Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,878 members, 7,802,833 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) (3888 Views)

9 Nigerian Music Influenced Slangs And Their Meanings / Download Motivation Audio: Stop Killing Time / Who Is The Most Underrated Artiste In The Nigerian Music Industry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by blacnewton(m): 7:43pm On Aug 19, 2015
The Nigerian entertainment industry (especially the music industry) is a scam. My blog is all about challenging the status quo when it comes to marketing, career development and life so I don't normally write about music even though I am passionate about "good" music.

A lot of BS has been going on in the music industry for quite some time now, that I am sick of. So, I have decided to take a leap and write about it. I'm not sure if this article will change anything or if the "cartel" will get to read it but I'm writing it anyways.

The Music Industry Is Killing Talents And Breeding Fools.

Let me make something clear here before I continue, the music industry is made up of;

*The musical artistes, record labels and labels owners
*Organizers of events and award ceremonies
*Entertainment blogs and bloggers
*OAPs and Djs
AND (You and I) the AUDIENCE. So when I say the music industry, we are not exempted.

If you want to hit it big as an upcoming artiste in Nigeria, you don't need to be excellent (mediocrity is enough). These are the things you need to do;

1) Don't sing good music because "good" music don't sell in Nigeria

2) Go to a fucking recording studio, work with a popular producer, he would sure cook up some goddamn beat for you that will rock your shitty music. "The beat is more important that what you are singing".
Note: Getting a popular producer to work on your song is expensive but don't worry you will "blow." Borrow from your friends and family or steal dammit!

3) Get close to the "Cartel"- those that are ready to spend money on your music. Don't worry it is not that hard to wine and dine with the "cartel" if you did no3 (above) successfully.

4) The "Cartel" will in turn do massive publicity on your shitty music. It will be all over the social media - entertainment and music blogs. And they will also bribe OAPs and Djs they know across various radio stations to play your song.

4b) If no 4 doesn't work, they'd create a controversial story around you and your music - like you just signed with Jay-Z or Sony Entertainment and it will damn sell because our shitty gossip blogs will accept it before they even accept Jesus as their lord and savior.
Our gossip blogs will kindly publish it (without confirming the news) because that's what they do. If the Sony Entertainment gist doesn't work they might pull the dumbest PR stunt ever - that you are fucking dead and then you resurrected (God I love Nigeria).

5) After they have successful forced themselves on us, they become popular, they become brand ambassadors and graced shitty awards ceremonies and they become super stars that are too busy to Retweet your mentions on twitter or lecture you on how they worked their ass off to get where they are.

That is the summary of the day-to-day shit that goes down in the Nigerian music industry. And they have successfully brainwashed us with this shit, that we actually think the shit is the real stuff.

We need to come out of our slumber, wake up and challenge this shit. This shit kills talents. Talents are now scared of going to the studio to record good music because they feel good music no longer sells in Nigeria.

And even if they do, they'd never get airplays (because they do not have money to bribe OAPs and DJs).

The award ceremonies are even worse. It is all part of the scam. You get awards based on how popular your song is and not how good it is. It is all about the money and how close you are to the "cartel."

These guys have no regards for us and that is why you'd hear them say "omo naija people no dey hear good music, na wetin dem like be dis... Na em dey sell". They dictate what we listen to, instead of the other way round.

It is high time we put and end to this shit and re-build the music industry. We have the power to dictate what we want to listen to (and that is not mediocre music). You guys (OAPs and DJs) have the power to create work that matters by promoting good music.

And this is to the talents out there, the ones that are passionate about what you do, keep creating work that matters. Keep doing good music and don't stop connecting with people. There are still reasonable and credible OAPs and DJs that are ready to help and you never can tell until reach out.

Let us start breeding talents and stop breeding fools.

Source: http://sadiqspeaks.com

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by hamzakito(m): 7:46pm On Aug 19, 2015
abi... na naija for u.... ftc
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by Nobody: 7:46pm On Aug 19, 2015
undecided
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by Larablink(f): 7:47pm On Aug 19, 2015
I wish I read it,but its too long. undecided
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by Lanceslot(m): 7:52pm On Aug 19, 2015
The scam industry that created mouth watering jobs for the citizens and non citizens of this country. Its about time we start appreciating what we have.

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by blacnewton(m): 7:59pm On Aug 19, 2015
Lanceslot:
The scam industry that created mouth watering jobs for the citizens and non citizens of this country. Its about time we start appreciating what we have.

what mouth watering jobs? This dude is funny.
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 19, 2015
Lol... grin
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by Swarshtiger(m): 8:06pm On Aug 19, 2015
True brother,am even struggling to get through
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by fnep2smooth(m): 8:17pm On Aug 19, 2015
True but what do you expect when the citizens prefer shouting on top correct beat than singing a well structured song.
::

In other news

check out the Top10 Upcoming Artist Music Chart in Naija. upload your song for free to compete in the count down @ www.wavetop10.com

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by xpac01(m): 8:37pm On Aug 19, 2015
You actually mean the secular music industry. Come to gospel you hear meaningful songs.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by Rick9(m): 8:49pm On Aug 19, 2015
the shi is so annoying artistes just love to waste good beats and the industry is breeding mediocres when I listen to foreign songs I marvel bad music hurts my ears

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by crazygod(m): 10:38am On Aug 20, 2015
xpac01:
You actually mean the secular music industry. Come to gospel you hear meaningful songs.

The Op is correct. It is even eating deep in the gospel industry. Upcoming gospel singers still have to pay oap's and Djs thru their nose to get their song aired. Only difference is the gospel music has a longer life span than secular music.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by Rhymzydmf(m): 1:25pm On Aug 20, 2015
True say, just wished d whole nation will c dis..#we done 2 hear n play bad muzik abeg.
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 20, 2015
Na so but music is choice u can listen to any song you prefer. Listen to this songs by me if you like good music on http://www.datafilehost.com/d/18a38f55
Or
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/f92c1041
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by 9jabox(m): 11:15am On Aug 21, 2015
They (our musicians) have a sick audience that buy the crap they churn out. If we don't buy and don't pay to watch them perform sh*t, then they'll do the right thing.
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by fearlesschicken: 5:39pm On Aug 21, 2015
Cc:lalasticlala
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by fearlesschicken: 5:45pm On Aug 21, 2015
Lanceslot:

Please read the op before commenting. He never said anything about not appreciating what we have.
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by hahn(m): 5:53pm On Aug 21, 2015
You have to be referring to "afro hiphop". You should listen to the lyrics of some fuji and juju music. Those guys dey yarn
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by softvio(m): 7:12am On Aug 23, 2015
Rhymzydmf:
True say, just wished d whole nation will c dis..#we done 2 hear n play bad muzik abeg.

lolz..i catch you! Murdra!!!
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by softvio(m): 7:25am On Aug 23, 2015
Nice write up OP, but i think the audience should be more powerful than the "cartel". We should be the one dictating the industry, but the problem why the bad music thrives, is base on the level of our education. For example 10.5 million nigerian kids are out of school, you don't expect them to listen to the good music of Boogey,Paybac and the likes of Emmsong . Secondly unemployement, this one covers 47% reasons why bad music sells. Out of frustration those that don't possess the talent, jump into the scene and spoil the music for the talented ones. The audience out of frustration tend to dance to any rythmn than to listen to the lyrics, the artistes play a smart one on them, by looking for fast tempo good beats, and sing nonsense on top. Hmm "this music gift is a sh*t! God help us cause this music biz is a cliff" JCole.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by gumaveddy(m): 7:55pm On Aug 23, 2015
Lanceslot:
bro, what is bad is bad. Naija music is nothing to write home about. I don't have them in my phone

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by safarigirl(f): 1:05am On Aug 24, 2015
Lol, Nigerians must think they're so phuckin' important. Y'all think you're the ones feeding the 'shitty' artistes? Go to Congo, Rwanda, Morocco, Zambia, Kenya, Togo, Angola. Those are the people hyping your acts. Go see how Bracket wey una no go gree see for 50
naira headline shows in Congo. Visit Peter Okoye's page one day and see how peeps from Ghana to Germany promote them, watch their concerts in packed up stadiums in French and Portuguese-speaking nations. Go to twitter and discover Yemi Alade fans across Africa and realise that whether you hype them or not, Nigerian artistes have conquered Africa, not even Nigeria, with shitty music

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by safarigirl(f): 1:08am On Aug 24, 2015
gumaveddy:
bro, what is bad is bad. Naija music is nothing to write home about. I don't have them in my phone
congratulations. I don't have classical music in my phone, doesn't make them bad. Since when did you become judge of what's 'bad music'? Have you not heard the adage of 'one man's food'?

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by Darlingnice(m): 3:04am On Aug 24, 2015
nothing like good song get this by Darlingnice http://www.datafilehost.com/d/8599e15e
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by JiggamanGh: 5:25am On Aug 24, 2015
safarigirl:
Lol, Nigerians must think they're so phuckin' important. Y'all think you're the ones feeding the 'shitty' artistes? Go to Congo, Rwanda, Morocco, Zambia, Kenya, Togo, Angola. Those are the people hyping your acts. Go see how Bracket wey una no go gree see for 50
naira headline shows in Congo. Visit Peter Okoye's page one day and see how peeps from Ghana to Germany promote them, watch their concerts in packed up stadiums in French and Portuguese-speaking nations. Go to twitter and discover Yemi Alade fans across Africa and realise that whether you hype them or not, Nigerian artistes have conquered Africa, not even Nigeria, with shitty music

For once I agree with you. Nigerian music is the best in Africa and no one comes even close to second.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by LeSudAfricaine: 12:31pm On Aug 24, 2015
JiggamanGh:

For once I agree with you. Nigerian music is the best in Africa and no one comes even close to second.
For once I disagree with you, it is no where near being best Jigga, it's just popular

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by KINGOFJAPAN: 5:37pm On Aug 25, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
For once I disagree with you, it is no where near being best Jigga, it's just popular
and wait lemme guess sa bantu music is d bes t in africa ?
grin grin you should consider stand up comedy ,you'll give trevor noah a run for his money

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by LeSudAfricaine: 5:42pm On Aug 25, 2015
KINGOFJAPAN:
and wait lemme guess sa bantu music is d bes t in africa ?
grin grin you should consider stand up comedy ,you'll give trevor noah a run for his money
Unless you call that excess screaming with disgard for lyricsm and vocals music

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by JiggamanGh: 6:39pm On Aug 25, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:

Nigeria music is really good, I mean it's popular for reason. Listen to guys like Duncan mighty, flavour, Brymo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by LeSudAfricaine: 6:56pm On Aug 25, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Nigeria music is really good, I mean it's popular for reason. Listen to guys like Duncan mighty, flavour, Brymo
Popularity doesn't always translate to quality....*coughs* Nollywood......
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by KINGOFJAPAN: 7:14pm On Aug 25, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
Unless you call that excess screaming with disgard for lyricsm and vocals music
still better than bantu bushman one beat music
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by KINGOFJAPAN: 7:16pm On Aug 25, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
Popularity doesn't always translate to quality....*coughs* Nollywood......
ENVY KILLS grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

VIDEO: Duncan Mighty – Mama Born Dem [DOWNLOADD] / Download Nigeria Motivational And Inspirational Gospel Instrumental By IJ Beats / INSTRUMENTAL: Mr Eazi - Keys To The City (ogede)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.