Honestly too many people are stuck in their positions due to the presence of higher level officers that either don't wanna retire or are redundant,
An example is nigcomsat with over 48 AGMs with most of them being in one position for more than 7years, haba. I'm not supporting the mass sacking but they should be more than prepared to retire after 35 years of service
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by sapientia(m): 1:19pm On Aug 17, 2015
Retirement due in a year.. You retire them now..

Thats corruption
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by bobby56(m): 1:21pm On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:

No, you are the one that is thinking like 'a small man'. And it is that mediocrity that oozes from your words. So, because a man attends Harvard, you feel it gives him the right to toy with the fortunes of an entire corporation, and destroy the lives and careers of 1,000 people in one fell swoop? Even in America where Harvard is located, such things cannot be done in just 1 week, or you would be hit with multiple law suits from every corner! undecided

Like I explained in my very first post in this thread, there is a process and procedure for carrying out such things in a structured manner. You do not just get into a seat or position of power, and the first thing you do is to lay off people in under 1 week. Is he an undertaker sent to supervise the demise of NNPC? shocked
My Brother, the GMD is doing the bidding of the Man(PMB) who puts him there. Very soon NNPC will be taking over by 70% Abokis again. Remember, it was OBASANJO that flushed out most of them about 16 years ago (although, it was through a gradual process). Then we had a Manager who cannot signed his name but can only use THUMB PRINT. And he would argue that, it is better than his signature. Much as I agree with him, the only problem is that, he is not educated not that he preferred thumb print. Now they want to take the front seat again. CHANGE INDEED!!!!
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by muh4lyf(m): 1:21pm On Aug 17, 2015
Nigerians are one of the most difficult people to please on earth.... I thought we all wanted NNPC been restructured.. How in this world would you restructure without letting some people go... I heard 1st bank gave those that were 60yrs compulsory retirement,please what do we call that? They had to let them go to bring in fresh blood so as to move with the trend.. That's restructuring.. It's always done for a purpose.. NNPC did this for a purpose,so why are we complaining again.. Nigerians I hail thee... Even if you give each of us GOLD we would still complain...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Molten Iron At An Indian Steel Company In Lagos Kills Many Nigerians Working / Vulcanizer Dies After Tyre Explodes While Working In His Workshop.Graphic Photos / Recruits Passing-Out From Depot Nigerian Army Today - Congratulations!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.