Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? (2086 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Appears For Festival After Going Into Spiritual Seclusion / 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages / Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Depathologist: 7:52pm On Aug 17, 2015
My Opinion, I think yoruba and Igbo. Pls share Your view. Thanks
Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by INTROVERT(f): 7:52pm On Aug 17, 2015
none
Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by jessejagga(m): 7:59pm On Aug 17, 2015
Yoruba ke? wen more nd more ppl ar learning how to speak d language!

6 Likes

Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Immanueladebol(m): 7:59pm On Aug 17, 2015
I think d igbo language and culture

4 Likes

Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Aug 17, 2015
I think it's asusu igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by adewaletb3(m): 8:32pm On Aug 17, 2015
To me none of them undecided
Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Samexdx(m): 8:49pm On Aug 17, 2015
It should be igbo

4 Likes

Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by kenedy175(m): 1:16am On Aug 18, 2015
Igbo!

3 Likes

Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Filashade(f): 9:19am On Aug 18, 2015
For me I would say the Igbo culture. I have noticed this in films and around me as well.

The Igbo's only want to talk english/pidgin english, when you ask them to talk their language they start misbehaving and insulting you.

Whereas Yoruba people speak Yoruba with pride wherever they are.

Its only the old generations of Igbo that I hear speak Igbo not the new generations.

So yh the Igbo culture.

grin

3 Likes

Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Ify3: 10:04am On Aug 18, 2015
Igbo is going into extinction. Most of my village guys and girls don't speak our languages now rather they chose pidgin English. Even, some of the elders are doing same now.
The cultures are gone completely. The king even worsens the whole matter. Rochas helped them to finish up everything. What a shame!

5 Likes

Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by bigfrancis21: 7:42pm On Aug 18, 2015
Ify3:
Igbo is going into extinction. Most of my village guys and girls don't speak our languages now rather they chose pidgin English. Even, some of the elders are doing same now.
The cultures are gone completely. The king even worsens the whole matter. Rochas helped them to finish up everything. What a shame!

Depends on where they grew up in (especially outside Igboland). Most non Igbo speaking people as children often grow up to be Igbo-speaking adults. It explains why it is quite rare to find Igbo adults who can't speak Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Antivirus92(m): 4:34pm On Aug 19, 2015
anyone that said Igbo is going into extinction is a FOOL
Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by DOD1: 6:13pm On Aug 19, 2015
Just look at those that value d oyinbo lang above theirs then u'll have the answer.just imagine a yoruba kid said to his mother, mummy see malu and d mother said to him its not malu it is cow
Going by this logic, I think hausa is out of d questiom
Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by ivyT(f): 11:03pm On Aug 19, 2015
Filashade:
For me I would say the Igbo culture. I have noticed this in films and around me as well.

The Igbo's only want to talk english/pidgin english, when you ask them to talk their language they start misbehaving and insulting you.

Whereas Yoruba people speak Yoruba with pride wherever they are.

Its only the old generations of Igbo that I hear speak Igbo not the new generations.

So yh the Igbo culture.

grin

dats probably because u live in d southWest or West_ur right abt d insulting part

#ProudlyMixed
Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by ivyT(f): 11:06pm On Aug 19, 2015
Antivirus92:
anyone that said Igbo is going into extinction is a FOOL

Haba
Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Aug 19, 2015
Na Yoruba I no go lie!
Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by ezeagu(m): 11:25pm On Aug 19, 2015
Ify3:

Strange. I don't know any Igbo village where Igbo isn't the main mode amongst kids.
Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Antivirus92(m): 1:26am On Aug 20, 2015
ivyT:

Haba
don't quote my mention again if you have no reasonable thing to say
Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Antivirus92(m): 1:29am On Aug 20, 2015
ezeagu:

Strange. I don't know any Igbo village where Igbo isn't the main mode amongst kids.
they judge Igbo language based on what they hear from people not Even what they observed. again based on some Igbo kids in lagos

1 Like

Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by ivyT(f): 1:38pm On Aug 20, 2015
Antivirus92:
don't quote my mention again if you have no reasonable thing to say

u dont have to b rude...d 'haba' there doesnt mean its a bad thng

i can quote any1 if i wanna

1 Like

Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by anonymous6(f): 2:04pm On Aug 20, 2015
Well all I can say is it's not Yoruba, that language is strong with the Yoruba tribe and it's not going anywhere. Why do you think the Yoruba Nollywood film industry is more popular in Yoruba land then the English Nollywood films? Why do you think Yoruba is the official language of Lagos state?

Many Yorubas are educated and know how to speak English when they have to, since Nigeria was colonized by the British, as a result English is Nigeria's official language but socially and in their homes Yoruba is their primary form of communication. There's certain things Yorubas don't mess with in their culture and their language is one of them.

2 Likes

Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 20, 2015
Sincerely...igbo language is the lingua franca for the folks in all igbo land...but here is the paradox...igbo's outside their homes end up raising kids who can't speak igbo... the yoruba's and most especially the hausa's are doing well to protect their language and culture

5 Likes

Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Antivirus92(m): 2:26pm On Aug 20, 2015
ivyT:

u dont have to b rude...d 'haba' there doesnt mean its a bad thng

i can quote any1 if i wanna
this girl....I was never rude,I acted in accordance with their dumb comments.
Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Antivirus92(m): 2:31pm On Aug 20, 2015
tobimillar:
Sincerely...igbo language is the lingua franca for the folks in all igbo land...but here is the paradox...igbo's outside their homes end up raising kids who can't speak igbo... the yoruba's and most especially the hausa's are doing well to protect their language and culture
so you've been to the homes of all Igbo people outside igboland? No one preserves language and culture more than the Igbo's, d few Yoruba's I've seen here in d east speak English even at home
Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by bigfrancis21: 6:03pm On Aug 20, 2015
tobimillar:

True, a great percentage of Igbo families outside Igboland raise non Igbo speaking kids, however it is not all of the families that do this. Many families outside Igboland still raise their kids to speak Igbo fluently. The actual thing is Igbo kids most often grow up to be Igbo speaking adults later in life.

2 Likes

Re: Which Among The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 20, 2015
bigfrancis21:

True, a great percentage of Igbo families outside Igboland raise non Igbo speaking kids, however it is not all of the families that do this. Many families outside Igboland still raise their kids to speak Igbo fluently. The actual thing is Igbo kids most often grow up to be Igbo speaking adults later in life.

Yea, I never said all....but some igbo parents do it and the trend have to stop. ndi hausa will always speak their language no matter the location but It annoys me to see some igbo kids "priding" themselves with "I dont speak my language, I only speak beke ( english)

(1) (Reply)

Aeroplani Odaboo, Bamiki 'iyami Eleko, Eko Meji Tofu 'nmi Oyomi O 'oyomi: / Atyap People: A Kaduna Minority group / AGULERI OR NRI Where Actually Are Igbos Originally From?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.