Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,433 members, 7,808,546 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria (48687 Views)

Shoprite Ilorin Shut Down After Massive Crowd Stormed Their Store (Photos) / GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government / Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by NaijaHamlet: 8:26am On Aug 19, 2015
South Africa's Shoprite Holdings, Africa's biggest retailer by sales, will open nearly twice as many stores on the rest of the continent this year as in 2014, its chief executive, Whitey Basson, said on Tuesday.

Nigeria will get 14 new stores in the next 20 months and Shoprite is building a distribution centre in the country, aiming to move goods faster as imports into Nigeria can be delayed in ports for up to three months or so, Basson said.

Angola is the only other market large enough to justify a distribution centre in the next five years, he said.

The supermarket operator is banking on rapid growth in markets such as Nigeria and Angola where it aims to change the shopping habits of Africa's rising middle class.

The retailer, which also operates the Checkers grocery chain and OK Furniture, reported a 10.8 per cent rise in full-year earnings yesterday, buoyed by sales growth of 13.5 per cent in stores outside its home market.

It plans to add another 35 stores this year to the 189 it has in the rest of Africa, hoping to improve on the 16 percent contribution that Africa ex-South Africa makes to its profits. Last year it opened 20 stores outside South Africa.

“It usually takes three to five years for countries to change from pavement shopping to using supermarkets,” Reuters quoted Basson, to have said in a presentation of the company's results.

Hampered in South Africa by power outages, rising electricity costs and highly indebted consumers, Shoprite increased sales in its home market by stealing market share in its food business from rivals.

The retailer, which began as a chain of eight stores in South Africa in 1979 and has had Basson at the helm throughout, now spans 15 countries across the continent, 13 of which posted stronger economic growth than South Africa last year.

Shoprite said diluted headline earnings per share (EPS) totaled 772.9 cents in the year ended June, in line with the 773 cents estimate by Thomson Reuters StarMine SmartEstimates. Headline EPS is the most widely watched profit gauge in South Africa and strips out certain one-off items.

Shoprite shares were up 1.2 per cent by 1245 GMT. The shares nearly doubled in price over the last five years as the company expanded but are down almost 5 percent since the start of this year on sluggish consumer demand in South Africa. The retailer said total sales rose 11.2 per cent to R113.7 billion ($8.80 billion) for the year.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/shoprite-to-open-14-new-stores-in-nigeria/217827/

2 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by kossyablaze(m): 8:29am On Aug 19, 2015
I dedicate this to all the Manchester United fans on NL and my crush Behira
KOSSYABLAZE
Now playing Kanye West-All day

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by shikshark: 8:30am On Aug 19, 2015
yes make all the money you can make quickly.....walmart is coming on board, probably to kick you out of business

28 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:30am On Aug 19, 2015
Massive...

I just Hope South Africa treat us with respect over there. Nigeria is their biggest customer yet WE are being abused over there.... Ain't right.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:33am On Aug 19, 2015
shikshark:
yes make all the money you can make quickly.....walmart is coming on board, probably to kick you out of business
Walmart can't do that. It will join the queue... Even in America, lotta Stores still make waves and Walmart is everywhere there. These products have a very large demand so the market is spacious enough..

7 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by benedictnsi(m): 8:39am On Aug 19, 2015
Freemanan:
Massive...

I just Hope South Africa treat us with respect over there. Nigeria is their biggest customer yet WE are being abused over there.... Ain't right.

What do you expect my brother??
When we can't support our infant industries??

Nigeria is not only the largest customer to SOUTH AFRICA, but to many countries of the world including China, Dubai, US of A etc.

Most of these our Rich monks and folks, I don't know why they can't do same influential investments in South Africa....

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by RHP(m): 8:41am On Aug 19, 2015
So all these "rich" Nigerians cant think of how to invest here. Rather they take the moneies to other countries...smh

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by AdeniyiA(m): 8:43am On Aug 19, 2015
What's the assurance they won't end like Mr. Bigs?

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by Syphax(m): 8:46am On Aug 19, 2015
RHP:
So all these "rich" Nigerians cant think of how to invest here. Rather they take the moneies to other countries...smh

Did you really read what the OP posted?
BTW,the word "MONEIES" don't exist ok?Don't make that mistake again.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by Elummah(m): 8:46am On Aug 19, 2015
Wetin consyn me wit shopping 4 supermarket wen Aba superest market still dey exist?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by shikshark: 8:59am On Aug 19, 2015
Freemanan:

Walmart can't do that. It will join the queue... Even in America, lotta Stores still make waves and Walmart is everywhere there. These products have a very large demand so the market is spacious enough..
i actually said probably bro....
Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 19, 2015
benedictnsi:

What do you expect my brother??
When we can't support our infant industries??

Nigeria is not only the largest customer to SOUTH AFRICA, but to many countries of the world including China, Dubai, US of A etc.

Most of these our Rich monks and folks, I don't know why they can't do same influential investments in South Africa....
They don't believe in Nigeria.... They are scared that somedays, Nigeria will fail as a state hence disintegration beckons.
Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:15am On Aug 19, 2015
kossyablaze:
Yes o,We nid am in Anambra badly
una no get local market?

6 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by shevon: 9:17am On Aug 19, 2015
Will PHC get one?
Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by phantom(m): 9:24am On Aug 19, 2015
Freemanan:
Massive...

exactly!

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by Omotayor123(f): 9:25am On Aug 19, 2015
True... Abeokuta shop rite loading..!
Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by phantom(m): 9:26am On Aug 19, 2015
shevon:
Will PHC get one?
infact i think PHC will probably have not less than 2/3

Infact the SE/SS region may see about a third to half of the 14 if recent economic data are anything to go by.
Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by Happiness87(f): 9:30am On Aug 19, 2015
you dont need to keep pumping money to south africa, when govt builds a shopping mall, encourage indigenes to invest, it not different from shops and super markets, just packaging and the bulding which is usually owned by state govt
kossyablaze:

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by shevon: 9:32am On Aug 19, 2015
phantom:

Infact the SE/SS region may see about a third to half of the 14 if recent economic data are anything to go by.

I pray o. I don tire for this exploitation SPAR dey use us do for here. And considering we buy in volume, the Shoprite arrangement go make more sense to someone like me.
Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by MyMouth(m): 9:36am On Aug 19, 2015
How can we allow foreigners take over our retail market? Too bad!!! This politicians that have been sealing our money since God created the earth, can't they start a retail business and generate employment?

9 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by asha80(m): 9:37am On Aug 19, 2015
phantom:

why do you say this/ especially your last paragraph?
Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by asha80(m): 9:39am On Aug 19, 2015
MyMouth:
How can we allow foreigners take over our retail market? Too bad!!! This politicians that have been sealing our money since God created the earth, can't they start a retail business and generate employment?
politicians start retail biz like these?abeg many of them are not interested

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by tobtap: 9:52am On Aug 19, 2015
cool..but we need more naija owned stores

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by NwaAnambra(m): 9:58am On Aug 19, 2015
kossyablaze:
. shut up man. stop embarrassing yourself

8 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by phantom(m): 10:02am On Aug 19, 2015
asha80:
why do you say this/ especially your last paragraph?

consumer potential in nigeria
Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by kossyablaze(m): 10:07am On Aug 19, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
una no get local market?
We av buh we don't av any cinema in Awka

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by kossyablaze(m): 10:08am On Aug 19, 2015
NwaAnambra:
. shut up man. stop embarrassing yourself
Ibu nkita ara

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by asha80(m): 10:09am On Aug 19, 2015
phantom:

consumer potential in nigeria
ok seen...though ph and aba been talked as having higher per capita income seems curious to me...i dont see shoprite coming to aba though unless they would just be tenants in on going aba mega mall
Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by kossyablaze(m): 10:11am On Aug 19, 2015
Happiness87:
you dont need to keep pumping money to south africa, when govt builds a shopping mall, encourage indigenes to invest, it not different from shops and super markets, just packaging and the bulding which is usually owned by state govt
I beliv with u tho

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by Happiness87(f): 10:16am On Aug 19, 2015
i heard there is one built by china, It has logo of Rising Sun
kossyablaze:
I beliv with u tho
Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by Joniboi(m): 10:18am On Aug 19, 2015
We are waiting.
Re: Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria by veekid(m): 10:18am On Aug 19, 2015
good news

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

25 Small Scale Business Ideas In Nigeria / Bus Conductor Refused To Collect New Naira Note From Passenger (Video) / Femi Otedola Dumps His Nokia Phones For IPhone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.