Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,352 members, 7,800,703 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? (58739 Views)

Women, Childbirth And Laziness / Most Painful Death Of A Loved One You Had / Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by spoilt(f): 5:06am On Jul 23, 2009
Who said its exaggerated? Show me that person.
Childbirth is definitely the worst pain I have experienced and endured. It hurt. I thought i was going to pass out. I could feel the baby doing whatever it was doing in there trying to get out. It was the wierdest feeling of my life. No position was comfortable. I sat, I stood, I walked, I crouched, I rolled.Labor left me incoherent and seeing things. I was just begging God to save me from this baby.
I was begging for that epidural like it was crack. I needed relief. Ive never begged for anything like that. As soon as i got it i felt instant relief. My panic subsided and i was calm. As soon as my baby came out I was crying more in relief than anything else. It was like I had been set free.

I was kind of traumatized. Physically i was ok. But mental recovery was a long time coming. A looooooooong time. Still havent done it again. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by sexyLeamon(f): 2:27pm On Jul 23, 2009
even more scare now cheesy
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by mcgboye(m): 3:33pm On Jul 23, 2009
;d
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by mohawkchic(f): 3:17am On Oct 28, 2009
sweetpie23:

childbirth is like going through a physical pain and experiencing an emotional joy afterward.

[size=13pt]~And you would know because. . . . undecided[/size]
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by mohawkchic(f): 3:21am On Oct 28, 2009
spoilt:

Who said its exaggerated? Show me that person.
Childbirth is definitely the worst pain I have experienced and endured. It hurt. I thought i was going to pass out. I could feel the baby doing whatever it was doing in there trying to get out. It was the wierdest feeling of my life.  No position was comfortable. I sat, I stood, I walked, I crouched, I rolled.Labor left me incoherent and seeing things. I was just begging God to save me from this baby.
I was begging for that epidural like it was crack. I needed relief. Ive never begged for anything like that. As soon as i got it i felt instant relief. My panic subsided and i was calm. As soon as my baby came out I was crying more in relief than anything else. It was like I had been set free.

I was kind of traumatized. Physically i was ok. But mental recovery was a long time coming. A looooooooong time. Still havent done it again.  undecided

[size=13pt]~Me & You Both!! I'm ceratin i dont want to do it Again!! Yeah I'm that Selfish!! grin[/size]
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by Sissy3(f): 4:39am On Oct 28, 2009
mohawkchic:

[size=13pt]~Me & You Both!! I'm ceratin i dont want to do it Again!! Yeah I'm that Selfish!! grin[/size]

nah . . .one more would be enough tongue
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by sweetpie23: 11:38am On Oct 28, 2009
mohawkchic:

[size=13pt]~And you would know because. . . . undecided[/size]

my mother tell me so.
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by mohawkchic(f): 9:15pm On Oct 28, 2009
~Sissy~:

nah . . .one more would be enough tongue

[size=13pt]~No Ta! grin It's more a Lifestyle choice than the actual experience of giving Birth for me. . .

~I wudnt want to scare off any Wud-be-Mums cheesy [/size]
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by mohawkchic(f): 9:17pm On Oct 28, 2009
sweetpie23:

my mother tell me so.

[size=13pt]~O! You'd forgive for thinking You might have actually experienced it! grin [/size]
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by Fhemmmy: 10:26pm On Oct 28, 2009
Go into the labour room with a woman and let her hold your hands while in pain, and you can come back to answer the question
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by lexandra(f): 10:51am On Oct 29, 2009
Sighs, deep breath, sighs again!!!

Now my fears are worse, I had this same fear as I was growing up in my early twenties, so I went to my mother and asked her, " mummy is true that child birth is sooooooooooooooo painful to the point of death?" She simply said NO, afterall she had seven of us, that if it was that painful, she would not have continued having children up to 7 and that if she still wanted more children, she would have continued, And my dad's mum( grandma) had 18 births, which is true, I actually remember this very well, Infact I witnessed my only sister being born.

My dad was not in the country that year, so my fathers mum (grandma) came to stay with us because my mum was almost due, but we all slept in separate rooms. Then suddenly my mum called me and said her tommy is turnning her, u know , she complained of slight abdominal pains and rolled off her bed to the floor, my immediate elder brother and I sat by her side, and in a few mins she said, Alexx pls. go and call grandma, now grandma was sleeping in the next room to ours in same flat, coming back in a few seconds, my only sister was already born and was crying, right there by my mum alone, and in the house. By this time my grandma was by her side and took over from there.

By day break she went to see her doctor in the hospital with the baby and still came came back with my sister that same day , she was adorable and sweet, I still recall.
My mum later told me that she was not due that day, but the baby just came, but still mother and child were healthy and ok.

In a nut shell I believe it varies, and like in most cases , peoples situations are not always thesame, and before I wrap it up, an instance is menstrual pain or cramps, mine is excrutiating pain, it used to be so bad that there was a particular month I passed out, I just slumpped in the middle of the pain and felt peace, but I later I woke up in the hospital. On somany occassions I was admitted, just for menstrual pain, it was that bad back then, to the extent that my family members took it upon them selves to also fast and pray about it, but still each month that came it got worse.

Then one day my dad said "GOD TAKE THIS PAIN OF MY LITTLE GIRL PLS, IF THERE'S NO WHERE TO THROW THIS PAIN, PLS. GIVE IT TO ME AS HER DAD, , AS A MAN I BELIEVE I'LL BE ABLE TO BEAR THE PAIN, MUCH MORE THAN HER" I can't forget this, am sure popsi has forgotten because so much time has rolled by, but to me its like yesterday. But my sister does not even know what this pain feels like, she does not feel the slightest of pain when she's on. I believe same applies to childbirth. But with God all things are possible to them that believe, and at thesame time can do all things thru' Christ that strengthens me.
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by agathamari(f): 5:42pm On Oct 29, 2009
put it this way your squesing a cantelope out of a hole the size of a quarter.
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by mohawkchic(f): 8:47pm On Oct 29, 2009
agathamari:

put it this way your squesing a cantelope out of a hole the size of a quarter.

[size=13pt] ~ cheesy[/size]
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by agathamari(f): 10:36pm On Oct 29, 2009
go on youtube and watch some videos of people giving birth
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by mohawkchic(f): 12:23am On Oct 30, 2009
[size=13pt]~I've got a mental pic of my personal experience. . lets just say Giving Birth isnt on my list of "Things-I-Will-Do-All-Over-Again" grin[/size]
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by sweetpie23: 1:34pm On Oct 30, 2009
mohawkchic:

[size=13pt]~O! You'd forgive for thinking You might have actually experienced it! grin [/size]

no undecided
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 30, 2009
i am scared to my bones undecided undecided

Going to do some research on epidural straight up!!
Thumps up to everyone that has passed through it

1 Like

Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by queenesthr(f): 5:34pm On Oct 30, 2009
The first child birth is usually more painful than the subsequent ones.
But the pain disappears the moment the baby comes out.
Like another poster said, avoid CS if you can, it's worse than normal delivery.
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by Sissy3(f): 11:19pm On Oct 30, 2009
queenesthr:

The first child birth is usually more painful than the subsequent ones.
But the pain disappears the moment the baby comes out.
Like another poster said, avoid CS if you can, it's worse than normal delivery.

not every woman experiences that dear.
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by sandee575(f): 2:30pm On Nov 06, 2009
sexyLeamon, since you have been able to handle passing hard stool, the feeling is similar.
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 06, 2009
sandee575:

sexyLeamon, since you have been able to handle passing hard stool, the feeling is similar.
Rofl what a joke grin
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by ayomidej(f): 2:40pm On Nov 06, 2009
To some its very painful and others just have it easy, whatever be the case just take it easy.
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by honeric01(m): 3:57pm On Nov 06, 2009
Watch this video, this woman didn't even make any noise nor did she struggle. i think it depends on the individual.
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by Sissy3(f): 1:20am On Nov 10, 2009
honeric01:

Watch this video, this woman didn't even make any noise nor did she struggle. i think it depends on the individual.

true. childbirth is just of those things you cant actually describe to someone. i mean  like telling the person its the most painful or easiest thing in the world because its just a personal thing that one must experience themselves in order to know it.

so i'd say knowing whether childbirth is exaggerated or not means, you really have to experience it yourself because its just a personal thing
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by honeric01(m): 1:02pm On Nov 10, 2009
~Sissy~:

true. childbirth is just of those things you cant actually describe to someone. i mean  like telling the person its the most painful or easiest thing in the world because its just a personal thing that one must experience themselves in order to know it.

so i'd say knowing whether childbirth is exaggerated or not means, you really have to experience it yourself because its just a personal thing

Exactly my point. some people can't tolerate pain while some can, that's life.
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by Mimicole(f): 11:51pm On Dec 11, 2009
Look arnd u at 15 n 16 year olds that do it seemingly effortlessly n even get on d move again 4 journey no 2 even wtout moral support 4rm any spouse, talkin abt unwanted pregnancies. 4 me dt was my major motivating factor, 'if dt little girl could do it why can't I?' To me sha it was more like severe menstrual cramps.
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by awa1(f): 7:36am On Dec 12, 2009
it is a lot of pain, but it is a pain that as soon as the baby is out it stops. then it becomes just like a hurting stomach, cramps, things you can deal with.

but during the birth, you want to scream, yell, fight because it hurts so much.
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by Lolladey(f): 4:12pm On Dec 14, 2009
it was painful(infact really painful) for me but after the whole show and when i saw my baby, i told myself that she is worth the pains. but going by what i heard from some doctors, it is not usually so for everybody and the labour time varies from one person to the other.
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by freshera: 5:52pm On Oct 12, 2010
I found this interesting account of childbirth on Yahoo by a mother of three.

I have given birth three times.

17hr labours each time

Naturally,  no drugs.

One of them the baby was in the Complete Occipoto Posterior postion,  which is harder than a breech birth,

Let me tell you this. When ppl tell you how much it hurts before you have ever had a kid, you think it is pushing the baby out that is the worst bit,  it's not.

[b]It's the contractions. They take you over, they start out like a muscle cramp (you may have had one in your leg where you couldn't move it?) The cramping covers from the top of your bump, all over your belly, your back and down to your legs. Every 7 minutes.'

Each contraction gets longer, and closer together, and more concentrated.You will never feel closer to death. After dealing with these for twelve hours you are at the point where they are 2-3 minutes apart.

That means for the next five to eight hours you will have approximately another hundred of these,  and they are intense. So intense you forget where you are. You don't even know who you are,  who's there,  There is no way to describe the burning tearing ripping contracting of your uterus as you have no control over it,

Then you feel like you need to do a #2,  you may whisper it to the nurse as it's too much energy to talk, or scream at your husband (like me) that you need to take a ****

[size=13pt]It is EXACTLY like you are pushing a baby out of your bottom grin grin grin grin grin grin[/size],  and you have been constipated with this baby for ten months. No kidding. Think of your worst ever constipation and how hard that was to push out. Now times that by 1000.

You have no control of this pushing feeling, which is not forgiven by the contractions that are now on top of each other, you have lost all sense of time and life as you just vow to keep your heart beating through it,  it's all you feel you can do at this point. [/b]
Your perinium and vagin.a feels like someone is pouring bubbling oil from the hotplate over it,  and not stopping,

You have all of this pressure, pain, intensity and you just cannot help yourself from pushing,  then the midwife tells you you cannot push yet as you are not dilated enough,  you puff and pand and squeal your way through the next hour while your life depends on holding on to your bottom while trying not to do the thing that will relieve it all,  which is push,

Finally the midwife says you are ready. You tell th midwife you are ready too,  to deck her. You pull up your knees and put your red sweaty forehead to them and with an animalistic groan grin grin  and a new light at the end of the tunnel you start pushing,  you are hungry for this pain to stop, you need this baby out,  but it feels like the oil is still being poured over your sensitive red raw genita.ls. Finally you feel almighty stretched and raw,  the head is out

The midwife asks if you want to touch it,  you want to but cannot even move your arms. Everything hurts. Your hair on your arms hurt if someone touches it. Your fingernails hurt, your eyelashes feel next to death,  nothing feels closer to hell.

She says you can push again,  and you do,  You let out an almighty screm, buckle down and feel your insides getting ripped out.

Then you hear a cry. It is the most beautiful sound in the world. Relief washes over you, it is unbelievable. It is the worlds biggest mental orgas.m anyone could ever experience,  the pain goes,  it stops,  the room is quiet, all those hours seem like an instant memory,

You feel your babies skin, it is so soft and smooth, her little lips aremoist and her eyes trying to get used to the light. You have a sudden urge to say, that is q light, this is your daddy, thats your first chair,

Thy take the baby to weigh it and surpriser you with the news it is now time to deliver the plkacenta,

You have no intention of going through that pain ever again. After all, yours was the worst labour in the world, right!?

The midwife presses on your belly and grabs one end of the umbilical cord,  and pulls slightly to see if it is ready,  it is. So she pulls, you can feel it tear away from your uterus but you dont mind, it feels weird but you have just lived through death,  then it comes sloshing out,  Nothing really I can explain,  it feels like you have just been gutted and its been pulled out thru yoour womanliness really.

So yeah, I went on to have two more after that,  silly me!! LOL But I did it because there is nothing more rewarding, more satisfying in your life to experience the love a mother has for her child. It is overwhelming and addictive and surreal and highly, highly reccommended.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100202170654AACrdGi

Second account

It's absolutely the worst pain imaginable. no, actually, you can't even imagine that kind of pain, it's so bad.

I am speaking from experience. my epidural wore off before my son was out, and I felt everything.

I thought, seriously, that the lower part of my body (my rear and pelvis) was literally going to explode into pieces before he would make it out.

But, amazingly, right after he came out, the pain disappeared and the more I admired my new little miracle, the faster I forgot all about the pain. [size=13pt]It was definitely worth it![/size]

1 Like

Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by Omolola1(f): 6:06pm On Oct 12, 2010
Oh my! This is really making me scared~
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by mutter(f): 10:35pm On Oct 13, 2010
It really is not that that bad.
Most women are in so much pain because they panic and stiffen themselves up and fight against nature taking its cause.
You need to learn the right breathing techniques and then the pain is bearable and the experience is quite awesome.
I had all my kids naturally and quite honestly I did not find the pain unbearable. Remember that between contractions the pain goes away.
I think you need to get your self more informed about natural birthing.
Re: Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? by ada24: 12:53am On Oct 14, 2010
mutter:

It really is not that that bad.
Most women are in so much pain because they panic and stiffen themselves up and fight against nature taking its cause.
You need to learn the right breathing techniques and then the pain is bearable and the experience is quite awesome.
I had all my kids naturally and quite honestly I did not find the pain unbearable. Remember that between contractions the pain goes away.
I think you need to get your self more informed about natural birthing.

every woman is different. many women i speak to tell me that childbirth is painful and I for one am not looking forward to it, but I have zoned my mind on the joy I will get after the pain.

as for me whatever is on offer I will take - in fact if a machine is invented in the next 2 months that allows the pain to be transferred to another human being I will happily sign up for that as well, if childbirth is more painful than this pregnancy i'm carrying abeg someone should just drug me now.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Children Of Strict Parents Turn Out To Be Worse / Meet Sayo And Jomi: Taiwo Sayo & Kehinde Folajomi, Identical Twin Sisters / I Couldn't Say A Word When I Saw This (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.