Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable (18014 Views)

I Am Emotionally Going Bankrupt / How Do I Stop Been Emotionally Attached To People? / (SOLVED) This Drained Me Emotionally.pls Solve. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by francizy(m): 3:32pm On Aug 21, 2015
crackhaus:
You sit in the comfort of your struggled-to-acquire cubicle in the west and scream to high heavens about how you're a feminist, yet your neighbour's daughter back home in Nigeria still wakes up in the morning to hawk banana and groundnut just to make ends meet while her peers are in a classroom somewhere learning.
You have not made a difference in the life of one underprivileged young girl or woman in the village you come from by affecting her outcome and future, yet you're a bloody feminist.

The ones (probably related to you) that you've even managed to buy sewing machine for, you only did because you enjoy the idea of someone running to you calling you 'Aunty' and kissing your feet whenever they see you.

Charity organization, you can't start.
Organize grassroot rallies for your cause, you no fit.
Change the situation of some random young girl/woman on the streets, you don't even have the resources for it.

All y'all know how to do is sit behind your phones and laptops all day (probably jobless or earning meager wages) and scream I am a feminist without anything to show for it, except to claim the successes of your forebearers like y'all had anything to do with that - do you think they achieved what you say you're now enjoying by sitting behind technology, practising lazy feminism, and hating on anyone who refuses to be tagged as a feminist?

At least you people should join the free-the-tips campaign or the free-blood-flow campaign of some feminists so you can at least be seen as practising some form of what you preach, instead of being everywhere and nowhere.
Lawd knows I got no problem with freeing-the-tips, one can never see enough of b00bs...so please, go for it. gringrin

Werin be this?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Dies!!!
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by freecocoa(f): 3:37pm On Aug 21, 2015
damiso:

I guess that's true.

Maybe I don't get why difference in opinions always results in such bitter vitriol being exchanged.

My sister I won't lie sha, I also don't understand it, especially since we are supposed to be more mature in this section, even back then in the romance section where all we did most times, was e-wars grin, it didn't get this blawdy.

Sometimes seeing these exchanges, I conclude the persons involved know each other outside here and what we see here, is a carry over from the real world.
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by crackhaus: 3:44pm On Aug 21, 2015
francizy:

Oh boy eh!!! This my guy don vex oh!!! grin

donodion:

Osanobua ooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!! for this weekend, maka why? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

francizy:

Werin be this?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Dies!!!

Lol... grin

Okay people, show's over..
MizMyColi abeg take back your thread.

#selflove, I agree. gringrin
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by Truckpusher(m): 3:48pm On Aug 21, 2015
I was here.
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by Truckpusher(m): 3:58pm On Aug 21, 2015
crackhaus:

Lol... grin

Okay people, show's over..
MizMyColi abeg take back your thread.

#selflove, I agree. gringrin
grin grin cheesy Can self love calm those raging hormones of these guys? I need answers.

1 Like

Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by francizy(m): 4:05pm On Aug 21, 2015
MizMyColi:

So invariably oga RamD, what you are saying is that hustling for money and boosting your manly ego as a true man is more important than catering to the emotional needs of your wife?

Are you saying that striving to find some degree of balance is a sin?

Are you also agitating for outright selfishness in our relationships?

Mix this issue you're raising here is actually common on both divide. When a woman cares too much (although nagging usually associates this), the guy starts pulling off and it's also same the other way round because when I guy cares too much, the girl slows down or dulls it all. Its a vice versa thing and you shouldn't make it look like it's only a man's problem.
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by crackhaus: 4:11pm On Aug 21, 2015
Truckpusher:
grin grin cheesy Can self love calm those raging hormones of these guys? I need answers.
Baba, I hope for their sake that it does. grin
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by Truckpusher(m): 4:15pm On Aug 21, 2015
crackhaus:

Baba, I hope for their sake that it does. grin
You know one thing my grandpa use to say is that you can build your own world all you want but reality is a sure knock on the door that doesn't respect your world. And at the appropriate time you'll always face reality. grin
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by MizMyColi(f): 4:20pm On Aug 21, 2015
francizy:

Mix this issue you're raising here is actually common on both divide. When a woman cares too much (although nagging usually associates this), the guy starts pulling off and it's also same the other way round because when I guy cares too much, the girl slows down or dulls it all. Its a vice versa thing and you shouldn't make it look like it's only a man's problem.

I am going to publish shots of my convo with my friend. I hope it helps answer your question to a degree.

Did you read the motive behind his submission?
He simply doesn't care!

So what if the fire of love/desire is being extinguished?
It is a known fact that too much love kills desire.
So, what can both couples do to maintain balance?

Is it proper for the man to undermine the needs of his woman because it seems feeble and weak to him? And vice-versa?

Whatever happened to selflessness?
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by MizMyColi(f): 4:24pm On Aug 21, 2015
As a matter of fact, I created this thread in favour of the guys.
But they can't see it, can they?

You complain of an overbearing babe or girl, now, Francizy, I have proposed ways for the sisters to learn emotional independence at those times when HE becomes emotionally unavailable....
Isn't it a win-win?

As a guy, you can apply the principles too. Just substitute "sis" for "bro" and "ladies" for "guys"grin
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by crackhaus: 4:45pm On Aug 21, 2015
Truckpusher:
You know one thing my grandpa use to say is that you can build your own world all you want but reality is a sure knock on the door that doesn't respect your world. And at the appropriate time you'll always face reality. grin
Your grandpa knows his stuff.

My opinion on self-love is that everyone should aim for it, the reality however is that people usually end up not understanding what self-love truly implies and as a result, they either don't practise true self-love or they practise it to the extreme by loving themselves a little too much.

I also don't think self-love really has much to do with the examples Ujsizzle and MizMyColi gave (apologies hunnies), about serving yourself food the way you would serve a visitor or drinking from a mug instead of a plastic cup...that doesn't matter at the end of the day - I believe it's just knowing one's own worth and pedigree regardless how he/she eats, or from what cup he/she takes drinks.

As highlighted in the OP which makes the point as best as I agree with... self-love is simply knowing how to displease oneself while pleasing others as well as knowing exactly when to quit displeasing oneself for people who don't appreciate it.

It's a kind of satisfaction/contentment that envelops us when we realize that not everyone will appreciate, like, love, or regard us as much as we do them and remaining comfortable in this knowledge without getting antagonistic or going all out to hurt ourselves in the process of trying to change that situation.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by pickabeau1: 4:48pm On Aug 21, 2015
Yep the tray examples were a bit funny to me

Why embark on domesticities when I just want to eat

No be me go still park the tray go wash?

grin

1 Like

Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by kaboninc(m): 4:51pm On Aug 21, 2015
cococandy:

Taaa sharrap.

What's keepin you from going to type this when you you see two guys fighting on any of those numerous threads.

Look at this pig?

Are you looking for who to fight with? Did you see alata or alubosa on my head?

You better respect yourself.

Men fight for a reason. Women for no reason. Either you take it or you leave.

5 Likes

Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by crackhaus: 5:03pm On Aug 21, 2015
pickabeau1:
Yep the tray examples were a bit funny to me

Why embark on domesticities when I just want to eat

No be me go still park the tray go wash?

grin
Lol. gringrin
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by freecocoa(f): 5:16pm On Aug 21, 2015
crackhaus:

Your grandpa knows his stuff.

My opinion on self-love is that everyone should aim for it, the reality however is that people usually end up not understanding what self-love truly implies and as a result, they either don't practise true self-love or they practise it to the extreme by loving themselves a little too much.

I also don't think self-love really has much to do with the examples Ujsizzle and MizMyColi gave (apologies hunnies), about serving yourself food the way you would serve a visitor or drinking from a mug instead of a plastic cup...that doesn't matter at the end of the day - I believe it's just knowing one's own worth and pedigree regardless how he/she eats, or from what cup he/she takes drinks.

As highlighted in the OP which makes the point as best as I agree with... self-love is simply knowing how to displease oneself while pleasing others as well as knowing exactly when to quit displeasing oneself for people who don't appreciate it.

It's a kind of satisfaction/contentment that envelops us when we realize that not everyone will appreciate, like, love, or regard us as much as we do them and remaining comfortable in this knowledge without getting antagonistic or going all out to hurt ourselves in the process of trying to change that situation.
I quoted you because I agree with this post, also found those examples crazy(not in a bad way) walai but refrained from saying something because some people were already fighting.grin

I love myself to bits but will serve others better than I will myself, there's some kind of fulfilment I get from giving my sister or friend the only piece of meat left in the pot, it's also quicker and easier to eat from that plastic plate than some kid of unnecessary formality of trays/chinas for myself.

Hmm, glad to know know there's a kind person in you.tongue

1 Like

Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by MizMyColi(f): 5:22pm On Aug 21, 2015
crackhaus:

I agree with this part.

Not really - with this part.

Knowing your worth/pedigree has a lot to do with how you treat yourself when you're all by yourself.

Now, I agree in the sense that I could choose to wear bathroom slippers (the NGN100 kind) while stepping out for work in the morning and not feel less.
I have the heels, but I chose that because I feel more comfy......

Compare to a situation where I feel that I am not fit to wear heels because it is for women of class and calibre, and as such, I decide to wear my bathroom slippers because that is what fits me most.
By this ^ action, the interpretation in the long run is that I have written myself off. I do not ever see myself being in that class tomorrow.
I have reduced self to a level of chronic subserviency.

Also, compare a situation where I'm all by myself and I just choose to use plastic cups, even when there are mugs before me.
Could it be because, there's this archaic mentality down there that mugs and fancy stuff are for big men and big visitors and as such, I'm not worth using such? Or do I just feel that they are too heavy for me, and that I could use something simpler? Does that in anyway undermine who and what I am at the core?
More so, check this out - is there a possibility that as a result of natural progression, I just find myself using mugs these days without even consciously rejecting the plastics?

Now you get why I said I do not really agree with your position in this regard.

It suffices.
Sometimes, these things just happen unknowingly.
The more you progress on this path of enlightenment, the more you tend to drop habits (unconsciously and subconsciously) which you formed as a result of thinking rather low of yourself .
In other words, when lights of knowledge shines through erstwhile dark areas of one's being, you will most likely see changes happen that reflect your new status/life in this cosmos.

Lastly, on this issue of selflove/self-ish-ness....for those who genuinely desire to see themselves as the creator sees them, YOU will know when you are getting it right or wrong. His sovereign hand will be your guide.

For there is spirit in man; the inspiration of the almighty gives him understanding; of what is right, of what is wrong; of what to do, of what not to do.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by MizMyColi(f): 5:29pm On Aug 21, 2015
cheesy
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by raumdeuter: 5:46pm On Aug 21, 2015
MizMyColi:

So invariably oga RamD, what you are saying is that hustling for money and boosting your manly ego as a true man is more important than catering to the emotional needs of your wife?

Are you saying that striving to find some degree of balance is a sin?

Are you also agitating for outright selfishness in our relationships?

Are you married? Why I asked is because when you are married and especially have kids, you would realize marriage is less about romance and more about responsibilities

Imagine you have kids to feed and pay fees, House rent to pay. Wife has to cook, take kids to school or day care or hospital, Your kid is crying at night you think say all these is romantic?

The more kids and responsibilities come into your life the less romance and the more emotionally unavailable both parties become
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by pickabeau1: 5:51pm On Aug 21, 2015
Of course her life her way
I however do not see the correlation between serving yourself to eat and self love
The fact that one is pragmatic and sees eating for what it is,.. quick fuel.. and the fact that I love myself less because I ate in a certain fashion..

ok... nah... don't get it

If it was that I took a vacation or treat after so many years to treatin others... ok .. I get
Or..i decided not to take insults on my personality... yes
Or... I left an abuysive relationship.. yes
I left an underpaying job

But tray...ok

Whatever rocks the boat..

Her life. Her way.

If that's what she likes doing...no p.
Even though I personally consider it stress.
But I know for sure that for some of us our psyche has a way of impacting on how we see ourselves, and by extension, how others see us.

Before now, I would bypass all the cool plates in my kitchen and look for the pako kind.
I do this subconsciously.....without even realizing that it told to an extent how I saw myself then.

Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by MizMyColi(f): 5:52pm On Aug 21, 2015
raumdeuter:

Are you married? Why I asked is because when you are married and especially have kids, you would realize marriage is less about romance and more about responsibilities

Imagine you have kids to feed and pay fees, House rent to pay. Wife has to cook, take kids to school or day care or hospital, Your kid is crying at night you think say all these is romantic?

The more kids and responsibilities come into your life the less romance and the more emotionally unavailable both parties become

Isn't it funny how you're raking up these excuses and would be the foremost person to complain should Madam get attached to one Bobo that listens and caters to her emotional needs?

No one is asking you to overdo it, because women like mystery too.

But hey, both sides ought to work round these things.

I mean if they are both okay with just running house and children, fine.

But in a situation where one needs it, then an adjustment is in order.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is selfish!
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by MizMyColi(f): 5:54pm On Aug 21, 2015
pickabeau1:
Of course her life her way
I however do not see the correlation between serving yourself to eat and self love
The fact that one is pragmatic and sees eating for what it is,.. quick fuel.. and the fact that I love myself less because I ate in a certain fashion..

ok... nah... don't get it

If it was that I took a vacation or treat after so many years to treatin others... ok .. I get
Or..i decided not to take insults on my personality... yes
Or... I left an abuysive relationship.. yes
I left an underpaying job

But tray...ok

Whatever rocks the boat..

You know how we rollwink
Kindly unquotegrin
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by crackhaus: 5:55pm On Aug 21, 2015
freecocoa:
I quoted you because I agree with this post, also found those examples crazy(not in a bad way) walai but refrained from saying something because some people were already fighting.grin

I love myself to bits but will serve others better than I will myself, there's some kind of fulfilment I get from giving my sister or friend the only piece of meat left in the pot, it's also quicker and easier to eat from that plastic plate than some kid of unnecessary formality of trays/chinas for myself.

Hmm, glad to know know there's a kind person in you. tongue
Lol, I'm not all brass at the end of the day... wink grin
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by pickabeau1: 5:56pm On Aug 21, 2015
MizMyColi:

You know how we rollwink
Kindly unquotegrin

Modified..
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by raumdeuter: 5:58pm On Aug 21, 2015
MizMyColi:

Isn't it funny how you're raking up these excuses and would be the foremost person to complain should Madam get attached to one Bobo that listens and caters to her emotional needs?

No one is asking you to overdo it, because women like mystery too.

But hey, both sides ought to work round these things.

I mean if they are both okay with just running house and children, fine.

But in a situation where one needs it, then an adjustment is in order.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is selfish!

Any madam who wants to start seeing another guy is free to do so. Using Lagos as an example When a man and wife wakes up at 5am dont get back till like 9pm. Both having to care for children you brought into the world

atimes travel to far places for business just to keep the house moving and the other thinks the best is to find another bobo or babe then no problem

Hopefully that bobo would also do the things needed to keep the house running pay bills, take care of children and do everything. Couples that used to visit cinema or club every friday night before marriage ask them after marriage and kids how many times have they been able to do that

1 Like

Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by Nobody: 6:00pm On Aug 21, 2015
Modified

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by freecocoa(f): 6:07pm On Aug 21, 2015
crackhaus:

Lol, I'm not all brass at the end of the day... wink grin
True.smiley
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by 3rdlegxxx(m): 6:19pm On Aug 21, 2015
I see that MizMy.. is open minded enough to observe things that most ladies don't and obviously has a touch of psychology about her, either she read it up or was a student, either ways, i like her sense of reasoning and OP did a really good job, all 3 of us should meet for a cinema out and just rub minds ...... NL is getting better by the day for me, really impressive thread

1 Like

Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by Idowuogbo(f): 6:20pm On Aug 21, 2015
Jehovah!! See heavy EPE(curse) shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by Chillis: 6:24pm On Aug 21, 2015
M
damiso:
Please I want to ask a question following on from the I am/not a feminist label argument that has ensued esp. based on Chillis assertion about women who are enjoying privileges fought for by activists not being want to be called feminists.

Please what are those privileges or rights in NIGERIA that women now enjoy from NIGERIAN Feminist activities? And no I am not talking things like TED talk by Chinamanda I am talking about actual political issues( social and cultural norms are subjective and influenced by location, culture which is quite vast In Nigeria or even family background sef) so its difficult to gauge how that has been influenced by the femisnist movement. I never thought I was less than any boy right from when I was young and that was not even before I knew of the word or movement called feminism.

I want issues like right to vote, right to own property, right to education etc. as these are some of the things that Feminists eg the suffragettes had to fight for in the west. I know there are loads of organisations and people that talk about empowering women financially, culturally etcin Nigeria but I rarely see the insistence on being called 'feminist' organisations like I see on NL.

I personally don't see why anybody cant choose to identify or call themselves anything they want to. I just don't get the flip side on why any woman who believes women can and should be empowered but just chooses not to say ' I am a feminist' is a joker.

A lot of priviledges enjoyed by AAs today was fought for by the civil rights movement but that same movement is not really reckoned with by some AAs today because some believe that organisations like the NAACP have become overtly self serving. Does that mean that those AA's should not vote,get a job, sit on the bus next to a white person?etc. I don't believe they should deride those who are civil rights activists ( like I don't feel feminists should be derided) but why cant they say they 'choose' not to be called one.Afterall some of the rights that they now enjoy was fought for by that movement.

What are you saying? Is it thé joker i called people that made you type all thèse. When féminists are called names.,no one Will find your input but Will quickly find you on thé reverse.

Madam, pls take thé back Seat i dont havé Time for plenty talk.

Edwife, m'y gadget is messing up. Thé french no wan disappear.

If you dont bêlieve in something,your business but dont Also try to rédicule others.

I suggest you and d'amiso should take her advise

5 Likes

Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by crackhaus: 6:31pm On Aug 21, 2015
MizMyColi:

Knowing your worth/pedigree has a lot to do with how you treat yourself when you're all by yourself.

Now, I agree in the sense that I could choose to wear bathroom slippers (the NGN100 kind) while stepping out for work in the morning and not feel less.
I have the heels, but I chose that because I feel more comfy......

Compare to a situation where I feel that I am not fit to wear heels because it is for women of class and calibre, and as such, I decide to wear my bathroom slippers because that is what fits me most.
By this ^ action, the interpretation in the long run is that I have written myself off. I do not ever see myself being in that class tomorrow.
I have reduced self to a level of chronic subserviency.

Also, compare a situation where I'm all by myself and I just choose to use plastic cups, even when there are mugs before me.
Could it be because, there's this archaic mentality down there that mugs and fancy stuff are for big men and big visitors and as such, I'm not worth using such? Or do I just feel that they are too heavy for me, and that I could use something simpler? Does that in anyway undermine who and what I am at the core?
More so, check this out - is there a possibility that as a result of natural progression, I just find myself using mugs these days without even consciously rejecting the plastics?

Now you get why I said I do not really agree with your position in this regard.

It suffices.
Sometimes, these things just happen unknowingly.
The more you progress on this path of enlightenment, the more you tend to drop habits (unconsciously and subconsciously) which you formed as a result of thinking rather low of yourself .
In other words, when lights of knowledge shines through erstwhile dark areas of one's being, you will most likely see changes happen that reflect your new status/life in this cosmos.

Lastly, on this issue of selflove/self-ish-ness....for those who genuinely desire to see themselves as the creator sees them, YOU will know when you are getting it right or wrong. His sovereign hand will be your guide.

For there is spirit in man; the inspiration of the almighty gives him understanding; of what is right, of what is wrong; of what to do, of what not to do.

Lol...babe, how you treat yourself when you're by yourself cannot be used to measure your worth.
First and only because, this is usually the time when you can be most yourself without the need for etiquette or standing-on-ceremony.
I honestly don't know how to explain this to you further.

About the heels example and how someone may have conditioned her mind into believing that heels are only meant for women of class - this begs the question, why would she even buy heels in the first place if she's only going to be wearing slippers which she feels are more suited to her station?

This situation above isn't even about self-love anymore but about someone who's seriously lacking in exposure & self-esteem - the consequence of these therefore, are massive insecurities.

Same goes with the example of mugs/plates being only suitable for guests/big visitors. lol... grin
So you mean someone who has the standing to have & entertain big visitors still lacks self-love because she chooses to use plastic plates when alone?
Come on girl, you're trivializing the whole concept of self-love when you make use of examples like these.

I can understand when parents hide their China wares from their little kids to avoid breakage and injury... but to say that someone lacks self-love because he/she eats with plastics or aluminium and then offers China ceramic to visitors, is just you stretching it and interpreting it to be something that isn't there.

Self-love doesn't just have to be how you treat yourself physically, it should be more about how you see yourself mentally.
If someone has to deliberately do stuff just to prove to himself/herself how much self-love he/she got, then something is very much wrong somewhere.

3 Likes

Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by Chillis: 6:33pm On Aug 21, 2015
bukatyne:

@Bold:

On point

I doubt people in real life go about saying I am a feminist etc. bla bla

Your actions tell If you are or are not.

Again, not everyone will be a feminist / Christian /liberal/ conservative etc

@Mizmycoli: nice thread

Afteral, the Bible says 'Love your neighbor as yourself'

You have got to love yourself first which you Now extend to other people.

At bolded, that's why I don't get it when yall engage in endless back ànd forth.

Asking rediculous questions they already have answers to. Who get that time to try and convince

It's either you believe or not. EOD

4 Likes

Re: When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable by Chillis: 6:35pm On Aug 21, 2015
cococandy:

I thought so too.

@bold tell me about about it. If you're working for any private company in NIGERIA, na dem get you be that. You gotta do as they say because they can drop unjustly without repercussions.

With the 20 tassan naira they pay as salary cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? / Letter To Married African Men And Women By Temi Badmus / How Lagos Couple Died In Fire, By Neighbours (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.