Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,564 members, 7,809,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix (3598 Views)

Why Science Doesn't Equal Atheism / Which Religion Do You Think Potrays These / Religious Atheism EXPOSED : God Without Religion and Religion Without God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:34am On Aug 23, 2015
johnydon22:
lol...mad man go to church joor grin grin

Don't worry, I will be off soon.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by johnydon22(m): 7:44am On Aug 23, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Nobody wants to die. Yes, there are many failed religious beliefs around the afterlife- for example; rivers of honey and a harem of virgins.

However, there are many realistic ones if you think about it. Christianity does not say much about heaven or hell and I understand why.

[b]Lol Christianity talks about white robes and golden mansions which is exactly as delusional as someone expecting 72virgins or river of booze. . both are expecting something in afterlife.

The realistic ones you want to employ are still just your assumptions typically your assumptions and in no way holds sway to reality... I have always maintained the claim of afterlife to be the personal business of the claimant and not mine, cus anyone who comes to me and claims to know what happens to me after am dead is either lying, stupid or both at once because they don't know.

I typically understand why these stories are being conjured up, So why don't we be grateful for where we are, what we have right now and the one chance we all are sure life provides instead of wasting it in a greedy desire to get more..

Let me give you another: Do you know that if that particular sperm that fertilized the PARTICULAR ovum that made you wasn't the one that made it to the egg first and another sperm did, the resulting child would have been totally different and you wouldn't have been in existence..

And an average man spills over 2,000,000 spermatozoa in one shot . . .So chances that your own particular sperm would hit the egg was just 1:2,000,000...no one needs tell that was almost an impossible odd.

Add up to the 450,000,000 sperms an average man produce in his life time and see the chances that your father would give birth to you was just 1:450,000,000... Add masturbations, casual sexs and all that from your dad side (excluding the mother variables) then add chances of your grand father giving birth to your father, infant mortality rate, disease..

You will see that the chances of you existing is tantamount to zero.. But here you are (For the fact you are the one that made it shows 1,999,999 didn't make it that day) so why don't you just live this magnificent one chance you are surprisingly finding yourself in and not greedily clamor and assume up more.
[/b]

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by davien(m): 3:20pm On Aug 23, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Think about this-

"Energy is material . Energy does not die.

What if our consciousness is more like energy?

What if this earth is a simulation within a simulation? Like inception, a dream within a dream.

You only know you are dreaming when you wake up.

What if you die and you truly wake up? Wake up in an alternate earth?

There are so many theories concerning an afterlife that it shouldn't be readily dismissed."
There are an infinite number of ways anything could be, the underlining thing that makes us recognize what's possible, are facts and evidence that back them up..
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by tpiander: 4:12am On Aug 24, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

grin grin

So you're saying that Jesus didn't really walk on water, he just stood on a submerged crystal clear time travel device?

Hello, you asked a question and I gave you an answer, is that an issue for you?
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:39am On Aug 24, 2015
johnydon22:
[b]Lol Christianity talks about white robes and golden mansions which is exactly as delusional as someone expecting 72virgins or river of booze. . both are expecting something in afterlife.

The realistic ones you want to employ are still just your assumptions typically your assumptions and in no way holds sway to reality... I have always maintained the claim of afterlife to be the personal business of the claimant and not mine, cus anyone who comes to me and claims to know what happens to me after am dead is either lying, stupid or both at once because they don't know.

I typically understand why these stories are being conjured up, So why don't we be grateful for where we are, what we have right now and the one chance we all are sure life provides instead of wasting it in a greedy desire to get more..

Let me give you another: Do you know that if that particular sperm that fertilized the PARTICULAR ovum that made you wasn't the one that made it to the egg first and another sperm did, the resulting child would have been totally different and you wouldn't have been in existence..

And an average man spills over 2,000,000 spermatozoa in one shot . . .So chances that your own particular sperm would hit the egg was just 1:2,000,000...no one needs tell that was almost an impossible odd.

Add up to the 450,000,000 sperms an average man produce in his life time and see the chances that your father would give birth to you was just 1:450,000,000... Add masturbations, casual sexs and all that from your dad side (excluding the mother variables) then add chances of your grand father giving birth to your father, infant mortality rate, disease..

You will see that the chances of you existing is tantamount to zero.. But here you are (For the fact you are the one that made it shows 1,999,999 didn't make it that day) so why don't you just live this magnificent one chance you are surprisingly finding yourself in and not greedily clamor and assume up more.
[/b]

Where atheists like you see chance, Christians like me see fate.

I hope you know that predestination is a common theme in sci-fi literature, especially in time travel movies.

So you are saying that I'm lucky that it was the one sperm out of millions that fertilized my mums eggs that made me. I stand and say "no" because I say that I was not lucky but predestined to be alive. It was meant to be.

Take a look at your universe. We dont even know 99% of what is in our universe. The universe might be infinite for all we know. There might be infinite earth-like planets containing millions of different versions of us.

Imagine if there is only one person trying to throw a basketball into the hoop from the end of the basketball court. The odds are that he would miss a thousand times before even scoring once- or he might never score. Now, imagine if there are infinite number of basketballers trying to shoot their balls from the same distance- the end result is inevitable- there will be many balls going through the hoops because every type of shot possible will be shot, both the misses, the hits, the almost misses etc

If there are infinite earths, there is nothing like chance. This is because, every possible scenario would have happened. We being alive is inevitable.

You as a human represent 0.000001% of the universe and so why do you think your life carries so much weight? We humans are nothing but specks of dust to the entirety of the universe. There could be millions like you in galaxies far far away.

It is a shame that for all the science you atheists claim to support, you guys can not use science to think outside the box and transcend your limited understanding of life.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:44am On Aug 24, 2015
davien:
There are an infinite number of ways anything could be, the underlining thing that makes us recognize what's possible, are facts and evidence that back them up..

What facts do you have that you are alive? No, what evidence do you have to say that you are not in the matrix right now? Facts and evidence are meaningless in uncharted territories. How do you have facts for something you don't even understand or haven't experienced in any form?

What we are doing here is hypothetical thinking mixed with logic. That is what makes sci-fi interesting. The possibilities are infinite.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:50am On Aug 24, 2015
plaetton:

No sir, religion is not like energy that transforms from one form to another.
Religion obeys no laws of physics.

False ideas fade out over time, and die.

Who still sacrifices babies to angry gods?
Almost no sane person in any society with laws.

Your religion or religious ideas might be transforming, simply because it is just struggling to just stay alive and relavant.
But in due time, the forces of social entropy will and must, as a matter of natural law, sweep it to the dustbins of history.

You are contradicting yourself. If my religious ideas are evolving to stay alive, then why should it die? If the religious ideas are adapting, they would surely survive.

False ideas fade. But religion has both true and false ideas. It is even in the bible that true faith shall be refined in fire. So, only the bad ideas get thrown out.

Religion is here to stay. 4000 years and counting
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by johnydon22(m): 7:54am On Aug 24, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Where atheists like you see chance, Christians like me see fate.

I hope you know that predestination is a common theme in sci-fi literature, especially in time travel movies.

So you are saying that I'm lucky that it was the one sperm out of millions that fertilized my mums eggs that made me. I stand and say "no" because I say that I was not lucky but predestined to be alive. It was meant to be.

Take a look at your universe. We dont even know 99% of what is in our universe. The universe might be infinite for all we know. There might be infinite earth-like planets containing millions of different versions of us.

Imagine if there is only one person trying to throw a basketball into the hoop from the end of the basketball court. The odds are that he would miss a thousand times before even scoring once- or he might never score. Now, imagine if there are infinite number of basketballers trying to shoot their balls from the same distance- the end result is inevitable- there will be many balls going through the hoops because every type of shot possible will be shot, both the misses, the hits, the almost misses etc

If there are infinite earths, there is nothing like chance. This is because, every possible scenario would have happened. We being alive is inevitable.

You as a human represent 0.000001% of the universe and so why do you think your life carries so much weight? We humans are nothing but specks of dust to the entirety of the universe. There could be millions like you in galaxies far far away.

It is a shame that for all the science you atheists claim to support, you guys can not use science to think outside the box and transcend your limited understanding of life.

Lol predestination...

I have always wondered how people who believe in predestinations still look before they cross the road..

think about that..
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:59am On Aug 24, 2015
johnydon22:
Lol predestination...

I have always wondered how people who believe in predestinations still look before they cross the road..

think about that..

Infinite regress and paradoxes, young man.

They were predestined to look before crossing the road.

CHECKMATE ATHEIST!
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:00am On Aug 24, 2015
tpiander:

Hello, you asked a question and I gave you an answer, is that an issue for you?

It was a joke.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by johnydon22(m): 8:03am On Aug 24, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Infinite regress and paradoxes, young man.

They were predestined to look before crossing the road.

CHECKMATE ATHEIST!
Hahahahahahahaha this is funny..... oh you thought this was ana argument? #Sigh and i even thought i was having a reasonable discussion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by hahn(m): 8:10am On Aug 24, 2015
johnydon22:
Hahahahahahahaha this is funny..... oh you thought this was ana argument? #Sigh and i even thought i was having a reasonable discussion.

Don't tell me you aren't aware that theists generally argue and are incapable of having a discussion. This is one of the major reasons why they are an unable to learn because they are only interested in proving a point and not learning
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:12am On Aug 24, 2015
johnydon22:

I was joking. No need to be melodramatic.

Please review our conversation if you feel otherwise.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:16am On Aug 24, 2015
hahn:

Don't tell me you aren't aware that theists generally argue and are incapable of having a discussion. This is one of the major reasons why they are an unable to learn because they are only interested in proving a point and not learning

undecided

Please, let's leave the "support buddy system" in the romance section.

I was joking and Johnydon22 misunderstood me. I was not "arguing" per se.

I wonder how you can just blatantly label me and other theists as "unable to learn".
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by davien(m): 8:21am On Aug 24, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

What facts do you have that you are alive? No, what evidence do you have to say that you are not in the matrix right now? Facts and evidence are meaningless in uncharted territories. How do you have facts for something you don't even understand or haven't experienced in any form?
Dead people don't respond to stimuli and do not perform homeostasis.. .. Fact!

What we are doing here is hypothetical thinking mixed with logic. That is what makes sci-fi interesting. The possibilities are infinite.
Nope, sci-fi is an admission that it suspends reality... That suspended reality has to be consistent with itself or the general theme becomes fantasy.
Wishful thinking doesn't cut it.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by hahn(m): 8:30am On Aug 24, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

undecided

Please, let's leave the "support buddy system" in the romance section.

I was joking and Johnydon22 misunderstood me. I was not "arguing" per se.

I wonder how you can just blatantly label me and other theists as "unable to learn".

Didn't mean to generalise but so far this has been the norm both here on nl and offline. Debating with a theist always seem like prepping for a battle. All arguments and no discussion
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:26am On Aug 24, 2015
davien:
Dead people don't respond to stimuli and do not perform homeostasis.. .. Fact!
Nope, sci-fi is an admission that it suspends reality... That suspended reality has to be consistent with itself or the general theme becomes fantasy.
Wishful thinking doesn't cut it.

Someone being dead does not prove that you are alive.

Sci-fi is not always suspended reality. Total recall as a movie is sci-fi but the technology in the movie is quite practical.

Wishiful thinking?
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:29am On Aug 24, 2015
hahn:

Didn't mean to generalise but so far this has been the norm both here on nl and offline. Debating with a theist always seem like prepping for a battle. All arguments and no discussion

okay
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by davien(m): 12:19pm On Aug 24, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Someone being dead does not prove that you are alive.

Sci-fi is not always suspended reality. Total recall as a movie is sci-fi but the technology in the movie is quite practical.

Wishiful thinking?
*Yawn
Being dead and being alive are terms drawn from the characteristics a body /object possesses, whether you accept that is your problem.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 12:52pm On Aug 24, 2015
davien:
*Yawn
Being dead and being alive are terms drawn from the characteristics a body /object possesses, whether you accept that is your problem.

ah.....but "alive" is a vague term. wink

You say that you're alive but you could very well be a computer in a lab simulating real life....matrix style.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by davien(m): 1:18pm On Aug 24, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

ah.....but "alive" is a vague term. wink

You say that you're alive but you could very well be a computer in a lab simulating real life....matrix style.

The onus of that is on the person making such a claim.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 1:39pm On Aug 24, 2015
davien:
The onus of that is on the person making such a claim.

Goes both ways.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by davien(m): 1:37am On Aug 25, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Goes both ways.

Not in the slightest..

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:25am On Sep 03, 2015
davien:
Not in the slightest..

It does.

Allnaijablogger: you could be a computer in the matrix simulating real life.

Davien: I am alive.

Both of us have to prove our claims.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by davien(m): 4:22pm On Sep 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

It does.

Allnaijablogger: you could be a computer in the matrix simulating real life.

Davien: I am alive.

Both of us have to prove our claims.
Nope, either you fess up on the credibility of your claim or keep shut...

claiming the reality you experience isn't real,and then forwarding that claim to myself and others to debunking is a red herring and isn't a burden of proof meant for us....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:55pm On Sep 03, 2015
davien:
Nope, either you fess up on the credibility of your claim or keep shut...

claiming the reality you experience isn't real,and then forwarding that claim to myself and others to debunking is a red herring and isn't a burden of proof meant for us....

The issue here is simple. Can you prove that you are alive?

You see, we take our existence as a given. But how are we sure we exist?

We could all be in the matrix right now, simulating this nairaland conversation.

How do we know that this is not all a dream and we will wake up when we die.

Just think about it. You only know that you were dreaming when you wake up. What if death is the only a wake-up?.

Inception. Cobbs's wife killed herself because she thought the real life was a dream and her dream the real life.

I admit that I can't prove that I am in the matrix simulating real life. But then, you can't prove that you are 100% alive and not in some lab simulating this duscussion.

One can not see beyond his own perception. The mind is our limit.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix by davien(m): 1:08am On Sep 05, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

The issue here is simple. Can you prove that you are alive?
That would be continent on the proof required, and so far I match the basic biological definition... if you required that I prove my existence to you that would depend on the proof required.

You see, we take our existence as a given. But how are we sure we exist?
It's not about surety, but having a model of reality that best allows us to make sense of the world... so we mostly choose the philosophy of realism(the belief that things are real) out of its ease and practicality, else what reason would you have for making any post on naira land if you do not agree you're conversing with an intelligent agent.

We could all be in the matrix right now, simulating this nairaland conversation.
How would you deduce a simulation or "matrix" from reality(the world we mostly agree is real) if you're forever subject to the impulses your senses give you?

How do we know that this is not all a dream and we will wake up when we die.
*Above comment...

Just think about it. You only know that you were dreaming when you wake up. What if death is the only a wake-up?.
Again, the above comments I put up addresses that nobody could ever tell if it's all a dream, neither is there any reason to... only wishful thinking.

Inception. Cobbs's wife killed herself because she thought the real life was a dream and her dream the real life.
Many people have done various atrocities in "real life" under the suspicion that the reality they experienced wasn't real,they're locked up in asylums because they fail to or could not keep in touch with the reality we share due to mental problems...

I admit that I can't prove that I am in the matrix simulating real life. But then, you can't prove that you are 100% alive and not in some lab simulating this duscussion.
Okay, so does that imply the assertion you made is true?

One can not see beyond his own perception. The mind is our limit.

True,and again it says nothing about reality but that it's filtered by our senses.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Did Jesus Come??? / 22 Powerful Prayer Points From The Holy Mouth Of Jesus Christ / Share Your Testimony If You Have Been Healed From Reinhard Bonnke's Crusade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.