Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,387 members, 7,808,369 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:03 AM

Traditional Meal On Good Friday - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Traditional Meal On Good Friday (5534 Views)

One Dies, 20 Hospitalised After Meal At Traditional Marriage / 7 Things Not To Do After A Meal / Good Friday: Did You Eat Meat ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Meal On Good Friday by Epi: 9:55pm On Mar 25, 2009
Where I come from, Good Friday is a valued and respected holiday more so than any other holiday.  No cooking of red meat, pork and any drinking or selling of alcohol.

I don’t eat red meat/pork on Good Friday (It’s a family tradition) instead its seafood (preferable fish) Do you follow that kind tradition?

Some of the meals are Conkie, anything made from cassava meal, and ground provisions etc serve with fish, mackerel or red herring

1love
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by Nobody: 11:41pm On Mar 25, 2009
This seems like a practice of SDA.

No meat on Friday, but fish allowed wink

I used to follow it, but now am not a SDA anymore. cheesy Although, I barely eat that much meat to begin with.

It's actually a good thing. . . .all this ppl growing big on meat needs to cool it down for atleast one day smiley

Epi, one question: Red meat is not another name for pork, is it?
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by Hauwa1: 11:57pm On Mar 25, 2009
i eat my Snail on good friday. yes snail, rodo, tatashe with oniony wink. lent is not complete without that, grin

get soy burger grin
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by Nobody: 12:01am On Mar 26, 2009
By the way you talk about snail so much, I'd like to try it.

Making a trip to publix on friday.

Hauwa, mind sharing a recipe? please?
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by Hauwa1: 12:06am On Mar 26, 2009
oh only if you can get fresh (live) snails there. i hope so.

i love fried peppered snail. but my preference is for stew. just like you make your stew: tomatoe, hot pepper, onion, curry, salt, maggi, evoo, tatashe or reddish bell pepper, snail (igbin) lol

oh goodness! outta this world. the scent of a fresh snail stew is  kiss kiss. i said fresh snail i mean those live ones. no kill the thing like Leilah did o  grin
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by Nobody: 12:10am On Mar 26, 2009
lmao.

ehrrm eww, why can't you kill the snail?

Am I supposed to like just drop it inside a pot alive?

I dnt think publix sells live snails
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by Hauwa1: 12:53am On Mar 26, 2009
i doubt it too. better live snails boku for nigeria not the kiripor they have in the stores here grin

well, what i saw my mom did was to use the hard part of a knife to hit the shell slightly then remove it. it is so easy to do. i don't know of the hot water way until Leilah posted grin suffering the poor snail cry
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by Nobody: 12:56am On Mar 26, 2009
lmaooooooooo. . . .if not hot water, then what do you use?

And do they sell those stones used to clean them?

I rem licking those stones. tasted weird and good cheesy
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by Hauwa1: 1:00am On Mar 26, 2009
you mean Alum? ewww you lick alum ke grin

i use the hard part of a knife to hit the back of the huge snail (not those baby igbin grin). after like the 3rd hit, it will be easy to remove (that's how i saw my mom did hers). then you wash with lime or alum.
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by Nobody: 1:08am On Mar 26, 2009
Yes, that thing tasted good cheesy

Then what happens? Do you season it, leave it for a while for the seasoning to sink in. Then boil, broil, or fry?

~writes down notes in journal~ cheesy
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by TOYOSI20(f): 1:20am On Mar 26, 2009
epi:

Where I come from, Good Friday is a valued and respected holiday more so than any other holiday.  No cooking of red meat and any drinking or selling of alcohol.

I don’t eat red meat on Good Friday (It’s a family tradition) instead its seafood (preferable fish) Do you follow that kind tradition?

Some of the meals are Conkie, anything made from cassava meal, and ground provisions etc serve with fish, mackerel or red herring

1love

Nice to know Good Friday is just around the corner once again . . . .Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. . . ,   cool cheesy cheesy

We usually just do sea food all through, and from Shrimp fried rice to baked red snapper, (Tilapia tends to be a little bland as far as the flavor goes),

Sea Bass, and Cat Fish are a better alternative cause of the texture and of course the taste,  kiss kiss

And in our Egusi soup we use different kinds of dried fish, and some times even lobsters and crab meat, . . . . . wink wink

must admit it isn’t as rich but difference is always very welcoming. . . . . smiley smiley

PS. ma best friend is a Vegan. So she’s used to going without meat already, she always opts for tofu, shocked shocked shocked and egg dishes,  lipsrsealed

as well as lots of green leafy Veggies too, . . . .i will put up some recipes later when I get a chance too. wink

Oh BTW Enjoy Ur Holiday!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by Nobody: 1:24am On Mar 26, 2009
OMG, YOU PPL DEY ENJOY O shocked shocked shocked
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by Hauwa1: 1:39am On Mar 26, 2009
i thought not eating anything with blood including seafood is the tradition undecided lipsrsealed wink
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by Epi: 2:43am On Mar 26, 2009
*Hauwa*:

i thought not eating anything with blood including seafood is the tradition undecided lipsrsealed wink
And you are correct, that's why I eat the salt fish rather than the fresh fish from the market.

@ES,

absolutely, no pork on Good Friday. Eating pork on a Good Friday is the "biggest" sin you can commit, a BIG no-no

*Hauwa*:

i don't know of the hot water way until Leilah posted grin suffering the poor snail cry
Dead grin grin grin grin grin grin grin hahahahahaa grin grin grin grin
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by No2Atheism(m): 5:07am On Mar 26, 2009
@toyosi20,

@Ebony-silk gave me the main lowdown about u.

I understand and accept my fate for coming into the picture far far far too late in time.

I requested ur facebook and yahoo id from her but she said i should ask u directly.

I am now asking : can i kindly have ur facebook and yahoo id pls .
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by iice(f): 10:12am On Mar 26, 2009
@Topic, and i thought Christmas and likes were very important holidays undecided

Anyway, we mostly eat Seafoods. But its not a staple since we all are of various beliefs anyway cheesy
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by nana(f): 6:26pm On Mar 29, 2009
Hmm,I make frejon for good friday. Very stressful but yummy! kiss Looking 4ward to preparing it!
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by Leilah(f): 8:18pm On Mar 30, 2009
howah, I didnt want to hurt them though! thats why i tot that throwing them into bioling water would not be a painful death!! smiley
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by Epi: 3:06pm On Apr 01, 2009
Wow!! From the responses, everyone is eating but nobody cooking on Good Friday. So am I to assume that Nairaland young ladies don’t cook. . . .Please say it aint so.

BON APPETIT tongue
Re: Traditional Meal On Good Friday by iice(f): 5:14pm On Apr 01, 2009
shocked Did you think they would just appear on the table, of course we will cook it tongue

(1) (Reply)

Ice Cream!! / Ghana Woman Finds A Man Private Part In Her Food. / How To Prepare Ekuru/ofuloju (white Moimoi And Stew)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.