Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:53 AM

10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas (23415 Views)

The Importance Of Safety To Improving Company's Productivity / Photo: Yoruba Boys In Construction In Dubai / 17 Golden Rules To Remember In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by mojounited(m): 4:28pm On Aug 19, 2015
iykofias:
hahhaha, dat year we dey gran am ehn, make dey no come embarrase us for site oh
Which Shell site? Was it at CPF Site, Gbaran Ubie Project?
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by baruzeez(m): 4:32pm On Aug 19, 2015
i could remember my first day during my IT
the engineer said protect yaself
* if there is fire dont form james bond and kill it, run to a safe place then plan how to kill it
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by hadura29(m): 4:39pm On Aug 19, 2015
Unibentested:
11. Hazard Hunt - Visit other departments or units with personnel not familiar with the area. There is a greater likelihood of a new entrant to an area to spot hazards or unsafe conditions than those already used to the area.

12. Safety Audit.- Carry out impromptu safety audits especially in construction areas.

13. Colour coding. - Ensure all slings and lifting equipments are properly colour coded and ensure right colour code before use.

14. JSA/JHA - Job Safety (Hazard) Analysis.- Ensure you carry out JSA for all jobs.

15. Risk Assessment - Ensure you carry out a comprehensive risk asessment for all jobs.

16. BOSIET- Prior to visiting an offshore Oil and gas installation, ensure you have undergone the necessary BOSIET ( Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training) on Helicopter safety, fire fighting, first aid, survival at sea, etc..You might just be in a position to not just save your life but someone else's.

17. Safety meetings. - If you find yourself in any Oil and Gas installation, be it onshore or offshore, endeavour to attend the required safety meetings, Pre Job safety meetings etc. As the meetings would acquaint you with happenings around the installation.

18. Confined Space Entry - Ensure you get a permit to work and confined space permit for jobs carried out in confined spaces.

19. Lock Out - Tag Out (LOTO) Ensure that dangerous machines are properly shut off, locked, tagged and not started up again prior to the completion of maintenance or servicing work.

20. Protect Yasef! Watch out for Number 1. (Yasef!)

You typed like a safety expert... Tell me more please
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by sam121(m): 4:50pm On Aug 19, 2015
Webbet:
There are many cases of incident and accident in the construction sites even in the offices as a result of not adhering to safety precautions. Below are 10 golden rules to help us work in safely.

1. work planning: Before commencing any task, it is worthwhile to adequately state the task procedures and associated hazards.

2. Work permit: in oil and gas sector or any construction site, it is advised that all personnel should make sure they have their work permit before carrying out any task. work permit is a document that states down the procedures and risks associated to a task.

3. Toolbox talk: this is very sacrosanct in ensuring safety of work. personnel should indulge in toolbox talk to learn safety practices and precautions.

4. Collective protective equipment: All personnel should make sure they wear their full or complete protective equipment before embarking on any task.

5. Scaffolding should be checked: those working on height should make sure that the platforms they are working is properly pulled together to avoid falling from height. when working on height Lifeline should be connected above and behind the personnel.

6. Personal protective equipment must be in integrity: each task has it own PPE. appropriate PPE must be worn completely before embarking on a task.

7. Specific training: special training should be embarked to be deemed fit before undertaking any task. Don't do what you are not trained for.

8. Housekeeping and work place condition should be checked: After completing any task, housekeeping should done. housekeeping could mean the arranging of files, the removal of any material capable of causing harm from the work site.

9. Unsafe conditions should be reported: this is also called (YOU SEE YOU ACT) any condition with the potential of causing harm should be reported to the safety officers, this will help ensure save life.

10. muster point: in times of emergency or drill, workers are advised to gather at the muster point.

11. add yours

Sequel to number 5 ensure that the scaffold is tagged green before accessing it. Once a scaffold is tagged red, it means the scaffold can't be accessed... So always watch out for the tags on scaffolds...
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by iykofias(m): 5:03pm On Aug 19, 2015
mojounited:

Which Shell site? Was it at CPF Site, Gbaran Ubie Project?
shell IA rumubiakana and gas plant okoloma
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by zicky(m): 5:11pm On Aug 19, 2015
Report all Nearmiss
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by airsaylongcon: 5:28pm On Aug 19, 2015
E be like say na here I go see answer. Help me guys

In a 150km Crude oil pipeline, which of the following factors does NOT count in deciding the number and placement of Sectional Valves
a.   River Crossing
b.   Rail Crossing
c.   Nominal Diameter of Pipeline
d.   Average flowing pressure
e.   Type of pipe coating
f.   Soil Resistivity
g.   Population density along Pipeline RoW

Which of the following instrument set-points proves the most challenging in real applications and often proves a conflict between safety and Operability in liquid/gas pipelines.
a.   TSHH(Trip)
b.   PSLL(Trip)
c.   PSHH(Trip)
d.   PSH(Alarm)
e.   LSHH(Trip)
f.   LSH(Alarm)

What is the name given to the section of pipe, between the departing Shut-Down Valve (SDV) and the sub-sea pipeline segment?

What is the name of the fitting that ensures complete electrical segregation above ground and buried pipeline segments?
(This is an Insulation joint right?)
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by Hydy(m): 5:33pm On Aug 19, 2015
Safety is as simple as ABC (Always Be Careful). A useful thread makes front page for once.
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by kachnov(m): 5:40pm On Aug 19, 2015
Actually you guys have said it all,but so far all the points listed here are subject to human error (in judgment,)...For those setting up work environment, proper hsms (health safety management systems)also goes a long way to mitigate hazards.

In other words,in designing work ergonomics ,design your safety systems into the process.
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by sijuwade5: 6:02pm On Aug 19, 2015
Stop work authority:As u have the right to stop any unsafe actact
Also step back 5*5: this is to reanalys the risk observed and to mitigate it!!
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by jpphilips(m): 6:24pm On Aug 19, 2015
Webbet:
There are many cases of incident and accident in the construction sites even in the offices as a result of not adhering to safety precautions. Below are 10 golden rules to help us work in safely.

1. work planning: Before commencing any task, it is worthwhile to adequately state the task procedures and associated hazards.

2. Work permit: in oil and gas sector or any construction site, it is advised that all personnel should make sure they have their work permit before carrying out any task. work permit is a document that states down the procedures and risks associated to a task.

3. Toolbox talk: this is very sacrosanct in ensuring safety of work. personnel should indulge in toolbox talk to learn safety practices and precautions.

4. Collective protective equipment: All personnel should make sure they wear their full or complete protective equipment before embarking on any task.

5. Scaffolding should be checked: those working on height should make sure that the platforms they are working is properly pulled together to avoid falling from height. when working on height Lifeline should be connected above and behind the personnel.

6. Personal protective equipment must be in integrity: each task has it own PPE. appropriate PPE must be worn completely before embarking on a task.

7. Specific training: special training should be embarked to be deemed fit before undertaking any task. Don't do what you are not trained for.

8. Housekeeping and work place condition should be checked: After completing any task, housekeeping should done. housekeeping could mean the arranging of files, the removal of any material capable of causing harm from the work site.

9. Unsafe conditions should be reported: this is also called (YOU SEE YOU ACT) any condition with the potential of causing harm should be reported to the safety officers, this will help ensure save life.

10. muster point: in times of emergency or drill, workers are advised to gather at the muster point.

11. add yours

Lol

1 Like

Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by jpphilips(m): 6:25pm On Aug 19, 2015
sijuwade5:
Stop work authority:As u have the right to stop any unsafe actact
Also step back 5*5: this is to reanalys the risk observed and to mitigate it!!

Exxon things

1 Like

Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by Unibentested(m): 6:29pm On Aug 19, 2015
hadura29:

You typed like a safety expert... Tell me more please

Lol..Am not a safety expert....just have some oil and gas experience. Check bigerboy's points, and add the points the OP gave, and of cos putting God first..would be enough to keep one safe

1 Like

Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by phyness(m): 6:39pm On Aug 19, 2015
Safety first zero accident

Dat is our slogan
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by lonelydora: 6:43pm On Aug 19, 2015
Unibentested:
11. Hazard Hunt - Visit other departments or units with personnel not familiar with the area. There is a greater likelihood of a new entrant to an area to spot hazards or unsafe conditions than those already used to the area.

12. Safety Audit.- Carry out impromptu safety audits especially in construction areas.

13. Colour coding. - Ensure all slings and lifting equipments are properly colour coded and ensure right colour code before use.

14. JSA/JHA - Job Safety (Hazard) Analysis.- Ensure you carry out JSA for all jobs.

15. Risk Assessment - Ensure you carry out a comprehensive risk asessment for all jobs.

16. BOSIET- Prior to visiting an offshore Oil and gas installation, ensure you have undergone the necessary BOSIET ( Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training) on Helicopter safety, fire fighting, first aid, survival at sea, etc..You might just be in a position to not just save your life but someone else's.

17. Safety meetings. - If you find yourself in any Oil and Gas installation, be it onshore or offshore, endeavour to attend the required safety meetings, Pre Job safety meetings etc. As the meetings would acquaint you with happenings around the installation.

18. Confined Space Entry - Ensure you get a permit to work and confined space permit for jobs carried out in confined spaces.

19. Lock Out - Tag Out (LOTO) Ensure that dangerous machines are properly shut off, locked, tagged and not started up again prior to the completion of maintenance or servicing work.

20. Protect Yasef! Watch out for Number 1. (Yasef!)

I rate your company high on safety.

1 Like

Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by lonelydora: 6:46pm On Aug 19, 2015
airsaylongcon:
E be like say na here I go see answer. Help me guys

In a 150km Crude oil pipeline, which of the following factors does NOT count in deciding the number and placement of Sectional Valves
a.   River Crossing
b.   Rail Crossing
c.   Nominal Diameter of Pipeline
d.   Average flowing pressure
e.   Type of pipe coating
f.   Soil Resistivity
g.   Population density along Pipeline RoW

Which of the following instrument set-points proves the most challenging in real applications and often proves a conflict between safety and Operability in liquid/gas pipelines.
a.   TSHH(Trip)
b.   PSLL(Trip)
c.   PSHH(Trip)
d.   PSH(Alarm)
e.   LSHH(Trip)
f.   LSH(Alarm)

What is the name given to the section of pipe, between the departing Shut-Down Valve (SDV) and the sub-sea pipeline segment?

What is the name of the fitting that ensures complete electrical segregation above ground and buried pipeline segments?
(This is an Insulation joint right?)

E bi like say you dey go Saipem interview? PM if you need the answers.
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by hadura29(m): 6:59pm On Aug 19, 2015
Unibentested:

Lol..Am not a safety expert....just have some oil and gas experience. Check bigerboy's points, and add the points the OP gave, and of cos putting God first..would be enough to keep one safe

My own first rule of safety is "safety first"

1 Like

Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by kenoz(m): 7:31pm On Aug 19, 2015
Okay
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by IdJack(m): 7:45pm On Aug 19, 2015
[size=15pt]No Short Cut to Safety
No Assumption to safety
Always Ask Question when in doubt
There is no stupid questions regarding Safety
Intervene
[/size]
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by Nobody: 8:34pm On Aug 19, 2015
No task or job is too important, that I wouldn't be done safely.
There must be safety drill everyday.
HSE compliance is as good as a bible to all oil and gas workers, contractors with extension.
Horse play is prohibited.
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by zexzy(f): 9:24pm On Aug 19, 2015
Always wear use your PPES and Helmet for safety first, safety always and safety for all.
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by bernard1000001(m): 10:32pm On Aug 19, 2015
Machines don't have brain, pls use your Brain
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by chudi55: 10:42pm On Aug 19, 2015
[color=#990000][/color] ;DMy tetard experience is were I work @oilserv with no carmourflag and helmet bee from oldtime kept tractors nearly shop me off thanks God I'm spare cool
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by Freksy(m): 11:03pm On Aug 19, 2015
All I knew has been said!
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by Webbet(m): 3:48am On Aug 20, 2015
IdJack:
[size=15pt]No Short Cut to Safety
No Assumption to safety
Always Ask Question when in doubt
There is no stupid questions regarding Safety
Intervene
[/size]
words of my safety cordinator
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by chukist: 7:29am On Aug 20, 2015
The bedrock of safety at work place ABC which mean Always Be Careful
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by Bonuwa: 8:33am On Aug 20, 2015
iykofias:
Spdc 12 life saving rules And d 3 golden rules which are

* intervention
* compliance
* Respect
u right bro
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by kllinxman(m): 9:26am On Aug 20, 2015
Safety First, Safety Always.. and..... If its not Safe Dont Do It... Always carryout Last Risk Assessment...
U guys hv already said it alll, just dat we light bypassing.
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by prosperbiafra(m): 5:19pm On Sep 23, 2015
Is making sense like........ At times I work without safty wears most times I injured myself.
Re: 10 Golden Rules In Safety To Work Successfully In Construction And Oil And Gas by Webbet(m): 7:49am On Sep 24, 2015
prosperbiafra:
Is making sense like........ At times I work without safty wears most times I injured myself.
bro, try and make it a habit to always use your PPE and obey safety rules

(1) (2) (Reply)

Air Peace Recalls Sacked Pilots / What Is The Hardest Decision You Have Ever Made? / Should I Spend N40m On Harvard Business School Mba Or Just Do Business With It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.