Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,071 members, 7,807,208 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

What Is Your Definite Major Purpose In Life? - Personal Development - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is Your Definite Major Purpose In Life? - Personal Development (893 Views)

'Major Dagger' Drilling Students At The Nigerian Army Depot / Anti Success Symptoms That Limits Our Progress In Life / Re: A Definite Major Purpose Makes The Difference - Personal Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Definite Major Purpose In Life? - Personal Development by bare1(m): 9:23pm On Aug 17, 2015
Quite often, a lot of people find themselves with issues defining their definite life purpose. They lack self-fulfillment and know they aren't accomplishing much and also know they ought to be doing more with their lives but just seem lost and confused as to what it is. Usually this leads them to working jobs they don't desire and just have to do to make ends meet, ending up unhappy, stressed and angry. This results in them transferring their aggression to coworkers, friends, family and people they come across daily at some point.

I can relate with that because it is an experience I have felt and really did not like. It gets worse because we spend so much time at the workplace and being often exposed to such environment means that we would just get that feeling over and over again, making it a part of us and depriving us of so much pleasant things like love, happiness, friendship and the feeling of fulfillment.

Honestly we do not have to go through it, and only do so because we unconsciously choose to. We do not need to work jobs we do not find pleasant and satisfactory. As a matter of fact, we can do the things we desire and pursue our dream careers only if we decide that we want to do so. And when we are doing the things we are passionate about, we stand a better chance of success and this eventually leads to more efficiency at the workplace, healthier relationships and marriages and a happier life.

The only way to achieve this is to first discover your definite major purpose which is the driving force to lead to success and then seek and accomplish goals in that respect. When you realise the power you possess to create the life you desire, then you can strive to do just that. And this is one of the many needs for self-development.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Definite Major Purpose In Life? - Personal Development by Nobody: 10:15pm On Aug 17, 2015
My main purpose in life is to make children, provide for them and ensure they live long enough to continue my lineage.

People feel unfulfilled in life because they do not travel. Most people who travel the world -- you don't even need to travel the world, you can travel around your country and still find fulfilment. The beauty about travelling to foreign lands is seeing how other places, people and cultures intermix would give you a longing to stay alive; the discovery of diversity always leaves an impact on you that staying in one place all your life would never achieve.

I encourage everyone to save up money they'd use to travel once in a while. The farther the destination the better. Your body, mind and spirit would thank you for it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Definite Major Purpose In Life? - Personal Development by bare1(m): 3:33am On Aug 18, 2015
charix:
My main purpose in life is to make children, provide for them and ensure they live long enough to continue my lineage.

People feel unfulfilled in life because they do not travel. Most people who travel the world -- you don't even need to travel the world, you can travel around your country and still find fulfilment. The beauty about travelling to foreign lands is seeing how other places, people and cultures intermix would give you a longing to stay alive; the discovery of diversity always leaves an impact on you that staying in one place all your life would never achieve.

I encourage everyone to save up money they'd use to travel once in a while. The farther the destination the better. Your body, mind and spirit would thank you for it.

So you're saying your core values are having children and catering for them? That's what drives you? Is that strong enough to pull you through? Can you translate it into a vision? How would you ensure they live long?

As much as I agree with you on the importance of traveling, I do not believe it solely provides fulfillment. Yes you might find pleasure from traveling and gain valuable knowledge but can you find satisfaction from it? Surely you would want to visit various places over and over again to get that pleasure you seek and doing so by saving money puts more pressure on you. Of course traveling is an expensive hobby and so it is bound to put a strain on your pocket. Now we all know how money issues can be a real problem to many.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Definite Major Purpose In Life? - Personal Development by Nobody: 3:56am On Aug 18, 2015
So you're saying your core values are having children and catering for them?

When you sit to think about it, at the very core of nature this defines us and is no different from any other animal.

That's what drives you?

It drives every mammal and reptile known to man

Is that strong enough to pull you through?

Its worked for millions of years and would never fail.

Can you translate it into a vision? How would you ensure they live long?

Its simple: I'd go to school, get good grades, get certificates get a good job with those certificates, a good job would allow me get a woman who I'd then seed to give me children. With a good salary and advancements in medicine occurring every year It'd ensure most of them don't've life-threatening diseases to ensure they live long enough to have children of their own.

bare1:
As much as I agree with you on the importance of traveling, I do not believe it solely provides fulfillment. Yes you might find pleasure from traveling and gain valuable knowledge but can you find satisfaction from it? Surely you would want to visit various places over and over again to get that pleasure you seek and doing so by saving money puts more pressure on you. Of course traveling is an expensive hobby and so it is bound to put a strain on your pocket. Now we all know how money issues can be a real problem to many.

Travelling is pleasurable for every living thing. If humans never enjoyed travelling alot of innovations would've not existed and lands would remain undiscovered. Yes, travelling is an expensive hobby but only if you use flights as your major means of transportation. Also, apart from tourist destinations(heavily overpriced), you can choose to experience local life by integrating yourself into the community via renting an apartment or sharing with locals.
I can think of multiple methods to cut down costs but I feel they're unneeded if I secure a good job to support myself and the family.
Re: What Is Your Definite Major Purpose In Life? - Personal Development by bare1(m): 6:23am On Aug 18, 2015
charix:

When you sit to think about it, at the very core of nature this defines us and is no different from any other animal.

Its simple: I'd go to school, get good grades, get certificates get a good job with those certificates, a good job would allow me get a woman who I'd then seed to give me children. With a good salary and advancements in medicine occurring every year It'd ensure most of them don't've life-threatening diseases to ensure they live long enough to have children of their own.

Travelling is pleasurable for every living thing. If humans never enjoyed travelling alot of innovations would've not existed and lands would remain undiscovered. Yes, travelling is an expensive hobby but only if you use flights as your major means of transportation. Also, apart from tourist destinations(heavily overpriced), you can choose to experience local life by integrating yourself into the community via renting an apartment or sharing with locals.
I can think of multiple methods to cut down costs but I feel they're unneeded if I secure a good job to support myself and the family.

Having children might be natural for us but not much of a life purpose to me unless you say that's what you're in this life to do. Yes children can drive you to keep going but not when they're not yet in existence. Then why would I start to consider having children my purpose when I should be carving out a life that I can eventually bring them into. Perhaps you do not realise the number of families out there that have problems catering for themselves because they did not make the right decisions. Does it mean that they are not driven by having children? Or do they just choose to live small?

Having children is more of a choice now as there are even greater purposes to life. There are lots of children already who roam the streets with no one to cater for them, so I know having children is not much of a core value. If it were a strong enough drive, so many people would not wallow in poverty with so many children to feed and clothe. If it has been working for millions of years, then all the successful people I know and heard their stories would never have achieved success. Perhaps it might work for a person who chooses to live an ordinary life - or should I say exist because living life does not involve anything ordinary - and that's why you see so many people never living up to their potentials.

I have heard what you call a vision so many times. Go to school, get good grades, get a good job that would provide security. I have heard that since I was a child until I grew up and realised that it was someone else's vision. Yes that's what my parents wanted, but that is a vision dated back to 18th-19th centuries. Little wonder it doesn't seem to be working much in our society. The job security people seek do not seem to be there eventually as they end up retiring with nothing to show for. The only job security available is the one provided from working for yourself, that way no layoffs and retirements. Gladly I came to get a better understanding when I came across that 'go to school, get good grades, get a good job' crap - no offense meant - in Robert Kiyosaki's 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad'.

Now why would I want to go through all that when traveling when I should be really having fun. I do not have to stay with locals or rent apartments. Hotels are part of tourism and my vacation cannot be complete without checking in a couple of them. If I have to work so hard and then start to cut costs for vacation and leisure then I should not be in that career. Not every destination is a travel destination.

Anyway different strokes for different folks and that's one reason some are fulfilled and others are not, some successful, others unsuccessful, some working to earn a living, others making a fortune as the owners of the companies they work for. My advice to those who seek beyond an ordinary life, is that it's possible but they need a greater purpose and it should genuinely involve other people.
Re: What Is Your Definite Major Purpose In Life? - Personal Development by bare1(m): 8:10am On Aug 18, 2015
charix:

By the way, if this was an interview you didn't score any points. And if I went on, you would be amazed when you realise you don't exactly have a definite purpose.
Re: What Is Your Definite Major Purpose In Life? - Personal Development by Nobody: 1:23pm On Aug 18, 2015
We need a third party in this discussion. I'd come back when someone else contributes.
Re: What Is Your Definite Major Purpose In Life? - Personal Development by bare1(m): 1:39pm On Aug 18, 2015
charix:
We need a third party in this discussion. I'd come back when someone else contributes.

If contributors is what you need, then go to same thread in jobs/vacancies section. Like I said different strokes for different folks. If your purpose works for you, then keep at it.

(1) (Reply)

More Reason Why You Should Use Your Real Name On Facebook Et Al / How To Start Your Own Christian Home Based Business Today / Be Inspired

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.