Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,667 members, 7,801,927 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! (12964 Views)

Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe / Some Amazing Facts About The Ijebus / Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by MisterG: 4:55pm On Aug 24, 2015
scholes0:
^^ None.
Yorubas have lived in West Africa, before Arabs even entered Sudan.
Group 2 might just be as old, but unrelated.

Can you tell me a point of time when large migration of Arabs entered in Sudan? Inquiring minds like to know? Actually what is Sudan today, is pretty much a created country, just like Nigeria in some respects.
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by scholes0(m): 4:59pm On Aug 24, 2015
MisterG:

Can you tell me a point of time when large migration of Arabs entered in Sudan? Inquiring minds like to know? Actually what is Sudan today, is pretty much a created country, just like Nigeria in some respects.

I know Yorubas are native to West Africa, while Arabs are not native to Sudan.
You can open a new thread about it and tag me, but I do not want to contribute to the continuation of the OP's title, which is just being deliberately stupid and misleading.
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by MisterG: 5:03pm On Aug 24, 2015
scholes0:

There is a big difference of being racially arab, and being Arabized. It is similar to Nigerians speaking English, but does speaking English make you Englishmen?
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by MisterG: 5:04pm On Aug 24, 2015
scholes0:

You can open a new thread about it and tag me, but I do not want to contribute to the continuation of the OP's title, which is just being deliberately stupid and misleading.

I agree what the OP written is indeed silly. I may create a thread about the subject me and you are discussing.
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by scholes0(m): 5:06pm On Aug 24, 2015
MisterG:

There is a big difference of being racially arab, and being Arabized. It is similar to Nigerians speaking English, but does speaking English make you Englishmen?

Yes, maybe.
but those first group are basically hybrids. A mixture of two or more races. Which simply means that they are a mixture of an indiginous population, and something foreign.
Just look at this man

1 Like

Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by MisterG: 5:20pm On Aug 24, 2015
scholes0:

Yes, maybe.
but those first group are basically hybrids. A mixture of two or more races. Which simply means that they are a mixture of an indiginous population, and something foreign.
Just look at this man

What is so mixed about Omar Bashir? Can you explain this picture of the Christian period of their country?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/498527_RW006433_jpg1ca630f9c0780cf42cec49ac9603570f

and this is before the islamic period. All Africans do not subscribe to the West African phenotype?

[img]http://sudanembassy.com.pk/ar/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Afra-mool.jpg[/img]
A good example is this. This is a mall in Khartoum Sudan above, majority of Northern Sudanese, if you put the Afar tribes men here, and dress him in modern clothes, you will not be able to see a huge difference.

Afar tribesman Ethiopia

Nor the Rwandan President, who happen to be Tutsi

and Eritreans

[img]http://4.bp..com/-VjEotLp6EUQ/UJsBxjxnmVI/AAAAAAAAC4Y/hRFjOmTc5-g/s1600/Eritrean+Cycling+team.jpg[/img]

Can you explain these similarities?
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by scholes0(m): 5:36pm On Aug 24, 2015
MisterG:

What is so mixed about Omar Bashir? Can you explain this picture of the Christian period of their country?

Can you explain these similarities?

Modern Sudanese, are simply a mixture of various populations.
Some are at the extreme ends of each spectrum, like the very Arab looking ones, and the very Nilotic looking ones. Omar Al bashir looks something like a Black man, with some Arab ancestry...... If the look of a population is not uniform, then know some mixing has happened somewhere.

Look at this Arab

Look at this other Arab

And this

And finally this

All are classic signs of population mixture.

Although, the mix of some other groups are much older, making them look more like an authentic 1 lineage ethnicity.
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by MisterG: 5:48pm On Aug 24, 2015
scholes0:

Modern Sudanese, are simply a mixture of various populations.
Some are at the extreme ends of each spectrum, like the very Arab looking ones, and the very Nilotic looking ones. Omar Al bashir looks something like a Black man, with some Arab ancestry...... If the look of a population is not uniform, then know some mixing has happened somewhere.

Look at this Arab

Look at this other Arab

And this

And finally this

All are classic signs of population mixture.

Although, the mix of some other groups are much older, making them look more like an authentic 1 lineage ethnicity.

The girl is from the Rashaida tribe which is a recent tribe that arrived to Eritrea and Sudan during the 18th century, who i am familiar with. The first guy you posted is obviously from Darfur, who is genetically link to West Africans.

The guy wearing jallabiyas is from the Shaigiya, but you have not answer the other question above.

I will say this and not going to further arguments. Sudan is basically the fault-line of various different people on the Continent. It borders Egypt, so you will have Egyptian looking people there, Eritrean and Ethiopian which mean you have many that look horners, Chad which means we have many people that look like Chadians, South Sudan etc.

[img]http://sites.duke.edu/stefanijones/files/2011/12/Map-of-Sudan-UN.jpg[/img]

It is very different from the Nigerian reality.
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by scholes0(m): 5:56pm On Aug 24, 2015
MisterG:

The girl is from the Rashaida tribe which is a recent tribe that arrived to Eritrea and Sudan during the 18th century, who i am familiar with. The first guy you posted is obviously from Darfur, who is genetically link to West Africans.

The guy wearing jallabiyas is from the Shaigiya, but you have not answer the other question above.

I will say this and not going to further arguments. Sudan is basically the fault-line of various different people on the Continent. It borders Egypt, so you will have Egyptian looking people there, Eritrean and Ethiopian which mean you have many that look horners, Chad which means we have many people that look like Chadians, South Sudan etc.

[img]http://sites.duke.edu/stefanijones/files/2011/12/Map-of-Sudan-UN.jpg[/img]

It is very different from the Nigerian reality.

They are all sudanese Arabs, a Population mix. The guy you say is from Darfur, can actually be Arab from anywhere in Sudan. Even Nubian!
I answered your question, I said the mix of those guyz are very old, and variances in their looks have stabilized.... It can deceive some people.
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by scholes0(m): 5:57pm On Aug 24, 2015
lol, even Egyptians are Mixed, and there you are, thinking Sudanese aren't..
oh well...
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by MisterG: 6:50pm On Aug 24, 2015
scholes0:

They are all sudanese Arabs, a Population mix. The guy you say is from Darfur, can actually be Arab from anywhere in Sudan. Even Nubian!
I answered your question, I said the mix of those guyz are very old, and variances in their looks have stabilized.... It can deceive some people.

The problem with your theory, you have not pointed to anything that is historically accurate, in regards to large migration of Arabs in the country. As a Eritrean that lived in Sudan, i can tell the guy is from Darfur. He could be Nubian, but he would be an outlayer of the nubian population, because the majority look like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Ip7qKX3ms

Nubian village North Sudan. My point, Yoruba people are definitely not from the Nile Valley peoples of Sudan, maybe South Kordofan or Darfur, but certainly not North or Eastern Sudan.
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 24, 2015
Can someone help me reconcile something here? The 'Sudan' theories say the Ijebu are an offshoot of 'the Wadai Empire in Sudan'. But Wadai straddles Chad and the Central African Republic, and so technically isn't in Sudan.

Who made the connection with Sudan, and how did he (they) go from Chad-CAR to Sudan?

1 Like

Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by TerraCotta(m): 10:14pm On Aug 24, 2015
Radoillo:
Can someone help me reconcile something here? The 'Sudan' theories say the Ijebu are an offshoot of 'the Wadai Empire in Sudan'. But Wadai straddles Chad and the Central African Republic, and so technically isn't in Sudan.

Who made the connection with Sudan, and how did he (they) go from Chad-CAR to Sudan?

Good question. This 'Sudan theory' is boosted by people with a poor understanding of geography. Until the creation of the modern nation of the same name, the Sudan was a generic Muslim term for the savannah belt of central Africa, from Senegal to parts of Ethiopia. Bilad Al-Sudan ("land of the blacks" ) is an Arabic phrase for the region, and much like modern Ghana or Benin Republic took their names from larger, distinct historic areas, the contemporary country reflects this older term. The "Waddai" of the myth is a reflection of the region, and not the modern nation.

This myth is likely to reflect the 19th-century southward drift of Yoruba-speakers moving away from central Nigeria (the tenuous edge of the 'Sudan' region) during the jihad. Old Oyo reached into present-day Kwara State and even further north, while the Niger River crossing around Jebba Island (present Kwara/Niger state border) is believed to be one of the most important trading posts for Ile-Ife at its economic height. This steady southward movement of non-Muslim groups had been going on sporadically for hundreds of years as Muslim political power expanded and non-Muslims sought refuge away from these developments. The same thing was happening in Northern Africa and southern Spain as the Moors and Almoravids established themselves in earlier periods of expansion. It may also be a genuine reference to some portion of the population immigrating from the area around Bornu, which was a recorded claim by colonial-era Yoruba historians in 1910s Lagos. There are superficial similarities between northeastern Nigerian facial markings and some of the bronze/brass/copper Ile-Ife heads, for instance, so the Awujale has used this to support his claims of Sudanese origins in the early 1980s.

Of course, any right-thinking person who can read would see that virtually all Ijebu cultural markers--from language and government to religion and food--align with all the other Yoruba groups.

It's in recent years that the modern nation of Sudan has become the focal point for this particular myth, rather than the earlier reference to the broader region.

This is all nice to discuss but the fracturing of identities is a reflection of current politics and has little to do with history. Obafemi Awolowo is the quintessential modern Yoruba and a founder of the Egbe Omo Oduduwa, but he regarded himself as an Ijebu from Remo. These days, Remo indigenes themselves often wish to be regarded as an independent group from Ijebu. The aim of the thread itself is inherently political and I'm fairly sure the originator has little interest in factual Yoruba history and is more focused on petty propaganda.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by Nobody: 10:36pm On Aug 24, 2015
TerraCotta:

Good question. This 'Sudan theory' is boosted by people with a poor understanding of geography. Until the creation of the modern nation of the same name, the Sudan was a generic Muslim term for the savannah belt of central Africa, from Senegal to parts of Ethiopia. Bilad Al-Sudan ("land of the blacks"wink is an Arabic phrase for the region, and much like modern Ghana or Benin Republic took their names from larger, distinct historic areas, the contemporary country reflects this older term. The "Waddai" of the myth is a reflection of the region, and not the modern nation.

This myth is likely to reflect the 19th-century southward of Yoruba-speakers moving away from central Nigeria during the jihad--Old Oyo reached into present-day Kwara State, and the Niger River was one of the most important trading posts for Ile-Ife at its economic height--as Old Oyo fell to Ilorin. This southward movement of non-Muslim groups had been going on sporadically for hundreds of years as Muslim political power expanded and non-Muslims sought refuge away from these developments. The same thing was happening in Northern Africa and southern Spain as the Moors and Almoravids established themselves. It may also be a genuine reference to some portion of the population immigrating from the area around Bornu, which was a recorded claim by colonial-era Yoruba historians in 1910s Lagos. There are superficial similarities between northeastern Nigerian facial markings and some of the bronze/brass/copper Ile-Ife heads, for instance, so the Awujale has used this to support his claims of Sudanese origins in the early 1980s.

Of course, any right-thinking person who can read would see that virtually all Ijebu cultural markers--from language and government to religion and food--align with all the other Yoruba groups.

It's in recent years that the modern nation of Sudan has become the focal point for this particular myth, rather than the earlier reference to the broader region.

This is all nice to discuss but the fracturing of identities is a reflection of current politics and has little to do with history. Obafemi Awolowo is the quintessential modern Yoruba and a founder of the Egbe Omo Oduduwa, but he regarded himself as an Ijebu from Remo. These days, Remo indigenes themselves often wish to be regarded as an independent group from Ijebu. The aim of the thread itself is inherently political and I'm fairly sure the originator has little interest in factual Yoruba history and is more focused on petty propaganda.

Now this I can wrap my head around.

1 Like

Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by KingTom(m): 11:14pm On Aug 24, 2015
francizy:

Sudanese doctor! cheesy
Emi niyen cool

1 Like

Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by 2prexios: 8:35am On Aug 25, 2015
KingTom:

Emi niyen cool
In Oladipo Odeogbolu's voice, 'where is the mastermind and the arrowhead of this phantom' thread? Op come an finish what you started o. Lol, the coward is nowhere to be found. I thing the thread is now starting to making sense, thanks to those 'proffesor chindrens' that are now making input. cheesy
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by KingTom(m): 2:34pm On Aug 25, 2015
2prexios:
In Oladipo Odeogbolu's voice, 'where is the mastermind and the arrowhead of this phantom' thread? Op come an finish what you started o. Lol, the coward is nowhere to be found. I thing the thread is now starting to making sense, thanks to those 'proffesor chindrens' that are now making input. cheesy
See are you people mad? Shey eyin ti ya werey Ni? See Awujale Sikiru has spoken! All the professor chindrens should shut up!! We are Sudanese period!!! grin grin
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by 2prexios: 3:38pm On Aug 25, 2015
KingTom:

See are you people mad? Shey eyin ti ya werey Ni? See Awujale Sikiru has spoken! All the professor chindrens should shut up!! We are Sudanese period!!! grin grin
LOLZ. You are smoking sudan bush already grin. I'm so happy for this your homecoming. Umar KingTom ibn Muktar ISIS Wal~Suddaniyyah.
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by Nobody: 12:57pm On Aug 26, 2015
TerraCotta:

Good question. This 'Sudan theory' is boosted by people with a poor understanding of geography. Until the creation of the modern nation of the same name, the Sudan was a generic Muslim term for the savannah belt of central Africa, from Senegal to parts of Ethiopia. Bilad Al-Sudan ("land of the blacks" ) is an Arabic phrase for the region, and much like modern Ghana or Benin Republic took their names from larger, distinct historic areas, the contemporary country reflects this older term. The "Waddai" of the myth is a reflection of the region, and not the modern nation.

This myth is likely to reflect the 19th-century southward drift of Yoruba-speakers moving away from central Nigeria (the tenuous edge of the 'Sudan' region) during the jihad. Old Oyo reached into present-day Kwara State and even further north, while the Niger River crossing around Jebba Island (present Kwara/Niger state border) is believed to be one of the most important trading posts for Ile-Ife at its economic height. This steady southward movement of non-Muslim groups had been going on sporadically for hundreds of years as Muslim political power expanded and non-Muslims sought refuge away from these developments. The same thing was happening in Northern Africa and southern Spain as the Moors and Almoravids established themselves in earlier periods of expansion. It may also be a genuine reference to some portion of the population immigrating from the area around Bornu, which was a recorded claim by colonial-era Yoruba historians in 1910s Lagos. There are superficial similarities between northeastern Nigerian facial markings and some of the bronze/brass/copper Ile-Ife heads, for instance, so the Awujale has used this to support his claims of Sudanese origins in the early 1980s.

No homo but i L*** You. throughout today all i've been seeing is idiotic comments from crackpots like yorubatic and some other NL Hooligans but i finally saw knowledge. 100%

Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by Sebastine1994(m): 10:29am On May 04, 2023
grin
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by Christistruth02: 7:23pm On May 04, 2023
In other words Awolowo isn’t Yoruba
Very soon they will claim the Oyo are not Yorubas but Nupes
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by laiperi: 2:11pm On May 07, 2023
TerraCotta,

Thank you for your input. Some of those Ijebu claiming Sudan origin also pointed to some Ijebu tribal marks similar to some Sudanese.

I am also mindful of how you explained some Kanuri or around Borno marks similar to Yoruba.

We have so many bogus stories to disclaim their Yoruba culture, even claiming Yoruba got their culture undecided
Re: Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! by geosegun(m): 6:34am On May 09, 2023
laiperi:
TerraCotta,

Thank you for your input. Some of those Ijebu claiming Sudan origin also pointed to some Ijebu tribal marks similar to some Sudanese.

I am also mindful of how you explained some Kanuri or around Borno marks similar to Yoruba.

We have so many bogus stories to disclaim their Yoruba culture, even claiming Yoruba got their culture undecided

I understand that the Kanuris are distant cousins of the Yorubas. During the second wave migration some decided to stay back while the Oduduwa group proceeded to Ife. The Kanuri and the Yorubas naturally have similar physical attributes and get along so well, even until this day.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Our Language Is Going Dead- A Case Study Of The Ogu (egun) Language Of Badagry / Are Hispanics Mixed Descendant Of African Slaves And European Colonists / Difference Between Onye Uwa-your Re-incarnator-and Chi Uwa-your Guardian Angel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.