Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth (1018 Views)

James Ocholi's Driver Dies In National Hospital,abuja / Commissioner Of Police Tunde Sobulor Dies In American Hospital / This Nigerian Soldier Died Giving His Life For His Comrades .photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth by bilymuse: 2:00pm On Mar 26, 2009
[size=15pt]Nigerian lady dies in the desert giving birth
[/size]

A Nigerian lady has died in the desert in Oran, Algeria, while being delivered of a set of twins.

Nigeria’s Ambassador to Algeria, Jeremiah Hassan, who disclosed this while speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Algiers, said the lady was among Nigerians and other Africans who have lost their lives in their bid to travel to Europe illegally.

Hassan said the remains of the lady were still in a mortuary because efforts were being made to trace her parents. He lamented the rate at which Nigerians and other African immigrants were dying in the Sahara in their desperation to get out of their countries.

He said it was saddening that hundreds of Nigerians and black Africans wasted their lives daily in search of greener pastures in Europe.

“Some Nigerians and other Africans have set up camps along the desert route, where they pretend to be prepared to offer assistance to these desperadoes.

“They end up either fleecing the illegal immigrants of their money and other belongings or turning them into labourers or prostitutes,” he said.

According to him, many got lost in the desert while on the journey. “About 14 Africans, including their driver and his son, who was the conductor in the bus, died last week in the desert after they got lost, ran out of fuel and water,” he said.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/26032009/news/news7.html
Re: Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth by bilymuse: 2:01pm On Mar 26, 2009
May her soul rest in peace

What about the twins?
Re: Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth by jamace(m): 4:30pm On Mar 26, 2009
angry Our government caused it. Bad governance by our leaders. angry
Re: Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth by desgiezd(m): 4:34pm On Mar 26, 2009
I can't understand why a pregnant woman would embark on this sort of journey.
Re: Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth by JustGood(m): 4:40pm On Mar 26, 2009
People should start realising that there is no guarantee that their lives will be better for going anywhere abroad.

Why risk your life going through a dangerous desert just to make more money?
Re: Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth by bilymuse: 7:05pm On Mar 26, 2009
[size=15pt]AFRICANS CROSSING THE SAHARA TO EUROPE[/size]

As many of us go about our normal daily activities on the continent, a silent
and pathetic valley of death is claiming the lives of our people in their wanton drive to leave the living heat and hell on our continent. I am even shedding tears as I remember the investigation I did to discover this dark side of our people's lives. Groups of African men and women (including Ghanaians) begin their journey to the unknown from Agadis in Niger by car to Alate, then hop in another vehicle to Asamaka and then end up at Jenet in the middle of nowhere near Mount Hoga which is on the northern border of Niger with Algeria. They then pay a desert guide to walk them through a desert route covering a distance of 50 km by foot till they get to Mount Hugo. They then change course and walk for another 350 km to Obari which is the the first
border town in Algeria. From this point on, there is no village or human settlement (just open desert). The distance they have to walk covers a period of 3 weeks before getting to Sabat in Libya. During the day when the sun is hot, there is no movement. Movement begins at sundown through the night till about 10:30 the following morning when the sun gets hot again. Your bottle of water in this dry scorching desert, has to last you the length of the period because there is no water. Once in Libya, they have to travel long distances at very high risk of being arrested or even killed, to get to cross the mediterranean sea into Europe. The valley of the shadow of death is the route on the desert.

During this journey on foot, many give up the ghost when they get tired, get tired or fall sick. They are left behind as the group must move on. There are so many dead bodies of Africans with their passports on their chests. Their relatives neither know where they are nor do they have a clue that they are dead. , It is really sad. In some cases, the guide loses his bearings so they all wonder in the desert till death parts them all. There are horrific stories of strange beasts and animals attacking them. Our leaders do not seem to have a clue as to the consequencies of thier misrule.

Anonymous.

THE HANDSTAND
FEBRUARY 2003

http://www.thehandstand.org/archive/february2003/articles/africa.htm
Re: Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth by vanitty: 7:07pm On Mar 26, 2009
I know it is very bad to speak ill of the dead but
What a stupid woman. She knew the state she was in and she still decided to embark on the journey
May her soul rest in peace.
Re: Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth by osisi2(f): 3:03am On Mar 27, 2009
are we sure she wasn't impregnated in the desert
poor woman.
may her soul and those of the twins rest in peace
Re: Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth by OgidiBoy(m): 3:08am On Mar 27, 2009
Jesus, all this just to go to Europe, like whats so special about Europe. Truly so sad, I hope she finds rest up there in heaven.
Re: Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth by DeReloaded: 3:12am On Mar 27, 2009
If people are doing this to get out of Naija what the hell should the Somalians do

Either way she obviously wanted her kids to be citizens of an European country. Sad
Re: Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth by Nobody: 3:32am On Mar 27, 2009
Nigeria woman
Re: Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth by RICHIEBOI1(m): 3:24pm On Mar 27, 2009
desgiezd:

I can't understand why a pregnant woman would embark on this sort of journey.
beats the hell outta me!
Re: Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth by RICHIEBOI1(m): 3:27pm On Mar 27, 2009
**osisi:

are we sure she wasn't impregnated in the desert
poor woman.
may her soul and those of the twins rest in peace
yeah right! impregnated in the desert and nine months crossing the desert. common grin
Re: Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth by IFELEKE(m): 4:25pm On Mar 27, 2009
RICHIE BOI:

yeah right! impregnated in the desert and nine months crossing the desert. common grin
Yeah It's possible the pregnancy was acquired in transit(don't mind my words).
I saw a documentary on the cable years ago about a nigerian male that wanted to cross into europe from Oran,The young man said he was a graduate and he left because he couldn't find a gainful employment.He disclosed further that he had been in Oran for over four years trying to no avail. . .
I feel sad for Nigerians and Africans who risk their lives in the name of seeking good fortune abroad.who says the streets of Madrid or london are paved with Gold or the trees are overflowing with Pounds and Euros?
It's high time we stopped blaming our governments and economies for our woes.
We can make it legitimately In Nigeria without these factors.
At least we still have people who make legitimate money and live comfortably in Zimbabwe despite the economy
The subject matter is really sad and I wish the dead reprieve(May Her Soul Find the Needed Rest).
Re: Nigerian Lady Dies In The Desert Giving Birth by comfort3: 4:38pm On Mar 27, 2009
sad

(1) (Reply)

Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! / A Pz Nig Plc Factory Manager Shot Dead Along The Lagos-abeokuta Expressway / Whats Obj Stand On Ibb( Independence Bomb blast)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.