Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. (24861 Views)

7 Reasons Why You Must Start An Online Business In 2017 / Dairo Damilola Opeyemi Redefining Auto-parts Business In Nigeria / Drop Shipping In Nigeria- Experience, Advice And How To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by phonesNgadgets: 8:25am On Aug 20, 2015
Good morning followers. I have been waiting for response on the last point I dropped on challenges and experiences of e-commerce before I proceed to the next piece. So, if you are following this thread from page 1, let's hear from you.
Thank you and do have a wonderful day! smiley
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by enolife(m): 10:23am On Aug 20, 2015
phonesNgadgets:
Good morning followers. I have been waiting for response on the last point I dropped on challenges and experiences of e-commerce before I proceed to the next piece. So, if you are following this thread from page 1, let's hear from you.
Thank you and do have a wonderful day! smiley
Am following in real time
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by phonesNgadgets: 11:30am On Aug 20, 2015
enolife:

Am following in real time
Thank you for following. Do you have an experience to share about e-commerce or you would like to start e-retail and want to hear people's story and how they run things in the industry.
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by dakkylove(f): 12:03pm On Aug 20, 2015
Very interesting and educative topic. Thanks a lot for posting.

e-commerce is catching on and the issue we have on here is trust, Nigerians who have been burnt before are hesitant to sign up to e commerce but in time we will get there.

for entrepreneurs looking for alternative funding sources go and register on www.kwikudi.com.

you never know where your angel investor may come from.
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by NnamdiN: 1:25pm On Aug 20, 2015
HeelsEmpire:
Hehehe @NnamdiN cheesy

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, I remember when the tech team was piecing the platform together. The project definitely took a while to get done right.

I fell off my chair after reading your question about "how many millions went into designing" cheesy. I really don't have that detail.

But, our customers love the site's ease of use too. There seem to be more work going on though. So the store might look a little different when the tech folks are done. So it's still work in progress.

I know one of the tech guys calls up customers to inquire about their shopping experience on our website. It has been a bit of mixed feedback.

Now, this brings us back to the conversation off this thread. I hope "Oga" does not fire me if he reads these inputs cheesy

Customers' feedback have been mixed due to one major factor -- e-commerce is still relatively new to most people in Nigeria, hence most people struggle when trying to place an order online.

Like @PhonesNgadets rightly pointed out in his previous entries, quite a lot has to get factored in by Nigerian ecommerce website owners when trying to court the average newbish Nigerian online shoppers.

So, I guess it's imperative you try as much as possible to UN-complicate things for them when building out your ecommerce website. Make the website as simple and straightforward as possible. It's also important you have a phone number displayed almost throughout your online store for those customers who just prefer speaking to a sales person. I have had to help lots of customers place their orders on our website by telling them what to do over the phone.

@NnamdiN if you plan on starting out an e-store, like Nike always insists "Just do it!". There is enough room for lots more e-stores in Nigeria. But I'll advice you pick your market vertical properly though. And obviously make sure you've carried out your market feasibility study too. But most importantly, trust in yourself and follow that burning desire to jump right in.

I really don't think it's that hard. Like I was told, the requirements are as follows :

1. THINK about your market demographic
2. REGISTER a domain name
3. CHOOSE your ecommerce platform or custom build yours (the latter is expensive and not advisable)
4. FIND a web developer to design and code out your store.
5. ADD your products to the online store
6. MARKET and advertise the online store till you pass out, then wake up again and continue marketing. Hehehe

Goodluck!

very clear and concise smiley good luck to all of us
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by foxychev(m): 3:03pm On Aug 20, 2015
Remember you need to be registered to be successful in any business.
Business Registration is made easy with Corporate Affairs Commission. Call or text if you need any info or assistance on that.

PIN: 58B0A621
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by phonesNgadgets: 6:48pm On Aug 20, 2015
Hello house. I hope you all had a wonderful day. I have been busy in the past few hours. I just opened my store on konga, and I had to engage in a tug of war to get my products listed. grin Very frustrating process. I got call and several notifications that high end products and brand like the ones I posted need to be verified. Imagine! I had to send a photo of myself holding the good, invoice of the good and different photos of the photo. cheesy When I have not listed pre-owned luxury jewellery yet.
Anyway, I got approval notification a couple of hours ago, and I hope it worths it. Smemarkethub is next. smiley
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by enolife(m): 7:50pm On Aug 20, 2015
phonesNgadgets:

Thank you for following. Do you have an experience to share about e-commerce or you would like to start e-retail and want to hear people's story and how they run things in the industry.
I want to start e-retail that is why I am sticking to your wonderful post. I must confess you have remove the spirit of fear from me and give me boldness to face any kind of challenges that may want to come up.
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by princeuk21(m): 10:58pm On Aug 20, 2015
enolife:

I want to start e-retail that is why I am sticking to your wonderful post. I must confess you have remove the spirit of fear from me and give me boldness to face any kind of challenges that may want to come up.
Just Do It.
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by princeuk21(m): 10:59pm On Aug 20, 2015
watching and following if need be I'll contribute bro @ phonesNgadgets
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by phonesNgadgets: 11:01pm On Aug 20, 2015
enolife:

Wow! I'm glad this thread has inspired some people out there, and you are one of the people who got motivated.
Bro, now that you have gotten over the fear, what are you putting in place to get thing started?

I would be glad to see your e-business kick off.
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by enolife(m): 1:29am On Aug 21, 2015
phonesNgadgets:

Wow! I'm glad this thread has inspired some people out there, and you are one of the people who got motivated.
Bro, now that you have gotten over the fear, what are you putting in place to get thing started?

I would be glad to see your e-business kick off.
Thank you for asking. I must to say that to succeed in any business you must follow the right kind of people. I was a kind of person who always want to make money quick, this mentality always lead me to meed wrong people. when I came to know about mini importation business, instead of me to make research or receive practical training from expert to get things right, rather I was focusing calculating the millions I will from it in my mind even when asleep.
So I came across an ebook seller on mini importation on Facebook, I did not even bother to know whether genuine or not I bought the ebook for #3000. I spend the whole night reading all the 25 pages word to word like am ready Bible Lol. My head begin to swell up ah I done Hamma not know that I was just wasting my time ready wrong information. I order my first product from Amazon without even conducting market survey.
It was when I want to list my product on OLX I realized that the same phone am about to sell for #30,000 is being sold for #16,000 by other importers, far lower the amount I bought my own . My profit is will be #2,000 that if I mark sale bi that. I couldn't believe my eyes, so I begin to compare the price products on OLX and Amazon the I discover that I was actually on the wrong track. I finally sold the whole 12 phones for 20,000 each with abeg After five months. This experience make me withdrew my legs from import business.
_
Not recently, I came across some real importers who are doing very good in the business and are ready to teach me exactly what they do. but the fear of the former experience was still griping me. Thank God I come across you thread which show me that there are people just who meet obstacle but never quite.
_
Though I have spend all my money in schooling even sold my laptop too, I still believe I can still raise money from petty job to start it again and also put it in e-retail store. It may take time but I believe it will surely come to pass.
_
That is why am following this you mentorship thread in real time.
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by phonesNgadgets: 8:50am On Aug 21, 2015
enolife:

Thank you for asking. I must to say that to succeed in any business you must follow the right kind of people. I was a kind of person who always want to make money quick, this mentality always lead me to meed wrong people. when I came to know about mini importation business, instead of me to make research or receive practical training from expert to get things right, rather I was focusing calculating the millions I will from it in my mind even when asleep.
So I came across an ebook seller on mini importation on Facebook, I did not even bother to know whether genuine or not I bought the ebook for #3000. I spend the whole night reading all the 25 pages word to word like am ready Bible Lol. My head begin to swell up ah I done Hamma not know that I was just wasting my time ready wrong information. I order my first product from Amazon without even conducting market survey.
It was when I want to list my product on OLX I realized that the same phone am about to sell for #30,000 is being sold for #16,000 by other importers, far lower the amount I bought my own . My profit is will be #2,000 that if I mark sale bi that. I couldn't believe my eyes, so I begin to compare the price products on OLX and Amazon the I discover that I was actually on the wrong track. I finally sold the whole 12 phones for 20,000 each with abeg After five months. This experience make me withdrew my legs from import business.
_
Not recently, I came across some real importers who are doing very good in the business and are ready to teach me exactly what they do. but the fear of the former experience was still griping me. Thank God I come across you thread which show me that there are people just who meet obstacle but never quite.
_
Though I have spend all my money in schooling even sold my laptop too, I still believe I can still raise money from petty job to start it again and also put it in e-retail store. It may take time but I believe it will surely come to pass.
_
That is why am following this you mentorship thread in real time.

My brother, experience, they say is the best teacher. Someone somewhere might have learnt from the experience you just shared, as you have also learnt from other people who have shared their experiences here. You can start all over again with a my full of knowledge, confidence, determination and courage.

Amazon is one of the places I buy from, owing to the fact that I get quality products there. Meanwhile, you need to be smart and diligent in purchasing from the site, so as not to get into pricey deal which may end up too costly when compared with similar products in the home market. Having said that, if you offer high quality products and value, pricing your goods bought on such site won't be so difficult. There are people out there who expect to get more than 100% value for money spent. They want quality and have purchasing power to buy it, yet they don't see the standard quality good around; that's hole you will fill.

All the best bro.
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by enolife(m): 8:59am On Aug 21, 2015
phonesNgadgets:

My brother, experience, they say is the best teacher. Someone somewhere might have learnt from the experience you just shared, as you have also learnt from other people who have shared their experiences here. You can start all over again with a my full of knowledge, confidence, determination and courage.

Amazon is one of the places I buy from, owing to the fact that I get quality products there. Meanwhile, you need to be smart and diligent in purchasing from the site, so as not to get into pricey deal which may end up too costly when compared with similar products in the home market. Having said that, if you offer high quality products and value, pricing your goods bought on such site won't be so difficult. There are people out there who expect to get more than 100% value for money spent. They want quality and have purchasing power to buy it, yet they don't see the standard quality good around; that's hole you will fill.

All the best bro.

thank you brother for your encouragement
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by phonesNgadgets: 12:16pm On Aug 21, 2015
enolife:

thank you brother for your encouragement
You are welcome bro. smiley What matters is seeing you fly the business.

1 Like

Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by enolife(m): 5:51pm On Aug 21, 2015
phonesNgadgets:

You are welcome bro. smiley What matters is seeing you fly the business.
Brother, Check out this guy that say he has a new marketing strategy. He even claim to help people make sales for free. jut see it thread it might of help who knows.
click here www.nairaland.com/2514260/mini-importer-let-me-grow
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by phonesNgadgets: 8:48am On Aug 22, 2015
Happy weekend to everyone. I hope we all had a profitable week? Don't worry the new week is going to be favorable. Try and keep calm during the week, relax your body and soul while you prepare for the new week. You'll be fine! Enjoy your weekend.

By the way, did I mention that I listed some of my goods on konga? While I was waiting for order to come through the channel, I sold one of the watches to a new offline customer, who was referred by an old facebook customer. smiley Pretty cool.

I don't rely on one channel to sell my goods and I'll suggest the same method to everyone here.

Happy weekend to you all!

2 Likes

Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by enolife(m): 3:33pm On Aug 22, 2015
Despite that I have not started my own biz yet. I think I can contribute to solve other people problems. I came across this thread from this guy and I think it will help some people out, it about selling you goods in bulk here in Nigeria. but before I share the link I will like to know if what am doing is good or bad against this thread so as not offend phoneNgadget.
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 23, 2015
phonesNgadgets:

Yes for sure, I have had similar experience but in my own case, I bought smaller quantity. So it was easier to bear the loss. However, Buying the eBook was not a wrong step because even when you leverage on another person's idea, you still need to some how experience your own experience in other to properly understand it. Your experience nevertheless has called that experience of mine back to mind and also strengthened it. I am now more resolved to do better. Thank you PhoneNgadgets and enolife

All the best bro.

1 Like

Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by phonesNgadgets: 9:16am On Aug 23, 2015
enolife:
Despite that I have not started my own biz yet. I think I can contribute to solve other people problems. I came across this thread from this guy and I think it will help some people out, it about selling you goods in bulk here in Nigeria. but before I share the link I will like to know if what am doing is good or bad against this thread so as not offend phoneNgadget.
If it's something that people with benefit from, you can discuss is with us here. We are hear to learn from one another. By the way, is it about suppliersnigeria dot com ? If it's, I think if read it and I have even created an account on the platform, but you can go ahead for those who would like to know about it or discuss it here. If it's the link you have shared earlier, please don't share it again, you may be banned my the moderators of this thread, they may think it's a spam: posting same post several times. We still need your contributions here, and we would not want moderators to ban you. I would not also want us to derail this thread with a distracting post.

Thank you so much for the understanding and co-operation.
Happy Sunday. smiley
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by phonesNgadgets: 9:19am On Aug 23, 2015
@ anuforo, I think I wanted to quote me to a post, but you ended up posting the quote only. smiley
I am really looking forward to reading your wonderful post and learning from it. Thank you.
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by enolife(m): 3:04pm On Aug 23, 2015
phonesNgadgets:

If it's something that people with benefit from, you can discuss is with us here. We are hear to learn from one another. By the way, is it about suppliersnigeria dot com ? If it's, I think if read it and I have even created an account on the platform, but you can go ahead for those who would like to know about it or discuss it here. If it's the link you have shared earlier, please don't share it again, you may be banned my the moderators of this thread, they may think it's a spam: posting same post several times. We still need your contributions here, and we would not want moderators to ban you. I would not also want us to derail this thread with a distracting post.

Thank you so much for the understanding and co-operation.
Happy Sunday. smiley
thank you so much for this enlightenment. It the site you mention above. I am not a member yet but wanted to let people know about it so that they can use it and share their experience here.
am still learning from you and others.
thank you and remain blesse.
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by phonesNgadgets: 4:03pm On Aug 23, 2015
enolife:

thank you so much for this enlightenment. It the site you mention above. I am not a member yet but wanted to let people know about it so that they can use it and share their experience here.
am still learning from you and others.
thank you and remain blesse.
No problem bro. smiley I wish everyone of us a profitable week ahead.

Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by phonesNgadgets: 7:36am On Aug 24, 2015
Hello house. I hope we had a stress free weekend. smiley The previous week was full of activities which I will try to summarize later today ( God willing )
Meanwhile, I wish everyone a profitable week.
Ciao!
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by enolife(m): 12:53pm On Aug 24, 2015
phonesNgadgets:
Hello house. I hope we had a stress free weekend. smiley The previous week was full of activities which I will try to summarize later today ( God willing )
Meanwhile, I wish everyone a profitable week.
Ciao!
I wish you the same dear
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by phonesNgadgets: 11:43am On Aug 25, 2015
I have been very busy with offline activities recently. I'm crossing all T's and dotting all I's to make me shift from being a self made millionaire to a self made billionaire in $ dollars. smiley

I am trying to write few words on my website about how to start e-commerce on smaller scale and grow big. Oh well, I will share my website address when I complete the piece.
Thank you for keeping a tab on the thread. Do have a splendid day.
Ciao!
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by enolife(m): 12:01pm On Aug 25, 2015
phonesNgadgets:
I have been very busy with offline activities recently. I'm crossing all T's and dotting all I's to make me shift from being a self made millionaire to a self made billionaire in $ dollars. smiley

I am trying to write few words on my website about how to start e-commerce on smaller scale and grow big. Oh well, I will share my website address when I complete the piece.
Thank you for keeping a tab on the thread. Do have a splendid day.
Ciao!
Am following and thank you so much for your selfless updates. you have given me the keen courage to be able to raise 10k ( still working to add more) since the day I discover you
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by phonesNgadgets: 4:33am On Aug 26, 2015
Hustlers don't sleep, we only take nap. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by phonesNgadgets: 8:24am On Aug 26, 2015
enolife:

Am following and thank you so much for your selfless updates. you have given me the keen courage to be able to raise 10k ( still working to add more) since the day I discover you
I'm glad you have been able to make some positive moves after you discovered this thread. I am also impressed that you won't rest on your oars after raising 10k smiley
You've got my back bro. Keep calm & startup.
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by enolife(m): 8:57am On Aug 26, 2015
phonesNgadgets:

I'm glad you have been able to make some positive moves after you discovered this thread. I am also impressed that you won't rest on your oars after raising 10k smiley
You've got my back bro. Keep calm & startup.
Thanks
Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by enolife(m): 2:30pm On Aug 26, 2015
please brothers help check out this watch I want to order if it is ok. Am a beginner please help.
the total cost Plus shipping fee of the below watch down to Lagos is N4,833 per one. my question are
1 is the my buying cost ok for the watch?
2 how much do you thing I should sell the watch ?
Thank you
Respect to phonesNgadgets

Re: E-commerce And Retail Business In Nigeria. Experience,challenges & Prospect. by phonesNgadgets: 3:56pm On Aug 26, 2015
enolife:
please brothers help check out this watch I want to order if it is ok. Am a beginner please help.
the total cost Plus shipping fee of the below watch down to Lagos is N4,833 per one. my question are
1 is the my buying cost ok for the watch?
2 how much do you thing I should sell the watch ?
Thank you
Respect to phonesNgadgets
Bro, I guess you are ordering this watch from China. Unfortunately, I have never bought anything from China before and I don't know how pricing of imported goods from that side works. I buy mostly from North America.( US/Canada)
I don't know the market value of this brand in Nigeria, maybe some other contributors on this thread or another thread may be of help.
You are already taking a good step in doing your research before placing order smiley It's a way to go. I would be looking forward to hearing from you when you get vital information concerning the watch order. I wish you the best bro.
Ciao!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Court Restrains Dangote, Police From Interfering With BUA Mining Sites / Dangote Names Major Road Leading To His Refinery After Herbert Wigwe / How To Make Money Printing Recharge Cards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.