Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. (1102 Views)

Why Is The Sunday Before The Resurrection Of Christ Called Palm Sunday? / Is Jesus Really The Son Of God Or The Servant Of God? / If Jesus Is Called The Son Of God, Do You Think That Makes Him God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. by winner01(m): 10:58am On Aug 19, 2015
Exodus 3:14. And God said unto Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"

Son of God

What does that title mean exactly, and what significance does it have for people today?
First, the term does not mean Jesus was the literal offspring of God the Father, as each of us is the child of our human father. The Christian doctrine of the Trinity says the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are co-equal and co-eternal, meaning the three Persons of the one God always existed together and each has the same essence and same importance.
Second, it does not mean God the Father mated with the virgin Mary and fathered Jesus in that way. The Bible tells us Jesus was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit. It was a miraculous, virgin birth.
Third, the term Son of God as applied to Jesus is unique. It does not mean he was a child of God, as Christians are when they're adopted into God's family. Rather, it points out his divinity, meaning he is God.
Others in the Bible called Jesus the Son of God, most notably Satan and demons . Satan, a fallen angel who knew the true identity of Jesus, used the term as a taunt during the temptation in the wilderness.
Unclean spirits, terrified in Jesus' presence, said, “You are the Son of God.” (Mark 3:11, NIV).

Son of God or Son of Man?

Jesus often referred to himself as the Son of Man. Born of a human mother, he was a fully human man but also fully God. His incarnation meant he came to earth and took on human flesh. He was like us in every way except sin.
The title Son of Man goes much deeper, though. Jesus was speaking of a 600 year old prophecy in Daniel 7:13-14 . Jews of his day, and especially the religious leaders, would have been familiar with that reference.
In addition, Son of Man was a title of the Messiah, the anointed one of God who would free the Jewish people from bondage. The Messiah had long been expected, but the high priest and others refused to believe Jesus was that person. Many thought the Messiah would be a military leader who would liberate them from Roman rule. They could not grasp a servant Messiah who would sacrifice himself on the cross to free them from the bondage of sin.
As Jesus preached throughout Israel, he knew it would have been considered blasphemous to call himself the Son of God. Using that title about himself would have ended his ministry prematurely. During his trial by the religious leaders , Jesus answered their question that he was the Son of God, and the high priest tore his own robe in horror, accusing Jesus of blasphemy.

What Son of God Means Today

Many people today refuse to accept that Jesus Christ is God. They consider him only a good man, a human teacher on the same level as other historic religious leaders.
The Bible, however, is firm in proclaiming Jesus is God. The Gospel of John , for example, says "But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." (John 20:31,NIV).
In today's postmodernist society, millions of people reject the idea of absolute truth. They claim all religions are equally true and there are many paths to God.
Yet Jesus said bluntly, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6,NIV). Postmodernists accuse Christians of being intolerant; however, that truth comes from the lips of Jesus himself.
As the Son of God, Jesus Christ continues to make the same promise of eternity in heaven to anyone who follows him today: "For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.” (John 6:40, NIV).

(Sources: carm.org , gotquestions.org.)

1 Like

Re: Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. by Immanueladebol(m): 11:06am On Aug 19, 2015
True words sir
Re: Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. by Nobody: 6:48pm On Aug 19, 2015
Bitter truth.....
Re: Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. by winner01(m): 7:16pm On Aug 27, 2015
Immanueladebol:
True words sir
thank you sir.
Re: Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. by worth(m): 3:42am On Aug 28, 2015
John1vs 1-5
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

So when you read Genesis 1, it is about the creation, you will see that God created everything at the expense of His word.

let us go back to Book of John 1

John 1vs14-17
14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. 15 John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.’ ” 16 And e of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. 17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, f who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him. A Voice in the Wilderness
Re: Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. by worth(m): 3:45am On Aug 28, 2015
John1vs 1-5
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

So when you read Genesis 1, it is about the creation, you will see that God created everything at the expense of His word.

let us go back to Book of John 1

John 1vs14-17
14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. 15 John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.’ ” 16 And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. 17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
Jesus Christ is the son of GOD.
Re: Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. by sonmvayina(m): 8:49am On Aug 28, 2015
There where many Gods before the supposed time of christ, so which of them is he the son? I sincerely doubt it is the god of the old testament..The old testament God promised to send a messaih within 30-40 years from the time of Issiah, so Jesus is 500-600 late to be the messiah, and the messiah also has to be from the seed(sperm) of David.so as a matter of importance he must have a human father..there is no where in the old testament that says the messiah will be a demi god..the jews don't have that kind of professy..the messiah will come to save them from their enemy, bring peace to the region, build the 3rd temple and offer daily sacrifice to yaweh..he did not do any of these..he was suppose to do these when he comes not on his second coming, the jews don't have that kind of arrangement..so i ask again..which god is jesus the son of?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. by sonmvayina(m): 9:02am On Aug 28, 2015
The Greeks and the Romans, have a lot of it in their mythologies and fables..i bet you have watched "the clash of the titans"..perseus was a demi god. he had a devine father( Zeus) and a human or mortal mother. That was why he could do those things..the story of jesus( hail zeus) follow similar partern..my guess is that he is also a greek mythological character, put in a jewish settings to discorage the jews from waiting for the true messiah and bring them in to christainity.Because the other part of the empire has already embraced it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. by winner01(m): 5:01pm On Sep 12, 2015
John3:16
Re: Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. by Jozzy4: 5:57pm On Sep 12, 2015
Copy nd p.aste as usual , the article didnt even answer the question .
Nonsense .

1 Like

Re: Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. by winner01(m): 11:03pm On Sep 12, 2015
Jozzy4:
Copy nd p.aste as usual , the article didnt even answer the question .

Nonsense .
sorry ehn, i feel yur pain.
Re: Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. by Jozzy4: 1:18am On Sep 13, 2015
winner01:
sorry ehn, i feel yur pain.
Sorry for urself . Even angels are called son of God ( Job 1:6)

1 Like

Re: Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. by winner01(m): 1:38am On Oct 11, 2015
God reigns, Hallelujah
Re: Why Was Jesus Christ Called The Son Of God?. by deebrain(m): 6:06am On Oct 11, 2015
100% percent true.

I've always believed Jesus Christ is God Himself. The whole confusion in the world is the misunderstanding of the "Son of God" thing that people think to mean that God slept with someone-or God is two or three.

Anyways, na ONLY Holy Spirit fit explain these to people-MAJORITY OF EVEN CHRISTIANS WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS YOUR EXPLANATION!

(1) (Reply)

Breaking Generational Curses / Pope Takes A Picture With A Hindu Man / Jesus Just Sent A Message To Me. Dear Christian Fundamentalists Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.