Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,005 members, 7,803,334 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! (20086 Views)

Kaduna Adopts Finland Education System; To Pay Teachers More – El-Rufai / The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System / Certificate Conscious Nigeria. How Far We Have Produced Graduate Dummies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 9:48am On Aug 21, 2015
Why do we go to school? This was the question I asked a few undergraduates the last time I visited a Nigerian University! Almost all the answers bordered on just getting a degree- a Certificate. I didn't blame them that much because the system has been designed to achieve just that. We have a system that places more value on a paper than the actual content on the inside of the possessor of such a certificate.

The future of a nation lies in the PROPER education o it's youths- JFK! No nation ever became great without paying adequate attention to the proper education of its youths. The youths are the future. They are the ttomorrow. If they're given a haphazard level o education, the future of that nation shall be haphazard, disorderly, primitive and grossly underdeveloped.

When I was done talking with those youths, I knew some of them had their orientation changed from certificate - consciousness to education-consciousness.

Education goes way beyond academics. Education is the total transformation of the mental as well as other faculties of the man. Our education merely addresses the academic needs of the students. They're only taught theorems and formulas that are geared towards the achievement of that cerfiticate. Much of what's needed to survive and succeed in the real life are not taught in the university.

A certificate conscious education only produces paper graduates. It discourages students imbibing the culture of reading beyond their exams. As soon as the exams are over, many students never go back to that material again. Why should they go back? They've written the exams. Mission accomplished. Many stop reading once they secured that dream job. Why should they continue? They've secured a job. Mission accomplished. Students read because they want to pass an exam, not because they want to reduce their ignorance OR become better persons.

A certificate - conscious education damages the psyche of students. I've seen students wrote exams on the dirtiest of environments- a grim deviation from the purpose of education. They don't mind writing exams even in a soak-away as far as it's a step towards getting that certificate. I've seen students wrote exams on bare floors. They never thought that should not happen. It meant nothing to them. It's all about the degree. It's all about the certificates. It's all about the paper. Their sense of morality and decency is so destroyed and damaged. They have no limits to what they can bear as far as it brings that degree closer. I've seen students drop dirts on the school campus. It meant nothing to them. No regard for their environment. It's all about the degree.

It produces dummies. It produces certificated dummies. How could a graduate not express themselves in simple terms? One was employed my my company years back. He couldn't even spell basic words. That's the product from a certificate-conscious system. We have many educated dummies in the society, roaming the streets with their papers.

It limits your chances of success. This system creates an entitlement mentality in us. We think by becoming graduates the society owes us a job. How wrong! Your degree, without other personal developmental skills, guarantees more failure than it does success. Your IQ is responsible for only a tiny portion of your success; it's your EQ that guarantees the greater part. Society doesn't owe you a job. You fight and get one for yourself.

It produces dummy leaders. We have them around in the nation. From the national assembly to the governors and to the state assemblies to the LGAs. We have certificated thugs making laws for us. They didn't start there. They are a product of the mad system. People without values, beliefs and traditions are only produced in such an education sector.

You and I didn't go that school to get a degree. You didn't go because others are there. You went there because you saw a need for personal enlightment and education. Are you narrowed to your degree and course? Are you allowing the system to limit you? Are you a slave of the system? You can change all that. Is your academics interfering with your education? Are you properly educated? Look beyond tour degree; it doesn't guarantee food. It doesn't guarantee anything. Develop other skills. Read because you want to develop, not because you want to acquire a paper.

How many of your past courses do you still remember it's contents? Very few, I guess. That's because you threw away the materials after writing the exams!

Make study a habit. Explore. Read. You will not only pass your exams, but you shall always become fit for the challenges life will throw your way after your formal education.

Cc: Lalasticlala, you need to see this also.

A Nigerian Federal University Exams Hall.

52 Likes 13 Shares

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by ladyF(f): 9:50am On Aug 21, 2015
True

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 9:57am On Aug 21, 2015
Here in 9ja..

"Finish school and start living the real life "

Teachers should help create interpreneural mindset on students. Stop making them see certificate as one final buss top... Hmnmmmmmmmmmm.

After school if you no get job or capital to establish yourself. O. Y. O.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by francizy(m): 10:04am On Aug 21, 2015
Skills does it all!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Viktor1983(m): 10:21am On Aug 21, 2015
spot on. Nice write up dearpreye

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by bare1(m): 10:50am On Aug 21, 2015
francizy:
Skills does it all!!!

Education does it all bro. Through specialized knowledge you get skills.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by kaboninc(m): 10:14pm On Aug 21, 2015
DearPreye,

I do agree with the meaning of your entire post. But I disagree with some points you raised.

Firstly, education is the best legacy a father can bequeath unto his children. Education is the best gift a society can bequeath to her people. The evidence of being educated is the issuance of a certificate most especially in formal forms of education.

Education can also be informal and this form does not need a certificate. It does not need a proof of paper but by actions and words.

In the world today, paper qualification - formal proofs of education will always be an integral part or nexus in the grand scheme of things. The proof signifies that you have acquired the requisite skill, knowledge and understanding in a particular field of endeavour. It signifies that you have the capability and depending on the 'grade', it shows the level of intelligence you exhibit in that field.

This is the reason grading was introduced. The very best were graded at the very top and as performances varies, individuals are assessed. This reminds me of my convocation wherein I was said to have been found worthy both in character and in learning.

So education is very crucial in every field of life and a certificate is a proof of being educated.

However, the manner, style and condition in which education is taught is the crux.....not certificate or no certificate. We have a problem with how we are taught in schools. We do not have quality education in most of our schools. We lack good tutors, good administrators, good infrastructure, good and well revised and updated curricular, funding. These things add up to the rots we have today. And that is why we say the certificates are worthless and at the same time, downplaying the importance of education and most especially certificates.

Education provides the means for learning. Learning the works of others and bringing into life our innovations and ideas while using the works of others as our lunching pad. That way, we create our own pad for others to use as theirs and the cycle continues.

Thus in all, education and a certificate is very vital for personal and societal growth.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by francizy(m): 5:55am On Aug 22, 2015
kaboninc:
DearPreye,

I do agree with the meaning of your entire post. But I disagree with some points you raised.

Firstly, education is the best legacy a father can bequeath unto his children. Education is the best gift a society can bequeath to her people. The evidence of being educated is the issuance of a certificate most especially in formal forms of education.

Education can also be informal and this form does not need a certificate. It does not need a proof of paper but by actions and words.

In the world today, paper qualification - formal proofs of education will always be an integral part or nexus in the grand scheme of things. The proof signifies that you have acquired the requisite skill, knowledge and understanding in a particular field of endeavour. It signifies that you have the capability and depending on the 'grade', it shows the level of intelligence you exhibit in that field.

This is the reason grading was introduced. The very best were graded at the very top and as performances varies, individuals are assessed. This reminds me of my convocation wherein I was said to have been found wordy both in character and in learning.

So education is very crucial in every field of life and a certificate is a proof of being educated.

However, the manner, style and condition in which education is taught is the crux.....not certificate or no certificate. We have a problem with how we are taught in schools. We do not have quality education in most of our schools. We lack good tutors, good administrators, good infrastructure, good and well revised and updated curricular, funding. These things add up to the rots we have today. And that is why we say the certificates are worthless and at the same time, downplaying the importance of education and most especially certificates.

Education provides the means for learning. Learning the works of others and bringing into life our innovations and ideas while using the works of others as our lunching pad. That way, we create our own pad for others to use as theirs and the cycle continues.

Thus in all, education and a certificate is very vital for personal and societal growth.

All this epistemological epistle just to demonstrate how important education is?
Make I hear say all my children no sabi 50 different skills (entrepreneurial inclusive) during their sec school and uni. undecided

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by kaboninc(m): 6:02am On Aug 22, 2015
francizy:

All this epistemological epistle just to demonstrate how important education is?
Make I hear say all my children no sabi 50 different skills (entrepreneurial inclusive) during their sec school and uni. undecided

Were you educated or not?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by francizy(m): 6:06am On Aug 22, 2015
kaboninc:

Were you educated or not?

Not really, I bought degree certificate.. grin cheesy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by kaboninc(m): 6:18am On Aug 22, 2015
francizy:

Not really, I bought degree certificate.. grin cheesy

Yeye boi

Goan sleep joor. This is mid night

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by francizy(m): 6:25am On Aug 22, 2015
kaboninc:

Yeye boi

Goan sleep joor. This is mid night

This is midnight? E be like say you ma attend night school too oh... shocked

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by francizy(m): 6:49am On Aug 22, 2015
I still maintain that skills does it all. Education to me is just a plus. Academic learning without skills to back it up, does little to elevate one especially in a difficult country like ours.

If I had known how much skills are worth, how much people make for doing what they love doing rather than what the society wants from them, I'd have studied either Fine Arts, Architecture or Industrial Design. Because these are courses laced with real time practice whether in an advanced country or a country like ours. I used to be very good at reproducing pictures with pencil. Now I would have probable made millions doing my own thing order than banking on the dy/dx and strength of materials the university taught me.

My children will all be enrolled in one training school or the other from their JSS1 (based on the orientation given to them and based on what they choose to learn) and whenever they are on long break. As their dad, I will make sure they balance these skills perfectly well with academics.

Don't get me wrong tho, education is great but the best thing to do for a child is teaching that kid how to make it in life. Apparently, our educational system teaches one how to be dependent and that is why we have hundreds of thousands of job seekers out there.

Now we emphasize on how important education is and then push all our kids to school. Some of them excel in their academics and we love, cherish and shower them with gifts while we despise those ones who don't perform well in school. We've never asked ourseleves questions like, what if the ones taking first position lacks the practical prowess and ability to get things done while the supposed "dull" one might be a practical guru and his brains tend to pick up moving objects better than stories on text books?

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 12:14pm On Aug 22, 2015
My dear dearpreye, pls post on Facebook. Will really love to share this wonderful piece.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 12:31pm On Aug 22, 2015
peppyluv02:
My dear dearpreye, pls post on Facebook. Will really love to share this wonderful piece.

My dear, good afternoon. I'm just reluctant about it shaaa....You may copy it shaaa......
Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 22, 2015
peppyluv02:

My dear, good afternoon. I'm just reluctant about it shaaa....You may copy it shaaa......

You know this is your forte. LOL!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by bare1(m): 8:25am On Aug 23, 2015
francizy:
I still maintain that skills does it all. Education to me is just a plus. Academic learning without skills to back it up, does little to elevate one especially in a difficult country like ours.

If I had known how much skills are worth, how much people make for doing what they love doing rather than what the society wants from them, I'd have studied either Fine Arts, Architecture or Industrial Design. Because these are courses laced with real time practice whether in an advanced country or a country like ours. I used to be very good at reproducing pictures with pencil. Now I would have probable made millions doing my own thing order than banking on the dy/dx and strength of materials the university taught me.

My children will all be enrolled in one training school or the other from their JSS1 (based on the orientation given to them and based on what they choose to learn) and whenever they are on long break. As their dad, I will make sure they balance these skills perfectly well with academics.

Don't get me wrong tho, education is great but the best thing to do for a child is teaching that kid how to make it in life. Apparently, our educational system teaches one how to be dependent and that is why we have hundreds of thousands of job seekers out there.

Now we emphasize on how important education is and then push all our kids to school. Some of them excel in their academics and we love, cherish and shower them with gifts while we despise those ones who don't perform well in school. We've never asked ourseleves questions like, what if the ones taking first position lacks the practical prowess and ability to get things done while the supposed "dull" one might be a practical guru and his brains tend to pick up moving objects better than stories on text books?

Will they swallow the skills? Wouldn't they still be educated? grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by bare1(m): 8:27am On Aug 23, 2015
dearpreye:

You know this is your forte. LOL!

Why reluctant Sir? People need to learn this stuff.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 8:31am On Aug 23, 2015
bare1:

Why reluctant Sir? People need to learn this stuff.

Bro, I'm sorry. I've been writing some very important examinations. I'll be through soonest.

I'm happy you got the message I passed across. I may not have captured it perfectly but it's good to know you got the message.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by bare1(m): 1:05pm On Aug 23, 2015
dearpreye:

Bro, I'm sorry. I've been writing some very important examinations. I'll be through soonest.

I'm happy you got the message I passed across. I may not have captured it perfectly but it's good to know you got the message.

It's cool brother. I wish you all the best in your examinations.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 23, 2015
bare1:

It's cool brother. I wish you all the best in your examinations.

Thanks bro. I'm also done with them. Had to suspend my personal development books for a short while, though I still occasionally peep into them. They've formed a part of my life.
Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by bare1(m): 2:19pm On Aug 23, 2015
dearpreye:

Thanks bro. I'm also done with them. Had to suspend my personal development books for a short while, though I still occasionally peep into them. They've formed a part of my life.

That's good to here, you're surely on a path to greatness. And by the way, welcome back to the personal development world smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 23, 2015
bare1:

That's good to here, you're surely on a path to greatness. And by the way, welcome back to the personal development world smiley

Thanks boss. In recent times I've found myself almost always wanting to encourage people everywhere I go to pursue their own development . And I seem to just flow well along as I drop a few words with them.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by bare1(m): 2:51pm On Aug 23, 2015
dearpreye:

Thanks boss. In recent times I've found myself almost always wanting to encourage people everywhere I go to pursue their own development . And I seem to just flow well along as I drop a few words with them.

That's good brother. You're coming from a good place and that's to show you're developing because as you do, you realise the need for others to become better and as you go in deeper, you just wanna help them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 23, 2015
bare1:

That's good brother. You're coming from a good place and that's to show you're developing because as you do, you realise the need for others to become better and as you go in deeper, you just wanna help them.

You're right. The more you know and understand a matter, you humbler you become and greater your desire to assist and encourage others.

I was travelling from Owerri just a few days back. Somehow I raised the issue of education and it's challenges. From there I diverted into the need for everyone to develop themselves. When I was done talking, it was obvious I was doing what really gives me fulfilment.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by bare1(m): 3:13pm On Aug 23, 2015
dearpreye:

You're right. The more you know and understand a matter, you humbler you become and greater your desire to assist and encourage others.

I was travelling from Owerri just a few days back. Somehow I raised the issue of education and it's challenges. From there I diverted into the need for everyone to develop themselves. When I was done talking, it was obvious I was doing what really gives me fulfilment.

That's great bro. It's clear that you just might have found your definite major purpose, your core values that gives you joy to see other people want to get better and help them in doing so. What greater purpose in life than to help people. I urge you to go all out in it, I can assure there's a lot you can achieve doing it besides that fulfillment which is already a great feeling on its own.
If you decide to do so, we can work together. I like to connect with coaches and someday we just might form a worldwide network.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 3:18pm On Aug 23, 2015
bare1:

That's great bro. It's clear that you just might have found your definite major purpose, your core values that gives you joy to see other people want to get better and help them in doing so. What greater purpose in life than to help people. I urge you to go all out in it, I can assure there's a lot you can achieve doing it besides that fulfillment which is already a great feeling on its own.
If you decide to do so, we can work together. I like to connect with coaches and someday we just might form a worldwide network.

I think I agree with your opening comment. Sometimes I'll speak and speak for more than hour and still has enough desire and passion to continue. It sure gives me joy! When I chose to HSE professional I never really knew I'll be going deeper into understanding humans and their underlying behaviours.

It's so fulfilling combining personal development with my career job. It gives me a greater sense of fulfilment.

I believe we can keep getting better and seek opportunities to meet other like minded folks with who we could get a wider scope.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by bare1(m): 3:52pm On Aug 23, 2015
dearpreye:

I think I agree with your opening comment. Sometimes I'll speak and speak for more than hour and still has enough desire and passion to continue. It sure gives me joy! When I chose to HSE professional I never really knew I'll be going deeper into understanding humans and their underlying behaviours.

It's so fulfilling combining personal development with my career job. It gives me a greater sense of fulfilment.

I believe we can keep getting better and seek opportunities to meet other like minded folks with who we could get a wider scope.

You're pursuing a nice career, a crucial one too. As a matter of fact anything that gives us fulfillment is what we should pursue. Personally I've never fancied the idea of a job and so I go blank at the thought of it. I've always wanted to be free as a bird to diversify into my numerous interests and monetize them all. So I thought I shouldn't spend my best years building someone else's dream. If anything, I should spend my strong years working on my dream so I don't even bother about retirement since I would be living my dreams.
Some would say I'm thinking business like an Igbo man which I am but not so, this is business building, something I learnt from Robert Kiyosaki years ago and also from following Richard Branson.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 23, 2015
bare1:

You're pursuing a nice career, a crucial one too. As a matter of fact anything that gives us fulfillment is what we should pursue. Personally I've never fancied the idea of a job and so I go blank at the thought of it. I've always wanted to be free as a bird to diversify into my numerous interests and monetize them. So I thought I shouldn't spend my best years building someone else's dream. If anything, I should spend my strong years working on my dream so I don't even bother about retirement since I would be living my dreams.

Hmmm! Well, I guess I didn't know what you o ow early enough. No excuse though. You've thought really well.
Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by bare1(m): 4:03pm On Aug 23, 2015
dearpreye:

Hmmm! Well, I guess I didn't know what you o ow early enough. No excuse though. You've thought really well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 23, 2015
bare1:

Obviously, you've planned everything out from years back.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? / Spelling Bee Competition: Abdulazeez Abdulrahmon Emerges Lagos One Day Governor / Top 100 Universities And Polytechnics In Nigeria- August, 2013 Ranking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.