Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,470 members, 7,781,365 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:13 PM

Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) (29167 Views)

'Even Jesus Christ Did Not Go To School' – APC Defends Ortom / Amah Daniel, Youngest DPO In Nigeria, Who Wowed The IGP, Idris [SEE PICS] / Man To Atiku: You Sent Your Daughter Abroad To School While You Own A University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 10:54am On Aug 18, 2015
Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandela

It goes without saying, that Education is the most powerful tool in the collective enlightenment of a society and a people, and it is not a co-incidence that the most educated and literate societies of the world, are also the most advanced in most aspects of human endeavor- Health, Standard of living, Ability to utilize their god-given resources for the betterment of their various societies, Technological and scientific breakthroughs, Sophisticated economies... ad so forth. The more the number of educated people, the greater the pool of human resources a society would be able to tap into, in sourcing the necessary mental power necessary for its development and sustainability, short or long run.
This is a breakdown of Nigeria's educational figures, citing and reviewing a number of sources, but majorly: The African development information and the National statistical bureau. The results are slightly different, but are more-or-less the same, with both bearing strong correlations and similar figures. This may be due to the fact that the statistical board latest figures ere based on 2008-2009 figures, while the African Development info's was based on 2013 figures.

Without much Ado, We move to the crux of the issue at hand, breakdown of Nigeria's education statistics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the African development Information:

The North Eastern Zone comprising: Taraba, Bauchi, Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Gombe was the least educated in the federation. 52.4% Of North Eastern Males were uneducated, while 61.1% of North Eastern Females were uneducated, resulting in an average of 56.75% Illiterate/b] and [b]43.25% Educated Youth Population

Immediately following is the NorthWestern Zone comprising Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Sokoto, Jigawa, Kebbi, and Zamfara with 46.9% Uneducated Males, and 62.8% uneducated Females, resulting in an average of 54.85% Illiterate [/b]and [b]45.15% Educated Youth Population

Next comes the North Central Zone comprising Plateau, Nassarawa, FCT, Niger, Benue, Kwara and Kogi with 22.6% uneducated Males and 38.0% uneducated Females resulting in an average figure of 30.3% Illiterate and 69.7% Educated Youth population

------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Southern Zones of the country:
The South Eastern Zone comprising: Enugu, Anambra, Imo, Ebonyi and Abia had 10.7% uneducated Males and 18.7% uneducated Females, resulting in average figures of 14.70% Illiterate and 85.3% Educated Youth Population

The South Western Zone comprising: Oyo, Lagos, Ondo, Ekiti, Osun and Ogun had 11.6% uneducated Males and 17.1% uneducated Females , resulting in an average figure of 14.35% Illiterate and 85.65% Educated Youth Population

The Southern states comprising Edo, Delta, Bayelsa, Cross River, Rivers, Akwa Ibom had[b] 6.1% uneducated Males[/b], and 13.0% uneducated females, resulting in average figures of 9.55% Illiterate and 90.45% Educated Youth Population

SOURCE: http://www.afri-dev.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Afri-Dev.Info-Public-Policy-Brief-Editorial-on-Highlights-of-2015-Nigeria-Scorecard-on-Education_Governance_Peace_Security-Boko-Haram-_0.pdf

According to the National statistics board:
Here are the national literacy rates of Nigeria's Youth population in any given Language(s), i.e percentage of Nigerian youth, able to read and write in any language (2008/2009) including English, Arabic, Etc.

Southern Situation:
Imo State had the Highest youth literacy rate in the South, and in the country at a 99.2%, followed by Lagos (99.00%), Edo (98.40%), Osun (97.10%), Ondo (97.00%), Abia (96.50%), Ekiti (96.20%). All Southern states had a youth literacy of at least 86.9%, the lowest rate in the region being Bayelsa state rate at (86.90%).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northern Situation:
The story was However different in the North. The highest ranking Northern states were all in the North Central Zone, with Kogi and Kwara scoring the Highest Literacy rate of the region, at (89.60%) and (85.80%) respectively. These were followed by Benue (82.80%), Plateau (82.70%) and the FCT (81.20%).
The following states ranked lowest in the North, and in the country: Borno (53.00%), Yobe (52.10%), Katsina (50.30%), Sokoto (49.20%), and Bauchi (48.90%) Youth Literacy rates in Any Language.

http://www.afri-dev.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Nigeria-Map-No-Female-Education-By-Geo-Political-Zones2.png
http://www.afri-dev.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Afri-Dev.Info-Public-Policy-Brief-Editorial-on-Highlights-of-2015-Nigeria-Scorecard-on-Education_Governance_Peace_Security-Boko-Haram-_0.pdf

cc: Lalasticlala, Seun, Afam4eva, OAM4J

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 10:54am On Aug 18, 2015
Booked
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by ahaz: 11:21am On Aug 18, 2015
scholes0:
Booked
una don see am?let me see any noise maker from the south west that will come here and claim education superiority.sai south south

7 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 11:27am On Aug 18, 2015
ahaz:
una don see am?let me see any noise maker from the south west that will come here and claim education superiority.sai south south

All South South States have relatively good/average rankings.
Within South West and South Eastern zones however, there are Huge regional variations. Oyo for example brings down the South West Average. It has a Huge population, and the literacy youth literacy rate there is at 88.4%, compared to a state like Ekiti over 96% of Lagos over 99%. But most states there outperform most states in the SS.

And then, that is just one of two data sets I presented. Did you see the second? SS ranks 2nd.

2 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by patrick89(m): 11:57am On Aug 18, 2015
I beg the moderators Lalasticlala and Afam4eva please never you move this misleading research to front page it's very misleading! there so many distortions in this report! this will misguide some ignorant researchers that swallow everything on Internet. Please do not push this to the front page! scholes0 is known for his misguided research

2 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 12:01pm On Aug 18, 2015
patrick89:
I beg the moderators Lalasticlala and Afam4eva please never you move this misleading research to front page it's very misleading! there so many distortions in this report! this will misguide some ignorant researchers that swallow everything on Internet. Please do not push this to the front page! scholes0 is known for his misguided research

lol.... Unless you can say what is wrong with the data... just forever shut the fck up.
And who are you to tell the mods what to do? undecided

6 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by otabuko(m): 12:01pm On Aug 18, 2015
N.O.R.T.H wan throw bomb not to school...

1 Like

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by ArodewilliamsT: 12:02pm On Aug 18, 2015
scholes0:

Within South West and South Eastern zones however, there are Huge regional variations. Oyo for example brings down the South West Average. It has a Huge population, and the literacy youth literacy rate there is at 88.4%, compared to a state like Ekiti over 96% of Lagos over 99%. But most states there outperform most state in the SS.

And then, that is just one of two data sets I presented. Did you see the second? SS ranks 2nd.

While complaing about Oyo dragging SW down. Did you extrapolate the sizeable non-indigenous population of Lagos who are mainly of SE/SS origin and educated. Will you objectively concede that their population also helped to raise the SW literacy average?

12 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 12:05pm On Aug 18, 2015
ArodewilliamsT:

While complaing about Oyo dragging SW down. Did you extrapolate the sizeable non-indigenous population of Lagos who are mainly of SE/SS origin and educated. Will you objectively concede that their population also helped to raise the SW literacy average?

I am not complaining about Oyo, I was just explaining to the SS guy about sub-regional differences
Every group of Nigerian is resident in Lagos, people from the Far North an the "middle belt" inclusive, so what do you have to say about their own contributions? The figures for Lagos is not Out of place in its region. If for example, it had a rate of 99% and all the surrounding states had abysmal literacy rates, then you idea would be honorable/considerable. smiley

Personally, I think most Youth in Lagos tend to be relatively well educated, irrespective of origin.

10 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by patrick89(m): 12:07pm On Aug 18, 2015
reserved for my shildren.....lol
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by Afam4eva(m): 1:27pm On Aug 18, 2015
ArodewilliamsT:

I would think that the findings were done using state of origin as opposed to state of residence.

I think the stats is close to the truth but does not highlight who goes to school in terms of volume.

1 Like

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 1:39pm On Aug 18, 2015
Afam4eva:

I would think that the findings were done using state of origin as opposed to state of residence.

I think the stats is close to the truth but does not highlight who goes to school in terms of volume.

You mean the Population weighted raw numbers, right?
That is why I booked that space up there, raw numbers of educated people per state and region.
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by kettykings: 2:16pm On Aug 18, 2015
This report is totally fallacious and full of misfires and deliberately falsified data
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by Afam4eva(m): 2:17pm On Aug 18, 2015
kettykings:
This report is totally fallacious and full of misfires and deliberately falsified data
Why do you think so. State your reasons, only then can we learn from each other.
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by Afam4eva(m): 2:21pm On Aug 18, 2015
Are my eyes deceiving me? I had to look at the literacy rates and I'm like "Does any state or region in Nigeria have up to 90% youth literacy rate?" There's no way that that is possible. I will put the Nigerian youth literacy at 60%.
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 2:27pm On Aug 18, 2015
Afam4eva:
Are my eyes deceiving me? I had to look at the literacy rates and I'm like "Does any state or region in Nigeria have up to 90% youth literacy rate?" There's no way that that is possible. I will put the Nigerian youth literacy at 60%.

Literacy is the Ability to read and Write in any Language.
does not have to be English... Have that at the back of your mind.

That being said, I do believe there are some states where young people within a certain age bracket are able to do basic reading and writing in English, at levels up to 90% You don't have to be Achebe, Ngugi or Soyinka to be defined as being literate.
Literacy rate in Nigeria hovers at around 60%, because some very populous northern states have abysmally low rates.
But then, this is Youth literacy, not all round literacy. So, one would expect it to be higher. Think about it.

4 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 2:32pm On Aug 18, 2015
Afam4eva:

Why do you think so. State your reasons, only then can we learn from each other.

He is probably the same guy who said the same bullshit using another account.
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by simplistical: 2:38pm On Aug 18, 2015
Afam4eva:
do you mean four out of ten Nigerian youth can not read nor write
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 2:41pm On Aug 18, 2015
simplistical:

do you mean four out of five Nigerian youth can not read nor write

60% literacy is 4 out of 10

2 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by simplistical: 2:42pm On Aug 18, 2015
scholes0:

60% literacy is 4 out of 10

i meant ten. it was a mistake. txs

1 Like

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by patrick89(m): 2:46pm On Aug 18, 2015
scholes0:

lol.... Unless you can say what is wrong with the data... just forever shut the fck up.
And who are you to tell the mods what to do? undecided
You everything about it is wrong!! you're wrong yourself

1 Like

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by BekeeBuAgbara: 2:55pm On Aug 18, 2015
''South East: 10.7% uneducated males, 18.7% uneducated females''. Thats not true, in the South East i believe more girls go to school compare to boys.

6 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by ahaz: 2:57pm On Aug 18, 2015
scholes0:

Within South West and South Eastern zones however, there are Huge regional variations. Oyo for example brings down the South West Average. It has a Huge population, and the literacy youth literacy rate there is at 88.4%, compared to a state like Ekiti over 96% of Lagos over 99%. But most states there outperform most states in the SS.

my dear tell that to the marines.no one is more educationally sophisticated than the other down south.
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 2:58pm On Aug 18, 2015
patrick89:

You everything about it is wrong!! you're wrong yourself

that's your wahala, olodo.
go challenge the people that made the data based on the national demographic and health report.
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by ahaz: 2:58pm On Aug 18, 2015
ArodewilliamsT:

pls tell the olodo

1 Like

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 2:59pm On Aug 18, 2015
ahaz:
my dear tell that to the marines.no one is more educationally sophisticated than the other down south.

You mean Lagos or Imo is not more educated than Oyo, Ebonyi or Bayelsa..
sure sir .....
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 3:02pm On Aug 18, 2015
alcmene:
Yaribas no longer go to school
This is their new profession
Backward sango worshipers

lol.... I would have replied you in Kind... but I don't want to derail this thread more than it already has.
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by AONO: 3:10pm On Aug 18, 2015
Na today we deh see d tin for inside papper ni abi no be edo state where I served some years back, don't be deceived by papper go dere and see for urself
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by aresa: 3:22pm On Aug 18, 2015
ArodewilliamsT:

You have any data to back that up with? Shouldn't their own kinsman and women from sorounding states be mainly the non indigene.?
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by FKO81(m): 3:41pm On Aug 18, 2015
Federal Office of Statistics on education, showing that 3 Igbo states for the past 14 years have constantly had the largest number of graduates in the country, these eastern states are Imo, Anambra and Abia
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by Adelaide2: 3:44pm On Aug 18, 2015
This is fake

In the current statistics and consistently for the past several years SE has been leading. See links here

https://www.nairaland.com/36515/most-educated-nigerians

and here
https://www.nairaland.com/2524096/see-where-beggars-nigeria-come/1

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

20 Fulanis And 80 Cows Killed In Nasarawa / Festus Keyanmo Caution Those Calling For Violence / Crisis Brews In APC Over Ministerial List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.