Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,840 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix (3583 Views)

Why Science Doesn't Equal Atheism / Which Religion Do You Think Potrays These / Religious Atheism EXPOSED : God Without Religion and Religion Without God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:31pm On Aug 18, 2015
As a christian, I cringe at times when I consider the messages that science fiction movies and novels try to pass on. It is not that science fiction is a dull or ridiculous genre of art and literature- in fact, science fiction has actually given scientists some inspiration for many inventions. The problem comes when some sci-fi stories end with chilling implications.

So, here are 5 troubling implications for religion that some sci-fi movies and novels have;

1) Changing history with time-travel; changing history through time-travel is a common trope in science fiction. However, the implication of such is that one could go to the past and kill anyone in order to change history. Well, that means that one could kill Martin Luther King, past popes and any prophet during biblical times.

2) Trying to become a creator; another common occurrence in sci-fi stories is the creation of conscious beings (usually robots). In essence, scientists are trying to become God by being able to fully understand consciousness and create conscious beings like humans.

3) Cheating death and the afterlife; continuing with the idea that humans can understand consciousness and create conscious beings, there is the implication that one day, humans could live forever because we would be able to transfer our consciousness into another being when our bodies are weak. This literally happened in the movie “Chappie” where a conscious robot transferred his human mother’s mind into a robot’s body.

4) Aliens are our gods; There is the “space engineer” or “space Jesus” theory that posits that religious deities were actually aliens from space who came to give man technology and guidance. This is heavily used in the movie “Prometheus” which overtly tries to say that humans were created by an alien race called the engineers.

5) There is no spoon (we don’t exist); This is the central message in “The Matrix” movie. The movie plays with the idea that humans are not exactly in the real world. The movie explains that what we as humans are experiencing as real life is actually a computer simulation and that we are actually asleep in some farm lab as guinea pigs.

cc
Plaetton
Joseph1832
Deepsight
onetrack
johnydon22
texanomaly
muskeeto
francistony
nihilist

Source; http://allnaijablog.com/5-reasons-why-science-fiction-and-religion-do-not-mix
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 18, 2015
The Point is?
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:42pm On Aug 18, 2015
starlingslimnet:
The Point is?

There are troubling implications in for religion when one considers the implications of common science fiction tropes. Read the op.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 18, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

There are troubling implications in for religion when one considers the implications of common science fiction tropes. Read the op.
Make I no hinder business......
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by texanomaly(f): 10:32pm On Aug 18, 2015
Modified:

I'm sorry for not addressing the op and For my LB comment. Here are my thoughts.

I have not problem with SyFy movies. I love them actually.

1. The idea of time travel intrigues me.

2. It's just a movie. I don't believe Man will create "conscious" robots. Robots that are programmed better and better, I believe.

3. I enjoyed Chappie and all the Final Destination movies. That doesn't mean I believe it can happen.

4. Prometheus is another great movie. Loved it. Again...I don't believe it, but it is an interesting concept.

5. Another really cool concept. Do I believe it? Of course not, but great movies.

I don't have a problem with SyFy. As I said I really like them. I think what we all need to keep in mind is that they are only movies. Another thing to keep in mind is that there is nothing wrong with stretching your imagination. Remember, "It's just a movie!"
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 11:22pm On Aug 18, 2015
ok
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by texanomaly(f): 12:05am On Aug 19, 2015
Modified ^^^
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 12:17am On Aug 19, 2015
texanomaly:
Modified:

I'm sorry for not addressing the op and For my LB comment. Here are my thoughts.

I have not problem with SyFy movies. I love them actually.

1. The idea of time travel intrigues me.

2. It's just a movie. I don't believe Man will create "conscious" robots. Robots that are programmed better and better, I believe.

3. I enjoyed Chappie and all the Final Destination movies. That doesn't mean I believe it can happen.

4. Prometheus is another great movie. Loved it. Again...I don't believe it, but it is an interesting concept.

5. Another really cool concept. Do I believe it? Of course not, but great movies.

I don't have a problem with SyFy. As I said I really like them. I think what we all need to keep in mind is that they are only movies. Another thing to keep in mind is that there is nothing wrong with stretching your imagination. Remember, "It's just a movie!"

Yeah. I have no worries with your comment. I was just wondering if any of the 5 sci-fi tropes I mentioned could ever become real. They have little or no chance of becoming real with the current technology we have.

Lots of things in science fiction have actually become real science. So, it is not too far fetched to consider what would be the implications if some sci-fi tropes ever became real?

It is just a hypothetical argument.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by johnydon22(m): 8:26am On Aug 19, 2015
[b][size=20]1[/size]Time travel is a scientifically plausible phenomenon predicted by the General theory of relativity.. . But in the same breathe the same theory shows us how that phenomenon is impossible to us.

The Speed of light travels at 299,792,458m/s, and if you can achieve this speed of light or something faster you can travel back and forth in time because in science time is a quantum dimension

But if you achieve the speed of light the mass of the body in motion will run at infinite and so is the energy required thus E=mc2 Alas time travel through that means may be far fetched to unless we somehow discover an infinite source of energy.

The calculations of the theory of relativity also predicts a point in the cosmos where gravity, time and space are intertwined, more like a short tunnel that you can enter through one point and emerge to a far more distant part of the universe or time as a matter of seconds.. The wormhole or Einstein rosen-bridge.

curiously enough the early Scandinavians mentioned a bridge the God's (odin, thor and co) used to travel from their own realm down to earth called the Bifrost (you may see this in some Sci-Fi movies but this is actually a real mythology of the Vikings) So it is Curious how the theory of relativity predicted such bridge and the Vikings also have it in their old mythologies. . . the possibilities are breathe taking.

[size=20]2[/size]Consciousness in Biological entities are as a result or is the source of perception. . Every biological organism we can think of is conscious ranging from micro organisms like Amoeba, Euglena, Paramecium, trees, plants and ultimately large animals where man falls under.

This consciousness is as a result of interactions and activities in the perceptive cells of the organism, consciousness is not limited to man it's a trait every biological entity share. . Recreating perceptive abilities in robots to the extent that they achieve human-like intelligence or characteristic still doesn't make them biological entities it is still a form of artificial intelligence... Man is a creator already doesn't necessarily need to recreate consciousness.

[size=20]3[/size]First i don't buy the ancient idea of an Afterlife, the Hindus and later Egyptians who came up with that idea where only acting on their selfish desire to live more. . . Since our consciousness have not been infinitely around backwards without our body how in the world do we still think it will be around infinitely forward without our body, consciousness of every living organism depends on its neuroperceptive activities and when that stops (dies) it is gone.

Transferring a human mind to a robotic entity may be plausible to conceive because many hypothetical ways this can be achieved comes to mind But again so many ways this is short-come(d) comes to mind
(e.g)transferring and sustaining a human brain in a robotic body, human consciousness is not dependent on brain alone so this alone kills the idea that the result will be of human consciousness, it still is robotic . . .

Modern humans (now) are said to be more beautiful and well built in a very small way than ancient humans and this evolutionary (developmental) trait will continue way into the future. . Even if humans do not come out with a means of sustaining life for a longer period of time (not necessarily forever) i think human anatomical characteristics can develop to a stage where it will last far more longer than now or sadly shorter than now sad
(There is a tortoise specie that stays up to 600years now, imagine what we could do with that wink)

[size=20]4[/size]Many things are pointing towards that direction, ancient texts, myths and legends.

The Sumerian Anunakis, it is clear that every semitic myth and legend found in many civilization around sumer both biblical, and others Originated from Sumer.

Sumerian texts has most of the biblical legends written down in cuneiform and in more explicit details and dates back thousands of years before other texts.

The word "Elohim" in semitic means "Gods" "The Gods" and in much younger canaanite civilization is used to depict the God El and consort Asherah.

There is no doubt to this people Elohim is plural and in Sumerian texts the Anunakis are the ones referred to as Elohim. that's why most times in the written legends they always identify with plural.

In the Sumerian Eridu Genesis records "Let US create man" and these were the Gods An , Enlil , Enki and Ninhursanga, also linked to be Anunakis. . . Remarkably an earlier text (tho most know is a mythological recopying) the jewish torah also records in Genesis "Let US create man in our own image" and the word "Elohim" also pops up of which they haven't and cannot still decide conclusively who the US are tho the Sumerian text from where it was copied makes this known (because of it's polytheistic nature)

The Vikings like i mentioned earlier also recorded the God's coming from another dimension with the use of a bifrost which can be equated with the scientific Wormhole or Einstein Rosen bridge. . . many of these instances if taken into consideration depicts a very highly developed and civilized society visiting earth....

The idea of Gods actually being Aliens are very plausible, many things suggests that and many ancient civilizations. . . But let us wait for actual proofs of which more study can reveal to us and ultimately let those Alien Species visit again (Oops they might be dead) so at least their offsprings, am sure we will take them up on some tete a tete and they might also have records of such visits other than just relying on our explanations of observed clues....

[size=20]5[/size]To this i say Duje vou, lets wait to wake up in the actual lab then before we can decide or know if that assumption is true and also hope we also are not asleep in another lab . . lol.. grin
[/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:33am On Aug 19, 2015
Johnnydon22, I knew you wouldn't fail to give an interesting argument.

However, this is too much for me now this morning. You have given me lots to think about. I will tackle you later today. grin
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by joseph1832(m): 9:14am On Aug 19, 2015
Well in my candid opinion Si fi movies are just make belief. The creation of a mind that loves adventure and use the power of imagination.

However this may be, we must know that many of the inventions we seen use and enjoy today are the product of an adventurous mind, a mind with the powerful gift of imagination, thus the saying: "if you can think it, you can make/achieve it".

Religion is what I don't like talking about but when it entwine with science, it becomes something else entirely, particularly, for this reason, men like Galileo Galilee, Isaac Newton, Da vinci and others found themselves at logger heads with 'the church'.

Now to address your position AllNaijaBlogger:

1. Time Travel:[/b]The idea of time travel is fun to toy with but deadly to do. Changing history will always lead to severe consequences as mother nature often fights back and sometimes, she fights dirty.

If you've seen the movie 'Time Machine' and if you've studied time like I have you'll know somethings are just bound to happen without us being able to do anything bout it.

[b]2. Becoming Creator:
Aside Si fi movies we human are also creators, we created many things, e.g phones, aeroplanes, ships, television etc. I believe 'creator' doesn't actually mean creating a robot but creating or inventing something. So to me, we humans are creators. Never forget that the Bible addressed us as 'gods' Psalm 82 V 6.

3. Cheating death and the afterlife: Well I only believe that it is only shallow minded people who want to cheat death, even scientist attest to the existence of another realm apart from the physical. Such people will always find themselves at the receiving end of nature.

4. Aliens are our gods: [/b]Well I do believe the universe is just too big a place for humans to be alone. Our concept of aliens differ, but permit me to say I angels and demons are not human so I call them aliens. grin

The movies Prometheus is just giving its own version of how humans can into existence.

[b]5. There is no spoon (The Matrix):
"What is the Matrix? The Matrix is a computer generated dream world built to keep the human race under control". "What is real? If you're talking abut what you can see, feel taste or touch, then real is simply electrical impulses interpreted by your brain" -Morpheus.

The Matrix is a movie I will forever respect, its my best movie of all time as it deals with what determine the success or failure of every human 'choice'. 'Choice' is the basic message of the Matrix. The spoon analogy was only used to give Neo the clear message that in the Matrix, nothing is real.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by plaetton: 12:56pm On Aug 19, 2015
On my universe, religion is already dead.
In my universe, the streets of history are littered with the decayed and decaying corpses of dead and dying gods.

What we are dealing with now, especially here on Nairaland, is the negative legacies, aftershocks and withdrawal symptons from long dead and dying religions.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by DeepSight(m): 2:01pm On Aug 19, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:
As a christian, I cringe at times when I consider the messages that science fiction movies and novels try to pass on. It is not that science fiction is a dull or ridiculous genre of art and literature- in fact, science fiction has actually given scientists some inspiration for many inventions. The problem comes when some sci-fi stories end with chilling implications.

So, here are 5 troubling implications for religion that some sci-fi movies and novels have;

1) Changing history with time-travel; changing history through time-travel is a common trope in science fiction. However, the implication of such is that one could go to the past and kill anyone in order to change history. Well, that means that one could kill Martin Luther King, past popes and any prophet during biblical times.

2) Trying to become a creator; another common occurrence in sci-fi stories is the creation of conscious beings (usually robots). In essence, scientists are trying to become God by being able to fully understand consciousness and create conscious beings like humans.

3) Cheating death and the afterlife; continuing with the idea that humans can understand consciousness and create conscious beings, there is the implication that one day, humans could live forever because we would be able to transfer our consciousness into another being when our bodies are weak. This literally happened in the movie “Chappie” where a conscious robot transferred his human mother’s mind into a robot’s body.

4) Aliens are our gods; There is the “space engineer” or “space Jesus” theory that posits that religious deities were actually aliens from space who came to give man technology and guidance. This is heavily used in the movie “Prometheus” which overtly tries to say that humans were created by an alien race called the engineers.

5) There is no spoon (we don’t exist); This is the central message in “The Matrix” movie. The movie plays with the idea that humans are not exactly in the real world. The movie explains that what we as humans are experiencing as real life is actually a computer simulation and that we are actually asleep in some farm lab as guinea pigs.

cc
Plaetton
Joseph1832
Deepsight
onetrack
johnydon22
texanomaly
muskeeto
francistony
nihilist

Source; http://allnaijablog.com/5-reasons-why-science-fiction-and-religion-do-not-mix

4 and 5 are almost certainly true.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by davien(m): 2:56pm On Aug 19, 2015
looking at some answers here,some think the only things possible need your belief for them to be possible...

1. Time travel is possible....we're in fact traveling through time everyday...backwards time-travel is also theoretically possible but may not be practical...

2. Conscious machines....nobody has enough information to conclude if it's possible or not,without an understanding consciousness as performed by a biological brain....

3. An after-life is a very baseless concept...one that tunes the fancy of our human desires...it isunprovable and can't be disproved either...making it equal to make-belief and fairy tales...

4. Aliens creating humans isn't impossible,but it begs the question of where and how the aliens themselves came to be....as always,evidence is needed to make any conclusion promoting this...

5.Reality being a simulation is a mind-binding thought...but again,without evidence we are constrained to live lives by the rules of the reality we experience(whether it's truly fake or real)..
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:30am On Aug 22, 2015
johnydon22:
[b][size=20]1[/size]Time travel is a scientifically plausible phenomenon predicted by the General theory of relativity.. . But in the same breathe the same theory shows us how that phenomenon is impossible to us.

The Speed of light travels at 299,792,458m/s, and if you can achieve this speed of light or something faster you can travel back and forth in time because in science time is a quantum dimension

But if you achieve the speed of light the mass of the body in motion will run at infinite and so is the energy required thus E=mc2 Alas time travel through that means may be far fetched to unless we somehow discover an infinite source of energy.

The calculations of the theory of relativity also predicts a point in the cosmos where gravity, time and space are intertwined, more like a short tunnel that you can enter through one point and emerge to a far more distant part of the universe or time as a matter of seconds.. The wormhole or Einstein rosen-bridge.

curiously enough the early Scandinavians mentioned a bridge the God's (odin, thor and co) used to travel from their own realm down to earth called the Bifrost (you may see this in some Sci-Fi movies but this is actually a real mythology of the Vikings) So it is Curious how the theory of relativity predicted such bridge and the Vikings also have it in their old mythologies. . . the possibilities are breathe taking.

[size=20]2[/size]Consciousness in Biological entities are as a result or is the source of perception. . Every biological organism we can think of is conscious ranging from micro organisms like Amoeba, Euglena, Paramecium, trees, plants and ultimately large animals where man falls under.

This consciousness is as a result of interactions and activities in the perceptive cells of the organism, consciousness is not limited to man it's a trait every biological entity share. . Recreating perceptive abilities in robots to the extent that they achieve human-like intelligence or characteristic still doesn't make them biological entities it is still a form of artificial intelligence... Man is a creator already doesn't necessarily need to recreate consciousness.

[size=20]3[/size]First i don't buy the ancient idea of an Afterlife, the Hindus and later Egyptians who came up with that idea where only acting on their selfish desire to live more. . . Since our consciousness have not been infinitely around backwards without our body how in the world do we still think it will be around infinitely forward without our body, consciousness of every living organism depends on its neuroperceptive activities and when that stops (dies) it is gone.

Transferring a human mind to a robotic entity may be plausible to conceive because many hypothetical ways this can be achieved comes to mind But again so many ways this is short-come(d) comes to mind
(e.g)transferring and sustaining a human brain in a robotic body, human consciousness is not dependent on brain alone so this alone kills the idea that the result will be of human consciousness, it still is robotic . . .

Modern humans (now) are said to be more beautiful and well built in a very small way than ancient humans and this evolutionary (developmental) trait will continue way into the future. . Even if humans do not come out with a means of sustaining life for a longer period of time (not necessarily forever) i think human anatomical characteristics can develop to a stage where it will last far more longer than now or sadly shorter than now sad
(There is a tortoise specie that stays up to 600years now, imagine what we could do with that wink)

[size=20]4[/size]Many things are pointing towards that direction, ancient texts, myths and legends.

The Sumerian Anunakis, it is clear that every semitic myth and legend found in many civilization around sumer both biblical, and others Originated from Sumer.

Sumerian texts has most of the biblical legends written down in cuneiform and in more explicit details and dates back thousands of years before other texts.

The word "Elohim" in semitic means "Gods" "The Gods" and in much younger canaanite civilization is used to depict the God El and consort Asherah.

There is no doubt to this people Elohim is plural and in Sumerian texts the Anunakis are the ones referred to as Elohim. that's why most times in the written legends they always identify with plural.

In the Sumerian Eridu Genesis records "Let US create man" and these were the Gods An , Enlil , Enki and Ninhursanga, also linked to be Anunakis. . . Remarkably an earlier text (tho most know is a mythological recopying) the jewish torah also records in Genesis "Let US create man in our own image" and the word "Elohim" also pops up of which they haven't and cannot still decide conclusively who the US are tho the Sumerian text from where it was copied makes this known (because of it's polytheistic nature)

The Vikings like i mentioned earlier also recorded the God's coming from another dimension with the use of a bifrost which can be equated with the scientific Wormhole or Einstein Rosen bridge. . . many of these instances if taken into consideration depicts a very highly developed and civilized society visiting earth....

The idea of Gods actually being Aliens are very plausible, many things suggests that and many ancient civilizations. . . But let us wait for actual proofs of which more study can reveal to us and ultimately let those Alien Species visit again (Oops they might be dead) so at least their offsprings, am sure we will take them up on some tete a tete and they might also have records of such visits other than just relying on our explanations of observed clues....

[size=20]5[/size]To this i say Duje vou, lets wait to wake up in the actual lab then before we can decide or know if that assumption is true and also hope we also are not asleep in another lab . . lol.. grin
[/b]

So you agree with all the points and believe that they could be possible in the future.

But you don't believe in the afterlife. But then again, some scientists accept that there could be another dimension where matter and space do not matter. That could be a form of afterlife.

What about alternate earths?
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:39am On Aug 22, 2015
davien:

3. An after-life is a very baseless concept...one that tunes the fancy of our human desires...it isunprovable and can't be disproved either...making it equal to make-belief and fairy tales...

Why is an afterlife a baseless concept?

Please check out below the comment I gave Johnydon22 earlier-

"But you don't believe in the afterlife. But then again, some scientists accept that there could be another dimension where matter and space do not matter. That could be a form of afterlife.
What about alternate earths?"
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:43am On Aug 22, 2015
plaetton:
On my universe, religion is already dead.
In my universe, the streets of history are littered with the decayed and decaying corpses of dead and dying gods.

What we are dealing with now, especially here on Nairaland, is the negative legacies, aftershocks and withdrawal symptons from long dead and dying religions.

Ideas are like energy, they can't just die.

And what has been the greatest idea for man? Religion. It spreads, it influences, it transcends.

Religion cannot die. If religion is dead in your universe, you must live in fairy lala-land- also known as "imaginary land".

Religion is just like energy, it doesn't die, it only changes form.

Christianity has changed. Look at how peaceful we are compared to the crusades of the early centuries.

I have changed also. I used to find it difficult to relate to others of different beliefs but now I am far more tolerant
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by davien(m): 12:07pm On Aug 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Why is an afterlife a baseless concept?

Please check out below the comment I gave Johnydon22 earlier-

"But you don't believe in the afterlife. But then again, some scientists accept that there could be another dimension where matter and space do not matter. That could be a form of afterlife.
What about alternate earths?"
There being other dimensions isn't indicative of an afterlife... neither does it mean we transcend to it to live in..And alternate earths also don't do the same...

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by johnydon22(m): 2:04pm On Aug 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

So you agree with all the points and believe that they could be possible in the future.

But you don't believe in the afterlife. But then again, some scientists accept that there could be another dimension where matter and space do not matter. That could be a form of afterlife.

What about alternate earths?
[b]No it's not an afterlife but just another part of nature... there are many space dimensions perceivable to us which is Time is one of it and the 4th dimension is an intertwined time and space into one.. they may be other dimensions unknown to us but this still when proven only proves the existence of such dimension and not the claim of an Afterlife..

Man is a material entity and our consciousness is as a result of the activities being carried out by our material anatomy... So since nobody recognized consciousness before this material body, who then made you think you will still recognize consciousness when your activities that cause consciousness stops..... Since your consciousness was not infinitely around backwards what on earth gave you the impression it will be around infinitely forward.

Your consciousness is as a result of this material anatomy and activities and when that stops...thats all

All the activities, feelings, emotions, movement and everything in your being in a single term CONSCIOUSNESS is as a result of activities going on in your brain and perceptive neurons interacting with each other and when this stops, there is nothing left ... That is death...
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 5:47pm On Aug 22, 2015
davien:
There being other dimensions isn't indicative of an afterlife... neither does it mean we transcend to it to live in..And alternate earths also don't do the same...

Energy does not die, it just changes form.

What if our consciousness is like energy and it changes to another form of consciousness?

There are lots of scientific hypothetical explanations for an afterlife.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by plaetton: 5:53pm On Aug 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Ideas are like energy, they can't just die.

And what has been the greatest idea for man? Religion. It spreads, it influences, it transcends.

Religion cannot die. If religion is dead in your universe, you must live in fairy lala-land- also known as "imaginary land".

Religion is just like energy, it doesn't die, it only changes form.

Christianity has changed. Look at how peaceful we are compared to the crusades of the early centuries.

I have changed also. I used to find it difficult to relate to others of different beliefs but now I am far more tolerant

No sir, religion is not like energy that transforms from one form to another.
Religion obeys no laws of physics.

False ideas fade out over time, and die.

Who still sacrifices babies to angry gods?
Almost no sane person in any society with laws.

Your religion or religious ideas might be transforming, simply because it is just struggling to just stay alive and relavant.
But in due time, the forces of social entropy will and must, as a matter of natural law, sweep it to the dustbins of history.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by johnydon22(m): 6:05pm On Aug 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

What if our consciousness is like energy and it changes to another form of consciousness?

There are lots of scientific hypothetical explanations for can afterlife.
Let me assume with you.... after all it an be deemed a scientific hypothesis...

So going from the bolded, what, where exactly was your initial consciousness before this and the one before that? wink

What is meant Energy changes from one form to another deals with the material matters (emotions, consciousness in entirety is not a THING but a projection of neuroperceptive activities of the material body)

So what is meant energy changes from one form to another is when you die, your body decays, mixes with the earth and becomes an organic material of the earth... Some dead flesh sprout as decomposers (mushrooms)

so for you to wish for a consciousness that is independent of your body (which in fact is the cause of this consciousness) you must first demonstrate to us that your consciousness transcends your body

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by davien(m): 6:10pm On Aug 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

There are lots of scientific hypothetical explanations for an afterlife.
Every energy transformation involves a loss of the total energy transformed,if I were to accept that energy=consciousness would you apply the same setback? (that a portion of your consciousness is lost in this pseudoscience transformation) .... I know you'd like to believe in an afterlife, but nothing holds water for it..
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by Onyiibazz: 12:26am On Aug 23, 2015
All i see is a christian fundamentalist on the loose
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by johnydon22(m): 12:38am On Aug 23, 2015
Onyiibazz:
All i see is a christian fundamentalist on the loose
I think you are clearly mistaken

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by tpiander: 3:09am On Aug 23, 2015
Did Jesus not time travel across centuries in order to fulfil God's promise?
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:05am On Aug 23, 2015
johnydon22:
[b]No it's not an afterlife but just another part of nature... there are many space dimensions perceivable to us which is Time is one of it and the 4th dimension is an intertwined time and space into one.. they may be other dimensions unknown to us but this still when proven only proves the existence of such dimension and not the claim of an Afterlife..

Man is a material entity and our consciousness is as a result of the activities being carried out by our material anatomy... So since nobody recognized consciousness before this material body, who then made you think you will still recognize consciousness when your activities that cause consciousness stops..... Since your consciousness was not infinitely around backwards what on earth gave you the impression it will be around infinitely forward.

Your consciousness is as a result of this material anatomy and activities and when that stops...thats all

All the activities, feelings, emotions, movement and everything in your being in a single term CONSCIOUSNESS is as a result of activities going on in your brain and perceptive neurons interacting with each other and when this stops, there is nothing left ... That is death...
[/b]

Energy is material . Energy does not die.

What if our consciousness is more like energy?

What if this earth is a simulation within a simulation? Like inception, a dream within a dream.

You only know you are dreaming when you wake up.

What if you die and you truly wake up? Wake up in an alternate earth?

There are so many theories concerning an afterlife that it shouldn't be readily dismissed.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:08am On Aug 23, 2015
tpiander:
Did Jesus not time travel across centuries in order to fulfil God's promise?

grin grin

So you're saying that Jesus didn't really walk on water, he just stood on a submerged crystal clear time travel device?
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by johnydon22(m): 7:22am On Aug 23, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Energy is material . Energy does not die.
What if this earth is a simulation within a simulation? Like inception, a dream within a dream.
There are so many theories concerning an afterlife that it shouldn't be readily dismissed.
[b]Lol and then that alternate earth will be a dreamland for another alternate earth and so i might plug in the infinite regress of alternate earths because when you assume one why stop there why not assume more..

I suppose some people find comfort in that whole notion of passing away, transcending instead of simply dying.

It's not so hard to understand why we create, fabricate and assume these stories for ourselves given that we are almost certainly the only specie in this planet earth that know for sure at a very young age that are going to die one day. Other animals just live in the moment cus i doubt the dogs and bird outside my house now are assuming about a life after this or even giving it a thought or in a religious sense performing rituals to ensure a spot in heaven.

But our knowledge of this inevitable end of our being is somewhat of a huge burden to us ....
[size=14]
So maybe instead of assuming and swimming in such greedy fantasies as an afterlife, why don't we focus on where we are now and what we have right now..[/size]

Anyway i really love your thought, really subtle and accommodates highly plausible questions even though influenced by sci-fi movies... wink ..
[/b]

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by johnydon22(m): 7:24am On Aug 23, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

grin grin

So you're saying that Jesus didn't really walk on water, he just stood on a submerged crystal clear time travel device?
lol...mad man go to church joor grin grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:30am On Aug 23, 2015
johnydon22:
[b]Lol and then that alternate earth will be a dreamland for another alternate earth and so i might plug in the infinite regress of alternate earths because when you assume one why stop there why not assume more..

I suppose some people find comfort in that whole notion of passing away, transcending instead of simply dying.

It's not so hard to understand why we create, fabricate and assume these stories for ourselves given that we are almost certainly the only specie in this planet earth that know for sure at a very young age that are going to die one day. Other animals just live in the moment cus i doubt the dogs and bird outside my house now are assuming about a life after this or even giving it a thought or in a religious sense performing rituals to ensure a spot in heaven.

But our knowledge of this inevitable end of our being is somewhat of a huge burden to us ....
[size=14]
So maybe instead of assuming and swimming in such greedy fantasies as an afterlife, why don't we focus on where we are now and what we have right now..[/size]

Anyway i really love your thought, really subtle and accommodates highly plausible questions even though influenced by sci-fi movies... wink ..
[/b]

Nobody wants to die. Yes, there are many failed religious beliefs around the afterlife- for example; rivers of honey and a harem of virgins.

However, there are many realistic ones if you think about it. Christianity does not say much about heaven or hell and I understand why.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:32am On Aug 23, 2015
davien:
Every energy transformation involves a loss of the total energy transformed,if I were to accept that energy=consciousness would you apply the same setback? (that a portion of your consciousness is lost in this pseudoscience transformation) .... I know you'd like to believe in an afterlife, but nothing holds water for it..

Think about this-

"Energy is material . Energy does not die.

There are so many theories concerning an afterlife that it shouldn't be readily dismissed."

(1) (2) (Reply)

Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) / RCCG Fasting 2018 To Start On 11/1/18 And End 30th Of July 2018 (photos) / Popular "PAMELA WHY" Pastor - Alph Lukau Raised A Dead Man In His Church - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.